• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Online (Capcom/Tencent, CryEngine 3) officially announced

I wish we could finally get a real Monster unter with such good graphics. This kinda depresses me.

Never gonna happen. Why should they? They can make a game as ugly as MH4 and fanboys still say it looks amazing. I love MH and I'm sure MH4 will be very fun to play but why can't people accept that it looks like turd?

hopefully this stays in China

the real Monster Hunter team reading this thread would see the bunch of you guys as traitors to the series MH3U is my first experience that game is fun as hell but give you guys a little technical graphics by a copy cat team and you are ready to turn your backs on those guys smh

I am not even a long time fan of this game and I feel really bitter about the bunch of yous lol
Most of the people salivating over this haven't played MH before and are only interested because it's "finally evolved beyond PS2 assets and no longer gimped by Nintendo online" so I don't know how much betrayal-ton is involved. Different audience and all.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Finally a Monster Hunter game that look good visually.

but gameplay wise let hope it's not as boring and outdated as the other MonHun

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Never gonna happen. Why should they? They can make a game as ugly as MH4 and fanboys still say it looks amazing. I love MH and I'm sure MH4 will be very fun to play but why can't people accept that it looks like turd?

Because it doesnt, given the specs that are available to the dev team.

MGS 1 and vagrant story still look amazing, same with many NES and SNES games. Good art and good art direction is not tied with how many polygons and shaders your system can push.

Syril

Because I value art and animation over technicals and am willing to accept deficiencies in the latter if I like the former.

Apenheul

Well I seriously think MH4 looks amazing, but that might as well have to do with me knowing one of the concept artists and recognizing her work in the game.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Outsourcing development?

Color me skeptical. (That this will be successful.) Why couldn't Capcom have done it themselves? Monhun seems kind of like an important property to just outsource like that.

Here's my non-gaming journalist, not-japanese-expert (I can't declare if they shot themselves on the foot or not), not really a Monster Hunter player opinion:

Monster Hunter is a series made for Japan (that's why we had a PSP one and a 3DS one now). Japan doesn't care about PC Gaming, it's not something they are used to.

I'd go out on a limb and say that the American Market is not a big part of the Monster Hunter sales. That's mostly Capcom's fault, as they don't release the games down here and when they do, they don't try to explain it to people that have not been playing the game for the past 7 years. In other words, Capcom doesn't care enough to waste resources on a PC version of Monster Hunter for the US market.

China, on the other hand, is a huge market that loves their Free PC games. But since Capcom doesn't really see the advantage of releasing a PC Version of Monster Hunter in the US, they can't be bothered to make a F2P, China-Only version of the game. That's why they outsource it. Since it's outsourced, it's probably cheap, and if it's cheap it's probably not up to standards. The size of the potential market alone is enough to outsource it and release as some F2P crazy thing that only works in China (and that's why it will never leave China).

They tried to release an outsourced chinese PC version of Monster Hunter on the 360 in Japan (probably because the 360 has a bigger market than the PC there) and that didn't work out. If it didn't work on their biggest market, they're not going to try it in the US.

Mondriaan

the real Monster Hunter team reading this thread would see the bunch of you guys as traitors to the series
MH3U is my first experience that game is fun as hell but give you guys a little technical graphics by a copy cat team and you are ready to turn your backs on those guys smh

I am not even a long time fan of this game and I feel really bitter about the bunch of yous lol
You can't be a real Monster Hunter fan if you want any Monster Hunter game to stay locked to a region. Never mind the fact that you waited until MH3U to try MH.

China, on the other hand, is a huge market that loves their Free PC games. But since Capcom doesn't really see the advantage of releasing a PC Version of Monster Hunter in the US, they can't be bothered to make a F2P, China-Only version of the game. That's why they outsource it. Since it's outsourced, it's probably cheap, and if it's cheap it's probably not up to standards.

Just a question.

Did you play any of the recent Tencent-MMOs in China? I guess not. I see some people in the thread here already dismissing the Game, because it is developed by a chinese company.

I played some of the Tencent-Games when I was in China like XD QQ (KoF Ripoff) and some MMO set in the ancient China and they were, at least in my opinion, really good.

MGS 1 and vagrant story still look amazing, same with many NES and SNES games. Good art and good art direction is not tied with how many polygons and shaders your system can push.

This kind of thinking is what holds the series back. Sure art direction makes a game look amazing but better polygons and textures will make it looks even better. Capcom knows they can make it look better but they don't have to do because there's no demand for it. This is like saying FF shouldn't have evolved graphically from SNES series because those seriously have the best art style.

What are the odds this is PC only? Considering consoles are banned in China, this seems very likely. Or is Capcom involved in the development?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
The fact that most of the excitement in this thread seems to be related to graphics and nothing else really says it all.

SkyOdin

There's a trailer in the OP.

THanks, I missed that somehow.

Yeah, after watching the trailer, I am still not really feeling the look of this game. Like in a lot of modern HD games, the textures on living creatures and monsters just don't look right. As a result, the monsters look like stuffed taxidermy models moving around. The color isn't quite as vibrant as in Monster Hunter 3, either.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

the real Monster Hunter team reading this thread would see the bunch of you guys as traitors to the series
MH3U is my first experience that game is fun as hell but give you guys a little technical graphics by a copy cat team and you are ready to turn your backs on those guys smh

tumblr_ml9fcvTq9m1s7gnr1o1_400.gif

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Just a question.

Did you play any of the recent Tencent-MMOs in China? I guess not. I see some people in the thread here already dismissing the Game, because it is developed by a chinese company.

As I stated on the start of my message, no, I'm not really qualified in any aspect of this to make a proper assertion. I did it anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I would play it if it came out in a language I can read. I'd be more worried about the micro-transaction aspect of the game (as it's Free2Play) than the actual gameplay, animations or Sound Effects (really, people?). I also don't believe the game would be on par with a game created by the monster hunter team (whoever that is).

I still think it won't come out here though.

This looks a bit shady and ghetto.

Is it really official? Where's the Capcom PR?

It's strange right? It looks big and low budget at the same time, in different ways. But I am so excited to see a Monster Hunter game free from Nintendo hardware specs.. at the same time this doesn't come close to fulfilling the potential of a true next-gen MH. I bet it still has zones even.

It does seem kind of shady but I really want this to hit NA. I could do very well here. People that livestream and show people how to the play the game would do wonders for MH.

Too bad that isn't always true. I find the MH series, visually, atrocious. But hey, opinions and what not.

Durante

The fact that most of the excitement in this thread seems to be related to graphics and nothing else really says it all.
That's a strange implication to make, considering that none of us have played the game. As such, the graphics are the only thing you can really comment on. It's the same in every screenshot thread.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
That's a strange implication to make, considering that none of us have played the game. As such, the graphics are the only thing you can really comment on. It's the same in every screenshot thread.

It's either talk about the graphics (which is what we're doing, because it's the only thing we've seen) or complaining about the gameplay feel from videos and say the game is bad because it's made in china (which is all crazy to me, but we're also doing).

If you really love MH, you should know that MH is not just graphics.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
This kind of thinking is what holds the series back. Sure art direction makes a game look amazing but better polygons and textures will make it looks even better. Capcom knows they can make it look better but they don't have to do because there's no demand for it. This is like saying FF shouldn't have evolved graphically from SNES series because those seriously have the best art style.

What the hell is a better polygon? I get the gist of your argument, but when you make up things that dont exist its hard to take your opinion seriously.

Do I WANT a MonHan game that lives up to its concept art? Of course I do, but I also enjoy things for what they are, as it is, MH3U looks amazing on the 3DS.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Watched the trailer, this definitely seems like something I could play even though I've never really stuck with MMO's before. Some of the animations do seem off, though. Like the GS dude blocked Ian's fire ball but didn't get knocked backwards? I hope that was just for the trailer. The character art is also... well, not right. Seems out of place for the series and oddly reminds me of those really bad Asian H-games (not that I've ever tried any...)

What the hell is a better polygon? I get the gist of your argument, but when you make up things that dont exist its hard to take your opinion seriously.

Do I WANT a MonHan game that lives up to its concept art? Of course I do, but I also enjoy things for what they are, as it is, MH3U looks amazing on the 3DS.

Sure a game can be fun without pretty visuals but better graphics don't make a game worse either. It can make a game more realistic and immersive. I will sure enjoy the shit out of any up coming MH but I wouldn't hide my desire to play a HD looking MH.

wildfire

Banned
Outsourcing development?

Color me skeptical. (That this will be successful.) Why couldn't Capcom have done it themselves? Monhun seems kind of like an important property to just outsource like that.

Foreigners trying to do business in China face significant political barriers. You partner with a domestic company or go home.
Here's my non-gaming journalist, not-japanese-expert (I can't declare if they shot themselves on the foot or not), not really a Monster Hunter player opinion:

Monster Hunter is a series made for Japan (that's why we had a PSP one and a 3DS one now). Japan doesn't care about PC Gaming, it's not something they are used to.

I'd go out on a limb and say that the American Market is not a big part of the Monster Hunter sales. That's mostly Capcom's fault, as they don't release the games down here and when they do, they don't try to explain it to people that have not been playing the game for the past 7 years. In other words, Capcom doesn't care enough to waste resources on a PC version of Monster Hunter for the US market.

I find part of this assertion to be questionable. When it comes to Japanese devs Capcom ports a lot of games for the PC. So if they saw value in releasing MH on the PC they would.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Are Tencent games good? "Chinese MMO company" scares me. Really any "MMO company" listed as the developer at this point is grounds for me getting worried. That genre has been in a really bad place for years and veered off into a direction that I cannot enjoy, to the point that even the games that target many of the issues like Guild Wars 2 are still packed to the gills with shit I do not enjoy experiencing.

But I don't want to be a shithead about this. Are their games good? Or at least do they seem to have the potential to get this right? Because I'm at the point where I'm fully prepared to play clones of this game if they're decent, especially if Capcom is going to make us wait forever for MH4.

MH3U looks so fun but I'm just going to get frustrated not having anybody to play it with, especially having two friends who are into it but across the country from me.

You know MH3U is online right?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Probably worth actually posting these images in the thread to show actual in-game:

fW1Ra.jpg

WhR8g.jpg

And that was from July last year and the brief MONHUN VITA REVEALED hoax.

Top Bottom