• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Stories |OT| Pi-Khezu, I Choose You!

Unicorn

I was pumped for this, but holy shit I had no idea this was a Pokemon game. Thought it was more like a Digimon style adventure real-time rpg and not straight up turn-based.

I need this ASAP

redcrayon

Haven't played much so far, but what I have done has been amazing. I forgot if it was IGN or Kotaku that said this, but they were (somewhat) right in how they said that Stories was the "Best Pokemon Game" they have ever played.

Collecting the monsters is fun and the idea of fighting with the monsters (and they choose whatever they want to do on their own) is a great mechanic. The only thing I don't like as much is the idea of how when you break down the attacks, it is really just a glorified game of "Rock-Paper-Scissors." Don't get me wrong, there's more to it than that of course, but part of me feels like more times than naught when I'm fighting a new monster that I'm always coming up short since I can't properly guess the monster's attacks after I mount my monster. At least the good thing is that if you understand how some monsters work, you can at least guess their attack patterns easier since if you are up against one that likes to spam "Power" attacks, you can just use "Speed" attacks to get the upperhand (and using a speed monster yourself to do double attacks).

It is a minor gripe, but overall, this is bringing a smile to my face. I was happy that Stories got to come over to the west, and now I am just wondering what kind of team to set up now since I want to get a team of Dios, Regios, and a few other fancy monsters to call my special team. ^_^
Seregios was my favourite Monster in MH4 and MHG, I spent so much time grinding out full G-rank armour and final Dissenter weapons just because the golden armour looks so cool. Can't wait to find one on my team!

Really fun game, just got to the 2nd area. I really love the graphics, it's very charming to look at and it's fun see all the monsters in chibi form. The game isn't easy as I thought it was which is great, almost got wrecked by a Red Khezu in a Rare cave and had to flee from it.....I was able to take the egg though!

redcrayon

Really fun game, just got to the 2nd area. I really love the graphics, it's very charming to look at and it's fun see all the monsters in chibi form. The game isn't easy as I thought it was which is great, almost got wrecked by a Red Khezu in a Rare cave and had to flee from it.....I was able to take the egg though!
Don't forget that you can grab a Zamtrios there and then head back to the hills and go swimming in both that northern cave and to reach a small island in the water in the main area.

It's a nice change of pace to see some monsters that would usually be mid-game beasts turn up early in Stories, I thought the long-suffering Royal Ludroth would be the first aquatic monster we'd recruit.

Lanrutcon

Added a Zinogre to my away team. Will use him later. Trying my best to capture a Green Nargacuga. At least all the failed attempts results in like, 20K's worth of materials and some 5 star armor.

Feels good beating on the things that used to give me so much trouble in real time combat :p I am so petty.

drac96

Man, I shouldn't have looked at the Amiibos. I love the Barioth, now I have to get that one...It helps that Avinia seems cool too.

nubbe

26 hours in and the game keeps getting better
Your monsters kinda need balanced abilities later on, but brute forcing works too

redcrayon

In all my years of playing games, I've travelled water areas in boats, submarines, hovercraft, bubbles and more, but my new favourite is definitely on the back of my pet shark Monster with just it's fin visible.

So many callbacks to the main series, even the way Zamtrios enters the water with a twisting dive.

Rider special moves are hilarious, so silly but the gentle tone throughout shines through. Quite a refreshing change from all the usual darkness in RPGs, reminds me of fantasy life in that way.

I am enjoying the heck out of this game! I just beat Khezu, probably the first real challenge. Its too bad that by the looks of OT activity, it may be a bomba in the west....

Unicorn

I am enjoying the heck out of this game! I just beat Khezu, probably the first real challenge. Its too bad that by the looks of OT activity, it may be a bomba in the west....

A lot of it could be people that are salty the 3DS is still getting supported and just want Switch games.

For the Gamestop bonus, does that count for a digital version purchase off their website too? Just sunk 4 hours into the demo today and this is exactly kind of JRPG I was looking for to play through casually over the semester.

Just saw a review on YouTube and found out about the demo in this OT. Going to try the demo and decide if it's worth a buy.

I would like some multiplayer impressions from Gaf.

ggx2ac

And now I have to replace the Nerscylla I have with another.

Because the other one has better genes, it got the abnormal gene where it says passive skill: ext abnormal status, which I guess is exert abnormal status.

Lanrutcon

And now I have to replace the Nerscylla I have with another.

Because the other one has better genes, it got the abnormal gene where it says passive skill: ext abnormal status, which I guess is exert abnormal status.

Keep every monstie that has handy genes. You can transfer em later, and for endgame you want a decent bank to splice together an "ultimate" version of your favorite monsters.

redcrayon

Keep every monstie that has handy genes. You can transfer em later, and for endgame you want a decent bank to splice together an "ultimate" version of your favorite monsters.
Yeah, it seems like it's worth keeping everything unless they have no genes at all. You can always overwrite them later, it's worth sticking a matching colour in to get the bingo bonus even if it isn't exactly the final build you want.

ggx2ac

Upto Albarax now. (Not a spoiler since it's mentioned in the e-manual.)

Have to change my Nerscylla again because I got a better one, this time it's a bit different too.

DJWTu7LU8AA_Fdq.jpg

Also just got a Rathian, conveniently enough, it has the skill I was going to ask if it was in the game and that is nest search. So that's covered now.

Edit: That's disappointing, I can only send out one expedition party at a time even if there are more fields available?

It's not like Ever Oasis where I could send as many expeditions at once as I want.

redcrayon

I like that the battle system is deceptively simple. At first glance it's paper-scissor-stone (which to be fair lots of RPGs use as the basis for elemental combat anyway), but that's only really for the head-to-heads. Once you start digging into your rider and Monster skills, you can start beating enemies that should be beating your monster most of the time, by telling your creature to continually refuse head-to-heads and use its skills instead. For the opening areas, where monsters have few genes and so few skills, the paper-scissor-stone of head-to-heads is used to get players familiar with what the red line in combat means. Soon enough, they only play a smaller part of combat as enemy and friendly monsters get a wider variety of abilities to play with. As soon as I picked up a Bone Greatsword with beastslayer, using the rider skill made mincemeat of Lagombi and other fanged beasts, to the point where I used all my Affinity points on spamming that instead!

Robin64

Just nabbed this based on having fun with the demo, and good impressions from friends.

I've always been interested in the world of Monster Hunter, but whenever I've tried the traditional games I've felt they're not for me. You have to be a certain type of person to enjoy that combat, and I'm afraid that isn't me. So when this came along, a cute Pokémon style JRPG in the Monster Hunter world, I was quite excited. Seems I was right to be, I love it.

I also liked that I got a costume for my cat for having a Monster Hunter Generations save, means I didn't totally waste my money on that. ;)

kubus

I like that the battle system is deceptively simple. At first glance it's paper-scissor-stone (which to be fair lots of RPGs use as the basis for elemental combat anyway), but that's only really for the head-to-heads. Once you start digging into your rider and Monster skills, you can start beating enemies that should be beating your monster most of the time, by telling your creature to continually refuse head-to-heads and use its skills instead. For the opening areas, where monsters have few genes and so few skills, the paper-scissor-stone of head-to-heads is used to get players familiar with what the red line in combat means. Soon enough, they only play a smaller part of combat as enemy and friendly monsters get a wider variety of abilities to play with. As soon as I picked up a Bone Greatsword with beastslayer, using the rider skill made mincemeat of Lagombi and other fanged beasts, to the point where I used all my Affinity points on spamming that instead!
Yep, this is what I talked about in my review. I actually praised the battle system while I noticed that a lot of reviews describe it as being weak, too simple, too reliant on dumb luck, etc. At first glance it's a simple RPS system but once you start working with Rider + Monstie skills, actually giving commands to your Monstie, using charms and armor bonuses, items etc., you notice the combat is actually pretty deep.

Something I like about the RPS system is that it actually succeeds in mirroring how you fight against monsters in the main Monster Hunter series. At first you kinda have to kinda guess what the opponent is going to do, but in a lot of cases you won't be able to predict their attacks and you lose the Head-to-Head, take damage, etc. But the more you fight them, the more you learn about their attack patterns, and the easier it will be to counter.

nubbe

I much enjoy the simple complexity in the MHS combat.
Compared to the mess that is Pokemon, need to have Wikis at hand to get anything done.

Some of these mid game fights are pretty intense and crazy.
I can't believe anyone that whines about the combat played more than 15 hours.

redcrayon

Yep, this is what I talked about in my review. I actually praised the battle system while I noticed that a lot of reviews describe it as being weak, too simple, too reliant on dumb luck, etc. At first glance it's a simple RPS system but once you start working with Rider + Monstie skills, actually giving commands to your Monstie, using charms and armor bonuses, items etc., you notice the combat is actually pretty deep.

Something I like about the RPS system is that it actually succeeds in mirroring how you fight against monsters in the main Monster Hunter series. At first you kinda have to kinda guess what the opponent is going to do, but in a lot of cases you won't be able to predict their attacks and you lose the Head-to-Head, take damage, etc. But the more you fight them, the more you learn about their attack patterns, and the easier it will be to counter.
Yeah, I'm really impressed with how much they've abstracted into this. Pitfall traps = a 2 turn stun vs a monster using a speed attack. Paintball = % chance monster flees to a visible lair. 3 Hearts between you and your monsters = the 3 KOs your hunters share in MH. Capcom really deserve credit for creating a turn-based JRPG that adds a lot of new mechanics to combat while also being a spin-off that doesn't just celebrate its heritage, it both pivots and innovates on it to come up with something new.

redcrayon

The nests remind me of expeditions in MH4- I like wandering in, not knowing what's going to be there, there's usually plenty of items even if the egg is a poor find.

Robin64

get_img01.png

This QR code will give 30 x Bitterbug, 20 x Potion, and 1 x Training Charm.

KYc954y.png

And this one gives 1 x Lucky Charm.

B258CpT.png

And this lot gives a whole bunch of stuff.

Pretty sure I'll be getting this tomorrow, £28 was too good a price to resist.

Just one question I would like answered if at all possible:

How/where/when will I get a Deviljho and can you ride one one??????

HomesIice

Played through the demo this arvo, what's everyone's thoughts on the battling system?

I think that's the only thing that's making me a bit hesitant on buying the game :/

Also, does anyone know much about the post-game / is there much to do after the main story is finished? (too scared to google!)

Robin64

Played through the demo this arvo, what's everyone's thoughts on the battling system?

I think that's the only thing that's making me a bit hesitant on buying the game :/

A lot deeper than it initially appears. At first it feels like luck, then you begin to learn about each of the monsters and how they behave. Then you begin to get skills which work outside of the janken system and it all begins to flow together nicely. Add to that combos, double skills, and the rider bond system, and it ends up feeling great.

redcrayon

Also, does anyone know much about the post-game / is there much to do after the main story is finished? (too scared to google!)
The demo monsters have few options for skills and so get into head-to-heads more, so it feels a bit paper-scissor-stones at the start. Later on head-to-head becomes rarer due to increased options on both sides through rider and Monster skills, and elemental attacks come more into play. It's still a part of it, but basic monsters really need to have the advantage of speed>power>tech>speed, whereas later monsters and the rider can largely just ignore that if it's disadvantageous and spam stronger skills, items and buffs/debuffs instead. E.g. A speed/fire monster can just use fireball against a tech/ice monster.

TheGrue

One thing I couldn't figure out in the demo was whether I could tell my monstie what to do. Is there a way or will it always just do whatever it wants?

So I'm in a rare monster den. The cat says we need to move along everytime I try to climb the wall and at the end of the cave there's a big ice block that looks like I either need to destroy or climb the wall and go around.

What do I do? Why is the cat being a dick? Lol

Robin64

One thing I couldn't figure out in the demo was whether I could tell my monstie what to do. Is there a way or will it always just do whatever it wants?

You can tell it to perform a skill, but what you can't tell it to do is a basic attack type.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm assuming you can't get the 4 special monsters anymore if you didn't preorder? Or are they in the game like normal?

Unicorn

There's a battle tower and another mode or arena of challenges. Better than most pokemon end games. Also pvp, so farming monsters go fuse.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
There are no pre-order exclusive monsters. Everything is in the game.

Ah OK - I thought those 4 were exclusive.

Is there much of a post game for this title? Looking for something to really sink my teeth into for a few super long plane and train rides.

Unicorn

Ah OK - I thought those 4 were exclusive.

Is there much of a post game for this title? Looking for something to really sink my teeth into for a few super long plane and train rides.

see above. Challenges, battle tower, and a tournament mode that mimics PVP. PvP for online and wireless - farming monsters to fuse for better loadouts/skills. Beefier than most pokemon end-games.

nubbe

see above. Challenges, battle tower, and a tournament mode that mimics PVP. PvP for online and wireless - farming monsters to fuse for better loadouts/skills. Beefier than most pokemon end-games.

Pokemon's endgame is biking hundreds of hours in circles to hatch eggs

Unicorn

Pokemon's endgame is biking hundreds of hours in circles to hatch eggs

Yeah. For the most part that's all most people want - but some entries have battle towers, challenge modes, and other areas to earn post-game currency to get valuable consumables and held items. Unfortunately it's a gamble which games will.

Lanrutcon

Found a charm with Regen(M) and Bomber!

So I regen 13hp a turn and all explosives deal double damage. 400 damage barrel bombs.

Also: fuuuuuck Brachydios. Stupidly badass. The thing counter attacks everything multiple times a round.

Unicorn

Much like Dragon Warrior Monsters (Dragon Quest Monsters) I feel this is flying under the radar - XX Switch simultaneous release isn't helping either. This is a genre that I feel has some fierce competition to Pokemon but not many have seen success. DWM blew Pokemon R/B out of the water at release, but suffered ridiculous sale failure in the West. I bought it at release and convinced several friends at school about it and they all knew it was awesome, but there was just never any saturation like Pokemon did. It didn't have a cartoon and TCG so maybe that is part of the reason, but this game honestly feels better than Sun/Moon and I've only just started.

/sad rant

Lizardus

Much like Dragon Warrior Monsters (Dragon Quest Monsters) I feel this is flying under the radar - XX Switch simultaneous release isn't helping either. This is a genre that I feel has some fierce competition to Pokemon but not many have seen success. DWM blew Pokemon R/B out of the water at release, but suffered ridiculous sale failure in the West. I bought it at release and convinced several friends at school about it and they all knew it was awesome, but there was just never any saturation like Pokemon did. It didn't have a cartoon and TCG so maybe that is part of the reason, but this game honestly feels better than Sun/Moon and I've only just started.

/sad rant

XX simultaneous release where? Stories already "bombed" in Japan last year and XX isn't releasing in the west.

Top Bottom