• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter: World shipments and digital sales top 8.3 million

Dunki

That is a lot. I wonder if this is finally the shift to consoles again and a multiplatform strategy for this series.

klosos

Oh that's great news for them , i've tried playing this but just cant get in to it however you can see the amount of love and effort Capcom have put in to this so congratz to them.

sublimit

Banned
Do we know how much MHW sold in Japan when compared to Monster Hunter 4's Japanese sales? MH4 came out September 2013 and by the end of 2013 it had sold 3.9 million copies in Japan alone.

VertigoOA

Banned
Player retention for this hasn’t been that great. Strong debut out of the gate but didn’t hold popular for more than a month. Will be interesting to see what the brand strength will be like for a sequel.

Azurro

Banned
Pretty impressive. To be honest though, I bought it and gave it a quick run, but I didn't like it so much, I need to give it another shot. Anyway, it's great to see Capcom getting success, they have some great IPs.

Player retention for this hasn’t been that great. Strong debut out of the gate but didn’t hold popular for more than a month. Will be interesting to see what the brand strength will be like for a sequel.
I have a theory for this, that a large amount of the new MHW players to this series are regular "play a large variety of games, mostly Japanese single player" gamers, and not the GaaS type which will play the same game for 6 months straight.

Personally, I put in well over a hundred hours in an insanely short amount of time, but there are just TOO many games on the PS4 to play that I feel wrong putting an unbanced amount time into any single game. If the PS4 had the release schedule of the Switch yeah maybe I would still be playing, but I cant ignore all the good stuff that has come out this year.

Thiagosc777

There were many first timers with this game because it is the first on consoles. The next one won't sell nearly as much.

I gave this game a try and didn't like it. I don't play anymore and won't be playing any future installments.

The problem for me is that it feels like a mobile game. The "city" you go to do shopping is basically a menu screen (like in a mobile game) where you "purchase" stuff. the combat is lackluster (like in a mobile game) and the gameplay is segmented into several "smaller areas" instead of a giant open world (like in a mobile game).

I usually don't like open world games, but it'd be perfect for this.

Last edited:

Zaffo

the combat is lackluster (like in a mobile game)

Hate to be that guy, but did you actually try to learn a moveset or a mechanic?
I can see what are you saying about the hub style quest progression, but the only way to find the combat in a MH game "lackluster" is to approach the game without even trying to learn the ropes.

Unless we are talking fighting games or some japanese character action game, there isn't much out there, that could give MH's fighting system a run for his money in terms of mechanical depth.

Thiagosc777

Hate to be that guy, but did you actually try to learn a moveset or a mechanic?

The problem is that to kill each monster you have to mindlessly hit them, until they run away and you have give chase and start it again. It takes too long and it is boring.

I know each monster has weaknesses, but even then, it's feels clumsy overall. It feels like something that would be good enough for a mobile game, but not on a console.

The entire game feels like something you would play on a train or something, little missions to be done in "short bursts", instead of an actual campaign.

Last edited:

Golmo

Neo Member
Really great game but sadly there is no new content.
i would like to have a big dlc / addon like diablo 3 did.

TacosNSalsa

Really great game but sadly there is no new content.
i would like to have a big dlc / addon like diablo 3 did.

I agree. Lunastra was a good step in the right direction. She added new mechanics to the fight. Kulve Taroth was another good idea but I got bored of that fast. I'm also kind of worried about power creep in this game. Hopefully Behemoth does truly change things up. I'm really dying for a new stage or something

Mecha Meow

Ultimately passed on the game because its too close to WoW:BfA, Yakuza 0, and the new Hearthstone expansion. Instead, I'll enjoy the MH themed stuff in FFXIV.

Pejo

Glad for Capcom, they needed a win. I loved the game, played it religiously for months.

If I had one piece of feedback - they should have kept the monsters coming out at a faster pace. I'm hoping they announce a DLC expansion for G rank with a ton of new monsters.

Top Bottom