• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 |OT| Slay 'em, Skin 'em, Wear 'em

How different is it from past games? Are the graphics a step up?
Graphics? Nah. But they added a lot new mechanics like climbing on monsters, jump attacks and multi-tiered zones, the rusted gear which is similar to the cursed gear in dragons dogma: dark arisen. 2 new weapons.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Graphics? Nah. But they added a lot new mechanics like climbing on monsters, jump attacks and multi-tiered zones, the rusted gear which is similar to the cursed gear in dragons dogma: dark arisen. 2 new weapons.

Id say the graphics are a step up considering how the maps are designed now and keeps the framerates.

Ratrat

Does the climbing etc work well? Like do you think it will be a main stay or removed like swimming in later versions.

Mondriaan

Does the climbing etc work well? Like do you think it will be a main stay or removed like swimming in later versions.
They removed a lot of things like whole weapon types in Tri that were in the previous games and added them back later, so adding things back later isn't totally without precedent.

Swimming totally sucks, though.

I am so jealous right now. But I still wish everyone in Japan and with enough money to import a blast. Will join as soon as a european eshop version is downloaded to my 3DS.

I noticed that my 3DS is switching back and forth from being connected to the Internet (blue) and local modus (orange) even tho I'm in SP mode in game. Is that just me?

test_account

XP-39C²
Not sure about other sites at the moment, but Japanese Amazon is the same, sadl. Not even sure if the re-sellers there send via email or not, but the pages say "not shipped outside Japan".

If Sony just got rid of region restrictions for cards, it'd be wonderful.
Yeah, you can buy (digital) US cards from amazon.com just fine , don't know why it's difficult for other cards. I guess usually the stores don't get digital codes in the first place and have to type it in? (or rather scan it?). Meh.
Yeah, pity that it isnt as easy to buy these PSN cards directly from Japan without having to go through resellers. I guess the only way is to get someone in Japan to buy the card and mail you the code as a token of friendship to avoid paying extra.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Looks like the servers for online play are down... maybe just way too many people playing the game. You'd think they would've expected this :/

Parakeetman

Works great and no stamina drain anymore. Really adds to the whole world the multi-tiered type of map design.

Looks like the servers for online play are down... maybe just way too many people playing the game. You'd think they would've expected this :/

Oh man thats insane...

Oichi

Ya, lots of people playing online, whowould've thunk!?!

I'm kinda happy it turned out this way because there were way too many people rocking the default equipment with 6 defense and getting two-shotted in my quests. :p

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'm kinda happy it turned out this way because there were way too many people rocking the default equipment with 6 defense and getting two-shotted in my quests. :p
I was thinking about going online right away, but didn't want to be one of those people, so I'm sticking to single player right now.

Parakeetman

I always go running around in leather at the start instead of heading straight for def to get back into the groove of things. Plus doing the usual collect everysingle thing possible around the world. Might work on the jagi set though since all I need is the dos parts as have way too much normal jagi pieces. Want to seriously upgrade the cat with some new gear though, so am progressing through the story quests.

Those little pillbug looking insects are hilarious. Am constantly running up to them and kicking em just for laughs.

Slowly learning the charge axe great weapon that thing is.

Ya, lots of people playing online, whowould've thunk!?!
But, but, this is a Japanese release, where local multiplayer is king (analyst quote) =P

Hopefully they'll have more servers up for it, but yeah they must have judged wrong on the amount of people online via Frontier and 3G etc.

Shurayuki

Had to bow out, pulling an all nighter and the cold weather got to me, good "morning" MH-gentlepeople!

Those little pillbug looking insects are hilarious. Am constantly running up to them and kicking em just for laughs.

Slowly learning the charge axe great weapon that thing is.

Charge Axe seems nice, have to get accustomed to it, Axe mode has a lot of oomph.
Killing those insects feels so evil, when they're dead their legs still twitch accusingly :(

It was probably already mentioned but loading times feel so great too, at least in the first two areas i've been to. and the vertical gameplay is ace, sometimes it feels like there should be a little jumping animation instead of just "running up" a gap in height, but i guess the gameplay is smoother this way.

Being way too tired before, I immediately forgot it told me to get the felyne and wondered why there were no more "village quests", so i ended up playing online jaggi solo and it felt so long in the starting gear. He gave me a good ass kicking here and there. Rusty rusty, to think I finished the Tri part of 3G in the Chainmail...
Now for some hunting with a bit more brainpower!

