• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doombear

Just ignore the charm table, IMO. It's more for players who are crazy about gemming in the best possible skills at G-Rank level sets. Once you actually grasp what "Monster Hunter" actually is, it's a very rewarding experience. The community is pretty amazing as well - lots of people willing to help online with your quests and stuff. Such as I =)

I would have agreed with this, and did in fact tell my friend the same thing, but the new info that seems to imply that tables 12 and 16 have no Rustshards at all is a bit worrisome.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I wish I was as decisive as you. Still hesitant on grabbing a WiiU just for this.

I was iffy at first myself but I would like to have the ability to play online with others. Seeing as the 3DS doesn't have that, I don't have much of a choice. :lol

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
My fellow hunters, do the 3DS and Wii U demos give a good idea of the performance/controls of the game or will I be faced of some scenarios that'll make me reconsider (regret?) which version I picked?

Here's what Yuri over at Capcom Unity said about the Charm Tables for those curious:

Hey guys, sorry I haven't had the time to investigate this issue in its entirety. It seems this discussion is going into some really good depth and detail though.

However, I finally heard back from the Dev team, and MH3U is the same as MH3G as far as charm tables go. You are locked to one table as you create your character. I did not get any reasoning behind this choice, but hopefully this won't be too much of a problem - especially with the tools you guys are finding online.

Once again the feedback was sent, but I'd like to hear how you feel about this in a couple of months, and see if your impressions on the subject have changed.

I think if it becomes an issue, it could always be patched. It is a bummer that you can't acquire Rust Shards if you land on Table 12 or 16, and RS are required to complete certain armor sets. I'll definitely be looking into which table I land on, personally.

ugoo18

I would have agreed with this, and did in fact tell my friend the same thing, but the new info that seems to imply that tables 12 and 16 have no Rustshards at all is a bit worrisome.

Can you please explain this, i've seen this statement pop up a couple of times. Was something like this in the original Tri?

Blockhead1700, your friends list must be full because i cant add you, but i can others. You should delete some otherwise having your name on the google sheet is useless!

Or they will be silly like me and think their list is full.

Hnnnnnnnggggg, I have so much stuff to do the next four months but whatever: HYPE, take me away!!!

Digital double dip and add me up for this: NNID is AkimbO_LUC, region EU (not that it matters after the return of the Capgods).

Fewr

As I suggested back then, if you're curious about finding some of that appeal, I'd recommend newcomers to the series to try fighting the lagombi a few times in a row, perhaps even using the same weapon each time. Pay close attention to how he moves, see if you can start to anticipate when he'll do certain attacks and how to avoid them. With some patience, you can drastically cut down on how often you get hit and how quickly you can defeat him. If being able to take him down with ease when you struggled earlier feels satisfying, then the full game is definitely worth a shot.

I remember my first time I had a battle with the rabbit (using hammer) I lost and wrote a post here about how I kept using the twirling attack but didn't get too far. I then took the time to check the rest of my attacks, and beat the thing on my second try, and now every time I give it a go I notice I get a little better, and yes, this is what I think makes the game worth your patience and dedication.

Bought a Wii U just for this game, next week can't come soon enough!

My nnid is added to the list. Excited to play with the fishing crew once more!

Satch

Banned
ok i think i added everyone...

Here's what Yuri over at Capcom Unity said about the Charm Tables for those curious:

I think if it becomes an issue, it could always be patched.

except you... your name gave me an error that said you have either been deleted/you can't use friend features

TheExodu5

Banned
I think if it becomes an issue, it could always be patched. It is a bummer that you can't acquire Rust Shards if you land on Table 12 or 16, and RS are required to complete certain armor sets. I'll definitely be looking into which table I land on, personally.

Can you trade materials online?

This is a massive problem if some RNG factor determines that I can never get certain gear.

Jarsonot

I guess I wouldn't normally worry about the charm tables, but if this game is as addicting as it seems, and if I get into it, I don't want to have a character w/ 100+ hours and be permanently gimped out of getting certain things.

So just in case, I'm going to try the trick and choose my charm table. There I said it.

Ken

I was iffy at first myself but I would like to have the ability to play online with others. Seeing as the 3DS doesn't have that, I don't have much of a choice. :lol

Yeah, online is pretty much the only reason I'm even considering a Wii U. But $300 for online play seems a bit much for me. Guess I'll find out what happens when I'm standing in line for the game Tuesday.

By the way, how painless is save transferring? Is it something I can do quickly on a daily basis without feeling like it's the worst thing ever?

You made me realize how long its been since i played Tri. You are right, you can only trade items that you hold in your inventory.

Trading equipment and the like would pretty much destroy one of the biggest aspects of the game: being badass enough to kill enough Jho's and wear his skin as a trophy.

Pineconn

I'll be playing at Launch... New but mastered the demo...

You may have mastered the demo, but prepare for being inundated with armor sets, resource points, farming, item management, combining, skills, food skills, hunter rank points, zenny, gems, mining, fishing, upgrading your shit, traversing through weapon trees, upgrading your offline partners' skills/abilities, and getting stuck on that one FAWKING monster that keeps throwing you on the kittycart.

Monster Hunter!

It's weird, right? 3DS and Wii U are essentially the same game, but 3DS can't go online, while Wii U can (same game? Both have wireless?) and 3DS can do local co-op while Wii U can't.

It's weird I tell ya.

Same content, but not the same game. Its a sad omission, but there must be a technical reason why it wasnt feasible. That or they knew they wouldn't be able to merge the online servers of both versions into one and thus didnt want to fraction the user base.

You may have mastered the demo, but prepare for being inundated with armor sets, resource points, farming, item management, combining, skills, food skills, hunter rank points, zenny, gems, mining, fishing, upgrading your shit, traversing through weapon trees, and getting stuck on that one FAWKING monster that keeps throwing you on the kittycart.

Monster Hunter!

My personal favorite: getting stuck on that one monster who won't drop its rare material (2% or 5% drop rate) to complete your armor set.

Same content, but not the same game. Its a sad omission, but there must be a technical reason why it wasnt feasible. That or they knew they wouldn't be able to merge the online servers of both versions into one and thus didnt want to fraction the user base.

Or they wanted you two buy two versions. Local co-op could have easily been implemented on the Wii U version..

oneils

I don't think it is a technical limitation. Its just a hunch, but I think it is a way to encourage people to buy both versions of the game. 3DS for local co-op, Wii-U for online.

Jarsonot

The server merge is one of the better arguments I've heard as to why they didn't do it, but since there are games that'll play nice cross-platform (android/ios) I'd think they could tackle that issue.

Who knows, though. I suppose it doesn't matter, it is what it is, but I am a bit curious.

MaleGardevoir

Neo Member
Adding myself to the list. Can't wait for next week. Gonna pick up the game after I finish my finals on the 19th. Also, my first post on NeoGAF, yay!

stop you are going to make me punch my monitor for never getting a Rath Ruby

CANT WAIT!!!

I helped kill so many fucking silver raths in unite through adhoc party for some of those damn rubies. It made me feel helpless.

Like losing something in real life, when you dont really want it or need it, the drop fairy will finally visit.

Kyzon

Beautiful OT up there. I ordered the Amazon bundle so I'll have both the 3DS and Wii U versions. Can't wait to play with all of ya :D

Added my NNID to the list, but if anyone's too lazy to see it then NNID: Kyzon_Xin

Teknoman

Hopefully those Turtle Beach WiiU headsets work fine with this game. I wonder if it'll be push to talk or open mic?

Added my ID. So many Miiverse drawings will be made.

stop you are going to make me punch my monitor for never getting a Rath Ruby

CANT WAIT!!!

Think I got the Ruby after my second battle with it. People were freaking out for a while in the lobby after I told them about it. I've also got lucky with Lagiacrus, but after that the desire sensor kicked in.

Added myself to the list. I will say however that I won't actually be playing until the 23rd, since me and my friend are waiting till then for a charity thingy. If anyone wants to join the party for that, let me know!

So, if I have a Wii U, but prefer to play Monster Hunter on a portable and don't mind waiting a month to play online, am I totally safe buying the 3DS version? Anything else to know about that?

jercruz

Can you please explain this, i've seen this statement pop up a couple of times. Was something like this in the original Tri?

When you start a 'New Game', you are assigned a table that indicates what kind of charms you can get. there are lots of tables available. capcom probably did this so that different players can get different charms.

Its a one-off thing, once you begin you can never change what table you were assigned. how can you, when it is internal and invisible to you.

now, in theory its should be all fine and dandy. regardless of what table you get assigned, it shouldn't matter... BUT it seems that there are tables that are buggy. "cursed" is just a fancy way of saying it.

basically these "cursed" tables have poor charm selections and some will not give you minerals (that you mine) needed to forge special armours and/or weapons.

so basically these "cursed" tables can handicap your playing experience and the only way to get around it is to start a 'New Game'. annoying when you have poured hundreds of hours in the game.

Ken

So, if I have a Wii U, but prefer to play Monster Hunter on a portable and don't mind waiting a month to play online, am I totally safe buying the 3DS version? Anything else to know about that?

Yeah, seems like a good move since you can just transfer your save to your Wii U.

oneils

When you start a 'New Game', you are assigned a table that indicates what kind of charms you can get. there are lots of tables available. capcom probably did this so that different players can get different charms.

Its a one-off thing, once you begin you can never change what table you were assigned. how can you, when it is internal and invisible to you.

now, in theory its should be all fine and dandy. regardless of what table you get assigned, it shouldn't matter... BUT it seems that there are tables that are buggy. "cursed" is just a fancy way of saying it.

basically these "cursed" tables have poor charm selections and some will not give you minerals (that you mine) needed to forge special armours and/or weapons.

so basically these "cursed" tables can handicap your playing experience and the only way to get around it is to start a 'New Game'. annoying when you have poured hundreds of hours in the game.

Will these tables eventually be patched? I guess I am asking if this is a real 'bug' or is it by design? Great explanation, btw. Thanks.

Satch

Banned
must ignore charm tables MUST IGNORE CHARM TABLES

also: im trying to learn the sword and i noticed ive had to sharpen it twice every time i fight lagombi. i only need to sharpen my switch axe once. any reason why that is?

Ken

must ignore charm tables MUST IGNORE CHARM TABLES

also: im trying to learn the sword and i noticed ive had to sharpen it twice every time i fight lagombi. i only need to sharpen my switch axe once. any reason why that is?

I think it's because it's a faster weapons so you're getting out many more attacks from it so faster dulling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom