• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter XX Switch Trailer. August 25. Save Transfers. 3DS Cross Play. Bundle.

Meesh

The thing is with Capcom putting all their eggs in one basket is it feels like a huge gamble. In general I think the series sold well on portables... couldn't they maintain both a console and portable series? Especially now when they're balls deep in Worlds development probably and XX is sitting there and could potentially do well for them? Launch both, see which direction is the future is my thought...

EDarkness

I took for granted that Monster Hunter was going to be a stable franchise on the Switch for Nintendo and customers/fans. Clearly that's not the case it seems.

Well, no third party series is safe on any platform. Things can change at any time...unless it's Falcom on Playstation platforms. They'll be there until they go out of business. Ha, ha!!

Rncewind

Oh, I completely agree with all of you. If I actually cared about MHXX after seeing MHW and it being everything I wanted, I'd be disappointed too. Wouldn't be salt at all.

However, there's disappointment, and then there's this:

This is salt. Pure and simple.

yeah ignore them i already remarked this somepeople talking some shit here, see my post above

I thought Switch games aren't region locked? Or is there a lot of text in Monster Hunter?

i mean i speak and write japanese at a veeeery basic level but even if you know the monster Hunter series in out and sometime stil tricky to find out, especially if the game has new systems in place

edit:

I had a pretty rough time getting anywhere in MonHun G for the Wii, even after putting in quite a bit of time (800+ hours) with Freedom Unite & Tri.

basicly this

That's the conclusion I'm coming to right now.

If that's the case then I have the older games and will have to find something to replace it. Assuming Nintendo doesn't end up offering something to fill the void on the Switch in the coming months/years.

I took for granted that Monster Hunter was going to be a stable franchise on the Switch for Nintendo and customers/fans. Clearly that's not the case it seems.

I'd really love to see EPD take a stab at the hunting genre. Nintendo needs their own IP like this.

EDarkness

The thing is with Capcom putting all their eggs in one basket is it feels like a huge gamble. In general I think the series sold well on portables... couldn't they maintain both a console and portable series? Especially now when they're balls deep in Worlds development probably and XX is sitting there and could potentially do well for them? Launch both, see which direction is the future is my thought...

Companies want a piece of that AAA pie. Like I said earlier, it reminds me of the 360/PS3 days. That's where they want to go, so that's where they're headed. You can ride or get off the train, I guess.

That's the conclusion I'm coming to right now.

If that's the case then I have the older games and will have to find something to replace it. Assuming Nintendo doesn't end up offering something to fill the void on the Switch in the coming months/years.

I never took it for granted, I knew they would expand to consoles at some point but never in my wildest dreams did I think XX wouldn't get localized. Sucks because I bought a 3DS to play Generations and 4U (Yes those are the only 3DS games I own) also expecting XX would come out. If this was gonna be the outcome I never would have bothered.

Doopliss

I hope it's not true. For me Monster Hunter is one of the best suited series for the Switch because there's roughly an even split between times when I would want to play in docked or portable mode. For tough battles I want the spectacle of playing on the big screen but when doing quest preparation, crafting equipment, managing gear and item sets, or going on more grindy quests it's preferable to have the flexibility of a handheld and not be tethered to the TV.

I don't think I could enjoy XX properly in Japanese because I already think too much game information has to be looked up externally and adding a language barrier would make it so much worse.

Quadratic

I'm still convinced we'll see XX for the Switch in the West. The bulk of the game has already been translated already and Nintendo did all the marketing for Generations.

Effect

Companies want a piece of that AAA pie. Like I said earlier, it reminds me of the 360/PS3 days. That's where they want to go, so that's where they're headed. You can ride or get off the train, I guess.

A lot of companies end up dying as result of those actions to from what I remember by making gambles they were in no position to make.

Kyoufu

Socksy confirmed there are no plans currently to localise MHXX. They are 100% focused on the next main title, MH World, so if you're hoping to get MHXX in the west any time soon, it's not happening.

But maybe it'll happen sometime after World is out? Who knows.

DooMAGE

I'm still convinced we'll see XX for the Switch in the West. The bulk of the game has already been translated already and Nintendo did all the marketing for Generations.

If this is the case I doubt If ever again Nintendo will help with localization costs.

Meesh

Well... I've imported plenty of MH before, guess I'll be doing that. Still buying Worlds though for PC, it was always a given for me when it was announced. It's just I really wanted that XX localization... I think the best or most hopeful one can be as a fan of the series is I hope more gamers get to experience Mon Hun.

Oregano

Socksy confirmed there are no plans currently to localise MHXX. They are 100% focused on the next main title, MH World, so if you're hoping to get MHXX in the west any time soon, it's not happening.

Remember how I was saying I didn't want them to neglect the other games?

Yeah, this is the type of thing I was talking about.

lyrick

The other guy said there are no announcements, and then repeated "no announcements" way too many times. That doesn't imply what you are saying.

And Socksy also says no current announcements regarding XX, which also doesn't imply what you are saying.

EDarkness

Well... I've imported plenty of MH before, guess I'll be doing that. Still buying Worlds though for PC, it was always a given for me when it was announced. It's just I really wanted that XX localization... I think the best or most hopeful one can be as a fan of the series is I hope more gamers get to experience Mon Hun.

That's all anyone can do, man. It sucks lots of ass, but they're obviously fine with leaving Nintendo fans behind to after new ones. I wish them the best, but honestly, I think they may walk out of this one in a good place.

Effect

I never took it for granted, I knew they would expand to consoles at some point but never in my wildest dreams did I think XX wouldn't get localized. Sucks because I bought a 3DS to play Generations and 4U (Yes those are the only 3DS games I own) also expecting XX would come out. If this was gonna be the outcome I never would have bothered.

Expanding to other systems isn't the problem. Doing so at the expense of the stable market is the WTF for me. I thought it was stable in that if Capcom wanted to make a console versions the Switch would still get it. The Swtich is a hybrid. Both portable market and home console. Capcom would know what the system was in development. They're the ones that supposedly told Nintendo to up the ram. They can't use an excuse that they didn't know what the Switch was during development. If they use that then that's a complete lie.

With that I'm done. Said it before and will say it again. Like many say fuck konami I want to add this to the list.

Fuck Capcom!!

ohlawd

what the fuck

is this what disappointment feels like

oh god I don't even think they'll do shit with XX after World releases either. this is mad disappointing

Fair enough, that post was bad. Hard to tell who you were taking shots at.

Yeah, I wasn't talking about reasonable people just expressing frustration.

I can understand peoples disappointment, even if I don't personally feel any. But when the meltdowns come in hot and heavy, I like to enjoy the show.

The other guy said there are no announcements, and then repeated "no announcements" way too many times. That doesn't imply what you are saying.

It's fairly obvious why he isn't being direct. Capcom hasn't given him the go-ahead to deny its localization, as they don't want any backlash such a statement would cause right now.

El Odio

Banned
Wow, so that's it huh. Fucking great. After pouring +200hrs into generations it would have been nice to just swap my data of but not anymore. I'm not gonna import XX and start all the way over.

lyrick

It's fairly obvious why he isn't being direct. Capcom hasn't given him the go-ahead to deny its localization, as they don't want any backlash such a statement would cause right now.

There's all sorts of business reasons why they would stay mum. Assuming anything concrete one way or the other is a mistake.

JP_

Banned
Expanding to other systems isn't the problem. Doing so at the expense of the stable market is the WTF for me. I thought it was stable in that if Capcom wanted to make a console versions the Switch would still get it. The Swtich is a hybrid. Both portable market and home console. Capcom would know what the system was in development. They're the ones that supposedly told Nintendo to up the ram. They can't use an excuse that they didn't know what the Switch was during development. If they use that then that's a complete lie.

Switch would have been a gamble too. The way I see it, 3DS is getting old so where will it go next? Switch? Or go for the PS4/PC/XBO market? PS4/PC/XBO was probably a safer bet when they were deciding this. I still think it's probably a safer bet. Mobile gaming has changed because of phones.

For you few holdouts, it's time to accept XX's fate in the west

There's no way Capcom is going to bring this to Switch in the west AFTER World launches. Capcom's western branches are 100% focused on World.

Edit - Ah, missed Kyoufu's post. I'm basically repeating what he said.

What do you EXPECT him to say? "Yeah sorry guys, this is some silly off shoot we're doing, don't get excited for it, we've got other games you should be awaiting. By the way I'll just announce it here instead of with any kind of press release."???

Could XX get left behind? Sure, but I won't write it off until the XX Switch Japanese announcement is several months behind us and there's still no word on a western release. Sorry I'm glass is half full.

MegaMelon

For you few holdouts, it's time to accept XX's fate in the west

There's no way Capcom is going to bring this to Switch in the west AFTER World launches. Capcom's western branches are 100% focused on World.

Edit - Ah, missed Kyoufu's post. I'm basically repeating what he said.

I hope they bring over the next traditional mainline monster hunter whenever that releases for switch. If they don't then sadly looks like I'm done with Monster Hunter and Capcom.

What do you EXPECT him to say? "Yeah sorry guys, this is some silly off shoot we're doing, don't get excited for it, we've got other games you should be awaiting. By the way I'll just announce it here instead of with any kind of press release."???

Deep breaths.

It's clear where their focus is.

EDarkness

I hope they bring over the next traditional mainline monster hunter whenever that releases for switch. If they don't then sadly looks like I'm done with Monster Hunter and Capcom.

I'm gonna guess they're banking on this game doing well and if that's the case, you can give up the idea that it's ever coming out on the NS. Probably best to get comfortable with where the game is going. Gonna be a long couple of years....

We normally don't get the Vanilla versions of MH so I when we got Generations I assumed that Generations Ultimate was coming. Sucks. I don't care bout theoretical games but this literally is no effort low risk move. And it's good will.

Lol I'm not mad, more flabbergasted that it's barely been a day and so many here are 100% positive now the game is gone forever.

I'm not positive it's gone forever, but I'm positive it's not a priority for Capcom and its localization fate is probably in Nintendo's hands.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

I don't consider the two decisions to be equal. PSP was essentially dead in the west in late 2011. Switch is just getting started.

tuffy

I'm also in no mood to import MHXX and go through the whole early game again in Japanese. On top of that, there's no way I'll be able convince my local multiplayer buddies to do the same.

So with no new Monster Hunter in the pipeline for me, I guess it's time to hang up my bowguns for good. It with a privilege hunting with so many skilled GAF folks. I'll always remember the fun times and I hope no one will hold all my carts against me.

Two wrongs don't make a right.
It's not a "wrong." It's a calculated business decision to build on their western audience.

Just like moving to the 3DS made more sense from a sales perspective than the Vita.

I bought Nintendo consoles solely for MH. Now people will have to do the same for either a PC, PS4, or XB1.

Ridley327

If it was an entirely new game, I could understand a delay, but we're talking about a game where 75% of it has already been localized. How small are Capcom's localization resources that they couldn't hammer out the rest of it in somewhat short order?

yami4ct

It's not a "wrong." It's a calculated business decision to build on their western audience.

Just like moving to the 3DS made more sense from a sales perspective than the Vita.

I bought Nintendo consoles solely for MH. Now people will have to do the same for either a PC, PS4, or XB1.

It's wrong in the sense that Switch will get further support unlike the PSP and this bodes exceptionally poorly for getting those entries.

Top Bottom