• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World (XB1/PS4, PC later, Early 2018) E3 info [Up: Effectively MH5]

Thewonandonly

Allrifht this will defiantly be my first monster hunter and I can't ducking wait. My favorite thing in video games is killing giant epic monsters that's why I love souls games, so never being able to play a game based on that soul concept alone hurt. I don't like hand held gaming but on the PS4 pro o god I can't wait :)

Also never ask a monster hunter fan to tell them a little about the game. If u are a gaffer hat was at the switch launch and this hurts u I'm sorry... but I asked this dude about monster hunter like what it's about. He literally got an hour showed me every piece of armor and weapon all the bosses his clothing how to make potions. He was giving me a whole 101 course for monster hunter while everyone else was talking about other games I wanted to join in on :( but man I had to be nice.

So if the unlikely chance that this dude was a gaffer we'll if someone ask you about it give them a quick five minute review not a wiki guide ;)

Hah, that candid dodge "Is Monster Hunter World MH5?" "It's the next generation".

This could be them just hedging bets on World: If it's a big blowout success, yay, it's now officially MH5. If not, it's not like they can't make a more traditional one for Switch.

Crosseyes

Banned
Looking back at the thread yesterday lol
No kidding. Goes to show how a single bad rumor can completely warp people's first impressions to only look for their preconceived notions when the trailer showed nothing to indicate anything contradicting any of this info.

I think this whole "westernizing" talking point was all based on just the platforms the game is on.

Like the series has been great on 3DS but putting it on home consoles is favoring the west's preferences over Japan. That's how it's 'westernized'. The gameplay, tone, feel, and everything else about Monster Hunter was going to stand for itself from the beginning.

R0ckman

Hmm... still say that if this game works for me, it'll be in spite of the additions, not because of them, but I'm becoming slightly less concerned. I at least realized that the removal of zones in turn removes the issues of a monster chilling near the edge of the zone, so that's nice.

My big concern right now is all the grappling stuff and environmental interaction. Like, if it's a small thing that occassionally supplements your normal gameplay loop then I guess that's fine (ala mounting, at least when you're not playing super mounting heavy), but I really, really hope it's not intrusive. And that the environment stuff isn't too super scripted/cinematic garbage that'll get old real quick.

Also really hate the idea of monsters fighting one another, as that sounds like it'll just make the game easier in a real lame way. In theory though, hopefully that points to the more interesting case of, say, actually having monsters team up in significant ways, to better challenge the player. (Actually, I'd similarly be a lot more cool with environmental stuff if it was more focused on the monster primarily using it to make things harder for players).

Oh, and I am never warming up on that bland as hell T-rex. Bottom tier (if not absolute worst in series) large monster design, and it's scary to me that THAT is what they want to show off in terms of designs, front and center.

Edit: Oh right, and I better not ever, ever need to bother with that stealth and tracking crap, as that looks like nothing I want to do in MH in the least.

What you want sounds pretty boring for modern gameplay. I can't keep playing the same fights and seeing the same robotic behavior over and over, had to force myself to finish Generations because I couldn't take anymore.

It gets to the point that Monster interactions being what they are is immersion breaking. It just feels archaic, and gets worse and worse when you are meant to grind out the content for gear. In Generations I had an older monster (Yian Garuga) actually bug out on me when not online, playing the black crow dlc, this crap can't fly on HD consoles.

Monsters fighting eachother means possibly different match ups and all sorts of more interesting situations. The grappling is a much better way to get out of situations and help with maneuverabilities that suffer from a weaker camera control system.

the poor monster designs

I would blame mh4. That pink guy looks just like a bigger jaggia.

I honestly worry that the living stuff of monsters swooping in to fight each other or luring them to different areas sounds like it's the sort of thing that looks cool the first time but by the tenth hunt you just want to fight them normally.

Sounds like G rank fights. We're all gonna farm for dung/flash bombs for sure and spend too much materials crafting traps for every encounter

The Hermit

The combat not being changed is great, but doesn't really address my concerns about the tracking stuff, the stealth elements, how well they'll handle the gameplay changes that will surround seamless zones, the poor monster designs, or how I honestly worry that the living stuff of monsters swooping in to fight each other or luring them to different areas sounds like it's the sort of thing that looks cool the first time but by the tenth hunt you just want to fight them normally.

sorry, this is not the monster hunter you are looking for

:(

I look forward to this, and i will likely buy multiple copies. I am however, disappointed it apparently is coming at the expense of Monster Hunter XX on switch : /

Derkon

Thanks for the info OP, really looking forward to this now. I was a bit sceptical but all the new info has me excited.

Kyoufu

I always believed in this project and I'm happy to see that belief paying off. It's everything I wanted from a next gen Monster Hunter on console.

This is actually my dream MH game from the look of it. All those issues I had with the series for the last 13 years have finally been addressed. Well, most of them.

I still need to know how gear progression works in this and what they're going to do about inventory limits and charm farming.

Only thing that I don't like so far is the damage numbers. I think it adds a healthy amount of friction toward optimization and taking "best in slots" weapon. Also if you see the damage number you don't really have to pay attention to the hitstop and blood spatter effect to determine the best hitbox location damage on the monster..

I always believed in this project and I'm happy to see that belief paying off. It's everything I wanted from a next gen Monster Hunter on console.

This is actually my dream MH game from the look of it. All those issues I had with the series for the last 13 years have finally been addressed. Well, most of them.

I still need to know how gear progression works in this and what they're going to do about inventory limits and charm farming.

Agreed 100%.

And personally, I can't wait to just run solo through each of the different maps and explore every nook and cranny for my own satisfaction; something that'll be infinitely more fun in my opinion now that there aren't separate zones in each map.

BigEmil

I thought alot of complaints and shitposts on this game were all legit criticism but then I found out later on the internet why 'certain specific platform' fans are doing this...lol petty

I thought alot of complaints and shitposts on this game were all legit criticism but then I found out later on the internet why 'certain specific platform' fans are doing this...lol petty

So because of the "internet", you're willing to discard out of hand any possibly legitimate criticisms or voices of doubt as merely coming from insincere console warriors.

Who is the petty one exactly?

Kyoufu

Agreed 100%.

And personally, I can't wait to just run solo through each of the different maps and explore every nook and cranny for my own satisfaction; something that'll be infinitely more fun in my opinion now that there aren't separate zones in each map.

Being part of a living, breathing map instead of the dead, lifeless crap is going to breathe new life into the experience itself. It'll feel as fresh as it first did when I popped in the MH1 JP disc in my PS2 back in 2004. I really can't wait for Monster Hunter to take the next step.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Maybe next time people should wait for more details to surface before going crazy with the whole "What have they done to my Monster Hunter!" nonsense that was going on at the trailer thread...

I was never worried about the title I trust Capcom to know what they are doing.

Thank goodness Hunting Styles and Underwater fights are not returning!!!

By the new details it looks like any traditional MH game with some added mechanics like no more separated zones and upgraded graphics, which is cool. But I wonder what makes this game different apart from the above that makes Capcom say that this game is for the western audiences. I think we have to wait until release to know that?

Briarios

So because of the "internet", you're willing to discard out of hand any possibly legitimate criticisms or voices of doubt as merely coming from insincere console warriors.

Who is the petty one exactly?

I'm perfectly willing to discard criticisms from anyone who hasn't played it ...

Fukuzatsu

No kidding. Goes to show how a single bad rumor can completely warp people's first impressions to only look for their preconceived notions when the trailer showed nothing to indicate anything contradicting any of this info.

I think this whole "westernizing" talking point was all based on just the platforms the game is on.

Like the series has been great on 3DS but putting it on home consoles is favoring the west's preferences over Japan. That's how it's 'westernized'. The gameplay, tone, feel, and everything else about Monster Hunter was going to stand for itself from the beginning.

I suppose for some people there is a spectre of 'westernisation' threatening to tear down the Pure Fun that Pure Japanese games provide, as if no designer or company would ever genuinely want to make their game more accessible or fun to play.

There were people arguing for MH not changing because having to look up stats and setups on wiki pages is apparently part of what makes the series great. That really floored me.

Kyoufu

Bamboo 竹;240673856 said:
By the new details it looks like any traditional MH game with some added mechanics like no more separated zones and upgraded graphics, which is cool. But I wonder what makes this game different apart from the above that makes Capcom say that this game is for the western audiences. I think we have to wait until release to know that?

Mainly the QoL improvements and the seamless maps.

Bamboo 竹;240673856 said:
Seems mostly about additions to the base formula to make the game more accessible, things like damage numbers so that players know how they are doing against monsters more clearly, drop-in coop even mid mission which is HUGE for MP, new stealth mechanics to more easily avoid unwanted encounters or plan things out, etc.

It's not actually dumbing the game down like a lot of people feared, it's just expanding on the formula in much bigger ways than we're used to.

JP_

Banned
Bamboo 竹;240673856 said:

Capcom never said the game was designed for western audiences

Bamboo 竹;240673856 said:

Being console-only and has no local MP.

Boogiepop

What you want sounds pretty boring for modern gameplay. I can't keep playing the same fights and seeing the same robotic behavior over and over, had to force myself to finish Generations because I couldn't take anymore.

It gets to the point that Monster interactions being what they are is immersion breaking. It just feels archaic, and gets worse and worse when you are meant to grind out the content for gear. In Generations I had an older monster (Yian Garuga) actually bug out on me when not online, playing the black crow dlc, this crap can't fly on HD consoles.

Monsters fighting eachother means possibly different match ups and all sorts of more interesting situations. The grappling is a much better way to get out of situations and help with maneuverabilities that suffer from a weaker camera control system.
I mean, I'm open to monsters getting more varied in what THEY do, and I think I covered that. But as for the new stuff they're adding to what the HUNTER can do, well... quite frankly, I'm worried it just won't match up to the interesting interactions that make up the main combat. (Talking environmental stuff, mind you). Aka I'm worried it'll just be a flashy thing you trigger, but lack the depth of normal fighting, while still taking up time and now proving important in fights. Which may well be a pointless worry over a worst case scenario, and hopefully I'll be proven wrong.

But yeah, I just can't see monsters fighting each other as a positive addition, as it solely makes things easier and detracts from them, you know, actively trying to fight you. But again I'll say, its presence does imply they're thinking on monster interaction, and actively seeing them work together meaningfully is something that actually does sound worthwhile and interesting to me.

Fukuzatsu

new stealth mechanics to more easily avoid unwanted encounters or plan things out, etc.

Given that you can't drop out of an area to hide from a monster or do a heal, it seems like you would need some mechanic to give you a breather in larger areas without loading screens anyway.

aadiboy

I'm really interested in the Japanese reaction to this reveal. Even with how ubiquitous handhelds are in Japan, I feel like there must be a sizable amount of MH players who can't not play a new MH game regardless of platform.

SalvaPot

Well, damn, sounds like the real deal. Will have to try it.

Now to see if it actually sells, the game looks expensive compared to the last few 3DS releases, and this is Capcom so I am expecting them to target 3 million, at least.

Maybe next time people should wait for more details to surface before going crazy with the whole "What have they done to my Monster Hunter!" nonsense that was going on at the trailer thread...

MtZ9N.gif

Floody

This sounds great, should be my first taste of a Monster Hunter game.

What are Monster Hunter games like if you only play solo though? Should I try and get a friend or 2 onboard before playing?

Given that you can't drop out of an area to hide from a monster or do a heal, it seems like you would need some mechanic to give you a breather in larger areas without loading screens anyway.
Yup, i said this in the original thread, of course someone argued against my point by basically saying nobody uses load screens like that so stealth is pointless lol

Kyoufu

What are Monster Hunter games like if you only play solo though? Should I try and get a friend or 2 onboard before playing?

Yeah if you want to get the full Monster Hunter experience you really should get some friends on board. It's a whole new ball game and it *clicks* when you and your friends take down your first monster. It's a magical experience.

I find solo to be boring to be honest. It'll be more interesting in World since the environment is more dynamic than ever before but I still don't see myself playing solo much.

They're fine to play solo. You typically get one or two hunting pals for offline play that, while not as effective as another hunter, are useful distractions for the monster so you can get the breaks you need. Online co-op is entirely optional, but it is always fun to play with friends.

Monster Hunter is great both alone or with other players.

I have a feeling this game will have the best set of tutorials the series has seen yet.

I really want to see more of this game, I know a couple of people who I'd love to play with, I haven't played a Monster Hunter game in like ten years and this one looks and sounds pretty dope

Floody

They're fine to play solo. You typically get one or two hunting pals for offline play that, while not as effective as another hunter, are useful distractions for the monster so you can get the breaks you need. Online co-op is entirely optional, but it is always fun to play with friends.

Yeah if you want to get the full Monster Hunter experience you really should get some friends on board. It's a whole new ball game and it *clicks* when you and your friends take down your first monster. It's a magical experience.

I find solo to be boring to be honest. It'll be more interesting in World since the environment is more dynamic than ever before but I still don't see myself playing solo much.

Monster Hunter is great both alone or with other players.

I have a feeling this game will have the best set of tutorials the series has seen yet.

Thanks for the replies!
I should be able to get a couple people onboard, but not super worried if I don't now. Was worried it'd be like a lot of the loot games were solo is fine, but can get really boring fast.

TheOasis

I'm interested in playing MH: World as someone who has put countless hours into the MH series but it's fundamentally a different game from MHXX. That's why fans like me want MHXX to be localized alongside MH:World. For example:

MHXX has Hunting Styles (Adds Brave Style and Alchemy Style)
2RVqzA.gif

MHXX has Hunter Arts (Super Moves that you fill up a meter to use)
rasenzan.gif.pagespeed.ce.gH51__CHNO.gif

MHXX has Prowlers (Cats) as playble characters
2017022013501847857.gif

A freaking flagship rocket dragon + super boss versions of iconic monsters from the series that are called "Deviants"
DifferentEnragedFulmar-size_restricted.gif

MH: Worlds has none of this and is looking like a more grounded take on the monster hunter concept that doubles down on tracking and stealth which are elements which took a backseat to the more action focus of later games. Then there's the fact that it's not on a portable console and lacks local co-op. It would be truly sad if capcom stopped releasing MH games with the classic formula in the west and ignored the players like myself that still wants this style of game because they sure as hell aren't going to stop making portable entries for the Japanese audience. I think that both World and Portable entries can exist in the same marketplace in the west.

I'm interested in playing MH: World as someone who has put countless hours into the MH series but it's fundamentally a different game from MHXX.

We have no way of knowing what is in the game at this point, and considering it's slated for early 2018, I imagine Capcom isn't even set in stone themselves. You can easily display that stuff from MHXX because it's 2 months from release and they have showcased it a bunch in Japan. MH:W was just revealed, and we've gotten barely any footage of it yet. Remember the MH4 reveal? People had a lot of the same complaints and ended up loving that game.

MH: Worlds has none of this and is looking like a more grounded take on the monster hunter concept that doubles down on tracking and stealth which are elements which took a backseat to the more action focus of later games.

In other words, it's returning to its roots. They've already said (I believe) that it will have plenty of action, and if they are catering to Western audiences it's not like they're going to make a Turn-Based MH or some shit.

ramyeon

Since they're not localizing Switch, it's very weird. Or this being MT Framework, which ran on Wii no problem, lacking a portable version makes very little sense.

This:
People are misinterpreting this quote. It doesn't mean MH:W has been developed with the West in mind, it means that their localisation efforts are fully focused on this project so they have no plans on XX for Switch localisation at this point in time.

dtm808

I'm interested in playing MH: World as someone who has put countless hours into the MH series but it's fundamentally a different game from MHXX. That's why fans like me want MHXX to be localized alongside MH:World. For example:

MHXX has Hunting Styles (Adds Brave Style and Alchemy Style)

MHXX has Hunter Arts (Super Moves that you fill up a meter to use)

Yah that is the one thing im gonna be really sad about. It made all the weapons in MH so much more diverse and fun. Gonna suck to go back :( (assuming they wont be in the game).

ramyeon

Can I just say that the more I see of this the more I am loving it? I put in 500 hours+ on MH3U on the Wii U but just could not get into the 3DS version or MH4 nearly as much due to the ergonomics of the platform and controls.

This coming to PS4 is a dream come true.

Top Bottom