• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Boy Announced

pSM86PH.png

I bet there's a hidden hamster form

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The sad thing about North American Master System games is that their music was downgraded since NA never got the FM unit that the Japanese MkIII had available. Phantasy Star is one of the biggest sufferers (cue djtiesto coming in to defend the PSG music). At least the retranslation patch re-enabled the FM music so English players can enjoy it.

I want 3D classics PS1 so bad with all of the fixings.

I'll be following the progress of this game all-year intensely. Super excited for this. I know we don't have a hard release date given the game's only just been announced but do you guys think a 2015 window is possible? Winter 2015 at the latest surely?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Man I can't wait to see some video of this, I liked the artstyle in FH2 (and I hope they make more games starring that guy) but this is just gorgeous stuff.

TLDR: It's extremely early. The developer's barely started development. The final end product will be iterated and probably look much better.

I don't think it's quite that early, Flying Hamster 2 should prove to be a solid foundation to base this game on already, it would be silly to start entirely from scratch :p.

Delstius

I'll be following the progress of this game all-year intensely. Super excited for this. I know we don't have a hard release date given the game's only just been announced but do you guys think a 2015 window is possible? Winter 2015 at the latest surely?

The site say 2015 apparently now, Winter 2015 sounds likely.

Krejlooc

Banned
The sad thing about North American Master System games is that their music was downgraded since NA never got the FM unit that the Japanese MkIII had available. Phantasy Star is one of the biggest sufferers (cue djtiesto coming in to defend the PSG music). At least the retranslation patch re-enabled the FM music so English players can enjoy it.

What's even sadder is that there are games released in the west that have fm soundtracks that weren't released in Japan. Meaning, for years, these soundtracks were entirely unheard.

Dingotech

Oh boy! The Wonder Boy game was one of my favourite games from my childhood!

It just felt so epic and I even loved just grinding some gold to buy the best armour/weapons.

Day one!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Few times when a thread actually is what one hopes it is!

I really loved the look of FHII's KS, even though I wasn't able to contribute at the time. I'll definitely be there Day One when this is released though (especially if it makes it to XB1), as I really enjoyed (and need to return to) the Monster World Collection on XBLA, and Dragon's Trap on WII VC.

I'm happy to see the hero being a classic Blue-Hair'd Once-Generic-Anime-Hero#145101827, there's really not enough of them in games anymore, lol. Part of why I like playing Marth in Smash is because he reminds me of Rolf in Phantasy Star II...

Rip pixels. This high resolution 2D style looks so flat and cheap, never a fan of it. Usually goes hand in hand with flash style animation.

His character sprite looks ridiculous.

I'm happy for the developer, and would probably be OK with this if it had nothing to do with the Wonderboy legacy.

Did you look at the Flying Hamster 2 gifs and images on the previous pages? While it's surely not glorious pixels... I think people need to let these games grow and stop being so harsh on 1st game-in-a-series efforts before they get to develop. The 1st Monster World games weren't incredibly stunning either (especially some ports), but look at how gorgeous they become by Monster Wold IV. (Can this game get an Asha cameo?)

I really appreciate the fact that Game Atelier's flash-like base models get a good amount of real animation work applied to them, similar to Vanillaware's games. It helps bridge the gap between robotic skeletal animation and pixel-like hand crafted animation, and I still find it sad that more classic game developers don't take the jump towards doing such. Every time you see works like this, they're by neophytes who don't have a tower of experience, while most of the experiences crafters are off making cellphone games or something.

So I'm really glad to see willing talent hooked up with a classic creator here. This totally needs to happen more often. If JP isn't going to develop it's 2D game-making tech so they can iterate on their classic designs and characters in HD Hand-drawn art, then get them hooked up to people who are trying their best to do it.

Man, if the reaction to this game's announcement is this overwhelmingly positive (as reported by FDG Entertainment themselves) than what if Monster Boy is a huge Shovel Knight-like success as it's looking likely that it will be and this game single handedly revives the Wonderboy franchise and secures sequels to the game in the future?

I'd be over the moon if that happened. Reading the positive reactions everywhere to just the damn game announcement makes this scenario quite probable.

Holy shit this is awesome, one of my all time favorite game series. Can't believe this is finally happening after all this time. Art style so far doesn't quite look as good as the original but it's pretty hard to complain, plus it's early times. Either way we're getting a ne fucking wonderboy and that's pretty hard to believe.

stuminus3

Man, if the reaction to this game's announcement is this overwhelmingly positive (as reported by FDG Entertainment themselves) than what if Monster Boy is a huge Shovel Knight-like success as it's looking likely that it will be and this game single handedly revives the Wonderboy franchise and secures sequels to the game in the future?