Addendum: Oh yeah and I added everyone from the OP (let's see how it goes, me being in EU and stuff) and from the thread, if I missed someone complain loudly!
What's everyone's favorite help resources? This JP Wiki was always my go-to for the series, of course it's still a bit empty in regards to 4

Zornica

Banned
no wonder link is in this game, the tutorials drag on forever lol
at least people who always wanted some detailed tutorials finally got their wish.
anyway...

I noticed that my 3DS is switching back and forth from being connected to the Internet (blue) and local modus (orange) even tho I'm in SP mode in game. Is that just me?

turn hunter search off. It should help. (bottom bar - bottom screen)

daakusedo

Something I wondered when I was thinking of playing Tri.
How do you manage all the farming stuff if you want to play the whole game in multiplayer?
Do you have at some point to go farming in solo play or you can get enough materials playing quests with friends?

DaBoss

If Pokemon wasn't coming out so soon, I would have been unable to control myself from MH4 hype.

It seems likely, given that they hosted the MH3U servers.

But that is probably more due to the fact it is a Wii U version which is something they wanted, so they provided servers for them.

How do you manage all the farming stuff if you want to play the whole game in multiplayer?
Do you have at some point to go farming in solo play or you can get enough materials playing quests with friends?

In MH3U, you can manage the farm from the online lobby area. I don't remember in other games.

Shurayuki

Material farming you mean? (a bit confusing because you have a farm that can grow supplies :D).
Well online quests have better droprates and usually go by faster than single player quests in the first place, so they're the best way to farm materials. Since everyone needs to farm you can just farm together and get stuff faster.

If you mean farm farming, you just buy supplies with all the money you'll be rolling in!

Ridley327

But that is probably more due to the fact it is a Wii U version which is something they wanted, so they provided servers for them.

That is true, but considering the alternative would have been for Capcom to go with that company they've used in the past that charges a monthly fee for players, it's just easier to assume that they decided to not be dicks. :D

jimmypython

internet at my place isn't up yet so had to download it at a local coffee shop (TimHortons)....the speed seems great so far...

daakusedo

Material farming you mean? (a bit confusing because you have a farm that can grow supplies :D).
Well online quests have better droprates and usually go by faster than single player quests in the first place, so they're the best way to farm materials. Since everyone needs to farm you can just farm together and get stuff faster.

If you mean farm farming, you just buy supplies with all the money you'll be rolling in!

Ok, I wondered if it wasn't a bit complicated to do all the mining and gathering on line cause I suppose 4 players won't want to do the same thing, I know this kind of stuff is boring me and would prefer to go straight to the fight, so the less you have to do that the more I can enjoy the game.

Shurayuki

Ok, I wondered if it wasn't a bit complicated to do all the mining and gathering on line cause I suppose 4 players won't want to do the same thing, I know this kind of stuff is boring me and would prefer to go straight to the fight, so the less you have to do that the more I can enjoy the game.

Ah, well yeah as far as mining goes, that might be true, you have to communicate if you just wander off and go mine (happens more often than you think hehe).
Capcom heard those concerns though, and they implemented an NPC with changing inventory so that you can buy most materials you would have to gather normally (best way to buy final armor stones for endgame too). I think that was DLC though, so they put it in a bit later? I only bought 3G last christmas, so a bit late to the party.

ranmafan

After a lot of outside interferences, I'm finally getting some time with the game. Nice to play a new monster hunter. I've been away from it far too long. Still wish I was good at it. Looking forward to finally getting it all right this time. Since others have posted their friend code, here is mine if anyone wants to add me: 3179-6099-1468

test_account

XP-39C²
That is true, but considering the alternative would have been for Capcom to go with that company they've used in the past that charges a monthly fee for players, it's just easier to assume that they decided to not be dicks. :D
I think that charing was done by Capcom just to make extra money, no?

Hedge

Can anyone with the game answer me a quick question?
Can you change your costum felyne's armor/weapon?

I read that you could, but I have seen no-one do it in livestreams and I was wondering if it got cut?

Ridley327

I think that charing was done by Capcom just to make extra money, no?

