• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Boy Announced

This looks great... But it also brought back long repressed memories of those red vertical moving blocks.

Fuck those blocks so much.

Day 1.

Wonder Boy in Monster Land was one of the first games I owned on my Sega Mastersystem.

And Wonder Boy in Monster World on the Genesis is still one of my favorite side scrolling rpg-type games. I so wanted Odin's Sphere to be like that....

I hope the pig form redesign has an eyepatch. It seems to at least retain the scarf from the pig merchants of yore.

Wouldn't make sense for the MC to suddenly get one though, I guess, since both of his eyes are intact.

Great thing about the developer is they're evidently and obviously massive and hardcore Wonderboy fans so I think this game will be full of little touches and throwbacks to the original games. Like Krejlooc posted a while back they're even directly lifting enemies from Wonderboy III: The Dragon's Trap. I wouldn't be surprised if that particular transformation character aligns with the original design from the old games. This is the thing; the developers started out developing a Wonderboy homage game because they deeply know the original games so they're the perfect developers for a project like this. Just so glad a real publisher swooped in and gave them the backing they need to energise the project and allow it to be created.

I'm still there day fucking zero for this. And I'm glad NeoGAF's response is so positive because as the publisher indicated they're reading this thread.

I'm still there day fucking zero for this. And I'm glad NeoGAF's response is so positive because as the publisher indicated they're reading this thread.

They are?

Well let me just say if they include anything like this:

capturee8u9w.png

I will hunt them down :p

Khaz

There is the FM Mod for the SMS. But that's pretty hardcore and I've only heard of a few people who have who have done it. You need soldering skills.

I find it crazy that these games have these hidden sound tracks after all these years lol.

It's really basic soldering on a SMS1, it's using the expansion port, you just need to solder three wires to get the sound back in your system. The SMS2 is trickier as it doesn't have an expansion port, so you need to solder everything to the chips.

But for the lazy with a Megadrive, there is now a Power Base FM Converter! Plays your favourite Master System games on your Megadrive with restored glorious FM sound.

Cynn

Monster World IV is still in my top 10 of all time. It's localized on PSN if you don't have a Mega Drive!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

Tried to make a Monster World themed team on #IDARB in celebration of this news! Team and Logo are not bad, but the music I tried to make, based off MWIV's theme is pretty bunk, lol. If anyone who's actually good at makin; music with it would like to share their versions, I'd love to hear!

Mzo

They are?

Wonder Boy in Monster World on the Genesis had a similar sequence that went even crazier at the end. I hope the new version pays homage to that as well.

And that it inexplicably ends up in space with robots.

Monster World IV is still in my top 10 of all time. It's localized on PSN if you don't have a Mega Drive!

And Xbox Live and the Wii VC.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Looks interesting. What platforms are older titles of the series found on?

Arcade, Megadrive/Genesis, TG16, NES, many of the old systems /computers of the time.

Now, you can find parts of it On PC, Wii, PS3, and Xbox 360. The Monster World collection on the PS360s, and as separate releases on Wii's Virtual Console. It's a series that's had many spiritual successors and offshoots that were made under pseudonyms and such.

Pejo

Wow this is seriously great news. I haven't played a Monster Boy game since the 90s, but I'm damn ready for one.

sörine

Banned
Looks interesting. What platforms are older titles of the series found on?
Specifically talking about variations of the Monster World games (in english):

Monster World I
Wonder Boy in Monster Land (Wii, 360, PS3)
Wonder Boy in Monster Land (SMS, PS2, Wii)
Super Wonder Boy in Monster Land (C64)
Super Wonder Boy in Monster Land (Amiga)
Super Wonder Boy in Monster Land (ZXS)
Super Adventure Island (Mobile)

Monster World II
Wonder Boy III: The Dragon Trap (SMS, PS2, Wii)
Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap (GG, PS2)
Dragon's Curse (TG16, Wii)

Monster World III
Wonder Boy in Monster World (MD, PS2, Wii, 360, PS3)
Wonder Boy in Monster World (SMS, PS2)
The Dynastic Hero (TGCD, Wii)

Monster World IV (Wii, 360, PS3)

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Dude I i don't know, about what this about, but if it's a successor to the game boy announced...that's pretty rad...
im kinda buzzed so excuse my ignorance

So since this topic will undoubtedly turn into a westone love-fest, I got this in the mail a few days ago:

Very fun, reminds me of Granada on the Sega Genesis.

