• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter, Japan and the Switch - What's going on?

Will there be a Monster Hunter-game for Switch in 2018?

• Yes

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • No

Votes: 21 36.8%
  • In 2019

Votes: 16 28.1%
  • Never

Votes: 9 15.8%

• Total voters

MarcelDG88

Neo Member
I don't see switch getting MH this gen. Plus capcom have lost their damn minds

I do see capcom doing it, i mean they have 2 capcom teams and the second team isnt credited in world. That leads me to believe that the second team led by Yasunori Ichinose is working on his monster hunter title since 2016(after the completion of X/generations). If it is a switch exclusive and if it still after the success of world remains to be seen. And i really doubt that Yasunori Ichinose's team would be a DLC team, capcom needs a steady flow of monster hunter games. MonsterHunter is pretty much capcoms live support, and it has been for years.

I mean World has been phenomenal in worldwide sales but if you only look at japan, it had a sharp drop off and it still hasnt beaten the best selling mh game in japan, that honor still goes to MHp3rd and if im not mistaken 3 or 4 follows after that.

staen

I have played BoTW to completion. And I have nearly platinum ed MHW. So I can speak with authority on both. I am pretty sure you can't say the same otherwise you would not be port begging.

No, you can't. Adam Boyes (CEO of the devs that did the Switch Skyrim port) tweeted to Capcom offering their services to port MHW to Switch. At least one game developer out there thinks it's possible, not just someone who played 2 video games and pretends they have a comprehensive understanding of how game development works.

They can make a side series for Switch users that also appears on PS4, XONE and PC, but they need something AAA like MH World in order to compete against other current gen home console games. So that means its more likely you see something on Switch that is on PS4, then the other way around, as Capcom needs to max those systems out, not try to nerf or downgrade to get to the Switch or Wii U level JUST to have a Switch version. What about those that bought MH for PS4 and XONE? Why should they get a last gen looking game JUST to get a Switch version all in the name of "Japan" sales? Lol don't you think thats rather a bit silly?

Why would a new entry made for handhelds also need to appear on PS4/XONE/PC?

No reason to get upset. You asked, it was answered.
The post he was responding to was clearly hyperbolic, inaccurate and meant to provoke Nintendo fans. Given the way the thread was going, I think it was understandable why he was upset.

I don't see what the problem is here. They have traded 2 million Japanese players for 5 million Western players. That's a win in my book.
That still leaves the discussion of whether the Switch will get any MH title at all, which is what the thread is about. As already mentioned, there's no reason there can't be both a home console/portable version. There are already two different teams for it and separate entries have already existed in the past. They technically already coexist in Japan with MHXX and MHW.

I think that it will be very weird to have Monster Hunter Portable X for Switch, and Monster Hunter World for other consoles. Capcom pushed so hard for World be a success and have two entries of the same franchise with different names, could be a problem even if the game have different mechanics.

Imagine if they release a old style Monster Hunter for Switch, without the "QOL" improvements they did on World. The game will be sent to die. This is a very complex topic, several things to analyse, but consider how Capcom is today, and how successful World was /is, I think that they will stick with the game on other consoles and PC for a while and when the game start to not generate any profit,they might consider bring it on Switch. But this will take a while.

One thing I really don't understand is, people world and after that, started saying bad things about the other games of the series released for 3DS, like the games were horrible, unplayable and something like that, 4 and X, I played a lot and the improvements there were great to the series. I haven't played world, and I don't plan to do so, but as of now I still have a hard time to identify all the great innovations the game have.

I think if they did call it MH Portable for Switch, it would make it easy for consumers to distinguish between the main and spinoff series but I don't think they'll use portable in the title since the Switch is advertised as both a home/portable system. I don't think the title is that big of an issue though. It's not like MHW is the first MH game in the west.

I could see the differences in mechanics and features being an issue. I think it would be kind of nice to have both oldstyle MH and newer MH, but I'm not sure how audiences would react to that,especially those introduced to MH through MHW.

Yagami_Sama

That's a good point. If they release, for example, Monster Hunter world Portable for Nintendo Switch, a lot of people will complain about that, because it may sound like thy are "killing" all the glorious stuff they did on World for traditional home console, in order to fit the game on a Switch cartridge and made the game run on that console. In the west people laugh, in Japan will sell well, because is Monster Hunter, and I do think that game is targeting the west now, actually "Make the game appealing to the west" became a damage control for several publisher on Japan, like Square did with Dragon Quest XI, this is besides de point, but when I read that for the first time, I thought that they would change the name of the game, like call it just Dragon Quest, without the number or something like that.

Even calling Monster Hunter World, instead of 5, was a good move for Capcom. We always have question here, asking if it will be okay for the person to start playing the Nth entry in the series, if they have not played the others.

And if one day Capcom release Monster Hunter 5, for Switch, the chaos it will cause on the internet will be unrecoverable, like if they announced Monster Hunter : Stories for Switch, digital only at E3 or at a Nintendo Direct, the commotion, hate will be above 9000.

Capcom needs to think this very carefully, or people will remember that, until months ago they hate the company.

No, you can't. Adam Boyes (CEO of the devs that did the Switch Skyrim port) tweeted to Capcom offering their services to port MHW to Switch. At least one game developer out there thinks it's possible, not just someone who played 2 video games and pretends they have a comprehensive understanding of how game development works.

Skyrim is a Last Gen game. A game designed for systems with 512MB total ram. Even less actually usable. Switch has exactly 4x more RAM than PS3/360. Notice that we are getting tons of ports from last gen on Switch. But the number of successful current gen ports are few and far between.

And of course Adam would say that. He would say anything to make a sale.

And I never even said there would be no port of MHW. I already said I think it may happen in my first post in this thread. What I said was we should expect major caveats in a down port. Changes that will be big enough impact to the game play.

This is coming from someone who bought both MHTri for Wii and MH3rd for PSP. So I have a lot of experience with MH games and their down ports. And I am not a Sony platform only owner. MH 3rd for PSP was significantly changed from the original Wii game (The platform the engine was designed for). To the point that I would call it not the same game anymore. It was still decent for a PSP game. But it took significant cuts to the graphics and the the maps themselves were scaled back. Entire zones were cut out of the maps. And the parts the environment as well as monsters that ported over often did not feel like the same game anymore due to loss of fidelity. And having already played MH Tri to completion on Wii, the cuts to the PSP version very strongly stood out and hurt my enjoyment of that PSP down port.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Why would a new entry made for handhelds also need to appear on PS4/XONE/PC?

The post he was responding to was clearly hyperbolic, inaccurate and meant to provoke Nintendo fans. Given the way the thread was going, I think it was understandable why he was upset.

That still leaves the discussion of whether the Switch will get any MH title at all, which is what the thread is about. As already mentioned, there's no reason there can't be both a home console/portable version. There are already two different teams for it and separate entries have already existed in the past. They technically already coexist in Japan with MHXX and MHW.

I think if they did call it MH Portable for Switch, it would make it easy for consumers to distinguish between the main and spinoff series but I don't think they'll use portable in the title since the Switch is advertised as both a home/portable system. I don't think the title is that big of an issue though. It's not like MHW is the first MH game in the west.

I could see the differences in mechanics and features being an issue. I think it would be kind of nice to have both oldstyle MH and newer MH, but I'm not sure how audiences would react to that,especially those introduced to MH through MHW.

"Why would a new entry made for handhelds also need to appear on PS4/XONE/PC? "

Because if it exist on handhelds, it can exist on PS4, XONE and PC, why would they want less money on a series that has just proven to have a market on PC, PS4 and XONE as well? They have nothing to gain keeping it on Switch...

I see zero reason to not make the Switch version on PC, PS4 and XONE, especially with you literally arguing for MHW to be on Switch, yet on the same post question why a Switch version would be on other systems. Skyrim as an example doesn't even make any sense, that is also a last generation title.....

staen

Skyrim is a Last Gen game. A game designed for systems with 512MB total ram. Even less actually usable. Switch has exactly 4x more RAM than PS3/360. Notice that we are getting tons of ports from last gen on Switch. But the number of successful current gen ports are few and far between.

And of course Adam would say that. He would say anything to make a sale.

And I never even said there would be no port of MHW. I already said I think it may happen in my first post in this thread. What I said was we should expect major caveats in a down port. Changes that will be big enough impact to the game play.

This is coming from someone who bought both MHTri for Wii and MH3rd for PSP. So I have a lot of experience with MH games and their down ports. And I am not a Sony platform only owner. MH 3rd for PSP was significantly changed from the original Wii game (The platform the engine was designed for). To the point that I would call it not the same game anymore. It was still decent for a PSP game. But it took significant cuts to the graphics and the the maps themselves were scaled back. Entire zones were cut out of the maps. And the parts the environment as well as monsters that ported over often did not feel like the same game anymore due to loss of fidelity. And having already played MH Tri to completion on Wii, the cuts to the PSP version very strongly stood out and hurt my enjoyment of that PSP down port.

I was simply pointing out who he was, not that a Skyrim port is an indication of anything.

I'm sure there would be significant downgrades to MHW if they bother with a port at all, and I understand because past instances of portable versions may have felt too significant of a downgrade for you, that you believe this current situation will mirror the past. I don't think Wii to PSP and PS4/XBO to Switch is 100% analogous though and I wouldn't pretend to have the technical knowledge to determine with authority whether something is possible or not just because I've played a few games.

"Why would a new entry made for handhelds also need to appear on PS4/XONE/PC? "

Because if it exist on handhelds, it can exist on PS4, XONE and PC, why would they want less money on a series that has just proven to have a market on PC, PS4 and XONE as well? They have nothing to gain keeping it on Switch...

I see zero reason to not make the Switch version on PC, PS4 and XONE, especially with you literally arguing for MHW to be on Switch, yet on the same post question why a Switch version would be on other systems. Skyrim as an example doesn't even make any sense, that is also a last generation title.....

Where did I literally argue for MHW to be on Switch? Are you confusing me for someone else? Also your logic is that if a handheld version exists, it should always be ported to home consoles?

bufkus

lol @ people thinking hardware limitations is the reason the latest MH won't come to Switch. They will obviously find a way, given that the Switch is huge in Japan. It doesn't mean it'll come out this year, but eventually. I mean there's already a MH port on the Switch.

EDMIX

I was simply pointing out who he was, not that a Skyrim port is an indication of anything.

I'm sure there would be significant downgrades to MHW if they bother with a port at all, and I understand because past instances of portable versions may have felt too significant of a downgrade for you, that you believe this current situation will mirror the past. I don't think Wii to PSP and PS4/XBO to Switch is 100% analogous though and I wouldn't pretend to have the technical knowledge to determine with authority whether something is possible or not just because I've played a few games.

Where did I literally argue for MHW to be on Switch? Are you confusing me for someone else? Also your logic is that if a handheld version exists, it should always be ported to home consoles?

" Also your logic is that if a handheld version exists, it should always be ported to home consoles? "

Because it can always be ported to home consoles. MHW just proved massive install base exist who will buy MH games, thus they benefit nothing keeping it on handheld.

Where as they can't port something like MHW as you know not of how much it was made from the ground up for PS4 and XONE, for all we know the 8 gigs of ram in those systems is the core of the game and it can't be made without em. ie Arkham Knight not being on Wii U. It wasn't just a "downgrade" and it can work thing, it was they NEED the ram to FUNCTIONALLY make the game work.

http://nintendotoday.com/wii-u-arkham-knight/

Top Bottom