• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Stories |OT| Pi-Khezu, I Choose You!

nubbe

It seems like monster do their primary attack until they use an ability, after that they use a different attack once or continuously

depward

Bought this to support MonHun in the West.

Prob is I'm knee-deep in XXNS and don't want to stop playing. I'll prob shelve this until I'm burnt out on it.

Alric

Did anyone who received their game from Amazon get their pre-order bonus yet? It didn't come in the package, or in a separate email yet.

Shikoba

Nice OT! I've been looking forward to this one! Now I just need to pull myself away from Destiny 2 to play it. It will probably be what I play settling into bed. Or maybe early morning since it has a Saturday Morning Cartoon vibe. The demo was fantastic!

Kadin

I feel like an idiot because the combat system isn't clicking with me. During the tutorial it said to watch out and look for signs from the monster I'm fighting on how to best counter it. I'm not seeing this and all I see is just a red line extending from them. Am I simply taking a guess as to what they'll do and hoping to pick correctly with the proper counter? It's like 50/50 on if I choose right. Only in the very beginning of the game so I figure I missed something.

Oh and I read the info in the OP but I'm still fuzzy on how to pick properly, let alone do a combo.

Kinsei

Banned
I feel like an idiot because the combat system isn't clicking with me. During the tutorial it said to watch out and look for signs from the monster I'm fighting on how to best counter it. I'm not seeing this and all I see is just a red line extending from them. Am I simply taking a guess as to what they'll do and hoping to pick correctly with the proper counter? It's like 50/50 on if I choose right. Only in the very beginning of the game so I figure I missed something.

Oh and I read the info in the OP but I'm still fuzzy on how to pick properly, let alone do a combo.

You learn by fighting the monster and seeing what moves it likes to use. For example Velociprey really like to use speed attacks.

Kadin

You learn by fighting the monster and seeing what moves it likes to use. For example Velociprey really like to use speed attacks.
Ah okay, so it's more about seeing them and memorizing patterns? I was expecting some type of visual clue to tip me off. I guess that's fine although seems like it could become hard to remember if there's a lot of unique monsters to fight.

BooJoh

Ah okay, so it's more about seeing them and memorizing patterns? I was expecting some type of visual clue to tip me off. I guess that's fine although seems like it could become hard to remember if there's a lot of unique monsters to fight.

A lot of times as you enter combat Navirou will give a hint like "this one is fast" or "they use powerful attacks" and that should indicate their preference. They don't use their preference 100% of the time, but they often do.

Also when picking a target if it's targeting you (the rider) then there will be a red eye icon in its icon. A red line means it's using a standard Power/Speed/Tech attack and that its target is also targeting it, resulting in a Head-to-Head. If it's not a Head-to-Head, then the triangle system doesn't matter much and that's a good time to use special attacks or just wail on it.

Dragoshi1

Shame I can't use them, but WOW. Found their eggs in gold dens right outside the main city.
WVW69koK_8AT9DMJFC

WVW69koK_jY2XkjnhE

ggx2ac

Oh okay, got a better costume for Navirou for having Monster Hunter Generations data compared to the MHS demo. (Hellblade costume)

redcrayon

OK, so I've got a queuropeco from a DLC code. His ride ability is 'press B to mimic Monster calls and summon a monster to fight', but when I press B nothing happens. Do I need to be standing in a specific spot, or does it not work in the opening areas?

Just found a Zamtrios, another of my favourites. Really enjoying this so far.

nubbe

It works something like this...
Monster do their primary attack until they use an ability, after that they use a different attack once or continuously

gBJEW3q.jpg

redcrayon

It works something like this...
Monster do their primary attack until they use an ability, after that they use a different attack once or continuously

gBJEW3q.jpg
Some of them seem to have a pattern of primary/primary/secondary too, or am I just seeing what I want to see there?

ggx2ac

PhoenixSFT, I had to revise my post that gave tips.

The combo system isn't as versatile as I thought it was in the demo, if I had seen the rider's notes beforehand it would have made more sense.

If you could remove in the OP what I crossed out in post #6, and replace it with the following:

The Rider's notes in-game tells you the weapon combos, here are the combos:

DJQwQdwUEAA7f0j.jpg

DJQwQwxWAAAhUBp.jpg

DJQwRF2VwAEMD1X.jpg

DJQwRXzVYAADCrM.jpg

ggx2ac

Forgot that the ability Monster Search (Yian Kut Ku has it for example) is pretty useful for finding materials on the map other than monsters. I'm lacking a lot of bugs so it would be useful.

Edit: Oh hold on a minute. That isn't how it's working. Monster Search should only be showing monsters but it's also showing plants and honey, it seems that having other monster in your party with their abilities (Plant Search and Honey Search) adds to the Monstie's search ability you use.

BooJoh

Forgot that the ability Monster Search (Yian Kut Ku has it for example) is pretty useful for finding materials on the map other than monsters. I'm lacking a lot of bugs so it would be useful.

Edit: Oh hold on a minute. That isn't how it's working. Monster Search should only be showing monsters but it's also showing plants and honey, it seems that having other monster in your party with their abilities (Plant Search and Honey Search) adds to the Monstie's search ability you use.

Yeah, it's in the description for each ability. Using X Search on your lead monster activates all search abilities in your party.

Lanrutcon

Ok, so super helpful stuff:
- Spending 10k at a shrine gets you +20% xp for 99 minutes. You should always have this buff on.
- Get a Qurupeco ASAP. This thing's ability summons monsters! You can get em in the central plains.
- It's really worth it spending time getting a good specimen of a rare sub species. Those things perform amazingly well, and if you get good genes it'll carry you through fights that would normally destroy you.
- That reviewer that said this game is for young kids is full of shit. Difficulty ramps up quicker than you expect.

Lanrutcon

How do I know if genes are good or not?

The egg has a smell, and a weight. The harsher the smell the better the genes, the heavier the egg the more gene slots it has. Rare lairs and lairs with a golden light over the nest indicate you're more likely to find great eggs there.

ggx2ac

It was funny enough seeing the veins on a regular Khezu's neck when it got knocked down.

Edit: It sucks that transferring genes only lets you transfer only one.

I realised I probably shouldn't have used up a level 1 velocidrome that had better genes than my current one.

Although I guess it didn't really matter when I was probably expecting to not continuing using starter monsters later in the game.

Lanrutcon

So it looks like you can only use a certain amount of nutrients on yourself/a monster?

Edit: Also, your active party all get the same xp, regardless of actual involvement in combat.

ggx2ac

- Spending 10k at a shrine gets you +20% xp for 99 minutes. You should always have this buff on.

Is there an easy way to farm 10000z? It looks like I'll be sticking with paying 1000z for +15% XP for 60 minutes for now.

i-Jest

- Get a Qurupeco ASAP. This thing's ability summons monsters! You can get em in the central plains.
- It's really worth it spending time getting a good specimen of a rare sub species. Those things perform amazingly well, and if you get good genes it'll carry you through fights that would normally destroy you.
- That reviewer that said this game is for young kids is full of shit. Difficulty ramps up quicker than you expect.

Find a subquest that rewards money and isn't too challenging: repeat it a few times.

This is all good to know. Is there a specific sub quest you recommend we farm?

ilium

I just wanted to buy it, but by the time I had decided on it I was 10min too late and the shop was closed haha...

Guess I'll restart the demo and get in on monday then, cause I'd prefer the physical release

kubus

Well you're usually operating in one specific area (pondre hills, snow area, etc) so just accept all the "hunt x monster" quests in that area and then run around in that area farming eggs or whatever you want or need to do there. As you go into nests you will most likely run into the monster needed for the quests anyway so you can kill it for the quest and get exp and an egg. Once you've completed a few quests like that return to a town, turn in your quests (and accept them again if you're like to return to the area any time soon) and hatch your eggs.

The most useful advice I can give anyone is to ALWAYS check the quest board after any kind of cutscene of story related event. Usually the subquests related to an area unlock right before you gain access to that area. When I played the game the first time I would usually just enter the area, kill new monsters and get a bunch of eggs, then return to town and find out that all the things I just did were actually also subquests that I could've gotten rewards for if only I had accepted them earlier.

Especially the "Kill/slay x monster" quests give lots of money (around 1000 each iirc).

During my replay of the game I never really felt like I had to grind for exp or money because I completed the subquests "naturally" as I progressed through the story. I don't think I ever had to repeat a subquest for money, so frequently checking the quest board and just accepting everything really pays off (literally :p).

Lanrutcon

You unlock more as you progress, so just find one that rewards 2k+ for a single big monster (one that you can kill without too much effort!). Once you reach the huge central city your options open up immensely.

TDLink

Is it me or is this one of the best looking 3DS games out there?

It looks good, but I don't think it looks as good as several of Nintendo's first party games. OOT and MM 3D especially look really fantastic. Also Kid Icarus Uprising.

It might be the best looking third party game though.

nubbe

It looks good, but I don't think it looks as good as several of Nintendo's first party games. OOT and MM 3D especially look really fantastic. Also Kid Icarus Uprising.

It might be the best looking third party game though.

that's quite something to compare outsourced ports of N64 games to this
kid icarus don't have nearly as much stuff happening on screen as MHS

Glass Rebel

Bought this one today because I enjoyed the demo (against all expectations) and to support MH in the West. I hope the 1.2 patch makes it over as well.

TDLink

that's quite something to compare outsourced ports of N64 games to this
kid icarus don't have nearly as much stuff happening on screen as MHS

What?

KI:U is a fast paced action game. Compared to this turn based one it has many many more things happening on screen.

And what does it matter if they were N64 games that were outsourced? They still have re-done models and textures that make them look really fantastic.

None of it really matters anyways, MHS -does- look very good for the platform.

mas8705

Haven't played much so far, but what I have done has been amazing. I forgot if it was IGN or Kotaku that said this, but they were (somewhat) right in how they said that Stories was the "Best Pokemon Game" they have ever played.

Collecting the monsters is fun and the idea of fighting with the monsters (and they choose whatever they want to do on their own) is a great mechanic. The only thing I don't like as much is the idea of how when you break down the attacks, it is really just a glorified game of "Rock-Paper-Scissors." Don't get me wrong, there's more to it than that of course, but part of me feels like more times than naught when I'm fighting a new monster that I'm always coming up short since I can't properly guess the monster's attacks after I mount my monster. At least the good thing is that if you understand how some monsters work, you can at least guess their attack patterns easier since if you are up against one that likes to spam "Power" attacks, you can just use "Speed" attacks to get the upperhand (and using a speed monster yourself to do double attacks).

It is a minor gripe, but overall, this is bringing a smile to my face. I was happy that Stories got to come over to the west, and now I am just wondering what kind of team to set up now since I want to get a team of Dios, Regios, and a few other fancy monsters to call my special team. ^_^

Top Bottom