• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Games is making Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D

T.T. is just a clock with hands and feet so they could totally make an Original Character Do Not Steal that looks just like him. Call him Chronological Craig or some shit.

Update him for modern times, make him like a clock that always plays Temple Run and searches YouTube and shit

Neiteio

I think you guys are misunderstanding Christopher. By "like the Wii version," I'm fairly certain he just means "don't just PORT the Wii version, but add to it." I'm guessing he meant to say "retread of DKCR."

Retro Studios has about 80 developers in their studio. They could technically handle one decently big HD game and a small 3ds game?

Monster Games only has about 30 developers in their studio, they probably are mainly handling this one 3ds game till release.

But it's not like they're developing a 3DS game from scratch. The assets are all existing. It IS NOT the sort of project that takes a team like Monster over two years to tackle.

Schnozberry

But it's not like they're developing a 3DS game from scratch. The assets are all existing. It IS NOT the sort of project that takes a team like Monster over two years to tackle.

I work about 18 miles from Monster Games. I'll just run over there and demand answers.

What irony that we had DKR rumors... and it turns out they're behind DKCR 3D? THAT'S NO COINCIDENCE!

Surely DKR is in the works for Wii U, it makes too much sense, Emily Rogers says no, but I don't know...

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Surely DKR is in the works for Wii U, it makes too much sense, Emily Rogers says no, but I don't know...

I don't think a DKR for Wii U makes sense anytime in the next 2-3 years. Nintendo isn't going to spend any significant R&D on it anyway. The DS one was a throwaway since Rare wanted to develop it for Nintendo.

Shiggy

Pilotwings Resort took them about a year, unless they had some other project canned inbetween. And that thing was a pretty barebones port of a Wii Sports Resort minigame.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
http://youtu.be/fpOVqWmNBC4

Wii vs 3DS comparison. How the hell did they pull that off on the 3DS?

It has noticeably worse texture quality and filtering, a weaker lighting model, missing shadows, and DKCR (as gorgeous as it is) is hardly the most demanding game in the world. One of Retro's strongest points (based on the Prime trilogy and DKCR) is that they have an exceptional understanding of asset optimisation and how to best make a game look really pretty incredible while still being conservative and smart about asset quality. DKCR, for example, uses a lot of layered 2D textures and very simple geometry for the backgrounds. Gives a really gorgeous sense of depth.

Stick a game with a full 3D interactive environment on the system (eg: Xenoblade or Skyward Sword) and the concessions needed to get the game to run would be more obvious.

Still, Monster look like they're doing an excellent port. Pretty bummed this is what they're working on though. I love both Excite Truck and Excite Bots. Truck is my favourite racing game of the current gen, and is a real purist arcade game. Bots bombed, and I don't recall Truck setting the charts on fire either. I'd love a new Excite game :(.

What a waste of talent. Nintendo needs full-on port studios if they're going to keep doing things like this and OOT3D and StarFox 3D.

Monster needs to be reviving WaveRace or F-Zero or a new Excite game.

Pilotwings Resort took them about a year, unless they had some other project canned inbetween. And that thing was a pretty barebones port of a Wii Sports Resort minigame.

It used some assets yes, but they had to develop tons of new challenges, and scenarios. There was lots or original content,

DKCR 3D is all optimization and transfer. It is a copy. There's potentially some work to be done for dual-cart co-op, but I'm not sure why you guys are convinced that this is all they've been doing since PWR shipped. There will be 2 1/2 years from their 3DS launch title to this port. No port takes that long, unless you look in to rare exceptions like Okami Wii where Ready at Dawn had to go on a wild goose chase to get the original assets, and never found them all and had to do lots of filling in the blanks from scratch.

Still, Monster look like they're doing an excellent port. Pretty bummed this is what they're working on though. I love both Excite Truck and Excite Bots. Truck is my favourite racing game of the current gen, and is a real purist arcade game. Bots bombed, and I don't recall Truck setting the charts on fire either. I'd love a new Excite game :(.

Excite Truck was by far my most played launch game. Love Bots too.