I'd be over the moon if that happened. Reading the positive reactions everywhere to just the damn game announcement makes this scenario quite probable.
Sadly... I think you overestimate the popularity of the WB/MW franchise. Those of us who love it tend to really,really love it, hence the positivity. But there's not that many of us, really. Shovel Knight was a throwback to NES classics which were way more popular (in North America at least). I would be very happy to be wrong in the end though. :)

M3d10n

Indie developer makes a game inspired by a famous dead series. Tries to do a kickstarter but it fails. Later gets the rights to the series they were inspired by and turns their game into an official sequel. Quite the interesting story.

So maybe there's a chance we'll see a "Phantasy Universe" by Zeboyd games in the future?

Delstius

Sadly... I think you overestimate the popularity of the WB/MW franchise. Those of us who love it tend to really,really love it, hence the positivity. But there's not that many of us, really. Shovel Knight was a throwback to NES classics which were way more popular (in North America at least). I would be very happy to be wrong in the end though. :)

Pretty much, hence why the Flying Hamster II Kickstarter got canceled, barely making 30k.

I think the main character design needs a bit of work though.

Agree, the hamster hero was actually much more charming, I hope they'll improve him.

Krejlooc

Banned
Honestly, what's missing from the screenshots is the awesome Chibi art style the old games used to have. They were this SD/Chibi look with enormous eyes that oozed style. Seeing the protagonist with tiny eyes looks wrong.

It might just be a temporary sprite, though. The Penguin enemy they show with the shield has proper monster world eyes.

I see where you're coming from and agree to a certain extent. Wonderboy is a niche, cult game that didn't light the world on fire even when Sega ruled over the console gaming planet in their retro days. However the Wonderboy name still carries a loving, nostalgic weight behind it and secondary to this the games industry or more particularly the indie games industry is heavily dependent on quality to which the algorithm of quality determines commercial performance. There are hundreds of indie games that came out of nowhere to sell hundreds of thousands of units (Shovel Knight 300K, Transistor 600K) and those games sold well because the games were excellent and received glowing reviews that gave them the spotlight and positive coverage in the games press.

So what I'm saying is that with the Wonderboy name, talent of the original team members and if the game's fantastic? I can see it becoming a success sufficient to green light at least one sequel.

Can't copy img from iPhone, but all characters are on hamster 2 page https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/612975670/flying-hamster-ii

Ah-hah! Great find.

nSIiQHY.gif

Looks like they may have altered one or two designs though. I'm thinking the last two may have been edited or replaced.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Ah-hah! Great find.

nSIiQHY.gif

Looks like they may have altered one or two designs though. I'm thinking the last two may have been edited or replaced.

It said as much in the info that takao posted:

Two new transformations replacing the bear and the hamster

Probably a lion and a dragon. The dragon seems to have a beak or something. I kind of jokingly said it was a basilisk. (It's the wing, not a beak.)

liondragon_zpsecf104ed.png

Quick and dirty dragon:

dragon_zps588806eb.png

pmj

I don't like how it looks. It's not at all ugly, but Monster Land/World has a certain charm to it which isn't there.

I also don't like the name. The series has had multiple protagonists, but now they're probably locked into this one for sequels, should this game be successful. All for a dumb pun.

I don't like how it looks. It's not at all ugly, but Monster Land/World has a certain charm to it which isn't there.

I also don't like the name. The series has had multiple protagonists, but now they're probably locked into this one for sequels, should this game be successful. All for a dumb pun.

I agree. If they're actually working with the original creator, make the characters look more like they used to.
I think it would be way cooler to see Wonder Boy III HD or something with a 2.5D look.

sörine

Banned

I agree. In a weird way I feel like Flying Hamster II came a little closer to MW's bubbly charm even.

Don't worry about sequels though, they could always change the title for different protagonists. I'd be down for Monster Gal.

Sword Familiar

sörine;149877284 said:
I agree. In a weird way I feel like Flying Hamster II came a little closer to MW's bubbly charm even.

Don't worry about sequels though, they could always change the title for different protagonists. I'd be down for Monster Gal.

Monster Girl in Wonder World would have been the best imo. Would have been a nod to the old while sticking with the zeitgeist of making the protag female, but alas.

bj00rn_

Banned
I don't know how much money I spent reaching the end of Monster Boy in Wonder Land back in the days, it was plenty for sure..

Hope some of the nostalgia is retained when playing this one..

Sword Familiar

I hope the pig form redesign has an eyepatch. It seems to at least retain the scarf from the pig merchants of yore.

1390300558606_zpsb53da526.png

pig_zpse487dbd9.png

Wouldn't make sense for the MC to suddenly get one though, I guess, since both of his eyes are intact.

entremet

What's even sadder is that there are games released in the west that have fm soundtracks that weren't released in Japan. Meaning, for years, these soundtracks were entirely unheard.

There is the FM Mod for the SMS. But that's pretty hardcore and I've only heard of a few people who have who have done it. You need soldering skills.

I find it crazy that these games have these hidden sound tracks after all these years lol.

Top Bottom