• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World (XB1/PS4, PC later, Early 2018) E3 info [Up: Effectively MH5]

Gaspard

Seeing that the main team worked on this is putting it back in my radar. I'll be in for the PC version if impressions are right.

Yah that is the one thing im gonna be really sad about. It made all the weapons in MH so much more diverse and fun. Gonna suck to go back :( (assuming they wont be in the game).
Go back? There's clearly going to be new functions with weapons, going by the footage of the rapid fire bowgun ability.

co1onel

My main worry at this point is that MH World won't have transmogging. It's the only thing I've ever asked for in this series, and when they finally implement it, they don't even localize it.

I'm interested in playing MH: World as someone who has put countless hours into the MH series but it's fundamentally a different game from MHXX. That's why fans like me want MHXX to be localized alongside MH:World. For example:

MHXX has Hunting Styles (Adds Brave Style and Alchemy Style)
2RVqzA.gif

MHXX has Hunter Arts (Super Moves that you fill up a meter to use)
rasenzan.gif.pagespeed.ce.gH51__CHNO.gif

This is why I think MH4U was the last great MH game. I never like Styles and Arts in X at all. I'm glad that MHW seems to go back to its root.

Honey Bunny

Excited. Monster Hunter with modern graphics and QoL improvements is the dream.

Let's hope the spirit of Capcpom doesn't return to fuck things up.

Kyoufu

Excited. Monster Hunter with modern graphics and QoL improvements is the dream.

Let's hope the spirit of Capcpom doesn't return to fuck things up.

Capcom's main teams who make the numbered and portable/generations teams treat MH with a lot of care and respect. They know what they're doing.

Hunting Styles (Adds Brave Style and Alchemy Style)
Hunter Arts (Super Moves that you fill up a meter to use)
Prowlers (Cats) as playble characters

I really don't care for these additions at all. Feels like they added those features just to add something. I'm sure they could have come up with better ideas.

moozoom

All these new details are comforting - glad they didn't get rid of the felines, the meat cooking and the majority of the usual gameplay elements. Hope they keep the poogies and the silly stuff too, for me this is the core personality of the series to juxtapose quirky stuff with the hunt.

Besides I don't mind "spinoffs" of franchises I like. More games to play in a setting I like,that's why I'm eagerly waiting for MH riders in Europe. But now it's clear this game isn't a spinoff, but a real evolution of the formula.

Sadly online only co op means I won't be able to play with my boyfriend like we did on 3Ds, or throw MH parties with 2 more friends. Hunts and gathering in bed before sleep was great...

Dingens

so... is this just another case of them putting a Rathalos on the cover of the non-Japanese version, or is there truly no flagship monster this time around?

How would you do this on console anyway?
My situation is pretty unusual, but I've got 3 TVs in one room with 2 PS4s and a PC. Muy buds regularly come over with their consoles to play multiplayer stuff. Definitely not as convenient as a handheld though. :p

This game was designed around online multiplayer instead of local. People are gonna have to bring out their headsets. Hopefully people will actually communicate, though past entries have proven that to be unnecessary for the game to work.

I wonder why they couldn't make all of that clear when they revealed the game. Nonetheless, this sounds amazing and is exactly what I wanted for the franchise. A proper console-game with modern graphics. And finally some damage numbers! Totally looking forward to this.

Eolz

Sounds better, but still gonna wait on seeing actual gameplay before being really optimistic.
Hopefully that japanese stream will show that along with UI.

That multiplayer still sounds awful though. Same for damage numbers.

Hey guys I know it's a bit early to tell, but I just noticed, this is going to be the first monster hunter game with trophies/achievements. What do you guys think they could be?

Kysen

Finally damage numbers, so damn annoying to have to look up damage charts to see which part of the monster takes the most damage from your gear setup. When every other hunting game just shows you the damage increase. I once blew 50min hunting an ukanlos (ice elder Dino G4) thinking I was doing good damage when in actual fact it was pitiful. Retried the quest and shot only the head, cut the hunt time in half.

nightever

so... is this just another case of them putting a Rathalos on the cover of the non-Japanese version, or is there truly no flagship monster this time around?

Japanese and Asia official webstie don 't have cover, only English website does. Guess we will get flagship monster later.

I have a feeling this game will have the best set of tutorials the series has seen yet.

I agree, personally I feel like the way the game traditionally drops players in and out multiple tutorial missions never felt right and can be jarring for real beginners.

