• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mupod

That's a great OT, you'll see me here asking a lot of questions once I get the game.

And you'll see me here answering them...when I'm stuck at work and can't play.

I think I was approaching 200 posts combined in the threads we were using until now. I may have a problem.

Still on the fence about getting this before a Wii U price drop but the Target deal is awfully tempting. If I abuse the B2G1 free deal by returning the other two games later, I could essentially pick up a basic SKU + MonHun for $290 before sales tax...

x7ma2.jpg
Dear god wtf is this shit? lol

Really looking forward to this one. I was really late to the party with Tri so it will be nice to be playing right from the start this time. Added my name to the list.

*adds id to the list*

Nargacuga here I coooooommmmmmeeeeee! ~

I'm going for that rare Narga G-Rank armor set:

Carving Master
Sharpness +1
Challenger +1
Status Res Up
Bad Luck

Challenger +1: When staying at the same area as raged big monsters, add Attack Up (S) and Critical Eye +1. I can probably gem the set to have Challenger +2 (Attack Up (L) amd Critical Eye +2) and remove Bad Luck.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Fixed the corners in the saw battern of the banner not being sharp enough for one reason...

If anyone has any FAQ entries they want to add, feel free to suggest them.

added myself to da list

still don't know what controller to roll with. CC Pro > gamepad but dat microphone

Gonna be running with the Classic Controller Pro from the Wii. Had no issues with it on Tri and in the 3U demo. I'll be using the GamePad to plug in some nice headphones when I play at night.

I wasn't a massive fan of the demo either to be honest, but I'm starved for Wii U games and really really want to like this, so will pick it up and give it a proper go.

Razlo

This guy is getting MH on both 3DS & Wii U. Really hope this does well and we can also be graced by MH4's presence before I die.

Nemesis_

Quote the OP to see the links to the google spread sheet

EDIT: Satch, i am not fining a NNID by the name of Satchy

Satch is having a mental breakdown that people might not be able to add her.

So, a PSA - You can add Satchy via the friends list, but for some reason not through the MiiVerse. I assume it has to propagate or something and has yet to.

Thank you and good night.

iY7f3h54VuO9c.gif

Emitan

Fixed the corners in the saw battern of the banner not being sharp enough for one reason...

If anyone has any FAQ entries they want to add, feel free to suggest them.

Q: Why are the controls bad?

A: Why can't you learn animation timing?

So, a PSA - You can add Satchy via the friends list, but for some reason not through the MiiVerse. I assume it has to propagate or something and has yet to.

iY7f3h54VuO9c.gif

Thank you for the update. I would be upset too if i got a name i like and had similar issues.

Satch

Banned

iY7f3h54VuO9c.gif

bless your kindness

Mupod

I wasn't a massive fan of the demo either to be honest, but I'm starved for Wii U games and really really want to like this, so will pick it up and give it a proper go.

If it helps any, I didn't like MH at first. Now look at what I've become.

If you stick with it, the game will click eventually. As far as starting-off points go there's never been a better MH than this.

I'm so conflicted...

I've always wanted to try the Monster Hunter games and this is a great excuse to be all over my Wii U. I have Zombi U, NSMBU, and COD and VERY ready for a new game.

On the other hand it looks pretty confusing to a noob. I really don't have 20 hrs a week to play this and it seems like it would be a huge time commitment to do it right.... The gem table thing alone has boggled my mind.

Not sure what to do.

Doorman

I know it's a bit long-winded and if this turns out to be a major faux pas then I'll remove it, but I figured with a fresh OT and an influx of new people trying the game out, I wanted to repost something that I wrote back in the demo thread addressing some of the common complaints and explaining to people who may have just started the demo up for the first time and don't quite "get it" yet where I believe much of the Monster Hunter appeal lies:

Doorman said:
Monster Hunter is...

...a game that expects a lot from its players. Newcomers have probably gotten this sense already just from playing the demo. The various systems are explained better within the full game, with regards to gathering items, crafting/upgrading equipment, skills, and of course combat, but they largely leave it up to the player to experiment with everything that's laid out for them. Ultimately it's up to you to decide what weapon types you're most effective with, how to use them on each particular monster, what skills you want to specialize in, what items to bring along, and so forth. You're given a ton of options, but it's left up to you to work out the minute details of what's most relevant to you. Don't expect your hand to be held once you start getting to the large monsters.

...about improving yourself as much as improving your character. You can classify Monster Hunter as an action-RPG, but I don't feel that either half of that description really does the game justice. You have equipment with attack and defense stats, elemental effects, special skills and so on, but unlike most games with character progression of that nature, the focus is not solely on getting better gear for your character. It is just as focused on honing your actual ability to play the game. Nothing is more valuable to your success than your own experience, whether it be understanding the maps, learning the monsters' patterns and attacks, or even things as basic as how to best move around using your weapon of choice. You will constantly be learning new things as you go.

...slow and "clunky," but deliberately so. It makes sense when you think about it. You're not a space marine or some gene-infused supersoldier in Monster Hunter, you are just a regular (albeit extremely well-conditioned) human being, hauling and swinging around weaponry that probably weighs up to several hundred pounds. Of course swinging a great sword is going to be slow to wind-up and recover from. Weaponry has a major sense of weight and momentum to it, and in that sense MH is actually much more realistic than most other games involving weapons like this. As the goal is to defeat monsters without getting your own ass kicked, attacks are meant to be accurate and methodical. Pick your spots wisely and know when to attack, and just as importantly when not to attack. You are fighting beasts many times your own size that are much more powerful than you. You are more vulnerable than they are, keep that in mind.

