• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 |OT| Slay 'em, Skin 'em, Wear 'em

Nisa65

Actually, there's a post sign in the back of your bedroom. There you can assign the Felynes to join you on quests right away. You pick their armor and behaviors, etc.

Thanks for that. Got it sorted now.

I've now finished all 2 star offline quests and got full Jaggi arnour but 3 star quests haven't unlocked yet. Anyone know what I've missed?

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Thanks for that. Got it sorted now.

I've now finished all 2 star offline quests and got full Jaggi arnour but 3 star quests haven't unlocked yet. Anyone know what I've missed?

Talk to some of the people in the first town, you also get quests from them. I think to advance you also need to go on the expedition quests (the blue icon on the world map)

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Lobby open for anyone interested in farming Rathian with me. Hunter name is 北浜アンディ, Lobby pass is 5656

Would take you up on that offer but need to get some real armor first, dont want to be "that guy" in the party lol

Hedge

Gah, people need to hurry up and farm both Goa Magara and
Shagaru Magara
, because I want to see their armors for both blademasters and gunners. c:

Insect staff users still use blademaster armor, ya?

Parakeetman

Gah, people need to hurry up and farm both Goa Magara and
Shagaru Magara
, because I want to see their armors for both blademasters and gunners. c:

Insect staff users still use blademaster armor, ya?

Since its a melee weapon yes it still uses the melee armor.

Nisa65

Talk to some of the people in the first town, you also get quests from them. I think to advance you also need to go on the expedition quests (the blue icon on the world map)

Cheers.

I just had to do the first two expedition quests and now the 2 star urgent is unlocked. Was nice fighting Kut-ku again. Been a long time since I've played Unite/2nd G.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Things learned from today's multiplayer:
If you're getting the "can't find room" error even though you see your friends as online on the list, the easiest (only?) way to fix is for everyone to reset their consoles.
At least that's what worked for us and it's also the only solution I've found online.

test_account

XP-39C²
I was always under the impression that they were renting the servers, and passed the cost on to consumers. I know Capcom maintained the servers for MH1 and Tri in the US themselves, which led to good things like not having to pay fees, and led to some not so good things, like the room limits being halved.
I have no idea to be honest. Its just a guess from my side, because Capcom is a big company and i would assume that they handled their own servers. But i could be wrong about the Monster Hunter Tri server situation.

Ridley327

I have no idea to be honest. Its just a guess from my side, because Capcom is a big company and i would assume that they handled their own servers. But i could be wrong about the Monster Hunter Tri server situation.

I believe that both PS2 games, in addition to Tri and the Wii port of MH1G, all had online fees.

Mondriaan

Nintendo is handling the servers for Tri Ultimate (everywhere?), so it seems like there ought to be a similar arrangement with MH4.

Anura

I just beat the
white gao magara
! The credits music is pretty nifty once it gets to the MH4 main theme

Oichi

Just did a little write-up of the Expedition quests. Pics at the link.

http://www.versuscity.net/2013/09/16/monster-hunter-4-expedition-quests/

One of the new (and coolest) things in Monster Hunter 4 is something called 探索, which I’ll translate as “expeditions”. In these expeditions you venture into an area called the Unknown Woods (未知の樹海), which is procedurally-generated and is full of monsters and stuff to gather. You can do your usual gathering of bugs, minerals and whatnot here, but what’s awesome about this place is that you can also excavate equipment! They call this 発掘装備 in Japanese so excavated equipment would be the most literal translation. Before you set off on an expedition, like in MH3′s Moga Woods you can see what kind of monsters may show up, if there are treasure areas with special goodies to gather, and the kind of weapon/armor you may find. These range from “original” series equipment to equipment that is found in Monster Hunter 2 or 3.
The areas found in the Unknown Woods are pretty rad too. Sometimes they’ll be flat marshlands, and sometimes you’ll find open areas with multi-tiered vines to climb on… and sometimes they’ll resemble a platformer with tons of pillars to jump around.

Once you have recovered the excavated equipment, you have to take it to Naguri village to get it polished and appraised, but it seems to be quite time-consuming to do this. You’re given some materials to use to appraise it at first, but after that you have to find your own. Or you can take your unwanted excavated equipment and convert them to materials, including the one you need to examine equipment. Visually the armor looks a little bit different from the regular ones, and the stats are different too. They can either be better or worse than the regular armor you can forge yourself. Some of them even come with gems permanently equipped! The Hunter Mail below has a base defense of 20, which is the same as the low rank Rathian armor!

This single player mode is definitely going to eat up a lot of time, especially now that they’ve basically added random loot drops. I read on the official site that you can register your expeditions to your Guild Quest list but it doesn’t seem so straightforward. It looks like you have to fulfill certain conditions to be allowed to register them. I guess they did this to avoid having people exploit certain quests with the monsters they want.

Mr. Fix

Are expedition quests timed?

Also, similar question but are there any "free exploration" maps like Moga Woods in MH3, with no time limit?

It's either timed, or after you pass a certain number of maps. You literally transition from one map to another, randomized, of course. Paintballs are useless because you only have the one map at hand. Also, there's a chance that you could face 2 monsters. On stream, the player eventually hit the end point.

Hedge

I just beat the
white gao magara
! The credits music is pretty nifty once it gets to the MH4 main theme

Could you possibly in any way post pictures of any of the available weapons/armors that can be made from this monster? :p

Anura

Could you possibly in any way post pictures of any of the available weapons/armors that can be made from this monster? :p

Nothing new appeared in the forge when I beat him but I can use his parts to upgrade my black gao bow but it looks the same once upgraded however it might be different for others weapons... I just don't have them yet

His armor looks cool though

Edit: just unlocked the Dahren Moran urgent!

Kuren

....waiting for my Play Asia order to ship...I think it's the E-Capcom part of the order that's holding it up. :(

Zornica

Banned
anyone up for another all-nighter like yesterday in an hour or so?
I still need to farm a few parts for my lagombi armorset :7

test_account

XP-39C²
I believe that both PS2 games, in addition to Tri and the Wii port of MH1G, all had online fees.
It could be that Capcom still hosted the servers, but decided to cash in extra on it. But i dont know, its just a guess from me. Just a matter of curiousity. Its good that it doesnt cost anything extra to play online in Monster Hunter 4 at least :)

Nintendo is handling the servers for Tri Ultimate (everywhere?), so it seems like there ought to be a similar arrangement with MH4.
That is possible, i was just thinking about Monster Hunter 3 for Wii, where it cost extra money to play online, and if this was because Capcom hired 3rd party servers, or if they hosted their own servers, but still charged the players for online play.

Parakeetman

Just did a little write-up of the Expedition quests. Pics at the link.

http://www.versuscity.net/2013/09/16/monster-hunter-4-expedition-quests/

Ive been seriously wasting too much time with that mode which is why Im still running around practically naked. Really need to buckle down and do the online quests instead lol. Its too bad that capturing monsters in that mode doesnt seem to net you more extra parts after the mission is over. Just more points.

Found a bunch of random stuff with a treasure room that appeared in one of the runs I did great stuff. But its insane how many monsters they will keep throwing at you, but do love that stuff. The thrill of constant fighting is what always amuses me to no end. :D

Hooooly crap. Monster Hunter Roguelike Mode.

Please, please let them consider localizing this.

Not directed at you, just the term "Roguelike" which has been thrown around far too much for its own good as of late. Its like the new buzzword that replaced "Darksouls". Not talking about here at GAF but just everywhere in general esp the "indie" scene.

Zenaku

anyone up for another all-nighter like yesterday in an hour or so?
I still need to farm a few parts for my lagombi armorset :7

Are you still farming it? Just fighting Rathian again in the story to create a fire-based charge axe, so I'd be happy to join in if there's a space.

Zenaku

I'll be there in a minute with luck. Took me 5 minutes to find the damn Rathian, and then my trap failed, it kept running, etc.

To top it off, I didn't get a the material I needed, despite getting 3 the first time around. =[

Shurayuki

Got room for a hunter here with us (Shurayuki/ Zornica/ Zenaku)

Oichi

Got room for a hunter here with us (Shurayuki/ Zornica/ Zenaku)

I'll join up if it's not full

You don't have to do them.. just practice runs for various weapons.

thought that seemed wrong. i just went and talked to the cat chef and now i get to go after some little bugs instead!

anyway this game looks like it will be great once i get past the obligatory lame grindy tutorial stuff. love the insect staff.

Oichi

Shurayuki, Zornica, Zenaku, thanks for the hunts and getting me to HR3 super fast. It was taking me 30 min to do these quests solo :p

Zenaku

Shurayuki, Zornica, Anura, Oichi, thanks for another fun hunting session. =]

Look forward to other guys getting the game too. I loved 3G (about 350 hours solo) but but I love multi in MH4.

Top Bottom