• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Hero of Legend said:
I find it interesting that the environments look worse than either version of Tri, but I know that's because of how massive they are now. Like in Xenoblade, sacrifices have to be made to enable such a scope. Monsters do looks better as is the shadowing which the latter seems to be even superior to TriG from what I've seen of both. :)

I wouldn't worry too much about what was on that MH4 trailer. It didn't look like anything more than something they made real quick for the announcement. I doubt that they would put an environment like that in the game. It only served as a stage to show off a couple of the new features on.

Ken

pje122 said:
Well the one where you were on the boat
Oh, Jhen Mohran? You just try to repel or kill him with the cannons or ballistas. Basically, survive the 30 minutes while doing enough damage to him to make him leave.

Ken said:
What kind of ammo should I bring for non-Alatreon monsters? I made a gunner set and gun (Uragaan armor, not sure on gun) for Alatreon but want to try gunning other monsters.
For the most part, you should decide on what type of gunning you prefer before picking out armor/gun. Specialization really makes gunning more efficient since not every skill is good for all types of gunning.

Uragaan gunner armor is good for status gunning because Recoil Down is great for applying status shots quickly and Bombardier boosts your bomb damage if you want to Sleep/Para bomb. You can totally lock down the monster for teammates like in that World Eater vid once you get it down.

Pierce gunning is useful on most non-Ala monsters. Use Diablos+ and fill out the waist/legs/charm with whatever additional skills you like. Elemental gunning is Lagi+
maybe mixed with some Barroth+ if you can get Attack Up skills
and ammo is dependent on what element the monster is weak to. Jhen+ is the general line for Clust gunning but mixing with Ura+ is good for getting Recoil Down +3.

Haven't tried Normal gunning yet but I believe that uses Agna+.

Peru

Continuing my "this is probably what posts looked like 200 pages ago" narrative. In "Trapping a Trickster"- why does the Rathian aaalways show up where the Qurupeco goes to sleep. First time he ended up in the only trap I had. Second time I was so desperate to avoid this I killed the damn Qurupeco and failed.

Peru

I'm glad there are more of us in the same boat.

I tried the lance as my second weapon but it instinctively felt like the worst thing ever. Now I'm using the great sword and enjoying it a lot, although blocking doesn't come naturally to me so I feel the long sword might eventually become 'my thing' (never tried it, just read about it).

upandaway

Peru said:
I'm glad there are more of us in the same boat.

I tried the lance as my second weapon but it instinctively felt like the worst thing ever
Give it a few Qurupecos and it'll feel like a Sword & Shield.

Ken

Peru said:
Continuing my "this is probably what posts looked like 200 pages ago" narrative. In "Trapping a Trickster"- why does the Rathian aaalways show up where the Qurupeco goes to sleep. First time he ended up in the only trap I had. Second time I was so desperate to avoid this I killed the damn Qurupeco and failed.
I guess the Qurupeco called the Rathian before going to sleep or the Rathian just happened to land in that area? If you attack its chest enough while it calls you can cancel it. Really helpful as sometimes he'll call out a buff or heal and you can get it applied to you.

Peru

Ken said:
I guess the Qurupeco called the Rathian before going to sleep or the Rathian just happened to land in that area? If you attack its chest enough while it calls you can cancel it. Really helpful as sometimes he'll call out a buff or heal and you can get it applied to you.

Yeah I feel like I'm attacking the chest it but he always manages to call him in area 8 while quite injured, then falls asleep and the big guy won't leave, like the awkward third wheel.

Anyway I turned off the tv and swore I wouldn't return tonight but I guess I'll go back.

Boney said:
If you're using a Great Sword, spam those charge slashes.

Getting one on the chest feels good man

Two ways to shut Pecco up and briefly stun him is to set off a small (or large) bombs next to it while it's calling. Sonic bombs do the same thing.

Peru

Third time's the charm I guess, the dude is down. Plus side to fighting him this many times is he posed no threat anymore. Unfortunately I'm set for an underwater nightmare. I'm happy as long as he doesn't have any obnoxious helpers.

Anyway, I'm hooked at this point. The game makes you feel like a badass.

udivision said:
Long sword is the best weapon. Get as many as you can to counter all types of monsters.

Is it dependant on elemental powers like the SnS? Haven't really gotten to know that aspect yet.

upandaway

Peru said:
Is it dependant on elemental powers like the SnS? Haven't really gotten to know that aspect yet.
Any weapon that relies on tons of fast hits will benefit from elementals (an elemental is a set amount of damage every hit, regardless of which hit it was).

If you're gonna spam Spirit Combo with no regards to any player around you then I guess a good element will be really useful.

Chuckpebble

Ken said:

Also, take a fire herb and a nitro shroom to make a gunpowder.
Then take a gunpowder and a screamer (you can get these by killing Great Jaggi) to create a sonic bomb. These also cancel Qurupecco's calls and are guaranteed as opposed to hoping to get him to flinch while calling.

Cancelling one of Quru's status songs will grant you that effect. There's a healing call, where he spins I believe, and a defense boost, where he hops from side to side.

udivision

upandaway said:
If you're gonna spam Spirit Combo with no regards to any player around you then I guess a good element will be really useful.
That's what I do, although hitting other players doesn't seem to be an issue.

I'm no expert on the battle formula's, but is my Switch Axe (attack 1024 or something) pathetically weak compared to my Long Sword (561, 520 Thunder) considering I land hits 6 times as fas with it? I seems like he SA would have to be a lot stronger to compensate.

udivision said:
'm no expert on the battle formula's, but is my Switch Axe (attack 1024 or something) pathetically weak compared to my Long Sword (561, 520 Thunder) considering I land hits 6 times as fas with it? I seems like he SA would have to be a lot stronger to compensate.
Yeah, you can't directly compare the displayed raw damage between weapon classes. Capcom decided to multiply a weapon's true raw to display a cosmetic damage number for each weapon. The SwitchAxe's multiplier is rather large (meaning that 1024 is an inflated number) so it's easy to think it's one of the strongest weapons in the game when it's not. :[

Comparing within the same class is fine since the multiplier is the same for all weapons in the same class.

A big determinant in damage is what attack you're using - if you're interested here's the Damage formula guide. It's a dense read but you don't have to understand all the math to skim through and pick out the important bits (i.e. sharpness is important, which attacks are useful/useless, etc.)

peakish

Shit, after choosing the "better" upgrade for my Great Sword it's now stuck at a Lagiacrus upgrade. I was saving that one for my Lance :/ Guess I'll go with the other upgrade for that one.

Anyways, the Great Sword is super fun - dodging attacks like a maniac atm.

Edit: Haha how is the shitty Rathian a four star monster? Easiest monster so far.

Orayn

Boney said:
If you're using a Great Sword, spam those charge slashes.

Getting one on the chest feels good man
Getting Critical Draw is amazing as well. You can do it pretty early on with Diablos gloves, Great Baggi armor, and a bunch of gems.

Boney

Banned
peakish said:
Shit, after choosing the "better" upgrade for my Great Sword it's now stuck at a Lagiacrus upgrade. I was saving that one for my Lance :/ Guess I'll go with the other upgrade for that one.

Anyways, the Great Sword is super fun - dodging attacks like a maniac atm.
Haha I was stuck with that sword until I actually had the parts to forge that high Lagi blade

oh the memories

only after that did I expand on more swords and weapons

Hiltz

Peru said:

Monster poop is your friend.Always carry dung bombs with you.

Orayn

Hiltz said:
Monster poop is your friend.Always carry dung bombs with you.
This. Dung bombs are indispensible in missions where you have to deal with multiple wyvrens, or any that can pin you like Rathian or Gigginox.

Boney

Banned
I pretty much brute forced myself into this game.

Rathian starts mauling you and you lose 3/5 of your hp? Just don't get hit.

Had no real knowledge of item combining, food buffs, the importance of elemental weakness and getting good armor and skills.

Made it one heck of a ride though.

upandaway

I remember how once me and my friend got into a quest (Rathian+Rathalos), and just as we start out he tells me "hey man I forgot my dungs, gimme yours". He was using SnS so I gave him all of them... he immediately trashed them all.

One of the most fun quests we did.

Ultratech

Orayn said:
This. Dung bombs are indispensible in missions where you have to deal with multiple wyvrens, or any that can pin you like Rathian or Gigginox.

Yeah, it's crazy handy in Double Monster quests if both show up in the same area. Or if you're doing High Rank quests and Jho decides to crash the party.

LS isn't a bad weapon since it's fast and has pretty good range. Don't like people using it in party play since they usually trip people up with it.

SA has pretty good range and attack. Overhead attack in particular has amazing damage and vertical range. Sword Mode has auto-ESP so your attacks can't bounce (unless your Sharpness is Red) and has its damage modified by the different vial effects (unless it's Paralyze or Dragon which just switches your attack to those attributes).

Axe mode is similar to LS, but with some different attacks. Sword Mode is like GS, but faster and not quite as powerful. Also less attacks, but you can discharge the Vial to do pretty good damage. Really more of a versatile weapon than anything, due to its different modes.

I'll be on tomorrow my usual time. For all the new comers that's around 8:00 central time. I'll stop in at Open server Valor 1 City Gate 40, look for Khory, or just do a player search for me.

Boney said:
I pretty much brute forced myself into this game.

Rathian starts mauling you and you lose 3/5 of your hp? Just don't get hit.

Had no real knowledge of item combining, food buffs, the importance of elemental weakness and getting good armor and skills.

Made it one heck of a ride though.

pffft lies!
hax

peakish

The Lance is almost too good in water fighting. Almost to the point where the Lagiacrus is easier to beat than a Rathian (against which the Great Sword is superb).

Off to the fifth area now. The game is about to climb to my top 10 GOAT list -- and I haven't even gone online yet. I might head to the Community thread soon.

jonno394

Initially posted in wrong thread, so sorry for double post....

Just got this for £13. Never played a Monster Hunter game before but wanted a classic controller pro. Bargain?

$(KGrHqYOKiYE5Okg-hjGBOh2!GbMvw~~60_12.JPG

Really looking forward to playing this especially as i've been on a good run of games I missed from 2010 that turned out to be awesome (Nier, Enslaved, Castlevania)

jonno394 said:
Initially posted in wrong thread, so sorry for double post....

Just got this for £13. Never played a Monster Hunter game before but wanted a classic controller pro. Bargain?

$(KGrHqYOKiYE5Okg-hjGBOh2!GbMvw~~60_12.JPG

Really looking forward to playing this especially as i've been on a good run of games I missed from 2010 that turned out to be awesome (Nier, Enslaved, Castlevania)
I just started playing the game, and with the price you paid for all that stuff, it's a steal!

Log4Girlz

I bought this game ages ago and starting putting some time into it again. I have not tried online, I'm more of a solo player...but man is this game fucking HARD. I couldn't get into any particular weapon until I really put some time into the lance. Just got the spiral lance and can take on royal ludroths pretty easily, though very slowly with it, yeah I'm still kinda early in the game. I thought the great sword was impossible to play, but checked out some guides and youtubes and it makes a fight with the Qurupecos pretty easy. Mind you, I just finished the mission with that bird so he can't call anything that dangerous.

I love the fighting mechanic and how it makes you WORK. But man is this game devilishly hard and I know it will only get much, much harder. FUCK. The other pet peeve I have is just how small the "zones" are, goddamn I feel like each area is a shoe box...so obnoxious. Ahh well, I see myself giving up pretty soon as I know the difficulty is going to ramp up soon.

udivision

Log4Girlz said:
Ahh well, I see myself giving up pretty soon as I know the difficulty is going to ramp up soon.
NOOOOOO.
And go online. Makes things faster and easier, if you're worried about difficulty.

I am actually pumped up as I lost my first mission yesterday, challenges make me want to beat them.

The first time I saw one of the gameplay videos of MH Tri, I was really worried if the game is easy, but now, I so feel like come at be monstros.

Lagiacruz.

He's such a different beast in the water. On land he's remarkably easy (Too big to really be a threat) but underwater where he has room he's easily the most threatening monster, especially if you face him alone.

Peru

Ok so I feel I understand the armor skills, you've got the active ones and then you can add decorations to joust the ones on the edge, either - or +, from 9 to 10 etc. But what about the pluses and minuses you get on the "stats" screen? Is that also the armor? I have -6, so non-active, on fire res for armor skills, but on the stats screen I've got fire -15. Can you manipulate these numbers?

Peru said:
Ok so I feel I understand the armor skills, you've got the active ones and then you can add decorations to joust the ones on the edge, either - or +, from 9 to 10 etc. But what about the pluses and minuses you get on the "stats" screen? Is that also the armor? I have -6, so non-active, on fire res for armor skills, but on the stats screen I've got fire -15. Can you manipulate these numbers?
Yeah, that confused me at first too. The elemental resistance numbers are separate from armor skill points. The -6 Fire Res in armor skill points is indeed inactive; the -15 Fire on the status screen is a property of your armor. If you were to change that -6 to a -10, the armor "skill" will kick in and change the -15 to a -25. If you were to change that -6 to a +10, the armor skill will kick in and change the -15 to a -5.

But in general, don't worry about elemental resistances; it's not worth the armor skill points to get a resistance skill. Unless you're far in the negative on the status screen, you're not going to notice a big difference. Early on, upgrading your armor's defense is going to pay more dividends and later on, you'll have more useful skills to choose from.

Most of the elemental attacks from monsters are easy to dodge as well once you recognize the tells.

Peru

First encounter with Lagiacrus wasn't very hard, although I did waste enough time for him to jump into the sea and give me a taste of his more potent powers. Have to say this: What a beautiful beast, what a great design! And the in game model looks so good, its skin, its movement. Truly worthy of being a cover boy.

Meanwhile the tundra is a hateful place. I don't mind unstable encounters much in general, but that slimy gigginox creepy crawling up the caves while I'm trying to mine for super annoyingly rare thing that the spots never ever seem to give me... made me abandon forging a new weapon.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Hi all - shameless bump here. I just started playing again (HR 2 ZING) and was hoping to play with some other not so awesome players, if you still exist. Trying to learn the ins and outs of things. Anyone still play?

I play with one other friend, but we just voice chat via Steam. No USB keyboard at the moment to use with it.

I still play weekly. I don't have a low HR character but I can always make/equip level-appropriate gear to help you along without carrying you. I'm trying to branch out to other weapon classes so I'll probably cart more often than you in low rank gear. :lol

North American server or European server? Just post in this thread or in the community thread.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm on NA server and have been playing from like, 6/7 EST until midnight or so, on and off with breaks. I think I'm HR 5 now.

Did a kill and a capture of my first Great Ludroth and Qurupeco (albeit is was online). Both of these monsters were reasonably tough for me to manage. Their patterns seemed far more sporadic than say, the Great Jaggi that the game introduces you to. As I'm learning and getting introduced to the more exciting fights, I'm getting more and more sucked in, so that's a plus.

I can learn the patterns in time, but I'm having an issue with being a lancer. Overall, I've got a grasp on combos with dodge cancels to eliminate the cool down, and countering/blocking when appropriate. But sidestep dodging has me sort of confused. I'd venture to say that about 50% of the time, I manage to execute it fine. The other 50% has me turning a little and backstepping, which usually results in me getting hit. Any tips on this?

Great, NA server means we can play together. I'm PST though.

If you're turning and backhopping when trying to sidestep, you're either not inputting the evade command and the analog stick direction at the same time or more likely, taking too long after your last stab to do the action. Any lancing tips beyond basic mechanics should probably come from somebody else though since lance is quite easily my worst weapon class. :p

Post your ID code or ingame name in either the community thread or here so people can find you when you're online. I guess bumping the thread when you're going on helps but I'm not sure how active other Tri GAFers are atm. I know DragonGirl, Lance BP, and Chopper Dave used to hunt somewhat regularly on Fri. afternoons.

Top Bottom