• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monolith Soft's Wii U game "X" coming 2014 [E3 Trailer]

Status
Not open for further replies.

onilink88

The nothing brought on by this bump rends my soul. But seriously, I hope we get a trailer (not teaser) at Nintendo's September conference; I've got every frame of the two teasers practically memorized, and I need more. They still hold those... right?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
The nothing brought on by this bump rends my soul. But seriously, I hope we get a trailer (not teaser) at Nintendo's September conference; I've got every frame of the two teasers practically memorized, and I need more. They still hold those... right?

probably

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

It would be nice, but I'm not expecting more from this game until next year. I'd guess Nintendo would rather focus on their attention holiday titles that will be available soon and not something that could be over a year off at this point.

Then again you could say the same thing about it's announcement (being shown prior to Mario and DK despite coming after them) and E3. Hoping for the best.

I just noticed something in the E3 2013 trailer. Is it possible that the number of party members has increased to 4?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APWTJMyM4qg&t=1m19s

If you look 1:20 in, you can catch the glimpse of a third human character running. Making it the mech + 3 human-type characters.

4chrS_zpsa42a0a37.jpg

and because of the doll fuel gauge being displayed, the person playing the game is controlling the doll.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I just noticed something in the E3 2013 trailer. Is it possible that the number of party members has increased to 4?

If you look 1:20 in, you can catch the glimpse of a third human character running. Making it the mech + 3 human-type characters.

4chrS_zpsa42a0a37.jpg

and because of the doll fuel gauge being displayed, the person playing the game is controlling the doll.

If you look at the minimap you can see that there's a blue dot (player) and three green dots, (the other characters) and a fourth green dot off on the edge.

With stuff like this and some of the stuff in the first trailer it seems like there is a good chance of this being a more online-heavy game than a lot of people think it is.

Gambit

If you look at the minimap you can see that there's a blue dot (player) and three green dots, (the other characters) and a fourth green dot off on the edge.

With stuff like this and some of the stuff in the first trailer it seems like there is a good chance of this being a more online-heavy game than a lot of people think it is.

It being too online-heavy is my only fear with this game. I hope it basically plays like Xenoblade, but other players can control the party members.

Just recently, after having been abstinent for a couple months, I've watched the trailer again. Gotta say, it still does the trick.

D-e-f-

Banned

4chrS_zpsa42a0a37.jpg

You're a few months late :D

Maybe that's not all though.

Anybody noticed this?

5 Players? Could it be? Wii U loves its five player games. But all the Party UI we've seen had a max of 4 players listed. Doesn't make sense. But then what's with the additional green dots! Btw, in the first shot, you have to squint a little since all three dots occupy almost the same space but I think you can see that there's actually three, correlating to the three characters (Pig Tail Girl, cut-off off-screen person and Mech with the fourth and center dot being the player-controlled character on the right of the mech (bulky muscle armor dude).

Discussion about it can be found on subsequent pages.

It's tough to properly read/interpret the UI shown. We also discussed the different colors of the icons.

Just recently, after having been abstinent for a couple months, I've watched the trailer again. Gotta say, it still does the trick.

Yea it's still working its magic like it just came out.

onilink88

Well, the Fall conference was a total bust. :/

It's tough to properly read/interpret the UI shown.

Actually, I think you hit the nail on the head.

Blue diamond: represents your, the player's, character
Green diamond: other human players (and when there are are more status boxes than green diamonds on the screen, it simply means that not everyone is engaged in combat)
AI party members are not represented on the radar
Yellow diamonds: named NPCs
Red diamonds: enemies

I was the one throwing you off cuz I couldn't seem to grasp how the human characters were represented on the UI and radar. :p

D-e-f-

Banned
Well, the Fall conference was a total bust. :/

Actually, I think you hit the nail on the head.

Blue diamond: represents your, the player's, character
Green diamond: other human players (and when there are are more status boxes than green diamonds on the screen, it simply means that not everyone is engaged in combat)
AI party members are not represented on the radar
Yellow diamonds: named NPCs
Red diamonds: enemies

I was the one throwing you off cuz I couldn't seem to grasp how the human characters were represented on the UI and radar. :p

Let's just pretend I was cleverly trying to fool you into reminding me of what we concluded with and give a brief summary since I forgot nearly all of it :D

That said, man I'm so ready for a 2014 Preview Direct in November! Make it happen!

D-e-f-

Banned

onilink88

Let's just pretend I was cleverly trying to fool you into reminding me of what we concluded with and give a brief summary since I forgot nearly all of it :D

That said, man I'm so ready for a 2014 Preview Direct in November! Make it happen!

There's an ND in November? D:

I hadn't seen it before but there's an Amazon UK page for "X". No new details or images but maybe they're running with "X" as the name?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Monolith-Software-Inc-X-Wii/dp/B00E4LGEPQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381679858&sr=8-1&keywords=x+wii+u

Nah, they're probably using X as the placeholder name, instead of Xenoblade/2 like other sites have. This is, without question, another entry in the Xeno series. It's just a matter of what the suffix will be.

Riki

It will be interesting to see just how Online is handled in this game. It doesn't seem to be a full MMO. But maybe it's more than just some of your party being friends. Could be small servers with like a dozen or so people all playing at once.

NeOak

It will be interesting to see just how Online is handled in this game. It doesn't seem to be a full MMO. But maybe it's more than just some of your party being friends. Could be small servers with like a dozen or so people all playing at once.

Think PSO Ep 1&2/BB

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
This game doesn't even have a placeholder name, that's why X is used. Nintendo has just called it "A brand new game from Monolith Soft."

onilink88

It will be interesting to see just how Online is handled in this game. It doesn't seem to be a full MMO.

It doesn't seem to be an MMO in any capacity. If you want a (base) model of how the game's multiplayer will be handled, you should look at Soma Bringer.

D-e-f-

Banned
There's an ND in November? D:

It's obviously not announced but there will be one. If you look back at the year, you'll notice that we had at least one ND every single month. So there'll definitely be one in November. It might just be a Mario-special, though. Who knows. Then we'll get another one in December (remember the regular two-month schedule that started in October 2011) but that might just be Japan-only again (last year's might have been an outlier due to the Wii U launching).

And I'm guessing we'll get another preview with upcoming games at some point soon. I believe during the Holiday rush, BEFORE Black Friday would be the smarter choice than waiting until after Christmas and doing it in January again.

Riki

It doesn't seem to be an MMO in any capacity. If you want a (base) model of how the game's multiplayer will be handled, you should look at Soma Bringer.

Right, but from what we can tell, you have can more than just a base party of three in your team. As well as they can go pretty much anywhere they want.

onilink88

Right, but from what we can tell, you have can more than just a base party of three in your team. As well as they can go pretty much anywhere they want.

Just think of X like you would Xenoblade, except where you have the option to have the other two party members (but with however many X will allow in a single party) controlled by friends (who can stray from you if they want, once again, like SB) via the net.

Anyways, I'm out for the day.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

It's hard to tell. Doesn't Destiny plant random players in your game as you go through it? With this having a fully seemless world it could be something like that, with the option of inviting friends, which I'd say is sort of "MMO-lite."

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Surprised how quite they are about this game...hope thats a good thing...

fred

If they do end up calling it 'X' would that go down in history as the shortest name for a video game..? Can't think of any other game that's just one character. I'd be very cool with them just calling it X, certainly something that people would remember.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Another question: So there is a consensus that the game will have multiplayer?

99.9% yes.

If they do end up calling it 'X' would that go down in history as the shortest name for a video game..? Can't think of any other game that's just one character. I'd be very cool with them just calling it X, certainly something that people would remember.

It would technically be tied. Because there has been a game called X before. Edit: Actually, all the games in that series had a subtitle, so I guess not.

But it won't be called X. Nintendo is not even calling it that, it's just a made-up placeholder because we have nothing else to call it.

gemoran4

Surprised how quite they are about this game...hope thats a good thing...

I mean the game isn't coming out for another year, so not too surprised. It's not like they've advertised Mario Kart 8 all that much yet and that's a big money maker for them. They're likely going to focus on advertising for their fall titles, and after the holiday season start advertising games like Mario Kart and X.

L~A

Pretty sure this is gonna be 4-characters party, and all can be controlled by players instead of AI, via the internet. Other than that, I have no idea. GamePad will probably be used to control the Doll, or whatever it's called.

It sure is an intriguin game. The E3 trailer showed a game that was pretty advanced as far as development goes, and you could feel how further they were compared to the January trailer. It was like night and day.

Mariolee

I don't understand why they wouldn't go with X at this point. Thats how it's generally known to the gaming audience anyway, and it sounds pretty cool.

D-e-f-

Banned
I don't understand why they wouldn't go with X at this point. Thats how it's generally known to the gaming audience anyway, and it sounds pretty cool.

Because it's a terrible name that also happens to mean nothing (at least not without additional context). You can't market it, you can't really have people talk about "X" 'cause someone is always gonna be irritated or think you don't even know what game you're talking about and then there's the fact that there are two games called X already. One is a Nintendo-developed GameBoy game, the other is a PC space-sim that is still very much a popular thing these days.

zoukka

Placeholder names never matter. People were bitter about Wii not being Revolution, Vita not being... well I can't even remember it and so on. The masses don't care.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Be still, my beating heart. One of these days this thread will be bumped with something worthwhile ;_;.

Game looks SO GOOD. I really can't wait to get my hands on it.

Disclaimer: I am aware of the irony in the fact that my post itself bumped the topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom