• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations (3DS) NA boxart (same as Japan's)

912c4RYLsLL.jpg
81G3VB6GoiL.jpg

Saw the box around but haven't seen a HQ one until now that it's been uploaded at Amazon Canada.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01CNCA5U2/

NA and JP boxes for Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate:

This is the first MH to retain the Japanese box since Monster Hunter 3 on Wii. EU did retain the box for MH4U though:

Thoughts? I'm so glad they kept it this time. I'm not the biggest fan if their western boxes of MH3U and MH4U (NA) honestly.

Eolz

Not bad. The US cover for MH4U was awful.
Hopefully EU gets a good one as well.

edit: I liked the western cover of 3U.

I love it. And I agree with you Hero of Legend about the western box art for the previous two games...wasn't a big fan of them.

Ridley327

Man, I still don't know what the hell they were thinking with the MH3U art. I could understand not using Brachydios since he's not the most photogenic of monsters, but having the hunter posing with his back turned to an advancing Azure Rathalos? Even with how ugly the MH4U art was, that was at least an action shot.

vareon

It looks good.

I don't know why they took 3U's flagship monster out of the box art, but that was leagues better than MH4U's utter lack of anything exciting in the cover.

Thank god! The last 2 NA box arts looked like lifeless photoshops of in game assets. It bothered me that they also didn't use the Mascot monster of the game for the last 2.

Dreavus

MH4U's NA boxart sucks. Seriously. Gore Magala turned out to be one of my absolute favourite monster designs and it just looks so subdued here. Show it in rage mode throwing purple frenzy blasts or something, not just sitting there looking like it's trying to ignore the guy trying to skin it while it's still alive (lol).

L Thammy

Thank God. Monster Hunter covers have such a strong identity that other games actually try to imitate them. I don't know why Capcom thought it was a good idea to replace them with those boring ones.

Well, I think for 3G, there were a lot of initial complaints about Brachydios' design. But I think that faded away when people saw Brachy in motion and realized that he was pretty much the best monster ever. And it doesn't explain 4G.

Man, I still don't know what the hell they were thinking with the MH3U art. I could understand not using Brachydios since he's not the most photogenic of monsters, but having the hunter posing with his back turned to an advancing Azure Rathalos? Even with how ugly the MH4U art was, that was at least an action shot.

I like to think that the Azure Rathalos and the hunter were having a scandalous love affair and they've just been jumped by the paparazzi.

I wish NA got black plastic cases with some games. EU got coloured ones for Pokemon alpha + omega and black for Xenoblade.

But do we seriously not have a collector's edition for MHX in the West?

Neoxon

I wish NA got black plastic cases with some games. EU got coloured ones for Pokemon alpha + omega and black for Xenoblade.

But do we seriously not have a collector's edition for MHX in the West?
Maybe for the NX Platform.

Either way, awesome box art.

Syril

Thank God. Monster Hunter covers have such a strong identity that other games actually try to imitate them. I don't know why Capcom thought it was a good idea to replace them with those boring ones.

Well, I think for 3G, there were a lot of initial complaints about Brachydios' design. But I think that faded away when people saw Brachy in motion and realized that he was pretty much the best monster ever. And it doesn't explain 4G.

I think with 4U they wanted to have Gore Magala front and center since he was MH4's mascot and was practically the villain in most of the story mode, compared to in Japan where players were already familiar with him from original MH4 and Seregios was 4G's big new addition. They even set 4U to play MH4's opening movie on startup and put the 4G opening in the gallery instead. I think they also wanted the box art to show multiplayer, and unfortunately there weren't any renders of multiple hunters fighting Gore Magala. This is MH4's box art in comparison:

For MHX they're not jumping straight to a G version and the box art already has multiple hunters fighting on it, so they probably didn't see the need to change anything.

Dingens

Hey now, EU got the good 4U.

Honestly the 3U was changed because Brachydios has a penis head.

With a term as stupid and undefined as "the west", you never know if doesn't just refer to NA like in this case. (because sometimes it seems to)
But yeah, I'm glad we didn't get the awful NA cover... would've prefered the MH4 vanilla cover though...

baconcow

The NA 3U boxart is my favourite, followed by the Monster Hunter X/Generations boxart. I find the Japan 3G boxart messy and I don't like the colours. The NA 4U boxart was bad.

Kinsei

Banned
Hey now, EU got the good 4U.

Honestly the 3U was changed because Brachydios has a penis head.

With a term as stupid and undefined as "the west", you never know if doesn't just refer to NA like in this case. (because sometimes it seems to)
But yeah, I'm glad we didn't get the awful NA cover... would've prefered the MH4 vanilla cover though...

I was referring to both NA and EU. I had no clue that Europe go the good 4U cover.

Honestly, the art itself of MH3U's western box is actually really well done, especially of the Azure Rathalos. Problem is, the whole theme of it and direction is pretty odd in context and just doesn't work.

Top Bottom