...more like a fighting game than an action game. What I mean by this is kind of tied to the last two points. Obviously this isn't Street Fighter, but you'll have a bit more success with the controls and pace of the game if you think about it from that mindset more than comparing it to, say, a Devil May Cry or other contemporary action games. Any weapon class you use, you instantly have access to their full array of moves. Every weapon class is given its own diverse set of tools, much like fighting game characters get their same set of attacks and specials right out the gate. Mastery of the game first comes from learning the nuances of the weapon you're using. What sort of combos can be performed, which moves can be roll-cancelled out of, what attacks can you use to boost your mobility, so on and so forth. And also just like a fighting game, the core toolset that you develop has to be tweaked and adjusted to suit the opponent that you face. Just like learning how to predict what moves your opponent will do and countering them with your own, so too must you learn the behaviors of monsters and figure out how to best exploit them using your weapon. Defeating all of the boss monsters in this game comes down to more than just running up, hitting them, healing and repeating. As you fight a monster repeated times, you come to learn their patterns, figure out when and where to dodge, when and where to attack, predict what they're about to do and be ready to punish them when they do it. Your moveset is fixed, but your strategies are always evolving.

...based around the balance of investment and reward. The people that play Monster Hunter often spend a LOT of time playing Monster Hunter. Why is that? There are only so many monsters to fight, it can't take that long...but that's where the investment and reward come into play. Every boss encounter, when you first reach it, is a big affair. They can be difficult, it might take several lengthy attempts before you can bring down a monster that troubles you. Seemingly everybody finds a "wall" beast at some point or another...but the thing about Monster Hunter's most dedicated players is that the boss fights extend beyond simple pass/fail bouts that are completed once and abandoned in favor of the next thing. As I said, the more experience you gain using certain weapons or against certain monsters will sharpen you and give you a better handle on how to fight the next time around. The first time you defeat a monster that gives you trouble is immensely satisfying, but to me just as enjoyable of a feeling is facing a monster until you've got its behavior mastered. Even in Tri I still enjoyed facing the Great Jaggi long after he ceased to be a threat, because I knew how he moved so well that he can be decimated in one or two minutes while barely (or never) taking damage. This doesn't strike me as the sort of game that you play just to beat, rather it's one that you play to master, and you'll feel far more powerful and far more satisfied from slaying a beast and knowing that the victory was won by your own experience and precision rather than simply building up stats over time.

...a game filled with player-generated memorable moments. During one of my earlier forays into bowgunning while playing on Tri with a group of my friends, we took on the Qurupeco. Late in the fight, he began to limp away and took off, intending to fly off to another area to rest. In a fit of desperation I launched my last Crag shot shell into the air long after he was out of everyone else's reach. The resulting explosion dropped him right out of the sky and sent him flopping back down onto the ground where the rest of my team promptly swarmed in and finished him. It was an awesome "oh no you don't!" moment that we all got to laugh and share in, and it's but one of many high-emotion moments to be had. Whether you feel desperation turn to triumph like above, the tension of just barely dodging several attacks in quick succession with just a sliver of health left, taking a huge beast head-on, or even just screwing around with gestures in the multiplayer cities, those patented "Monster Hunter Moments" have become one of the series' hallmarks, and unlike a lot of games nowadays who look to generate memories through deliberate set-piece action shots or plot twists, the highest highs and lowest lows of Monster Hunter are always the ones you experience while wrapped in the midst of play. The cooperative nature of it, to me, makes for much more fun "war stories" than the tales of k/d domination in other multiplayer-focused games.

As I suggested back then, if you're curious about finding some of that appeal, I'd recommend newcomers to the series to try fighting the lagombi a few times in a row, perhaps even using the same weapon each time. Pay close attention to how he moves, see if you can start to anticipate when he'll do certain attacks and how to avoid them. With some patience, you can drastically cut down on how often you get hit and how quickly you can defeat him. If being able to take him down with ease when you struggled earlier feels satisfying, then the full game is definitely worth a shot.

I'm so conflicted...

I've always wanted to try the Monster Hunter games and this is a great excuse to be all over my Wii U. I have Zombi U, NSMBU, and COD and VERY ready for a new game.

On the other hand it looks pretty confusing to a noob. I really don't have 20 hrs a week to play this and it seems like it would be a huge time commitment to do it right.... The gem table thing alone has boggled my mind.

Not sure what to do.

Just ignore the charm table, IMO. It's more for players who are crazy about gemming in the best possible skills at G-Rank level sets. Once you actually grasp what "Monster Hunter" actually is, it's a very rewarding experience. The community is pretty amazing as well - lots of people willing to help online with your quests and stuff. Such as I =)

Yeah, I was a little concerned about the charms table lock at first, but then I ceased to give a shit. I just want to have fun.

Just ignore the charm table, IMO. It's more for players who are crazy about gemming in the best possible skills at G-Rank level sets. Once you actually grasp what "Monster Hunter" actually is, it's a very rewarding experience. The community is pretty amazing as well - lots of people willing to help online with your quests and stuff. Such as I =)

Gemming skills is great, but like you said, it is only for the OCD.

Getting certain skills into every dam armor set almost defeats the purpose of building more sets. Once you stop wanting to build, alot of the drive to keep playing dies. It was finnaly got me off of playing tri. Having way more monsters to kill in this is huge for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom