• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Hiltz

I went from sword and shield to the long sword and then to the switch axe and hammer.

I used the long sword the most for the single player mode but my favorite is the switch axe. Hammer is just fun to use to bash in monster skulls with but it sucks that you can't cut tails off. I generally use switch axe against all monsters but only use hammer against anything but deviljho, alatreon, ceadeus, diablos, and agnakator. I use the long sword as an alternative to the switch axe but its not really used much these days.

C-Jo

I wanted a CC Pro for Xenoblade and saw that bestbuy.ca was selling the Monster Hunter bundle for $40.

So after picking up my first MonHan last week (Freedom Unite), I guess I've gone even deeper down the rabbit hole.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
By the way, do you guys think the probability of an enhanced version (G, Freedom, whatever) is pretty much 0 at this point? It's been an awful lot of time since the game came out, and with the Wii nearing the end of its life, I doubt it myself, but I want your opinion.

I don't want to buy the game if a much better version is coming a few months from now.

Orayn

Kilrogg said:
By the way, do you guys think the probability of an enhanced version (G, Freedom, whatever) is pretty much 0 at this point? It's been an awful lot of time since the game came out, and with the Wii nearing the end of its life, I doubt it myself, but I want your opinion.

I don't want to buy the game if a much better version is coming a few months from now.
Highly unlikely. Capcom hasn't even hinted at returning to MH on the Wii, and the next new MH will probably be for Vita and/or 3DS.
C-Jo said:
I wanted a CC Pro for Xenoblade and saw that bestbuy.ca was selling the Monster Hunter bundle for $40.

So after picking up my first MonHan last week (Freedom Unite), I guess I've gone even deeper down the rabbit hole.
Feel free to ask questions here any hit me up for co-op.

With Capcom, it's always tough to say if they'll make another version of _______ for the quick $$$ but I'd say a MH3G is as likely as a TvC2 at this point. Even it happens, it's not going to be for the Wii.

Apenheul

Orayn said:
I'm fairly certain it was a limited print run. You're better off just getting the game and the CCPro separately. (Definitely get the CCPro, though. It's godlike.)

The limited edition also had the Lagiacrus figurine, and a code to receive a Curupeco (at least in the Netherlands).

Kilrogg said:

You should just buy Tri. There are still plenty of people playing it.

If a new version were to come out in a few months, it would mean that it would probably be a whole year before we see it localized, if it's localized at all. Maybe Europe would get that localization, especially if NOE is still handling it.

In case you're thinking about importing a hypothetical Japanese Tri G, you should keep in mind that it will almost certainly have a subscription fee just like Tri (which will probably involve buying Japan region prepaid wii point cards). Communicating with people online will probably be a little awkward if you don't know Japanese.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Lance Bone Path said:
You should just buy Tri. There are still plenty of people playing it.

If a new version were to come out in a few months, it would mean that it would probably be a whole year before we see it localized, if it's localized at all. Maybe Europe would get that localization, especially if NOE is still handling it.

In case you're thinking about importing a hypothetical Japanese Tri G, you should keep in mind that it will almost certainly have a subscription fee just like Tri (which will probably involve buying Japan region prepaid wii point cards). Communicating with people online will probably be a little awkward if you don't know Japanese.

Thanks. No, I would wait for the PAL version. I don't mind waiting, but I don't like buying inferior versions for the same hardware. I imported the original Tatsunoko vs. Capcom at the time, thinking it wouldn't get a Western release, let alone an improved one. I like Hakushon Daimaou, but he's not enough to make my version better than one with 5 new characters and online :p. I also almost bought Sengoku Basara 3 before noticing a new version is around the corner with 8 new characters.

I don't want to buy Tri if I can get a better version in 1 or 2 years. Yes, I'm stingy like that :p.

Kilrogg said:
Thanks. No, I would wait for the PAL version. I don't mind waiting, but I don't like buying inferior versions for the same hardware. I imported the original Tatsunoko vs. Capcom at the time, thinking it wouldn't get a Western release, let alone an improved one. I like Hakushon Daimaou, but he's not enough to make my version better than one with 5 new characters and online :p. I also almost bought Sengoku Basara 3 before noticing a new version is around the corner with 8 new characters.

I don't want to buy Tri if I can get a better version in 1 or 2 years. Yes, I'm stingy like that :p.
In that case, you should wait (possibly forever) for Monster Hunter Frontiers (on the PC) since they will likely have some sort of freemium thing going on with it when they release it in the west.

I'll be on tomorrow evening around 8:00 central. Gonna try and watch Thundercats first, as I've managed to miss every episode since the second one.

Edit: Miserable crappy connection...

Nicktals

Banned
I had a question concerning monster hunter history, and the new 3DS version. Has there been a history of taking single player only content (if that existed before tri), and adapting it for MP in the G version?

Basically...is there any chance we'll get Ceadeus in MP on the 3DS?

I've been on a Ceadeus kick lately, for some reason. Having fun trying to beat my best time. It had been a long time since I fought him, maybe that's why I'm enjoying it.

Hiltz

Nicktals said:
I had a question concerning monster hunter history, and the new 3DS version. Has there been a history of taking single player only content (if that existed before tri), and adapting it for MP in the G version?

Basically...is there any chance we'll get Ceadeus in MP on the 3DS?

I've been on a Ceadeus kick lately, for some reason. Having fun trying to beat my best time. It had been a long time since I fought him, maybe that's why I'm enjoying it.

I don't think there's any particular reason why Ceadeus couldn't be included in the multiplayer mode. Although, Capcom would have to make some adjustments to the ballista and dragonator weaponry so that players don't abuse them too much for a fast and easy kill. Then there's the part where you have to swim after him and break off his body parts.

I haven't played this game in a while now that Xenoblade's in my Wii.

Multiplayer Ceadeus would make the Deep Dragon Gem grinding go a lot faster but the fight would still be boring unless they buffed it up considerably. It spends the majority of the fight either running away or staying in place not attacking at all.

Velti

Neo Member
Whelp, I bought the game and it's great. Starting to feel brave enough to venture into Lo Lac, but I wanted to hear people's opinions on the Wii Speak peripheral and various other modes of communication first. Is the chat essential, or would a keyboard work alright? Personally, I don't want to subject the fam to a hunt planning session. (Why oh WHY is there no compatible headset?)

Velti said:
Whelp, I bought the game and it's great. Starting to feel brave enough to venture into Lo Lac, but I wanted to hear people's opinions on the Wii Speak peripheral and various other modes of communication first. Is the chat essential, or would a keyboard work alright? Personally, I don't want to subject the fam to a hunt planning session. (Why oh WHY is there no compatible headset?)

Forget Wii Speak, unless you want to hear dogs barking, traffic, the neighbor's music, and everything other than the people you're trying to communicate with. I bought a wireless Wii mini keyboard and it's awesome. Any usb keyboard should work and typing is the communication method of choice. There is an in game type pad but using it is too slow to be useful. As for voice chat, you'll have to get creative with your friends. Myself and a handful of other GAffers use Skype on a handy computer.

Velti

Neo Member
DragonGirl said:
Forget Wii Speak, unless you want to hear dogs barking, traffic, the neighbor's music, and everything other than the people you're trying to communicate with. I bought a wireless Wii mini keyboard and it's awesome. Any usb keyboard should work and typing is the communication method of choice. There is an in game type pad but using it is too slow to be useful. As for voice chat, you'll have to get creative with your friends. Myself and a handful of other GAffers use Skype on a handy computer.

Awesome, thanks a lot! I tried it last night with our PC's keyboard and it worked great! I'm glad I didn't spend money on a bad peripheral.

GUNNERY!!11

HOT DAYUM. That'll be an interesting game changer when I get bored of melee.

Also that creature makes me want to poop my pants.

Insaniac

Anabuhabkuss said:
I sold my last wii with MHT game save on it and am looking to getting back into the fold.

Are the servers still active?

Anyone willing to give me a little help getting started? I live in Texas (ie. Central time).

Sure thing, I can help you out

DragonGirl said:
Anyone catch the trailer for MH4? Thoughts?

I find it interesting that the environments look worse than either version of Tri, but I know that's because of how massive they are now. Like in Xenoblade, sacrifices have to be made to enable such a scope. Monsters do looks better as is the shadowing which the latter seems to be even superior to TriG from what I've seen of both. :)

Peru

All new to this game, messing about with easy (two-star) quests . Now I know there are wikis available but they're more about the details, and this thread is big. I bought the chainmail set as my first armor and am having no problems so far, of course, but I'm wondering when you started (or when it's wise) moving on to more advanced armor? I can afford the hunter's armor but don't know if it's just wasting money at this point.

Alrus

Peru said:
All new to this game, messing about with easy (two-star) quests . Now I know there are wikis available but they're more about the details, and this thread is big. I bought the chainmail set as my first armor and am having no problems so far, of course, but I'm wondering when you started (or when it's wise) moving on to more advanced armor? I can afford the hunter's armor but don't know if it's just wasting money at this point.

I would wait until you can make the Jaggi armor, it's a pretty good set that will last you for a while.

upandaway

Peru said:
During single player I always carried on with my current armor until I hit a wall (and kept losing.

I would recommend you to at least make the Jaggi armor though, even if didn't hit a wall yet. It's a good one. Until then save the money.

Ken

Peru said:
Thanks, guys. Jaggi it is. I'm also thinking I should start learning some other weapon types than SnS.
When I first started Tri (my first MH), I found Lances to be very beginner friendly. Having a shield when you've yet to learn monster attacks is really helpful.

BTW there's a MonHun thread in the community section now. If you post in there when you're going on others can try to go on and help you out.

peakish

I too started a new character recently (I stopped playing at the first Royal Ludroth last summer) and just fended off the Lagiacrus. Awesome. Getting the Ludroth set and some decorations to max the Current resistance helped a lot! Anyway, I'm really enjoying the game right now though Lance, which I use right now, feels a bit like easy mode sometimes - how does it compare to the others in difficulty once you get used to them? Maybe I'll get a Long Sword tomorrow and start practicing, hmm...

Ultratech

A good armor set to get early on is Qurupeco armor. Good skills and Evasion skills are pretty awesome to have early on.

Once you get further in, Lagiacrus is pretty awesome as well, since it has a good set of skills, and works great for fighting underwater monsters. You can also gem in quite a few skills if you get a good charm.

Those should last up until you hit High Rank anyways.

upandaway

Ultratech said:
A good armor set to get early on is Qurupeco armor. Good skills and Evasion skills are pretty awesome to have early on.

Once you get further in, Lagiacrus is pretty awesome as well, since it has a good set of skills, and works great for fighting underwater monsters. You can also gem in quite a few skills if you get a good charm.

Those should last up until you hit High Rank anyways.
Lagiacrus is the everything armor. I never stopped using it until I started using custom sets.

Alrus

I'm horribly unlucky with getting Lagi Horns :( I still need 4 and I got 0 in 5 hunts =/ I break them each run and still nothing. I'm getting a bit tired of the Lagi... But I want to finish his set before I carry on...

Ken

What kind of ammo should I bring for non-Alatreon monsters? I made a gunner set and gun (Uragaan armor, not sure on gun) for Alatreon but want to try gunning other monsters.

sixclaws

Banned
Hi I'm thinking of trying to get into Monster Hunter and I had a few questions. How is the game single-player since I generally prefer not to play online until I get good at a game and how good is the split-screen co-op mode since I would plan to play with my younger brother whenever I'm back home from college? Also how are the wiimote and nun-chuck controls since I wouldn't plan on buying two classic controllers?

Ken

sixclaws said:
Hi I'm thinking of trying to get into Monster Hunter and I had a few questions. How is the game single-player since I generally prefer not to play online until I get good at a game and how good is the split-screen co-op mode since I would plan to play with my younger brother whenever I'm back home from college? Also how are the wiimote and nun-chuck controls since I wouldn't plan on buying two classic controllers?

In single player, you are given an AI partner to try and simulate the multiplayer experience. You go through, for the most part, the similar quests to the online mode. Only difference is that the monsters are easier offline but only award you with material to make low rank armor. The beginning online quests also start out with some simple objectives like gather mushrooms, so it's not like they throw you into difficult missions off the bat. Oh and single player has the Farm which is a good way to make cash.

Only arena mode is split screen, which is an arena fight with monsters using preset equipment.

No idea how the Wiimote and nun chuck controls are but my roommate didn't have any problems with it. He played equally well as me and our third roommate who were both on CCPros. CCPros should be cheap now though so you could look for some good deals on some.

Sammy Samusu said:
Wha- I can't even...

I love to watch japanese team work videos, look at that flash and smoke bomb show at the end, lol!

That's pretty much the easiest method to do World Eater. 4 piercers, use a smoke bomb + drugged meat to get him to sleep at the beginning, lay bombs when he's sleeping, someone with Trap Master to set up continuous traps then someone maybe with paralyze shots in between traps, and someone with Trap Master to set up continuous traps. Very easy to accomplish though depending on the team it might take a few more minutes.

If you you're meleeing him, you're just wasting your time...

Ken

pje122 said:
OK, guess my ID is VXMYT3. Do I need to be on the same server as you for you to find me?
I think so, but if you choose a room and post which it is on here, I can find that room and join you.

Ex. Open 2 Valor 2 etc.

pje122

Ken said:
I think so, but if you choose a room and post which it is on here, I can find that room and join you.
OK, I think I am actually going out on a quest right now... maybe. Can you find a room and post it on here instead? I'll join you when I can.
Edit: Yep, doing Rathalos Alert. Will join up with you ASAP.

Ken

pje122 said:
OK, I think I am actually going out on a quest right now... maybe. Can you find a room and post it on here instead? I'll join you when I can.
Edit: Yep, doing Rathalos Alert. Will join up with you ASAP.
Warping to you.

Top Bottom