• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World: Iceborne |OT| ICE, ICE BABY

a friend recently started playing MHW on the PS4. another friend gave him a copy of base MHW and he made an account and got Iceborne. I've been helping him with hunts and stuff but for some reason he can't get into Iceborne. looked into it and turns out his copy of MHW that the friend gave him was actually an Asia (HK) copy and the US PS store's Iceborne won't work with it. he ended up having to get another copy of base MHW from Amazon and start anew. probably wasted around 30 hrs of progress (I got him to HR 50). oh well, gona have to babysit him a little more but at least he'll go straight into Iceborne once I help him finish the base game and got to HR 16.

Pejo

a friend recently started playing MHW on the PS4. another friend gave him a copy of base MHW and he made an account and got Iceborne. I've been helping him with hunts and stuff but for some reason he can't get into Iceborne. looked into it and turns out his copy of MHW that the friend gave him was actually an Asia (HK) copy and the US PS store's Iceborne won't work with it. he ended up having to get another copy of base MHW from Amazon and start anew. probably wasted around 30 hrs of progress (I got him to HR 50). oh well, gona have to babysit him a little more but at least he'll go straight into Iceborne once I help him finish the base game and got to HR 16.
The good news is that the main game is trivial to get through at this point with the Defender equipment. You can have him up to IB levels in a day or 2 if you just stick to progression quests and leave him to do the side stuff later.

Anyone up right now that feels like doing some arena quests or just hunting in general? *edit* - on PC.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Fatalis is almost here. Pretty excited to finally get new content after so long.

It's going to be an epic update. Not sure what I'm most excited for, Fatalis or spending hundreds of hours mixing and matching layered armor. One might call the game fashion hunter from now on.

TheKratos

I just hope Fatalis doesn't have that all area attack one shot gimmick like Alatreon. Behemoth started this trend but that was a crossover, now they're giving this nonsense to old monsters. Not a fan of it

got messed up by Fatalis for about 5 hours and just had enough Ls. went and did the new USJ events and those new gears sure looks great. and the new USJ armor set actually looks like it's useful and not just for looks.

got messed up by Fatalis for about 5 hours and just had enough Ls. went and did the new USJ events and those new gears sure looks great. and the new USJ armor set actually looks like it's useful and not just for looks.
Yeah, that's what happened to me too. I'm getting filtered pretty hard so I just went and did USJ so I can tell myself I'm not going to sleep as a complete loser.

just noticed something about the MR layer armors. I can find Silver Rathalos set in there but not Golden Rathian set. is that just me or anyone else also?

Skifi28

just noticed something about the MR layer armors. I can find Silver Rathalos set in there but not Golden Rathian set. is that just me or anyone else also?

It's there for me, at least I think so. Perhaps you have never gotten some of the materials needed? I would imagine something guiding lands related.

Last edited:
It's there for me, at least I think so. Perhaps you have never gotten some of the materials needed? I would imagine something guiding lands related.

that's definitely not it. I had crafted the whole beta set armor and most of the weapons. if it requires GL tempered version materials then maybe. can you let me know where is the set on that list location wise? like what's above and under it? and what material it requires please?

Skifi28

that's definitely not it. I had crafted the whole beta set armor and most of the weapons. if it requires GL tempered version materials then maybe. can you let me know where is the set on that list location wise? like what's above and under it? and what material it requires please?

Directly above silver rath gear, seems to require tempered gold rathian scales, rest is regular gold rathian stuff and then spiritvein solidbones/great gems

Skifi28

Aaaand finally killed him after banging my head against a wall for the past 5 hours. It was glorious, though farming for all his gear is going to be a nigthtmare. The repeatable event quest seems to cut your carts from 5 to 3....ouch.

Aaaand finally killed him after banging my head against a wall for the past 5 hours. It was glorious, though farming for all his gear is going to be a nigthtmare. The repeatable event quest seems to cut your carts from 5 to 3....ouch.
By the time I first killed him my palico's plunderblade has gotten me so much material from repeated failed attempts that I was almost able to make a full armor set :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Skifi28

Ok, got the second kill after like another 5 hours. It's so fucking hard to solo with just 3 carts....It'll take a few months to get all the weapons/armor/layered at this point.

Last edited:

Pejo

Shit, I forgot this update was out. There's no way I'm gonna be ready for Fatalis yet. I still haven't even tried Alatreon. Sounds like it's a pretty tough fight though.

finally managed to kill Fatalis for the story after like 3 days of 4~6 hours each day of trying :messenger_tears_of_joy: there were definitely a few times that I came close, both solo and in SOS. but in the end I got the kill joining someone's SOS.

I feel that the trick is to have one person (yourself if you're joining SOS) to have Heavy Artillery at level 2 and let that person do all the cannon and ballista shooting. increasing the damage of the cannons from 250 to 450 each hit and the rolling ballista from 40 to 70 each really makes a difference. not to mention the Dragonator hitting 8300+ each (I think without heavy artillery it's 5000ish dmg each right?), that's like 16~17K of dmg right there. and everyone else who's doing dps, especially melees, really need to not get too greedy and just hit and run. and please remember to tenderize parts.

now the long road of farming all the mats for it's gear. at least the Savior and Fatalis pendant look pretty sweet.

Pejo

finally managed to kill Fatalis for the story after like 3 days of 4~6 hours each day of trying :messenger_tears_of_joy: there were definitely a few times that I came close, both solo and in SOS. but in the end I got the kill joining someone's SOS.

I feel that the trick is to have one person (yourself if you're joining SOS) to have Heavy Artillery at level 2 and let that person do all the cannon and ballista shooting. increasing the damage of the cannons from 250 to 450 each hit and the rolling ballista from 40 to 70 each really makes a difference. not to mention the Dragonator hitting 8300+ each (I think without heavy artillery it's 5000ish dmg each right?), that's like 16~17K of dmg right there. and everyone else who's doing dps, especially melees, really need to not get too greedy and just hit and run. and please remember to tenderize parts.

now the long road of farming all the mats for it's gear. at least the Savior and Fatalis pendant look pretty sweet.
Congrats! I watched a few vids of the fight, looks hectic but fun. I still have to beat Alatreon before I can try fatty. I should probably work on that while there are still a ton of players doing the fight. Good tips on the HA skill too.

When I get to Fatty, I'll probably just plunderblade and solo until I can make the Palico gear, it's so damn good.

iu

Congrats! I watched a few vids of the fight, looks hectic but fun. I still have to beat Alatreon before I can try fatty. I should probably work on that while there are still a ton of players doing the fight. Good tips on the HA skill too.

When I get to Fatty, I'll probably just plunderblade and solo until I can make the Palico gear, it's so damn good.

iu

you can definitely do that. ghelli mantle fly down and then set up the two cannons. make sure to have max Heavy Artillery. if all cannon hits connect, that's at least 4500 dmg and a guarantee knock down. go in and put a couple mega bombs around it's wings and get your Palico pundering away. I usually get at least 2 or 3 materials including wing and maybe a cortex and/or pectus. I got my Palico's Fatalis armor before I even get to kill Fatalis once. the material you get from just trying usually would be enough already.

I've been farming Fatalis today mostly answering SOS. thou I did go into a session that's Fatalis hunt only and ended up getting a kill there, since it's mostly people who knows what to do and just there farming it. got 2 more kills after that too so now I have the full beta armor set and the fully upgraded hammer.

the biggest problem is definitely the team mates who don't know what to look out for. from wasting wallbangs when Fatalis is standing up (standing up "wallbang" only does 680 dmg or so while if you wallbang it when it's on all 4s will get you 3000+) or going in without even waiting for one of the team to ghelli mantle up and go set up cannons first. the dragon pod ammos is actually really important, especially in the last stage. learn it's attack tells and try to interrupt them with 2 dragon pods. those are life savers. gear wise I would suggest 2 pieces of Gold Rathian armors, preferably the body and waist, since just those 2 would give you max out level 5 divine protection. then maybe put on Alatreon pieces in the remaining 3 slots and dicorat them according to your play style.

if you're on PS4 and need some help, let me know and I might be able to do a few runs with you.

Gandih42

Aw man, all this Fatalis stuff is making me super excited to play some more Iceborne but I won't have access to my PS4 until December. Didn't even manage to beat Alatreon yet, gonna get my ass whopped around all day come Christmas.

Congrats to you guys beating Fatalis, sounds like a crazy hectic fight!

Aw man, all this Fatalis stuff is making me super excited to play some more Iceborne but I won't have access to my PS4 until December. Didn't even manage to beat Alatreon yet, gonna get my ass whopped around all day come Christmas.

Congrats to you guys beating Fatalis, sounds like a crazy hectic fight!

there would probably still be people farming Fatalis even in December, but not sure about Alatreon thou. chances are you'll still be able to find people to help on SOS. worst comes to worst, just post here for help and see what happens.

Gandih42

there would probably still be people farming Fatalis even in December, but not sure about Alatreon thou. chances are you'll still be able to find people to help on SOS. worst comes to worst, just post here for help and see what happens.
Yeah, I'll be here too on Iceborne for many more months to come should you need any help.

Thanks a bunch guys. I'm sure there'll still be plenty of people going at it by then but then, but nice knowing there's peeps here too.

That Fatalis armor looks crazy powerful. Fitting for the final big update I suppose. I'm genuinely impressed by the amount of free updates and support this game has gotten. I got in a little while after Iceborne launched and even then there was absurd amounts of content.

Thanks a bunch guys. I'm sure there'll still be plenty of people going at it by then but then, but nice knowing there's peeps here too.

That Fatalis armor looks crazy powerful. Fitting for the final big update I suppose. I'm genuinely impressed by the amount of free updates and support this game has gotten. I got in a little while after Iceborne launched and even then there was absurd amounts of content.

yeah, this is by far one of the best game this gen with all the free support they had given. and you'll definitely have more people hunting for a while, at least until Rise comes out on Switch, then you'll probably see a decrease with some folks going for the new game. but even then I imagine you'll still have those who plays on MHW sticking with it for a while. and we actually still have AT Valhanna coming in a few days and also the Halloween event and gears/skins too. plenty of stuff to do and get.

Pejo

you can definitely do that. ghelli mantle fly down and then set up the two cannons. make sure to have max Heavy Artillery. if all cannon hits connect, that's at least 4500 dmg and a guarantee knock down. go in and put a couple mega bombs around it's wings and get your Palico pundering away. I usually get at least 2 or 3 materials including wing and maybe a cortex and/or pectus. I got my Palico's Fatalis armor before I even get to kill Fatalis once. the material you get from just trying usually would be enough already.

I've been farming Fatalis today mostly answering SOS. thou I did go into a session that's Fatalis hunt only and ended up getting a kill there, since it's mostly people who knows what to do and just there farming it. got 2 more kills after that too so now I have the full beta armor set and the fully upgraded hammer.

the biggest problem is definitely the team mates who don't know what to look out for. from wasting wallbangs when Fatalis is standing up (standing up "wallbang" only does 680 dmg or so while if you wallbang it when it's on all 4s will get you 3000+) or going in without even waiting for one of the team to ghelli mantle up and go set up cannons first. the dragon pod ammos is actually really important, especially in the last stage. learn it's attack tells and try to interrupt them with 2 dragon pods. those are life savers. gear wise I would suggest 2 pieces of Gold Rathian armors, preferably the body and waist, since just those 2 would give you max out level 5 divine protection. then maybe put on Alatreon pieces in the remaining 3 slots and dicorat them according to your play style.

if you're on PS4 and need some help, let me know and I might be able to do a few runs with you.
Thanks for the tips and the offer, but I play on PC. I have a PS4 save with a ton of hours in it, but that was all before IB, which I only bought on PC. I'm going to work on building out a few elemental sets for Alatreon tonight, hopefully get that fight under my belt. I already have a ton of extra Gold Rath mats, since I like farming her poison weapon for all the weapons I play, so that's a good call.

Thanks for the tips and the offer, but I play on PC. I have a PS4 save with a ton of hours in it, but that was all before IB, which I only bought on PC. I'm going to work on building out a few elemental sets for Alatreon tonight, hopefully get that fight under my belt. I already have a ton of extra Gold Rath mats, since I like farming her poison weapon for all the weapons I play, so that's a good call.

I actually have the PC version too. only game I had double dipped so far. my PC run isn't as complete as my PS4 run but it's good enough gear wise. so if you need help, let me know.

I'll never use all these new layered armors but I'm still making them anyway. Research Commission Tickets are a pain in the butt to farm. Thankfully Fatty gear makes the double metal Raths punching bags but it still takes a while since you have to wait between spawns.

Pejo

Do you guys know of a list that exists somewhere of specific armor gloves that change your slinger visually? I honestly didn't even know that was a thing until today, but I saw somebody with a slinger that looked like one of those floating jellyfish when it was loaded, and I'm trying to figure out which armor it goes along with. I'm running the kung-fu suit (forget the name) event layered armor, and my whole fist glows with fire when my slinger is loaded.

Do you guys know of a list that exists somewhere of specific armor gloves that change your slinger visually? I honestly didn't even know that was a thing until today, but I saw somebody with a slinger that looked like one of those floating jellyfish when it was loaded, and I'm trying to figure out which armor it goes along with. I'm running the kung-fu suit (forget the name) event layered armor, and my whole fist glows with fire when my slinger is loaded.
I think Dante, Chinese New Year, and Astral have unique slingers too. Basically if the arm model doesn't have a slinger then it has a special effect for the slinger/claw.

The game's final new festival is here.

The Astera Autumn Harvest Fest is joined by the new Seliana Fun Fright Fest!
Visit both Gathering Hubs to experience twice the amount of seasonal celebration!

Availability
5 p.m. Thursday, October 15, 2020 — 3:59 p.m. Thursday, November 5, 2020 (Pacific Time)

Layered armor!
Complete limited-time event quests for the materials to craft special new equipment, such as the Demonlord α+ armor set, Kadachi Scarf layered armor, and more!
Increased login bonuses!
Lucky Vouchers increased to 2 per day, and login bonuses also include Autumn Harvest Tickets and Fun Fright Tickets!
Daily limited bounties!
Complete limited bounties to get Autumn Harvest Tickets, Harvest Fireworks, Fun Fright Tickets, and Snowmen!
Discounts at base facilities!
New Handler outfits available for a limited time!
New Poogie clothing as well as Guild Card titles, backgrounds, and poses!
Nearly all event quests available to play!
Almost all previous event quests will be made available for the duration of the event.

It's been a great run. 600+ hours on PS4, nearly 1000 hours on PC, now it's time for one last grind.

Last edited:
So with all the old rare decos now meldable, tempered elder events doling out a ton of the Iceborne level 4 decos, and fatty armor, I just ended up planning out a bunch of sets. I picked up a lance which I haven't used since Tri. I have to say that clutch counter feels really good. Gonna try out a bunch of other weapons that I never touched even in other games in the series. Also I'm disappointed there aren't more Jyura weapons so I can use them as layers.

a1rwUzo.jpeg

Pejo

Fug, I totally missed the harvest/halloween event dropping. Looks like I'll have some grinding to do this weekend to get sets for my main and alt for both layered seasonal sets.

No new content but new update incoming along with a new appreciation pack.
Safi's going to be scaling to the number of players, nearly all events will be permanent, Fest tickets are becoming meldable, Astera/Seliana Fests are rotating on a bi weekly basis.

LucidFlux

Hadn't played since before Alatreon was added but I hopped on the other night and holy hell does this run beautifully on PS5.

Does anyone here still regularly play on playstation? I'll be looking to tackle Alatreon/Fatalis and whatever new best decoration farm there is.

Pejo

Stuff like this is why I was so excited for PC version. Looks like some dudes modded in white fatty.

It's crazy that I last posted in this thread more than 3 years ago. Anyway, Rise's MP is extremely fragmented. I said this before but World requiring you to watch cutscenes before you can mp only happens once per story quest but Rise's terrible region locked matchmaking and tiered anomaly hunts killed pate game mp. Even with the mod that removes region locking there's so few people doing endgame special investigations.

Top Bottom