They should stream line it to one tutorial that introduce all the basics like movement controls and traversal mechanics to collecting and harvesting useful material and finally ending with a first hunt.

Obviously the option to skip for veterans will be available.

From there on hunters are free to do whatever they want - explore the new regions, seek new creatures, take on multiple village quests and raise their hunter rank, anything- true freedom!

TheOasis

This is why I think MH4U was the last great MH game. I never like Styles and Arts in X at all. I'm glad that MHW seems to go back to its root.

I'm an enthusiast of action games with deep combat systems so I adored the Styles and Arts because of the versatility and complexity that they brought to the combat. The new movesets and abilities allowed you to approach fighting the same monster in multiple ways, created a plethora of optimal strategies and just generally allowed highly-skilled players to just overpower monsters like a protagonist from a character action game. It might not be true to MH roots but from a purely combat perspective it's insanely good.

I really don't care for these additions at all. Feels like they added those features just to add something. I'm sure they could have come up with better ideas.

MHX/Gen is the kitchen sink of monster hunter games and the only time that the MH team was allowed to go all out on the action game mechanics. It might probably never happen again and deserves at least some appreciation for this aspect of it.

nightever

I wonder why they couldn't make all of that clear when they revealed the game. Nonetheless, this sounds amazing and is exactly what I wanted for the franchise. A proper console-game with modern graphics. And finally some damage numbers! Totally looking forward to this.
People are assuming crazy things based on rumours and it's not Capcom's fault. Most games revealled by a trailer like the MHW one, very little time people will be so overreaction when we only see a reveal trailer .

I'm interested in playing MH: World as someone who has put countless hours into the MH series but it's fundamentally a different game from MHXX. That's why fans like me want MHXX to be localized alongside MH:World. For example:

MHXX has Hunting Styles (Adds Brave Style and Alchemy Style)
2RVqzA.gif

MHXX has Hunter Arts (Super Moves that you fill up a meter to use)
rasenzan.gif.pagespeed.ce.gH51__CHNO.gif

MHXX has Prowlers (Cats) as playble characters
2017022013501847857.gif

A freaking flagship rocket dragon + super boss versions of iconic monsters from the series that are called "Deviants"
DifferentEnragedFulmar-size_restricted.gif

MH: Worlds has none of this and is looking like a more grounded take on the monster hunter concept that doubles down on tracking and stealth which are elements which took a backseat to the more action focus of later games. Then there's the fact that it's not on a portable console and lacks local co-op. It would be truly sad if capcom stopped releasing MH games with the classic formula in the west and ignored the players like myself that still wants this style of game because they sure as hell aren't going to stop making portable entries for the Japanese audience. I think that both World and Portable entries can exist in the same marketplace in the west.
Great post. This diversity in titles is why I just can't believe the west won't see Double Cross at some point in time.

so where's the risk in taking it then?

Taking a potion always had this risk-reward thing... feels like something would be missing without any drawbacks

Dark Souls III was fine despite allowing you to now move while using an Estus Flask (which you consumed more quickly, too). The game just needs to be balanced around the change.

ramyeon

What ARE you talking about? What's different? Drop-in/drop-out is optional and you can STILL party up BEFORE STARTING just like the old games.

I don't understand people.
Everything needs to stay the same, always.

How dare they add options to my Monster Hunter.

so where's the risk in taking it then?

Taking a potion always had this risk-reward thing... feels like something would be missing without any drawbacks

It doesn't mean you can run while taking potions though. Maybe just a slow walk or something like that.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1spuvtg
Dengeki interview translation?
Pretty much confirms this is MH5

*Hunters can change weapons and armor midhunt by going to the Base Camp.
**This feature was added due to there usually being multiple large monsters in an area and from each having a different strength or weakness

Uhh this worries me more than moving while healing

(also the part where it says certain monsters require you to lure another monster into their territory to lure them out, which is not helping my fear that the entire tracking concept idea is going to be a superfluous layer of busywork that feels cool and immersive the first time and then gets old fast)

It also says that the damage numbers were because they actually considered health bars.

Dark Souls III was fine despite allowing you to now move while using an Estus Flask (which you consumed more quickly, too). The game just needs to be balanced around the change.
DSIII also gave you way less Estus to start out with and enemies hit much harder and more aggressively. It and Bloodborne were designed to be much faster games.

Qvoth

Seems like the witcher vision bugs are something that you must own, and there will be an item that can use them before they're usable

Top Bottom