• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri Official Site Updated

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Hey guys I'm finding the Sword and Shield set-up to be great but I'm wondering if that's a newbie weapon. :( Nobody uses sword and shield in videos.

ShinNL

Regulus Tera said:
Hey guys I'm finding the Sword and Shield set-up to be great but I'm wondering if that's a newbie weapon. :( Nobody uses sword and shield in videos.
It's an advanced weapon, but for other reasons than other weapons. It's not hard to handle, but you have to play much smarter with it to do efficient damage and if you manage to make the best use of it's best property (instant item usage), teammates will love you. In MHFU I used a certain armor skill set with my SnS set to buff up teammates and heal them constantly during battle.

I picked up the demo disk at Gamestop today. I've put about an hour and a half into it so far. It's been really hard so far. I've tried Sword and Shield, Great Sword, Hammer, Long Sword, and Lance so far and I still haven't managed to beat the Jaggi. I could see myself getting better with practice, though. Also I've only tried the Wii Remote and Nunchuck setup, so maybe I'll do better with one of the Classic Controller setups. I think the graphics look better than they did in videos. One thing that bothered me was that I thought everything had circle shadows, but now I found out that your character has a shadow for each foot, which reminds me of Ocarina of Time, so I'm okay with it now. I have doubts as to how this game will go over with the dudebro demographic, though, as the roommate who's seen it so far hasn't liked it.

jibblypop

Banned
cooljeanius said:
I have doubts as to how this game will go over with the dudebro demographic, though, as the roommate who's seen it so far hasn't liked it.

It would probably do better with the smart nerd demographic.

cooljeanius said:
Yeah, but if Capcom wants this game to sell well, they can't depend on that.

It's not the demographic.

"No lockon targettting!?!? WTF!?!!?"

I'd rather they not target the dudebros, that way, less of them are whining in this thread.

Alex

This game will never reach a huge demographic in the Western world and get the crazy accolades it does in Japan, not on a console especially (every single person I play MH with is primarily a PC gamer, niches like this go down well with that crowd, also see; Demon's Souls).

As far as I understand reading an article from awhile ago at least, Freedom Unite sold about 400-500k between the combined Western world on the PSP. If Capcom could double that with a little bit of marketing arm, and have it spill over to future iterations, that alone would probably be worth it to them. Especially with Freedom 3 and their town simulation spin-off coming down the pipe.

Large gameplay concessions would just annoy the fanbase on both sides of the ocean. It especially wouldn't make sense on the Wii/PSP combo. Tri is already more friendly than the other titles, although the demo won't show that.

Tenbatsu

Gamer @ Heart said:
I played unite again on my psp last night which only reignited my hatred of that fucking blur in tri. I'd give a nut to turn that off in the menu knowing I will be playing this game for hundreds if hours.
Play it in 4:3 then, no choice. Anw its not that annoying after some time, it kinda make the game look more natural.

Luigiv

RelentlessRolento said:
The animation if a tail or something knocks you back and you get up. I played both missions and I only saw it twice. I know I'm not that good ... Only w LS I'm decent
Yeah, it looks like the whole damage animation system has been reworked. Light attacks just make you stumble. Moderate attacks knock you back, but you get straight back up and I think in the final game there are Strong attacks that knock you on your ass, just like you're use to.

Hiltz

Despite all of Capcom and Nintendo's combined efforts to promote Monster Hunter 3, I'd be very surprised if the game's sales in either Europe or North America manage to come close to matching or outselling the Japanese version. It may be the best selling third-party Wii title in Japan , but it only sold 1 million copies and fell off the top charts pretty quickly despite the popularity of the franchise.

Hiltz said:
Despite all of Capcom and Nintendo's combined efforts to promote Monster Hunter 3, I'd be very surprised if the game's sales in either Europe or North America manage to come close to matching or outselling the Japanese version. It may be the best selling third-party Wii title in Japan , but it only sold 1 million copies and fell off the top charts pretty quickly despite the popularity of the franchise.

1 million for a console game in Japan is nothing to just brush off these days...

Sales in the west will basically hang on how much of a marketing push Nintendo really thinks this game is worth.

Hiltz

JordanLMiller said:
1 million for a console game in Japan is nothing to just brush off these days...

Sales in the west will basically hang on how much of a marketing push Nintendo really thinks this game is worth.

Well, I suppose you're right in the sense that any video game that manages to reach the million sales milestone in Japan is a miracle especially from a third-party company. As far as Japan goes, there's apparently 10 million Wii owners as of this month.

I think the Wii has been and will continue to be a tough platform for third-parties to find success on even when it comes to big franchises. I think the majority of core gamers are just very picky when it comes to supporting Non-Nintendo games. I don't see Nintendo being able to change that despite its best effort to help promote games for third-parties. I think it's a fundamental problem that's basically plagued Nintendo systems since the N64.

Tenbatsu said:
Monsters are more 'fair' this time round so it might be the reason why you felt the demo is easier.

k makes sense. Is it just me or do most Wii games automatically assume they have to be easier? :lol

whatever. I enjoyed it and am a hardcore MH player so I'll toss my hat in, unless they announce MH3 on PSP, which they will.

Tenbatsu said:
Play it in 4:3 then, no choice. Anw its not that annoying after some time, it kinda make the game look more natural.

That doesnt eliminate it at all. Its clearly not a stretching issue, but a filter in game. It seems to lessen when the camera angle is lower.

It seems so stupid. On the psp screen the game is sooooo crisp and on my tv a blur. So disappointing.

Gamer @ Heart said:
That doesnt eliminate it at all. Its clearly not a stretching issue, but a filter in game. It seems to lessen when the camera angle is lower.

It seems so stupid. On the psp screen the game is sooooo crisp and on my tv a blur. So disappointing.

I find most Wii games blur no matter how sharp I set everything... wtf. Component cables do ur damn job.

Tenbatsu

RelentlessRolento said:
k makes sense. Is it just me or do most Wii games automatically assume they have to be easier? :lol

whatever. I enjoyed it and am a hardcore MH player so I'll toss my hat in, unless they announce MH3 on PSP, which they will.
The retail game is not any easier thou but maybe less frustrating. Anw you will know it soon.

Gamer @ Heart said:

I wonder if its your TV. Can you get the game to be this sharp on your HDTV on 4:3 mode? Mine looks exactly like this on a Samsung 26inch HDTV on 4:3.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxPtO7vbM0s

Gamer @ Heart this is the max blur you can get. Game looks like this on my TV from approximately 1m away. Go to this location and see if you can calibrate your TV to match this image.
2e64f1u.jpg

Tenbatsu said:
The retail game is not any easier thou but maybe less frustrating. Anw you will know it soon.

I wonder if its your TV. Can you get the game to be this sharp on your HDTV on 4:3 mode? Mine looks exactly like this on a Samsung HDTV on 4:3.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxPtO7vbM0s

I will have to try it again, but i dont remember it being that sharp when i tried it. I noticed the blur in the trailers too, which made me sadder but hopefully i can find a way around this.

Anyway, GODDAMN AT THAT SLASH AXE. I want it so bad.

Vizion28

Banned
Hiltz said:
Well, I suppose you're right in the sense that any video game that manages to reach the million sales milestone in Japan is a miracle especially from a third-party company. As far as Japan goes, there's apparently 10 million Wii owners as of this month.

I think the Wii has been and will continue to be a tough platform for third-parties to find success on even when it comes to big franchises. I think the majority of core gamers are just very picky when it comes to supporting Non-Nintendo games. I don't see Nintendo being able to change that despite its best effort to help promote games for third-parties. I think it's a fundamental problem that's basically plagued Nintendo systems since the N64.

I'll believe 3rd parties have a problem with sales of their big franchises on a Nintendo console when 3rd parties release non niche, high quality games on it that flop - games that wouldn't have sold any better on other console. I can't think of one example where they released a big franchise on a Ninty console (with very few exceptions), can you? Well, there is Sonic which is a big franchise successful on Nintendo platforms. But I assume you're talking about dudebro or nerdcore games? Well, Resident Evil 4 sold well on GC and Wii. Even Call of Duty games on Wii broke a million.

I would say MH3 is a success if a breaks a million in the west which is likely. But the game seems kind of niche. The difficulty is relentless.

gotee12

Vizion28 said:
I would say MH3 is a success if a breaks a million in the west which is likely. But the game seems kind of niche. The difficulty is relentless.
It's a shame when very unique and different games only get a niche following. I agree with the other opinions I've read thus far in that MH will probably not become a huge franchise here in the west. We're just too resistant to change the ways in which we game. The general gaming populace gets used to a particular thing and becomes hesitant to learn (or even appreciate for that matter) anything new.

I really get tired of the same old formula being presented with a slightly fresher coat of paint year after year.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
The likelihood of this reaching 1M in the West is very low. I do think it will do significantly better than the PSP versions, but 1 million is a long road to climb.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Can you change the way your character looks in the full game (ie, clothes, hair styles, weapons, etc)?

Raelson

Vilix said:
Can you change the way your character looks in the full game (ie, clothes, hair styles, weapons, etc)?
Yes, face, hairstyle, voice and of course weapons and armor (that's kinda the point of the game).
All characters are the same size though.

Lyude77

I got the demo yesterday, and I'm loving it. I'd never played a monster hunter game before this one. I went ahead and tried all of the weapons, and I'd have to say my favorite was the lance, with longsword and switchaxe close behind. I beat the first monster with all of the weapons except for sword and shield and the great sword, but I'll give them another try when I have time to play later, since I didn't really understand what was going on until after I had tried them. I tried to kill Quropeco with the lance a few times, but it was difficult for me because I didn't quite get the idea of aiming for its head and just damaged its legs and lower body. Also, its explosive punch move sometimes happens three times which bypasses the shield from stamina loss, and I usually don't react in time to actually avoid it. I figure I'll start aiming for the head and see how that goes, or maybe just switch to longsword or switch axe since I seemed to kill the first monster easier with them. I just read about the whetstones, too, and that should make the game easier.

Edit: Just watched Teknoman's video, and that helped as well. I didn't realize meat gave you more stamina. That's what I get for coming in with no knowledge of the game. :lol

I think the demo/free online thing sold me, I'm gonna preorder it soon.

I've been playing the demo off and on for the last few days. I had no idea how complex these games were! You'd never know just by watching gameplay footage.

Also, I learned that kicking cats (or whatever the hell those things are) is a bad idea, even if it is rather cathartic. They will summon their friends who will swiftly kick your ass.

gotee12

BertramCooper said:
Also, I learned that kicking cats (or whatever the hell those things are) is a bad idea, even if it is rather cathartic.
Regardless of the outcome, I must do this tonight...

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=15764

Ryozo Tsujimoto: "I would like to see any future iteration of the DS provide stronger online functionality. Obviously Monster Hunter games rely very heavily on network gaming and if there is anything that could be improved I would have the online side high on my list."
They won't abandon Sony portable, but I can clearly see Capcom trying DS2 userbase, just like they did with Wii.

Hunters social life, beware! :lol

upandaway

Sammy Samusu said:
They won't abandon Sony portable, but I can clearly see Capcom trying DS2 userbase, just like they did with Wii.

Hunters social life, beware! :lol
I can't imagine it working on a DS setup. My fingers will hurt and my hands will be sweaty and everything. At least with the PSP you can use a normal PS3 controller.

markatisu

schuelma said:
The likelihood of this reaching 1M in the West is very low. I do think it will do significantly better than the PSP versions, but 1 million is a long road to climb.

If it were to come close to 1m in the West I think Capcom would shit themselves. I can see 300-500k and then I think its going to take some time and word of mouth

The free demo has already brought in more people to this thread than I thought it would

gotee12

markatisu said:
The free demo has already brought in more people to this thread than I thought it would
Couple that with the free online. That single component is what initially attracted me to MH3. There has also been a lot of other comments made on other sites concerning the free online being a huge draw. I'm proof of the preorder bonus/free online announcement causing folks completely new to the series to suddenly take interest.

And I'm still contemplating a used PSP purchase to get MHFU. In my opinion, Capcom is doing a good job thus far in garnering interest among the uninitiated, like myself.

gotee12 said:
And I'm still contemplating a used PSP purchase to get MHFU. In my opinion, Capcom is doing a good job thus far in garnering interest among the uninitiated, like myself.
haha good to see you havent caved yet! Only thing stopping me at this point is im afraid i wont like the controls without having that second analogue stick.

upandaway said:
I can't imagine it working on a DS setup. My fingers will hurt and my hands will be sweaty and everything. At least with the PSP you can use a normal PS3 controller.
Yup, but he said "future iteration of the DS".

botticus

Yikes. I'm sure millions of people have done it, but I don't know how you're supposed to survive solo with a Great Sword. And I'll probably say the same for any other slow heavy weapon. I'm guessing the answer is obsessive memorization or something along those lines.

Just so I'm clear, your character persists across solo and online play, right?

gotee12

kafka rock opera said:
haha good to see you havent caved yet! Only thing stopping me at this point is im afraid i wont like the controls without having that second analogue stick.
Oh dear Lord I need help. I've been perusing Craigslist for the last hour looking at used PSP's. I've even gone as far as to get the wife's permission...

Will I be able to hold out until April 20th?

Top Bottom