• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 |OT| Slay 'em, Skin 'em, Wear 'em

Shurayuki

It's a bit hard to go to the quest when 3ppl are standing there, always select somebody...

anybody found shortcuts yet? from the starting point?

Mondriaan

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B005MNP140/

3 stars on Amazon JP… Apparently the game isn't received well!?
Well, skimming through a bunch, I can somewhat relate. Blurry font, downgrade from PSP controls, and complaints about graphics in general.

I think the game will still do okay even if the rating were one or two stars, though.

[edit]Still reading through some of the reviews, and there are even 5 star reviews that are absolutely brutal, lol. I was wondering why I was seeing so many references to "submarine" (google translate for the win) but now I realize that it's a reference to underwater not being in 4, haha. There's some craziness in there: did anyone really buy the game for 455 yen? I've seen more than one reference to this. What I notice now is that this game is indeed a system seller, and many people are first time 3DS users complaining about how the 3DS feels.

Well, skimming through a bunch, I can somewhat relate. Blurry font, downgrade from PSP controls, and complaints about graphics in general.

I think the game will still do okay even if the rating were one or two stars, though.

They must be so used to the claw o_O 3DS controls way better than the PSP did, I can't stand the claw anymore.

NewGame

Banned
Hey Mon Hunners here's some questions:

Did they add a box feature which allows you to fill your hunters inventory with a preset list of items instead of having to manually grab each item before every quest?

What are the farms like in the village? From what I've seen there's the typical farm for mushrooms/herbs/bugs and there's fishing (Which I am assuming is like Tri), is there also a large BBQ for making lots of cooked steaks at once?

Can you buy/trade for all the typical items? Are gunners still crazy expensive?

Mondriaan

They must be so used to the claw o_O 3DS controls way better than the PSP did, I can't stand the claw anymore.
The claw is great. It was so good that it made having an auto-look/lock unnecessary.

I still find the claw the most comfortable way of using a bow on the classic controller pro, even if I have two analog sticks.

The claw is great. It was so good that it made having an auto-look/lock unnecessary.

I still find the claw the most comfortable way of using a bow on the classic controller pro, even if I have two analog sticks.

I had to get used to the claw for MHFU when I first got it, ever since getting Tri and 3Ultimate(for both 3DS and Wii) i'm having a really hard time going back :( But everyone has their preferred style.

Meesh

So...mostly people who don't actually own the game?
Actually I've been taking to a few on Miiverse who've imported the game and freel that outside of the ground/environment textures, the monsters apparently look exceptional. Honestly, people will always find something that irks them though...

CTLance

Idk if already posted but first 60 mins. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH0ghajpzAE
Hahaha, I don't know a lick of Japanese, but watching him(?) get stuck on the "Combine stuff to get a Mega Potion(?)" Tutorial Quest was hilarious.

He just runs right past the plant he harvested like three minutes earlier, ignoring the annoying recurring dialogue, bleeps and map marker, then waltzes to the last area and back to the box, realizes that Honey might be useful somehow since it featured so prominently in the cutscene, runs aaaaaaaaall the way back to the last area to get it, back to the box, by now ignoring the bleeps, NPC dialogue and map marker pointing at the damn plant and its Herbs for like the billionth time. Then he just gives up and ends the video right there. Not belittling him or anything, I think it's just so funny to see him get stuck on THAT of all things after navigating all those cryptic menus and whatnot that would have stumped me big time.

( Gotta say, the image quality in the youtube vid looks kinda gross, but whatever. MH is all about the gameplay, and while better graphics certainly would be nice, they're not exactly pivotal. Also, dunno how it would look in original size instead of on the big screen...

Man, those tutorials are amazingly obnoxious. Hot diggity damn. What were they thinking. Please tell me you can skip all that gunk. The school in MH2G was hot garbage, but at least it let you do your own stuff and explore things at your own leisure.

Felyne Character creation looks awesome! WANT.)

Shurayuki

Alright everyone, that was a nice...insane amount of hours of hunting with you, OtsukaReina!

Also added ranmafan and komaruR, if you see this.

I'm LoVendoR ingame よろしくお願いします. m(_ _)m

Anura

Hmmm, not going anywhere today.. it's rainy and perfect for staying at home.

Hopefully I can hunt with others today...? Anyone? =D

I caught the others at the very tail end of their hunts so I'm still down for some more

Also nice hunts guys! Thanks for the HR up

ranmafan

Game has been a blast so far. Just wish I had more time to play last night.

I want to try an online game soon. I'm still quite weak at the game, but probably best I get my feet wet online sooner than later. Ill try to be online later tonight if possible.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Some of those Amazon reviews are really facepalm worthy - "should have been released on the Vita". Yes, it would be great if it came for the Vita, but come on.

For everyone worried that it hasn't been received well, the score for MH3G on Amazon is 3,5 stars, so only 0,5 higher.

All that said, the reports of slowdowns make me a bit worried - anyone here hit those yet?

Due to my increasingly epic battle with a hangover, I've only been able to play past the very first quest. I now know how to cook meat. Lol.

But damn the opening was pretty crazy compared to every single prior MH game. Super cool stuff and a great way to kind of throw you into the world.

It also feels like it's a lot more beginner friendly in terms of the build up.

Anura

Some of those Amazon reviews are really facepalm worthy - "should have been released on the Vita". Yes, it would be great if it came for the Vita, but come on.

For everyone worried that it hasn't been received well, the score for MH3G on Amazon is 3,5 stars, so only 0,5 higher.

All that said, the reports of slowdowns make me a bit worried - anyone here hit those yet?

I got some with two hunters and two cats but none with 4 hunters... It's kinda weird

Anyways jinouga got a speed boost! He moves faster now Edit: just unlocked Tigrex too! Aw yeah

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

[edit]Still reading through some of the reviews, and there are even 5 star reviews that are absolutely brutal, lol. I was wondering why I was seeing so many references to "submarine" (google translate for the win) but now I realize that it's a reference to underwater not being in 4, haha. There's some craziness in there: did anyone really buy the game for 455 yen? I've seen more than one reference to this. What I notice now is that this game is indeed a system seller, and many people are first time 3DS users complaining about how the 3DS feels.

Sounds more like the usual 2ch amazon bomb going on. lol

Akainu

Good ole stuff dying at the edge of an area. You can't convince me this shouldn't be more open at least in a given area. Whats the name of the monster at the start? I'm sure it's not a Jhen clone right? They could have at least come up with a different roar for it. The character created has the most doucheist face ever. XD That video format sucks though. Wish it just had the screen with the action on it.

Halfmunch

Yeah, it's rather nice but the glossy finish makes it a complete fingerprint magnet.

For those who are playing, when does your Felyne join you on quests?

Awesome 3DS!

Actually, there's a post sign in the back of your bedroom. There you can assign the Felynes to join you on quests right away. You pick their armor and behaviors, etc.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Lobby open for anyone interested in farming Rathian with me. Hunter name is 北浜アンディ, Lobby pass is 5656

Top Bottom