• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 |OT| Slay 'em, Skin 'em, Wear 'em

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Bad news for MonHun sales tomorrow I guess.

I doubt there will be a single physical copy left by the end of the day lol

After that will be folks raiding 7-11s and other conbinis for those DL cards. Im curious as to how the allocations for those work per store.

chadi

Ok. So I'm currently clearing the 1 star quests. Getting tired of killing G. Jaggi's with every weapon type. Lol.

Parakeetman

Ok. So I'm currently clearing the 1 star quests. Getting tired of killing G. Jaggi's with every weapon type. Lol.

Thats a pretty good idea though, to see how the weapons if any have changed due to how the terrain is now uneven and how that effects what we used to know for the attack patterns of the previous ones.

Ken

Are there any sites doing stuff like menu translations? Would be nice to have some bookmarked while I wait.

Parakeetman

I wonder if this game will have the training for the cats. Similar to MHP2G. Since that was always amusing raising them to be different that way. Unless its unlocked later on dont see an option for that.

Would be a shame if they removed it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Just got back. I should've known that no line outside of Joshin didn't necessarily mean no line in Joshin.

Waited in line for 30 minutes while every man woman and child in northern Osaka bought Monster Hunter. Didn't have my phone on me, or I would've taken a picture. It was cool to see.

I used to live in a small town, so I never dealt with lines, but I should've known I'd have to deal with lines living in the city, no matter how far out from the center I live.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'm glad I switched my preorder from Yamada in Ikebukuro to my local store. Instead of waiting for 2-3 hours, I got my copy in 5 minutes.

Parakeetman

And another joins the ranks~
yZKJj8G.jpg

on a separate note I just saw the attack on titan costume for 3G. :eek:

Busaiku

Can anyone verify if this drains battery at the normal 3DS game rate?

For most games on 3DS XL, at 4th Brightness, WiFi on, max sound, no Power Saving, I get at least 5.5 hours.
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on the other hand takes my system down at 4.5 at the most.

It's super annoying, easily the worst thing about that game.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Went back to 3 Ultimate today just to compare and I was kind of surprised to see the framerate in 4 is actually a bit better than it is in 3 Ulti (Wii U version).

Parakeetman

Went back to 3 Ultimate today just to compare and I was kind of surprised to see the framerate in 4 is actually a bit better than it is in 3 Ulti (Wii U version).

It was the same for the 3DS version. At times it looked like the FPS jumped up to 60. That would not happen at all on the PSP one.

The synthetic leather pouch arrived and damn is the thing sexy. Approve of this greatly! Doesnt add a lot of protection in terms of a semi hard shell like other cases, but it looks damned nice and should keep dust out.

Kandinsky

Ultimate WU version runs pretty bad compared to the 3DS one tho :p

Man I'm so jelly right now, just one more year :/

ranmafan

Just found out my copy has arrived at home! Looking forward to playing it after work today! With the bad weather in Japan this weekend, it will be a perfect game to keep me busy.

Parakeetman

Im still running around in my leather armor so might have to pass on that lest I get one shotted somewhere lol.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Story and monster spoilers for everything up until the 4 star village quests

First big monsters you face in order are: Alseltas, Great Jaggi, Velocidrome, Yian Kut-ku, Kechawacha, Tetsukabura, Gendrome, Nesukyura. The Velocidrome and Yian quests are in the Unknown Woods as part of the expedition quests.

You basically go from the first port town of Barbary, then once you go on the expedition quests to fight Yian Kut-ku, you're transported to the town of Naguri. Kind of a mining town with dwarves.

Here you fight Tetsukabura, Gendrome and Nesukyura. The storyline is that the magma has stopped in the cave depths, so the people of Naguri can't do any work or something. Once you beat Nesukyura the magma flows again and the village is once again prosperous. On your side, your caravan leader wants to find the source of a scale he found, and that's why he goes to Barbary and then Naguri. At Naguri, your group builds a ship to sail to Shinato, but gets attacked along the way by Gore Magala... so you're fighting that giant black thing on the ship the size of the one that you fight Jhen on... only he's ON the ship. He flies around the ship sometimes so you can use ballistas, cannons and the front drill too. You can also bail out of the if you get knocked down.

Monster strats!
Kechawacha:
If the zone is multi-tiered, always stay on the bottom. His attacks aren't too bad in general, but if you stay on the top tier he has more attacks to hit you with. He's the first monster you face that has a roar that can stun you too.

Tetsukabura:
Not that bad of a fight, pretty easy if you ask me. You'll want to break his tusks for the sub-quest objective

Nesukyura:
Fight him on top tiers if the zone is mult-tiered. He has a lot of attacks when he's swinging around. And his top spikes are also poisonous. He moves faster when on the top tier but his attacks aren't too powerful

Also, host migration is in for online :O No more lobbies closing after the host leaves! Finally!

Hedge

Host migration? Yesssss. They needed to add that anyway, in case of disconnects from the host, I guess?

Thanks for the summary. Living my MH4 life through bits like that. xD

ramyeon

The worst part is that I don't have the money for it :( so close to saying screw it and selling my Wii U to fund the purchase.

I just started a new game in MH3U to try and hold back the urge haha.

So does this game have a good story? I don't really pay attention to 3DS stuff but Ive been seeing alot of video ads for this on the train in Tokyo and the gameplay looks fantastic. But I typically I only go for console games, with at least a semi-decent story.

So does this game have a good story? I don't really pay attention to 3DS stuff but Ive been seeing alot of video ads for this on the train in Tokyo and the gameplay looks fantastic. But I typically I only go for console games, with at least a semi-decent story.

Monster Hunter usually has an overarching story line but its never been the main focus. Although for MH4 the developers said they wanted to put much more emphasis on the story this time around, so take that whatever way you want.

ramyeon

This series really isn't about the story at all. Usually the bare minimum necessary to provide a backdrop.

It generally equates to big bad monster is threatening small village, you need to work your way up until you can kill it.

Peru

Definitely seen more story so far in MH4, and more in-game cutscenes, characters, you move your camp based on the story etc. I thought the MH3 story was suitably charming, though - a lot of that down to witty writing.

ranmafan

Finally got a hold of my copy. Plan on playing this all night. Looking forward to playing the game online. I might add my FC to the list as well here.

moozoom

Idk if already posted but first 60 mins. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH0ghajpzAE

Thanks, I really wanted to see character customization, love the new face options ! But the best is Cat customization you can even make a scottish fold cat like maru !

The saturated colors of the first level are better in motion than in screenshots, it's surprising at first, but everything looks more colourful in the game so I guess it works together. The new animations for climbing are very quick and the pace of the character movement is very dynamic with the jumping and running.

The wait for an EU version will be excrutiating.

Top Bottom