I was always under the impression that they were renting the servers, and passed the cost on to consumers. I know Capcom maintained the servers for MH1 and Tri in the US themselves, which led to good things like not having to pay fees, and led to some not so good things, like the room limits being halved.

Oichi

I read that you could, but I have seen no-one do it in livestreams and I was wondering if it got cut?

You can, however...

You have to reach Chico Village and PokaPoka Island (same place), then defeat Zaboazagil (shark monster) to be able to do it. So about 15 - 20 hours in

Parakeetman

Nope its in there. Those folks most likely just have not unlocked it / found mats yet.

chadi

Anybody know a good starter set that has an attack boost? The Jaggi set doesn't seem to have one this time around.

bidoof01

Banned
Got my Goa Magura LL and a bunch of other MH4 related goodness this morning. I live in a small town in Kagawa prefecture which is in the middle of fucking nowhere and there was still a queue of about 20 odd folk outside my local Geo store at 8am. God knows what the queues were like in the big cities.

Time to transfer all my stuff from my OG 3DS to my new LL and get hunting.

Man DAT 3ds looks so awesome. Can you post more pics of it?

Parakeetman

Just stomped that bug boss. Wasnt bad at all. Using my level 3 charge axe and running around in alloy armor. This weapon is pretty strong if you use it correctly. Really dig this a lot more than the slash axe.

The armor parts from that boss seems to have pretty crazy def from what I saw with a single part. Gonna be grinding this for a while I think~

Nags

Banned
Bleh. I'm so sick of MH. Tried playing MH3U, but just got tired of the same content from Tri, over and over again. Is this one completely new? Why does it have to look so bad?

Parakeetman

Bleh. I'm so sick of MH. Tried playing MH3U, but just got tired of the same content from Tri, over and over again. Is this one completely new? Why does it have to look so bad?

With an attitude like that you might as well not bother with hanging out here regardless of the new features added to 4.

komaruR

capcom should release a demo with insect staff. its really a new fresh weap type to play with.
played all the previous mh and im liking the insect staff so far. i havent tried charge axe but its probably somewhat like slashaxe but in sns mode, so probably not gonna be all that different to give me a fresh feel

Shurayuki

Just stomped that bug boss. Wasnt bad at all. Using my level 3 charge axe and running around in alloy armor. This weapon is pretty strong if you use it correctly. Really dig this a lot more than the slash axe.

The armor parts from that boss seems to have pretty crazy def from what I saw with a single part. Gonna be grinding this for a while I think~

You and your talking up the Charge Axe, rolled with Bug Staff for a while now and it's pretty fun, the mobility feels great. Hitzones are deceptively small with it though.
I'm not screwing anything up longterm if I level it up with all the fire essences (or whatchamaycallit) since you don't get others in the beginning?

Guess I'll give the axe a power up and spend some time with ittoo.

Parakeetman

You and your talking up the Charge Axe, rolled with Bug Staff for a while now and it's pretty fun, the mobility feels great. Hitzones are deceptively small with it though.
I'm not screwing anything up longterm if I level it up with all the fire essences (or whatchamaycallit) since you don't get others in the beginning?

Guess I'll give the axe a power up and spend some time with ittoo.

Im not sure about the bug staff I havent powered mine up yet as found some other types of items that increase different stats. But wanted to see what else was available first. Then will spend more time with the staff and mess with the juicing up the bug from there.

Wonder if you can reset its stats if you dont like how it turned out.

That charge axe though is great, the added bonus of being able to dizzy enemies too is pretty huge considering how many free hits you can start landing after that. Just the thing that takes a bit of work is managing the charges and switching back to the sword & shield mode to fill it up again. Seems like yellow fills it up half way and red will fill all charges. Really interesting weapon. Like how they gave it the "lance slide" too with how you side step with the sword and shield. Useful for dodging right after you load up the charges for the axe mode.

One thing am concerned with is how well does this weapon "play" with others. As with how wide the sweeping motions of the axe are can see a lot of blue on blue going on. D: Although it looks like the part of the animation that does damage is pre-set so there are frames where you will pass through things instead of hitting them. Need more time with it. If in a group I might just play with lance to prevent that from happening. As am not confident enough with the weapon to make sure I can prevent that for the most part. Should go level up one of the lances just for parties with you folks.

Time to take a break and pick up some groceries for a very very late dinner haha

Top Bottom