• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Famitsu review

Dunki

We know have the first Monster Hunter Review according to Gematsu,

Monster Hunter: World (PS4) – 10/10/10/9 [39/40]

Read more at https://gematsu.com/2018/01/famitsu-review-scores-issue-1519#KMYUtOAhoSIjJ8W6.99

Some highlights:
* 50-60 hours to reach the ending. Lots of replay value after that.
* Massive increase in the feeling of presence, and lots of QoL changes make it a more comfortable experience. Truly worthy of being called the next generation Monster Hunter.
* The seamless areas keep you in the action, without an interruptions.
* The pacing of the action has also been increased.
* A wide range of information, from weapon trees to monster weakpoints and parts that can be broken can now all be checked in-game, making it much easier even for new players to start the game.
* Scoutflies are revolutionary.
* The areas spread out in all directions, there's always more things to find or see.
* The story has a strong, solid through line.
* Definitely a game for cat lovers.
* It also includes systems that series' fans can dig down deeper into.

This sounds it really has a chance now in the West. I love Japanese games found their way back into the world again. And I hope this will continue^^

Osukaa

First time Monster Hunter player here, I tried the demo and I was not really getting the hang of it and the controls felt a bit confusing BUT I honestly think that I can really enjoy this game once I give it my full attention and learn all the controls and things. I sorta tried to rush through it as I wanted to just get a feel for it. I think i'm really going to enjoy this game once it releases. Great Job Capcom!

First time Monster Hunter player here

Good to hear u are willing to put the time into learning the controls, the demo definitely throws u in without much explanation.
Do not worry as players learning to grow and adapt is one of the key experiences that make the series' game play so good.

50-60 hours just to reach the ending sounds good to me as the traditional means of progressing through past games were about completing "key quests".
Assuming that was the time it took to rush just key quests, its still quite long and the game is by no means over.
There's still a bunch of normal and side quests/missions available for players to dive into especially in the post game, not to mention the introduction of seasonal events, timed-quests and post launch updates.

I still can't believe we are shy off a week til the game's release.

Last edited:

noqtic

Well the 'review' does make it sound great, but this Famitsu we're talking about.

I'm getting the game regardless but I'll temper my expectations a bit.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I've only one question - is this game always online MMO or i can play it like Souls games solo and offline if i want to?

Last edited:

PulseONE

This will be my friends and I first major dive into Monster Hunter, I'm so excited >.<

I always wanted to start the series but never got around to it properly

I've only one question - is this game always online MMO or i can play it like Souls games solo and offline if i want to?

You can choose to play Solo if you wish to my knowledge

Last edited:

Osukaa

Good to hear u are willing to put the time into learning the controls, the demo definitely throws u in without much explanation.
Do not worry as players learning to grow and adapt is one of the key experiences that make the series' game play so good.

50-60 hours just to reach the ending sounds good to me as the traditional means of progressing through past games were about completing "key quests".
Assuming that was the time it took to rush just key quests, its still quite long and the game is by no means over.
There's still a bunch of normal and side quests/missions available for players to dive into especially in the post game, not to mention the introduction of seasonal events, timed-quests and post launch updates.

I still can't believe we are shy off a week til the game's release.

wait its next week?! Jeeze I must have missed that lol I was thinking ok ill give it a go when it comes out in march or april lol well guess im starting sooner than later.

splattered

Does anyone know if the Samurai cosmetic set you get with digital deluxe can be purchased/crafted in the game still if you only get the standard edition? Trying to decide if the DLC is worth the extra cash...

Kremzeek

I've always found the controls in MH games to be clumsy and cumbersome.
I hope they really have revamped the controls.

Isn't Famitsu notoriously generous?
That's a really nice way to phrase it. Famitsu takes money for positive reviews, that's what it comes down to. For all we know Capcom execs wrote this review and gave it to them to publish, along with a fat stack of advertising dollars.

Even if you sidestep the bribery issues, Famitsu is not to be trusted for reviews.

Again, this doesn't then mean the game sucks. Their Peace Walker perfect score was blatant bribery (the head of Famitsu's publisher showed up in ads for the game, and Famitsu was in the game proper), but it's still generally considered a great game. (I personally love the HD re-release.) But in a vacuum what they say has zero credibility.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
U can play offline I'm sure, u connect to lobbies for online play. In fact they just confirmed that online isn't available without the day 1 patch.
Well, i hope i can play offline too cuz... well, i don't care all that much about co-op and multiplayer but i'll check it out for sure.

Last edited:

Salmon

Is the game still locked to small areas/rooms as the Wii version? Then it's a no-go for me. It bored the hell out of me, and I felt like I couldn't enjoy the "adventure" when all it did, was to load me between rooms alls the time. I felt stuck and annoyed in the end :confused:

Dunki

Is the game still locked to small areas/rooms as the Wii version? Then it's a no-go for me. It bored the hell out of me, and I felt like I couldn't enjoy the "adventure" when all it did, was to load me between rooms alls the time. I felt stuck and annoyed in the end :confused:
* The seamless areas keep you in the action, without an interruptions.

so no^^

Top Bottom