• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moon landing conspiracy and Flat Earth conspiracy theories go here and nowhere else

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weilthain

Banned
Water filters out the light completely when you go down enough in the ocean. Don’t even need to go that far down.

lots of water and other stuff in the atmosphere. 🧐

MetalAlien MetalAlien isn’t it weird that he said that though. He appears to going from the space maths angle that there shouldn’t be a visible curve at that height.
I wonder if he is wrong about people who claim to see the curve from an aeroplane?

Military uses line of sight weapon targeting that wouldn’t work on globe and declassified books state that for the purposes of “getting this shit to work” you must assume , a flat , non moving earth.”

You guys still think a sniper factors in the movement of the earth under their bullets? You really thought that through? If the earth is moving under neath flying objects how does that work with planes?

Space plankton. On the iss. I think I figured out where some of the iss is being filmed guys

Last edited:

Weilthain

Banned
If it was all just a photo op, the Russians wouldn't have conceded to the Americans winning, now would they? They backed up the USA's claim. If they could prove it was fake that would have shamed America into Oblivion. Nah. It was real and people just need to accept that.

I have my ideas about that but that is going into actual conspiracy territory rather than just doing repeatable experiments.

JSoup

Banned
Saw thread title and literal first thought was "Quick, someone make an award winning game about both conspiracies, get the whole gaming community to play it....then make an OT thread in gaming with the title 'WHAT NOW, EVILORE?!'".

I'm super hungry right now.

You guys still think a sniper factors in the moment of the earth under their bullets? You really thought that through? If the earth is moving under neath flying objects how does that work with planes?
Wait, what??? A sniper's bullet is moving with the rotation of the Earth, as are we all (including planes). It's no different to dropping an object on a speeding train. The object won't "fly" to the back of the carriage, it'll land below where you let go of it.

Weilthain

Banned
Wait, what??? A sniper's bullet is moving with the rotation of the Earth, as are we all (including planes). It's no different to dropping an object on a speeding train. The object won't "fly" to the back of the carriage, it'll land below where you let go of it.

You never heard of the coriolis effect?
9aOI5Bo.png

Weilthain

Banned
Remember, the earth is about 14 - 25 miles “fatter” at the equator due to the earths spin literally bulging it out a bit.

The earth itself is being spun so hard it’s bulging.

Nymphae

Banned
The earth itself is being spun so hard it’s bulging.

1000 mph at the equator, and 67, 000 mph around the sun. In that interview I shared with the guy who talks with the astrophysicist, he asks her why there is no detectable acceleration and deceleration due to us rotating 1000 mph while moving at 66,000 mph, and he shows her the video demonstrating this effect, it's a carnival ride that is essentially a witch's hat spinning while going up and down a half pipe. The people spinning on the edge of the witch's hat experience acceleration and deceleration because as they move along the half pipe, the hat rotation makes them go with, then against the main half pipe movement. The astrophysicist had absolutely no response to this and just said "interesting"

Last edited:

Weilthain

Banned
At one point she even has to concede “the model must be wrong” to one of the questions.

I also liked how she called out nasa for misleading people with their cgi pictures that most people think are actually real. That always bugs me!

Nymphae

Banned
At one point she even has to concede “the model must be wrong” to one of the questions.

Yes that was when he asked her why the moon was visible from 2 places on the earth (Sydney and Tennessee) at the same time that shouldn't both be able to see it. She says, well it must be possible if they took these pictures right? He says well when you look at this in Celestia, a solar system modeling software she says she is familiar with, he says when you put this date and time in, the moon is not visible from both of these locations, "so there's a problem somewhere", and that's when she says "the model is wrong" lol

Nymphae

Banned
I think she must have been referring to the software model or something, because she clearly wasn't admitting the globe model was wrong lol. But immediately after that she goes into a mini rant about how "for me, as a scientist, we're always like ok, there's a puzzle, there's observation, which is true data, and the model, which cannot confirm the data, then I'm sorry, the model is wrong" He responds to this with "you would say direct experience is the king?" and she says "yes, absolutely, if this is possible, then the model is wrong", and you can hear the guy grinning lol.

Later on when he's showing her horizon video experiments and curvature talk, she is no longer interested in the puzzle, these observations that don't match a model. She gets angry about it in fact, and goes into shutdown mode once it's clear to her what he's arguing. When he's asking her about why laser experiments 25km over water don't show any evidence of curvature, she is very flustered and says "there are other things to account for, not only claiming oh there's no curvature, you have to account for the shape of the thing where the water is, how it feels, what's the gravity there" lol

Last edited:

Blade2.0

1000 mph at the equator, and 67, 000 mph around the sun. In that interview I shared with the guy who talks with the astrophysicist, he asks her why there is no detectable acceleration and deceleration due to us rotating 1000 mph while moving at 66,000 mph, and he shows her the video demonstrating this effect, it's a carnival ride that is essentially a witch's hat spinning while going up and down a half pipe. The people spinning on the edge of the witch's hat experience acceleration and deceleration because as they move along the half pipe, the hat rotation makes them go with, then against the main half pipe movement. The astrophysicist had absolutely no response to this and just said "interesting"
Because we're in perpetual motion. You don't feel a car going 100mph until you accelerate or decelerate. And if we ever do do that, we're fucked anyways.

Weilthain

Banned
Because we're in perpetual motion. You don't feel a car going 100mph until you accelerate or decelerate. And if we ever do do that, we're fucked anyways.

the earth is accelerating and decelerating in its orbit around the sun. It’s like an oval shape orbit.

If the Earth were to orbit the Sun in a circle, with the Sun as its centre, the Earth's speed around the Sun would be constant. We can think of this as the Earth's average speed. However, because the Earth's orbit is elliptical, the speed of the Earth varies throughout the year.
www.math.nus.edu.sg › sundials › a...
Elliptical Orbit Effect

Weilthain

Banned
Lol, no. Misinform you about things you already know would be better.

This is why all the “smart people” have to shut the conversations down, and keep the shame factor at 110%. They don’t want people actually realising what they think they believe in!

we are all learning from this it’s ok.

Don’t be afraid.

Blade2.0

This is why all the “smart people” have to shut the conversations down, and keep the shame factor at 110%. They don’t want people actually realising what they think they believe in!

we are all learning from this it’s ok.

Don’t be afraid.

Lol. I learned we accelerate and decelerate. Thanks. But the answer is still the same. If you go up from 100 1 mph or down 1 mph, you're barely going to feel it. The size of the Earth is massive. A couple 100 mph here or there isn't going to register on your body. It's simple physics broham.

Weilthain

Banned
Lol. I learned we accelerate and decelerate. Thanks. But the answer is still the same. If you go up from 100 1 mph or down 1 mph, you're barely going to feel it. The size of the Earth is massive. A couple 100 mph here or there isn't going to register on your body. It's simple physics broham.
Cognitive dissonance. You just stated that we are moving at a constant speed and that’s why we don’t feel anything. You said that if there was a change of speed we would be “fucked”

then I educated you that we are in fact changing speeds, and now you say it doesn’t matter.

Let’s do some memes

Last edited:

Blade2.0

Cognitive dissonance. You just stated that we are moving at a constant speed and that’s why we don’t feel anything. You said that if there was a change of speed we would be “fucked”

then I educated you that we are in fact changing speeds, and now you say it doesn’t matter.

Let’s do some memes

Abrupt stops would be fucked. Gradual acceleration and deceleration is no problem. Have you even been on a train or ship? If they stop correctly you barely feel it. Hit another train or ship, though. You'll feel it. Same concept but the body is massively larger

Last edited:

Weilthain

Banned
Abrupt stops would be fucked. Gradual acceleration and deceleration is no problem. Have you even been on a train or ship that? If they stop correctly you barely feel it. Hit another train or ship, though. You'll feel it. Same concept but the body is massively larger

you don’t even know what you believe but will rush to defend it, be corrected, then simply carry on without stopping to think what just happened.

the change in speed isn’t trivial.

Yoshi Yoshi you still stuck on the pizza in space as well? Thought you were smarter than that

Last edited:

MadAnon

the earth is accelerating and decelerating in its orbit around the sun. It’s like an oval shape orbit.

If the Earth were to orbit the Sun in a circle, with the Sun as its centre, the Earth's speed around the Sun would be constant. We can think of this as the Earth's average speed. However, because the Earth's orbit is elliptical, the speed of the Earth varies throughout the year.
www.math.nus.edu.sg › sundials › a...
Elliptical Orbit Effect
This change of speed happens gradually over a long period of time and not in few minutes. You basically expect to feel a car slowly accelerate from 50 mph to 100 mph over a 1 hour? Good luck with that.

Last edited:

Weilthain

Banned
This change of speed happens gradually over a long period of time and not in few minutes. You basically expect to feel a car slowly accelerate from 50 mph to 100 mph over a 1 hour? Good luck with that.
You don’t feel anything ever. The ball is bulging because of the spin, we don’t feel that. The earth is literally speeding up and slowing down, we don’t feel that either.
All this nonsense is happening yet we feel nothing.

many of the ancient structures were built around the celestial bodies lining up perfectly.

thousands of years later they still work perfectly. But we are blasting through space at ridiculous speeds spinning and wobbling yet no change in the stars at all over thousands of years.

its bolllllllooooooccckkkkkks.
I know they say Polaris wasn’t always the North Star. I say bollocks
XYEJMXK.jpg

Last edited:

eot

Banned
I know it's no use to try to convince people with mental health issues or have faulty programming, but, for fun, I just wonder what their counter argument for this is:

Let me guess: Actors, smoke and mirrors?

I'm not a flat Earther, but I work in a laser lab and I think that's not a good demonstration (the helicopter is fine though). If they go three miles out on the lake, then for the laser beam to shift up by 2 meters all it would take is a vertical misalignment of two hundreds of a degree. In terms of precision alignment this is actually not that much, you can do it with a normal kinematic mount without any differential adjusters. However, that's when talking about everything being rigidly mounted to an optical table that is floating on compressed air to damp out vibrations. They're using a laser mounted on what looks like camera tripods, and it's standing on a beach, that's not a stable surface.

Furthermore they don't give any explanation for what they use as a reference for their alignment. What I mean is, how are they sure that the beam is straight? They can't measure it by looking at the beam spot far away, because then they would be assuming the thing they want to measure. This is actually the key point of the whole experiment, and the fact that they don't address it means that the demonstration is pointless, and such "demonstrations" only give fuel to flat Earthers.

There are better ways of doing the experiment, for example setting up two lasers on either side of the lake, measuring the height (not precisely, but a few orders of magnitude more than the expected drop) of both of them, and then aligning them to each other such that they're parallel. Then the laser isn't parallel to the water any more, however you will still see the beam height change as you go across the lake. Specifically, it should change in a way that is symmetric around the half way point between both lasers. This symmetry directly proves the curvature, and eliminates the need for an ultra precise reference.

edit: EviLore EviLore could you move this post to the appropriate thread? Thanks

Last edited:

MadAnon

You don’t feel anything ever. The ball is bulging because of the spin, we don’t feel that. The earth is literally speeding up and slowing down, we don’t feel that either.
All this nonsense is happening yet we feel nothing.

many of the ancient structures were built around the celestial bodies lining up perfectly.

thousands of years later they still work perfectly. But we are blasting through space at ridiculous speeds spinning and wobbling yet no change in the stars at all over thousands of years.

its bolllllllooooooccckkkkkks.
I know they say Polaris wasn’t always the North Star. I say bollocks
XYEJMXK.jpg
I started to write a long explenation but realised I'm wasting my time. When a person wholeheartedly believes 2+2=5 there's no way back.

Weilthain

Banned
M MadAnon

You tried. And you failed. So now you leave.

Or engage in the discussion, stop implying I’m an idiot and just refute my points.

Last edited:

MetalAlien

Banned
This thread should be renamed

“flat earthers educate you about the things you believe in - page 50 you won’t believe this!”
Time to get rude. You have dodged every proof provided. I have listed half a dozen or more easy replicated ways to verify you are on a sphere in the other thread. Not one of which you responded to. You admit you have no way to prove your crazy idea that earth is flat. You have no explanation for the size, shape, origin, reason, mass, function, anything.... nothing at all. You have brought zero reasons for why you believe this other than the government says it's round and they lie so it can't be round....

That's it... your entire religion is based on that one idea. It damn sure isn't a science.

You are a goof and you are wasting everyone's time. Good day sir.

Weilthain

Banned
Time to get rude. You have dodged every proof provided. I have listed half a dozen or more easy replicated ways to verify you are on a sphere in the other thread. Not one of which you responded to. You admit you have no way to prove your crazy idea that earth is flat. You have no explanation for the size, shape, origin, reason, mass, function, anything.... nothing at all. You have brought zero reasons for why you believe this other than the government says it's round and they lie so it can't be round....

That's it... your entire religion is based on that one idea. It damn sure isn't a science.

You are a goof and you are wasting everyone's time. Good day sir.

I’ve said already I don’t know or make claims as to what is.

There are big problems with the globe model and I’ve yet to have these problems addressed in a satisfactory way that isn’t just dodging the questions or appealing to evidence that can’t be verified using the scientific method.

Ive been bringing up all sorts of arguments why I believe the earth may not be as we are told, so saying I’m only calling the government liars is not true.

I don’t claim to have a concrete view of any of this stuff. YOU seem to have total faith in what you believe and you are the one who is defending YOUR religion, not me.

calling me a goof was going too far, that was uncalled for. I’ve always liked you especially because you have unicron as your avatar, the cartoon movie is probably my favourite film ever.

A few issues with apollo.

The original landing iirc there wasn't direct feed the news companies were told to record off of a projection screen, iirc. All original recordings were lost, as was all technology used.

Recently they mentioned they need to develop shielding to protect from van allen belt radiation to go back to the moon. Such development was not done for original apollo program, iirc.

The moon lander always crashed on tests on earth, was called unwieldly, or so is claimed, yet worked on first try on the moon.

There were some occasions when the flag waved with no one touching or nearby on video footage, iirc.

Even now rockets have like a 2~% chance of failure on launch, iirc. That's basically a 1 in 50 odds of dying, which is ridiculous. Completely unacceptable risk, when we have advanced robotics that could be improved if need be to do all the work.

The earth is spherical obviously, but it is conceivable at least some of the apollo landings were faked.

Only the USA and the Russians have the tech to put people into orbit. It's expensive and difficult.
China can't be too far behind though. I hear they have a space station planned.
You realize that with a good telescope you can still see the landers, the rover tracks, and if it’s a BIG telescope HUMAN FOOTPRINTS ...right?
You realize there is something called robotics?
It’s not like there isn’t 4K footage from 60MM film of the actual mission. Like, they actually showed that in theaters this year. And it’s going to win the Oscar for best documentary.
I think for one of the missions some footage was found in someone's personal property recently. But the original footage at nasa was all lost or reused to record other stuff. The telemetry data was also lost, as was all the technology used to go to the moon.

How about a live stream 24/7 from the ISS pointing a camera down to the earth?

The flat earther claim is it cuts frequently, and is never truly 24/7.

Yeah, your body took about 4 years to learn how to just walk in normal G, now, you as a adult, think you can relearn putting in screws in 0G?
There is zero g plane, I don't think it's that hard. You can test it by going in a zero g plane.
If it's known that other planets and celestial objects are spherical...

The flat earther claim is that the planets look like weird wobbly lights through low power telescopes. All other footage of planets and space is claimed to be cgi. The moon and sun are claimed to be spherical. It is ridiculous to claim planets are cgi, as I'm sure high powered telescopes you can go to can easily show you the planets are actually spherical not just wobbly lights.

I think relativity suggests the earth can be taken as stationary or in movement, depending on frame of reference.

So global warming will lead to us all dying of thirst, because all water will flow over the edges of earth? That's even worse than what we green-oriented people have warned about.
Some flat earthers believe there's a dome like a snow globe, so the water can't get out.

Last edited:

MetalAlien

Banned
I’ve said already I don’t know or make claims as to what is.

There are big problems with the globe model and I’ve yet to have these problems addressed in a satisfactory way that isn’t just dodging the questions or appealing to evidence that can’t be verified using the scientific method.

Ive been bringing up all sorts of arguments why I believe the earth may not be as we are told, so saying I’m only calling the government liars is not true.

I don’t claim to have a concrete view of any of this stuff. YOU seem to have total faith in what you believe and you are the one who is defending YOUR religion, not me.

calling me a goof was going too far, that was uncalled for. I’ve always liked you especially because you have unicron as your avatar, the cartoon movie is probably my favourite film ever.
I've found you entertaining but I can't have a discussion with someone who's not going to discuss. You can't (incorrectly I might add) disregard people for not using "scientific method" and then blather on and not use it yourself.

ManaByte

I think for one of the missions some footage was found in someone's personal property recently. But the original footage at nasa was all lost or reused to record other stuff. The telemetry data was also lost, as was all the technology used to go to the moon.

Please tell me you don’t really believe that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom