• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Rise |OT| A Whole New World

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Never tried the light version?!
I tried it for this demo a few times. It's definitely a little more similar to bow in terms of mobility.

I guess I'm going to try and challenge myself to play a new playstyle. I did Charge Blade for MH4, and Bow for MHW.

Heavy Bowgun always seemed intimidating, but I'm going to go for it. It's fun to just land huge damage shots and use heavy armor.

GymWolf

I tried it for this demo a few times. It's definitely a little more similar to bow in terms of mobility.

I guess I'm going to try and challenge myself to play a new playstyle. I did Charge Blade for MH4, and Bow for MHW.

Heavy Bowgun always seemed intimidating, but I'm going to go for it. It's fun to just land huge damage shots and use heavy armor.
I always wanted to try hbg in world but the KOs on monsters look graphically disconnected with a ranged weapon (for lack of better words), you don't feel that direct contact and oompf when you hit something.

The only ranged attack with some ooompf was the special attack of the bow.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I always wanted to try hbg in world but the KOs on monsters look graphically disconnected with a ranged weapon (for lack of better words), you don't feel that direct contact and oompf when you hit something.
That's true for all ranged weapons. Definitely doesn't have the visceral impact of a melee weapon. But if you wanted to feel the hits, HBG has the most firepower out of all of them. It does feel pretty cool when you land continuous machine gun fire for heavy damage, or use the pierce shots to hit throughout their whole body, or get up close to their face when they're down and use the shotgun-style spread ammo. Cluster Bombs are fun too.

I'm into it, and it's new to me so it's fun.

GymWolf

That's true for all ranged weapons. Definitely doesn't have the visceral impact of a melee weapon. But if you wanted to feel the hits, HBG has the most firepower out of all of them. It does feel pretty cool when you land continuous machine gun fire for heavy damage, or use the pierce shots to hit throughout their whole body, or get up close to their face when they're down and use the shotgun-style spread ammo. Cluster Bombs are fun too.

I'm into it, and it's new to me so it's fun.
Oh yeah, i forgot that the heavy one has the same special attack of bow and gunlance...but still, it doesn't feel quite as impactful as a melee weapon imo.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I really want to like this game. Playing this demo after the 4U, and world demos that I didn't care for, I like the environment and music.

The intermediate dragon with the bubbles is wrecking me hard though.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Dang, just watched the GaijinHunter HBG video. It apparently has auto-guard on anytime you're not firing, which is completely nuts. Turns you into a walking tank. And the melee hit does significant knock-out damage if you want to just get up close and bash them in the head when they're down. And you have sidesteps built in after any shot. And you are supposed to have a quick-sheathe off the wirebug dash.

Sounds like this weapon is a complete beast.

GymWolf

Dang, just watched the GaijinHunter HBG video. It apparently has auto-guard on anytime you're not firing, which is completely nuts. Turns you into a walking tank. And the melee hit does significant knock-out damage if you want to just get up close and bash them in the head when they're down. And you have sidesteps built in after any shot. And you are supposed to have a quick-sheathe off the wirebug dash.

Auto-guard sounds broken lol.

JTCx

The auto guard is a carry over mechanic from world.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
What a pussy, you are not into the danger zone with a weapon like hbw...(says the ex lance and bow user)

Woooooooooot! Lance main spotted!

the man who killed don quixote GIF

I think I'm going to try a new weapon this time instead of Bow.

I am officiallyyyyyyyy a Heavy Bowgun main with gyro on for this game.

Run Away Nuclear Bomb GIF by Identity

What it feels to play HBG:

200.gif

Nixonomics

What is that?! Like raw meat on a spit roast and some fried stamina beetles?!

Just slightly more carnivorous than my usual meals. Got some big ass steaks, some wings, some chicken breasts, beef jerky. Need to make another trip to get some pork tomahawks though - something about holding a cut of meat by the bone just feels good.
You got me thinking about the bugs though - might need to make some dirt pudding with some "wiggly litchi" thrown on top. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

GymWolf

Just slightly more carnivorous than my usual meals. Got some big ass steaks, some wings, some chicken breasts, beef jerky. Need to make another trip to get some pork tomahawks though - something about holding a cut of meat by the bone just feels good.
You got me thinking about the bugs though - might need to make some dirt pudding with some "wiggly litchi" thrown on top. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
oh a meat lover, a man of fine taste i see...

i have some slightly roasted and spicy boar jerky on my own for ufc on saturday 🕺

Last edited:

Belmonte

What a pussy, you are not into the danger zone with a weapon like hbw...(says the ex lance and bow user)

I don't know about coop but Heavy Bow Gun solo is very hard against fast, aggressive monsters ! My main weapon is Long Sword with Great Sword and Dual Blades as sub weapons but I use HBG when I want some ranged combat. It is awesome.

GymWolf

I don't know about coop but Heavy Bow Gun solo is very hard against fast, aggressive monsters ! My main weapon is Long Sword with Great Sword and Dual Blades as sub weapons but I use HBG when I want some ranged combat. It is awesome.
I was joking, i'm the last one who can talk about being a pussy as an ex lance\bow user :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Raven117

We have a read yet on the S-tier weapons?

Been a Long Sword main since Tri, but thinking I may want to branch out (but want to remain super effective). Any suggestions?

Pejo

We have a read yet on the S-tier weapons?

Been a Long Sword main since Tri, but thinking I may want to branch out (but want to remain super effective). Any suggestions?
Longsword has the quickest kill times by quite a bit in the demo, all that could change when we see how elemental builds fare this time. Usually HBG/DB are effective if you just care about damage. Horn is apparently a lot of fun and very powerful now, I haven't tried it much yet.

yo, monster hunters. I tried to play a couple of the games, I think most recently on the wiiU. I couldn't stand how slow your character responds and how much wind-up is on their attacks in combat....has that changed by this game?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
yo, monster hunters. I tried to play a couple of the games, I think most recently on the wiiU. I couldn't stand how slow your character responds and how much wind-up is on their attacks in combat....has that changed by this game?
Nope, it's part of the fun. There's no quick button mashing here, you have to learn the combos and use them at the right time while also being at the right position.

Which weapons did you try? Some are faster than others.

Nope, it's part of the fun. There's no quick button mashing here, you have to learn the combos and use them at the right time while also being at the right position.

Which weapons did you try? Some are faster than others.
Still unresponsive huh. Um I don't really remember weapons that well but I'm sure there was like a gun and a sword and an axe (or maybe a hammer) that I tried.

I just heard there's a variety of QoL improvements and wondered if that might be one of them. But if the game moves the same way, that's all I need to know.

I'm out - you guys enjoy

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
yo, monster hunters. I tried to play a couple of the games, I think most recently on the wiiU. I couldn't stand how slow your character responds and how much wind-up is on their attacks in combat....has that changed by this game?tely h

OG monster hunter definitely had a sluggish feeling but that got fixed in monster hunter world when they rebuilt the game from the ground up.

However, attack wind up still exists and it depends on the weapon. There's two fastish weapons, the dual daggers and the sword and shield. You might wanna look at footage online of those two weapons and see if they're fast enough for your taste. In any case, monster hunter never was and never will be a button masher - so keep that in mind.

If you're undecided and don't wanna commit the 50 bucks for rise, I'm sure you can find monster hunter world dirt cheap these days just to have a taste of what modern monhun is like.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Well that's part of core gameplay, knowing Monster's attack patterns and knowing the opening is what MH is all about.

Still unresponsive huh. Um I don't really remember weapons that well but I'm sure there was like a gun and a sword and an axe (or maybe a hammer) that I tried.

I just heard there's a variety of QoL improvements and wondered if that might be one of them. But if the game moves the same way, that's all I need to know.

I'm out - you guys enjoy

Have you played Bloodborne? In that game, you get an option of beginning weapons: Threaded Cane (fast-low dam), Saw Cleaver (balanced), and Hunter Axe (slow-high dam). All of these are viable choices and depend on your playstyle preference, whether you want quickdraw quickhit weapons, or slow draw slow windup ones.

Weapons like the Greatsword and Hammer are slow and heavy-hitting. The Heavy Bowgun also slows you down a lot. Other weapons are fast, like the Longsword, Sword and Shield, and Dual Blades. A Light Bowgun also allows you to move faster.

I strongly recommend downloading the demo and trying out some of the faster weapons or at least watching some videos and deciding based on that how you feel about it! Monhun is known for its drastically different feel of weapons. Mastering one doesn't make you any good at another. I played one game for 600 hours and was back to square 1 when I tried out a Lance for the first time because it felt so different. This is one of the things that gives the game immense depth.

One key difference in this game is that you can use your 'wirebug' (grapplehook) to pull yourself out of a knockback when you get hit by a monster. This means you aren't trapped in a slow animation of falling prone and then getting back up. You can also move while using items.

Have you played Bloodborne? In that game, you get an option of beginning weapons: Threaded Cane (fast-low dam), Saw Cleaver (balanced), and Hunter Axe (slow-high dam). All of these are viable choices and depend on your playstyle preference, whether you want quickdraw quickhit weapons, or slow draw slow windup ones.

Weapons like the Greatsword and Hammer are slow and heavy-hitting. The Heavy Bowgun also slows you down a lot. Other weapons are fast, like the Longsword, Sword and Shield, and Dual Blades. A Light Bowgun also allows you to move faster.

I strongly recommend downloading the demo and trying out some of the faster weapons or at least watching some videos and deciding based on that how you feel about it! Monhun is known for its drastically different feel of weapons. Mastering one doesn't make you any good at another. I played one game for 600 hours and was back to square 1 when I tried out a Lance for the first time because it felt so different. This is one of the things that gives the game immense depth.

One key difference in this game is that you can use your 'wirebug' (grapplehook) to pull yourself out of a knockback when you get hit by a monster. This means you aren't trapped in a slow animation of falling prone and then getting back up. You can also move while using items.
I've platinumed Bloodborne. It has responsive mechanics and minimal input lag. I used heavy and light weapons and their many transformations during my multiple playthroughs. I can say assertively that the combat is fluid and responsive, and that reactions are part of its fast paced action. The old monster hunter games I played do not feel anything like Bloodborne's combat, and other people who answered me said that mechanics of combat are generally like the previous Mohun games and that is all part of the fun.

It's okay if we like different things. Monster hunter is just not for me... Unless the combat has the fluidity of bloodborne now?

Top Bottom