Ach, incredibly jealous. Aurail is one of my top favorite arcade games. I even have the first level music as my ringtone.

Krejlooc

Banned
I want this so bad. I literally just finished a new play through of Wonder Boy in Monster World.

I like the tons and tons small throw backs in that game, like using tom tom's axe to forge the legendary sword, or the pygmy chamber being the transformation chamber from wonderboy 3, or the penultimate boss being the boss from the original wonderboy, or the main town, puparil, being named after the princess from monster's lair.

It feels like being in on an incredibly intimate joke between gameplayer and developer. It feels like the developers loved what they were making.

I honestly can't believe this is happening.

Enk

makes good threads.
So on the subject of Monster World awesomeness, this Dragon's Curse remix is the shit:

32-bit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vhqev6k7xzjpyxo/DragonsCurse.rar?dl=0
64-bit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7oeio8wy78viqr0/DragonsTrap.zip?dl=0

This is a full remake of the game for modern windows. It uses the graphics from the PC Engine version of Wonderboy III: The Dragon's Trap, but features new level layouts.

Thanks for sharing this! Looking forward to giving this a thorough play through real soon.

This whole thing makes me wish I continued on with my Wonderboyish game I was originally going to make for GAF Creates years ago which ended up turning into something else. Wonderboy, Castlevania, Ghouls n' Ghosts, Mega Man, and, strangely, Shadow of the Beast are always in my veins when thinking about game designs. I'm very happy to see one of my influences is coming back and treated with the proper respect it deserves. Here's hoping that Shadow of the Beast reboot gets treated with the same amount of love (that's if it is still alive).

Crub

Wait... so who owns the rights the series assets now that Westone is defunct? The music in the reveal and the sunflower enemy in one of the images implies this is more than a spiritual sequel.

I know they can't use the title of the previous games, due to Sega holding the rights to the Wonder Boy and Monster World names.

Card Boy

Banned
Wait... so who owns the rights the series assets now that Westone is defunct? The music in the reveal and the sunflower enemy in one of the images implies this is more than a spiritual sequel.

I know they can't use the title of the previous games, due to Sega holding the rights to the Wonder Boy and Monster World names.

I guessing Sega judging from those Sega Mega Drive collections on Steam.

Tizoc

Bit of a dumb question but ParentGAF: Would you let your kids try this game out?

It just seems that any new game that's based on classic 80s and 90s era Platformers or games are more aimed at an older audience.

*Slowly weeps* I hope this comes to Xbox one or WiiU or Vita.. Or else I'll need to think of a ps4 sooner rather than later. Looks glorious

Yuterald

So excited that this Flying Hamster project turned into a real, legit Monster World game. The story behind it is fucking awesome too. I'd be so stoked if I were in the dev's shoes. Moster World IV is my favorite in the series, but I love all the games. Been playing Dragon's Trap prior to this announcement too, so good timing!

Delstius

Bit of a dumb question but ParentGAF: Would you let your kids try this game out?

It just seems that any new game that's based on classic 80s and 90s era Platformers or games are more aimed at an older audience.

It's a perfect series for kids (the first two games are hard though). Classic from 80s and 90s era appeal a lot to adult now because they played, and loved, that when they were kids.

Khaz

If you're talking about difficulty, my 8 years old me would kick my today's arse in videogames.

They are?

That's probably my favorite part of that whole game. There is this certain tension when you reach a spot like that which i love. You know the time is ticking and you've worked your way all the way through the game only to have this challenge in front of you. Of course now i could practically do it with my eyes closed but i'd love to get more challenges like that.

Hmmmmm ...

I don't think I've ever played a game of this series somehow.

Liking the art style though for sure. No time better then now to jump in and check out whats its all about

I like the tons and tons small throw backs in that game, like using tom tom's axe to forge the legendary sword, or the pygmy chamber being the transformation chamber from wonderboy 3, or the penultimate boss being the boss from the original wonderboy, or the main town, puparil, being named after the princess from monster's lair.

It feels like being in on an incredibly intimate joke between gameplayer and developer. It feels like the developers loved what they were making.

I honestly can't believe this is happening.

WBiMW was my first experience with the series in the Genesis days, but I caught the little nods after experiencing the earlier games later on in life.

Here's to hoping the Game Atelier pours as much love into this new adventure. Screens make me feel pretty optimistic

liquidtmd

Banned

Im sure they have reasons but if I were Sega id be tempted to say to them 'give us a little bit of change and you can use the name'.

Win/win for little effort?

Top Bottom