Did Monster also make World Rally? Loved that one too.

Excite Truck was by far my most played launch game. Love Bots too.

Did Monster also make World Rally? Loved that one too.

Yup, they did. Since they've been working with Nintendo they've made:

Excite Truck (late 2006)
Excite Bots: Trick Racing (early 2009)
Excitebike: World Rally (late 2009)
Pilotwings Resort (early 2011)
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (summer? 2013)

The team is quite small (and recently lost its lead programmer/co-founder :( ), which could mean that DKCR3D is their next project and nothing else is in the works. DKCR has a lot of assets to start with, and if there are going to be added features to the game, that could explain why it has taken them this long to port it. Pilotwings Resort may have had unique contents, but it was not nearly the same scope as Donkey Kong.

On that note, I would not be surprised if they were working on something else before Nintendo had them drop/pause it in favor of getting DKCR onto 3DS this summer. Perhaps PWR was going to get a sequel or another Resort-based spin-off but was cancelled due to lagging 3DS sales? Hard to say.

I think Excite Bots was their biggest bomb of the lot, which is a shame as that was probably their most expensive/intense project. The fact that the team has been using more first-party-assets in their games tells me Nintendo is using Monster Games as a more budget developer at the moment, so a huge project like F-Zero 3DS or DKR is probably not going to happen until Monster earns Nintendo some big bucks.

If they have anything else in development right now, it is either a DD title or coming 2014.

Het_Nkik

Slighty off topic: Can I play the Wii version on the Wii U gamepad offscreen?

No, you can't play Wii games with the Wii U controller at all. You know how when you play a GameCube game on Wii, the Wii basically goes into GameCube mode and thinks it's a GameCube, shutting down all Wii components of the system? Same here for playing Wii games on the Wii U.

Zarovitch

No, you can't play Wii games with the Wii U controller at all. You know how when you play a GameCube game on Wii, the Wii basically goes into GameCube mode and thinks it's a GameCube, shutting down all Wii components of the system? Same here for playing Wii games on the Wii U.

That's sad cause there's game like LaMulana could have been beautiful on the gamepad.

Except that you can actually return to the Wii U menu without restarting the console, unlike when playing GC games on the Wii.

MDX

I think Nintendo will focus small teams like Monster to make 3DS games
until they unify their development resources for future hardware.
That said, an Excite game on the 3DS might become a possibility.

Neiteio

Yeah, I wonder whether Monster Games has another project in the works.

On the one hand, they're a small team rebuilding DKCR from scratch.

On the other hand, new levels aside, it's mostly a technical job, since the design is largely in place.

So, perhaps it's possible they've had time to start designing another project?

Hero

It might just be a project for them to cut their teeth on the 3DS hardware and get used to the ins and outs of the system.

I would also love for an Excite Truck game on Wii U.

Or maybe Excite Wave Race. Hmmmmmmmm...

daakusedo

I didn't want to buy it again with all the games releasing, even with the new levels, but I received a e-mail from nintendo saying for three games registered, one is offered and dk is one of them, so it will do it with a purchase of animal crossing, I'm still a bit bothered with how far I went with shiny gold medals on wii.

I didn't want to buy it again with all the games releasing, even with the new levels, but I received a e-mail from nintendo saying for three games registered, one is offered and dk is one of them, so it will do it with a purchase of animal crossing, I'm still a bit bothered with how far I went with shiny gold medals on wii.

Yeah, I think DKC will be the purchase which claims me an AC download. It'll be nice to have that as a permanent fixture on the 3DS, and I can always sell DK if I get sick of it / find it compares too poorly to the Wii version.

Sothpaw

Didn't buy the original on Wii because of the motion controls. Looking forward to this.

This and the metroidvania Batman will be the only two 3ds games I own, and I (stupidly) purchased my 3ds at launch. I don't like Nintendo games other than Metroid. DS had three awesome castlevania games, metroid prime hunters and chinatown wars. 3ds really doesn't have anything like those games yet. Hopefully Batman will help fix the situation.

Top Bottom