• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate announced for Wii U/3DS, coming to West, no 3DS online

What do you guys find so fun about this series/this game?

I find it enjoyable enough, but honestly I'm just gonna hit stuff and set a couple traps here and there. I had fun enough playing the demos, but the lack of a (real) lock-on hurts a bit.

I find it enjoyable enough, but honestly I'm just gonna hit stuff and set a couple traps here and there. I had fun enough playing the demos, but the lack of a (real) lock-on hurts a bit.

Its really the great sense of accomplishment when you take down a huge beast or when you finally get the carves you need for that weapon/armor set that you've been working so hard for. Plus online is crazy fun.

kidko

I like how the monsters feel alive-- that you have to learn them and get to know them each time, not just master your weapons and mow down everything.

Pretty great animations on the monsters too, and pretty cool AI.

I also like the general vibe of it all: the attitudes of the NPCs, visiting the online city and feeling like you left your small village and stepped into a huge city with thousands of competing hunters... it's cool how the NPCs seem to have adapted a fun and interesting lifestyle around living next to all these giant crazy monsters.

But really, once you get 3 friends together and barely survive a crazy hard hunt, the feeling of camaraderie and satisfaction is unmatched from any online coop I've played, including MMO raids.

Hiltz

I don't know about the handheld versions, but the home console Monster Hunter games don't really need lock-on. The camera works well and rarely gets in the way.

Fewr

A question for experienced MHers, how often did you fail new monster missions, or how many times did it normally take you to "learn" a new monster. You can divide your answer into two parts: when learning the game, and once you knew the mechanics and it was all a matter of learning a new monster´s patterns / behavior. If you want, you could also make a distinction between online vs solo play.

God knows I´ll do backflips naked when I finally manage to beat that fish/eel-like monster (plesioth?) that stares at the horizon whilst silently mocking me. I´ll also enjoy every second I spend defiling its scaly corpse.

chronosic

A question for experienced MHers, how often did you fail new monster missions, or how many times did it normally take you to "learn" a new monster. You can divide your answer into two parts: when learning the game, and once you knew the mechanics and it was all a matter of learning a new monster´s patterns / behavior. If you want, you could also make a distinction between online vs solo play.

God knows I´ll do backflips naked when I finally manage to beat that fish/eel-like monster (plesioth?) that stares at the horizon whilst silently mocking me. I´ll also enjoy every second I spend defiling its scaly corpse.

Learning the games mechanics is the major thing you need to do. After knowing the fundamentals you should be able to take on whatever gets thrown at you if you use the right gear. But the beauty is that even after you feel like you know everything, there's always some monster that's going to get you.

The enjoyment of this game is actually kind of hard to quantify. The game feels like a mix of these genres to me:
-Action RPG
-Hunting sims
-3D Fighting game
-MMO (at least with item "farming")

with resource gathering, farming (as in growing things), fishing, and crafting all mingled together. And you don't just hunt monsters - you actually will spend quite a bit of time going into the various areas to gather resources you will need to help craft items and the various potions and other things you will need on a hunt A variety of potions are typically necessary to remove certain status ailments you may receive from the monsters or from the environment itself.

So there's a lot of preparation involved before going on a monster hunt including deciding what items/potions to bring with you, and even what minion to bring (as they can have different skills), and what armor/weapons to use. Even just figuring out how to best prepare for a fight and gather the resources you need for the fight is really fun in its own way.

Success in defeating many of the monsters honestly comes down to just you, your skill with your chosen weapon, and your knowledge of the monster you are hunting. Most everything else (including upgraded armor sets or weapons) can simply be icing on the cake. In reality, you usually can't take on the harder monsters with newbie level equipment just simply due to the limited time you have versus your damage output but there are videos on YouTube of naked runs where people with far far more skill than I are able to take on some very difficult monsters with intentionally bad equipment and items.

So at the end of the day this game is all about skill. You can't simply just "grind" through it like most RPGs to be successful. The game requires, no demands, patience, determination, and is the type of game that will make you want to throw your controller at a wall in frustration as you rage quit out. And then a minute later you get an idea of how you might be able to beat that monster and the idea bugs you so much that you find yourself booting up the game again a few minutes later to try yet again... :)

By the way, I've only played Monster Hunter Freedom Unite on my Vita and the MH3U demo on my 3DS so I would not consider myself an "authority" on MH but that is what I enjoy about the game.

Fewr

Learning the games mechanics is the major thing you need to do. After knowing the fundamentals you should be able to take on whatever gets thrown at you if you use the right gear. But the beauty is that even after you feel like you know everything, there's always some monster that's going to get you.
Thanks, that´s what I´m looking forward to the most when playing this game.
Attn Andrex or whoever is doing the OT, make sure you include all these questions and answers into a comprehensive faq. From this to charms, to digital vs physical, etc.

Andrex: Thanks for the effort, the more info you provide there, the more gaffers I think will give it a go, and the less frustration and giving up we get to see after thy´ve tried.

Thanks also to experienced players who have answered all questions asked, no matter how dumb they may have been.

wsippel

Banned

Lock-on wouldn't work. Quite a few monsters are too fast and agile - if you tried to fight, say, Nargacuga or Barioth with lock-on, you'd probably vomit all over your GamePad within seconds. Also, monsters have different hitzones and breakable parts, so what would you lock on to in the first place?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
It would be really awesome if there was a thread, like something official, where we could exchange Nintendo ID's and all that.

That would be great.

I had them. Both. The 3DS and the Wii U versions in my hands. Best Buy had them on the shelf.

The guy at the counter tried to scan them. "This item is not yet available for sale." The computer refused to let me sell them to him in any way. The manager came over and confirmed it. I asked them to remove the ten copies they had on the floor to prevent anyone else from knocking over their magazine racks.

Pineconn

OT is coming together well. Is there any place that has 3G Monster icons? MH Wiki fails.

It has them, but you have to dig for them.

70px-Jhen_Mohran_Subspecies_Icon.png

It's under "In-Game Description" for each monster.

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Jhen_Mohran_Subspecies

I'll do some research and see if some monsters don't have them.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It has them, but you have to dig for them.

70px-Jhen_Mohran_Subspecies_Icon.png

It's under "In-Game Description" for each monster.

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Jhen_Mohran_Subspecies

I'll do some research and see if some monsters don't have them.

Thanks. I think I'll post the text version of that section and then maybe add the images later. OT should be live in the next hour. Maybe.

Just post the OT and edit the icons and all that shit later. Nobody reads it anyway :p

Good idea, glad I thought of it. :p

Top Bottom