• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Mass Effect 3 DLC Leaks - Earth multiplayer pack, Extended Cut gets description

Hope the Earth multiplayer expansion is free as the other two have been.

I'm sure it will be. The influx of people buying item packs to get at all the new stuff probably makes them more money than charging six bucks for the DLC would.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm sure it will be. The influx of people buying item packs to get at all the new stuff probably makes them more money than charging six bucks for the DLC would.

On the first day of the 2nd Multiplayer DLC, i saw some guy with the new Ultra-Rare weapon at rank X, not to mention one of the new gold weapon also at X. Either he had millions and millions of ingame credits gathered or he wasted a lot of real money until he got those at the max rank.

But if these people make the content free, i'm not gonna complain, especially in a co-op game.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
They wouldn't dare charging us for DLC after the end game fiasco

The ending DLC is free exactly because of that, and the multiplayer DLC is free because they get all the money they need from people who buy packs with real money.

But you can be sure that if they ever do a real single player DLC later, it will not be free.

LOL people are still bitching about the ending??

"ooooh it ruined all the previous games for me!"
"ill never buy another bioware product again!"

Game was fantastic - good scores all around, great multiplayer, lovely soundtrack and fun game. Keep complaining.

No it wasn't, the thing that became a debacle is the outrage over it, it was by far the most ridiculous part of the whole thing and it's pretty much the same that we see in every mass effect thread.

The ending wasn't perfect but it wasn't that bad either.

The ending controversy made me really confused once I finally got a chance to play it about a month after release. I didn't understand that outrage. Then I read/saw the FANTASTIC Indoctrination Theory and I understood a little more considering the seeming plot holes, but I'll never understand the below thinking ...

When 99% of the trilogy depends on previous decisions made during nearly 100 hours of gameplay and the last 1% is a "Lol, Fuck your past decisions", it's pretty understandable why people would be upset. If the ending DLC can actually show what some of my past decisions did, i'll be happy enough. Even if the stupid
Starchild
is still there.

While it's definitely smoke and mirrors as to how much our decisions make a difference (Bioware is still controlling the story completely), it's naive to jump on this at the very end after it's been clear what your decisions have done up to that point.

In reality, NONE of the ME games have had final decisions that were impacted by what you've done previously in the game or games.

ME:
Choosing to save the Council or not has no bearing on what you did previously at all. Neither does who you choose to represent humanity on the Council.

ME2:
What you choose to do with the Collector Base has nothing to do with what you've done previously in the game. You could be a jerk to the Illusive Man the whole game and then decide to give him the base, even though that didn't fit with anything you've done previously.

ME3: SAME. THING.

Kill Wrex in the first game, let the Council live or die, destroy the Rachni, destroy Maleon's data, reprogram the Geth, have Tali or Garrus die in the Suicide Mission
... while they all mattered in little ways in the way the story was told, in the big scheme they only played out different in very slight ways (different dialogue or characters involved).

So just drop this whole OUR DECISIONS DIDN'T MATTER IN THE END, because you're ignoring how little they mattered in the grand story to begin with.

Still, best series this gen and an unforgettable epic of the grandest fashion. Arguably my favorite gaming series ever, and I've been playing since Pong. I sure hope the DLC not only is worthwhile, but it would be especially rewarding if it is at all a confirmation of the brilliant observations found in the Indoctrination Theory. What an amazing twist that would end up being.

Hero

The ending controversy made me really confused once I finally got a chance to play it about a month after release. I didn't understand that outrage. Then I read/saw the FANTASTIC Indoctrination Theory and I understood a little more considering the seeming plot holes, but I'll never understand the below thinking ...

While it's definitely smoke and mirrors as to how much our decisions make a difference (Bioware is still controlling the story completely), it's naive to jump on this at the very end after it's been clear what your decisions have done up to that point.

In reality, NONE of the ME games have had final decisions that were impacted by what you've done previously in the game or games.

ME:
Choosing to save the Council or not has no bearing on what you did previously at all. Neither does who you choose to represent humanity on the Council.

ME2:
What you choose to do with the Collector Base has nothing to do with what you've done previously in the game. You could be a jerk to the Illusive Man the whole game and then decide to give him the base, even though that didn't fit with anything you've done previously.

ME3: SAME. THING.

Kill Wrex in the first game, let the Council live or die, destroy the Rachni, destroy Maleon's data, reprogram the Geth, have Tali or Garrus die in the Suicide Mission
... while they all mattered in little ways in the way the story was told, in the big scheme they only played out different in very slight ways (different dialogue or characters involved).

So just drop this whole OUR DECISIONS DIDN'T MATTER IN THE END, because you're ignoring how little they mattered in the grand story to begin with.

Still, best series this gen and an unforgettable epic of the grandest fashion. Arguably my favorite gaming series ever, and I've been playing since Pong. I sure hope the DLC not only is worthwhile, but it would be especially rewarding if it is at all a confirmation of the brilliant observations found in the Indoctrination Theory. What an amazing twist that would end up being.

The fuck? So because ME->ME2 had bare minimum differences based on your decisions people should've expected the same thing for ME3, despite everyone from the company involved with the game saying the contrary since its announcement?

What color is the Kool-Aid that you're drinking? Red, green or blue?

The fuck? So because ME->ME2 had bare minimum differences based on your decisions people should've expected the same thing for ME3, despite everyone from the company involved with the game saying the contrary since its announcement?

What color is the Kool-Aid that you're drinking? Red, green or blue?

Tried all three, but they didn't taste all that different. But as a regular Kool-Aid drinker, that didn't surprise me. ;)

ME1 and ME2's final decisions were thematically consistent with what the games had been asking you to consider previously. ME3's was not.

There's a host of other problems with the game too (it's NOT "99% great outside of the ending").

Also indoctrination theory has all but officially been shot down, if they put it into the EC (they won't) then it would be a tremendous and terrible cop-out.

There's a host of other problems with the game too (it's NOT "99% great outside of the ending").

Yep I can agree with that, I am sick of seeing stuff like "oh 99% of it was great" or "it was just the last 10 minutes that were bad". The game falls apart completely at the end of the
Thessia
level, that is where the rot sets in and it gets more stupid and ridiculous as it goes on climaxing in the crappiest ending that humanity has ever had to suffer.

That is before you touch on the stupid "stalker" fetch quests, the lack of any side missions outside the crappy mp levels with bots the over use of auto dialogue. In my view ME 3 was the worst of the series. The only reason these problems are not being highlighted more is down to the ending which has blindsided everyone from all the other defects in the game.

ME1 and ME2's final decisions were thematically consistent with what the games had been asking you to consider previously. ME3's was not.

Also indoctrination theory has all but officially been shot down, if they put it into the EC (they won't) then it would be a tremendous and terrible cop-out.

Thematically consistent, eh? How so where this wasn't? The final decision in this had to do with stopping the Reapers from destroying all advanced organic life in the galaxy. Even though it was executed in a way that we didn't see coming (how dare they surprise us), it's about as thematically relevant as anything in the series since we first met Sovereign.

So you're saying the game isn't perfect? Eh ... ok.

As for the The Indoctrination Theory (or TIT for short .... *ahem*), do you have a quote of it being officially shot down? There is enough ambiguity with what we got and enough undeniable evidence for it that it being a possibility definitely real. Will we get clarification of that? Maybe, maybe not. But there is nothing that definitively in the game says "No, it's not true."

Of course the Expanded DLC could mess everything up in the end ...

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Yep I can agree with that, I am sick of seeing stuff like "oh 99% of it was great" or "it was just the last 10 minutes that were bad". The game falls apart completely at the end of the
Thessia
level, that is where the rot sets in and it gets more stupid and ridiculous as it goes on climaxing in the crappiest ending that humanity has ever had to suffer.

That is before you touch on the stupid "stalker" fetch quests, the lack of any side missions outside the crappy mp levels with bots the over use of auto dialogue. In my view ME 3 was the worst of the series. The only reason these problems are not being highlighted more is down to the ending which has blindsided everyone from all the other defects in the game.

QFT. the game is mediocre... should have been an MP spin off.

Thematically consistent, eh? How so where this wasn't? The final decision in this had to do with stopping the Reapers from destroying all advanced organic life in the galaxy. Even though it was executed in a way that we didn't see coming (how dare they surprise us), it's about as thematically relevant as anything in the series since we first met Sovereign.

Mass Effect 1 dealt with humanity's role in the galaxy and whether you would be a hero who did things morally or would get the job done by any means necessary. The final decision played into that.

Mass Effect 2 put you into a morally ambiguous situation (one that I actually thought was handled very poorly, but I digress) with Cerberus and the final decision, again, asked you whether you would go things your way or accept the Cerberus logic that they were "the only way" to stop the Reapers.

Mass Effect 3 introduces a problem in the last 10 minutes (that you thought the series dismissed as an actual problem a game or two ago) and asks you to either do the thing you thought you were already going to do but with a contrived bad side-effect, or one of two things that you were pretty sure you debunked as Bad Ideas over the course of the last 3 games but are now suddenly supposed to be good.

As for the The Indoctrination Theory (or TIT for short .... *ahem*), do you have a quote of it being officially shot down? There is enough ambiguity with what we got and enough undeniable evidence for it that it being a possibility definitely real. Will we get clarification of that? Maybe, maybe not. But there is nothing that definitively in the game says "No, it's not true."

Of course the Expanded DLC could mess everything up in the end ...

I said "all but officially." Behind the scenes stuff shows no indication that it was ever intended to be anything but what you were shown on screen, and BioWare seems to stand by that ending shown on screen, while giving half-hearted "well you guys sure are imaginative!" kudos to IT proponents. Thinking otherwise would imply that BW released a game with no actual ending and then sat on the real ending for 4-5 months for no reason except for a hackneyed cheap plot twist.

Mass Effect 1 dealt with humanity's role in the galaxy and whether you would be a hero who did things morally or would get the job done by any means necessary. The final decision played into that.

Mass Effect 2 put you into a morally ambiguous situation (one that I actually thought was handled very poorly, but I digress) with Cerberus and the final decision, again, asked you whether you would go things your way or accept the Cerberus logic that they were "the only way" to stop the Reapers.

Mass Effect 3 introduces a problem in the last 10 minutes (that you thought the series dismissed as an actual problem a game or two ago) and asks you to either do the thing you thought you were already going to do but with a contrived bad side-effect, or one of two things that you were pretty sure you debunked as Bad Ideas over the course of the last 3 games but are now suddenly supposed to be good.

You really don't see what you'er doing there, do you? You simplified the theme for the first 2 games and complicated it for the last. THE theme of ME3 is stopping the Reapers. No new problem was introduced, only 3 ways of stopping them. But, as with the endings of all 3 games, there are positive and negative consequences to whatever decision you make. You personally not liking the decisions presented doesn't make them thematically inconsistent.

I said "all but officially." Behind the scenes stuff shows no indication that it was ever intended to be anything but what you were shown on screen, and BioWare seems to stand by that ending shown on screen, while giving half-hearted "well you guys sure are imaginative!" kudos to IT proponents. Thinking otherwise would imply that BW released a game with no actual ending and then sat on the real ending for 4-5 months for no reason except for a hackneyed cheap plot twist.

Ah, so you know as a fact it was never considered because of the behind the scenes information that has been released. Yes, because EVERYTHING about the game has been made public, I see. Well that's that ............ /sarcasm.

Rapstah

Ah, so you know as a fact it was never considered because of the behind the scenes information that has been released. Yes, because EVERYTHING about the game has been made public, I see. Well that's that ............ /sarcasm.

Ridiculous. The actual paper on which Mac Walters came up with the concept of the ending has been released.

You really don't see what you'er doing there, do you? You simplified the theme for the first 2 games and complicated it for the last. THE theme of ME3 is stopping the Reapers. No new problem was introduced, only 3 ways of stopping them. But, as with the endings of all 3 games, there are positive and negative consequences to whatever decision you make. You personally not liking the decisions presented doesn't make them thematically inconsistent.

Wrong.

1) The theme of ME3 is indeed stopping the Reapers. But the conflict, as with ME1 and ME2, is how you do it: trying to find a high road, or taking what help you can get by any means necessary and cutting loose anyone who stands in your way. The ending choice doesn't reflect that. There isn't say,
a choice between saving the Earth and saving the whole galaxy, or sacrificing entire species to save humans, or anything of the sort.

2) Yes, there is a new problem introduced:
the idea that synthetics will always try to destroy all organics, which has been thoroughly debunked throughout the games and never the main issue of the games until the very end
. The ending choices are presented to you by
the Catalyst
as EXPLICITLY about solving that problem, with "stopping the Reapers" as a secondary concern.

Wrong.

1) The theme of ME3 is indeed stopping the Reapers. But the conflict, as with ME1 and ME2, is how you do it: trying to find a high road, or taking what help you can get by any means necessary and cutting loose anyone who stands in your way. The ending choice doesn't reflect that. There isn't say,
a choice between saving the Earth and saving the whole galaxy, or sacrificing entire species to save humans, or anything of the sort.

the idea that synthetics will always try to destroy all organics, which has been thoroughly debunked throughout the games and never the main issue of the games until the very end
the Catalyst
as EXPLICITLY about solving that problem, with "stopping the Reapers" as a secondary concern.

You're doing it wrong--you paid attention!

Sadly, some people will never leave the denial phase--you can't help them.

I seem to be stuck at anger...

Wrong.

the Catalyst

1) You're doing it again. You're attacking the choices as what you would not have done when you said it was thematically different. Don't change your point in the middle of making it. The theme was stopping the Reapers. You agreed to that. So it IS thematically consistent. Also, how you can you say the 3 things you mentioned are not represented in the three choices given??? That's exactly what they are! The high road is the MIDDLE choice, the taking what help you can get by any means necessary is the LEFT choice and cutting loose anyone who stands in your way is the RIGHT (directional ... but that could be argued ...). Do you really not see what you just did there???

2) The conflict is between the organic races of th galaxy and Reapers. Organics vs. Reapers. How is this a new problem???

People really, REALLY want to be mad about this no matter what. What are you REALLY angry about, because this just feels like projecting?

I was really ticked off about the whole face import thing and HATED Bioware for screwing that up. But once they fixed it, I was all good. People just cannot let this go, though. This thread is full of people saying they just don't care anymore. Yet the fact they're here saying that says that they do! I'm just not understanding this ...

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
1) You're doing it again. You're attacking the choices as what you would not have done when you said it was thematically different. Don't change your point in the middle of making it. The theme was stopping the Reapers. You agreed to that. So it IS thematically consistent. Also, how you can you say the 3 things you mentioned are not represented in the three choices given??? That's exactly what they are! The high road is the MIDDLE choice, the taking what help you can get by any means necessary is the LEFT choice and cutting loose anyone who stands in your way is the RIGHT (directional ... but that could be argued ...). Do you really not see what you just did there???

The themes of ME1 and 2 as taken through the differing Paragon/Renegade inputs was either stopping the Reapers at the cost of everyone other than humans and humanity, or playing the peacemaker in an attempt (that should not have worked out as well as it did in most regards) to get everyone in the galaxy on humanity's side and fight for the greater good.

That is not how ME3's ending occurs, or at least, without high levels of stretching things out to categorize them as similar. The previous leaked ending of the "old" endgame had
the endings as either telling the reapers to fuck off and let the universe try to stop dark energy on their own, or sacrifice humanity to form the 'uber' reaper to try and put a stop to the ever growing dark energy
That is much more in line with the central thematic 'choices' in the ME games, though far from perfect.

Edit: The middle is NOT the "high road", the left is arguably the "peacemaker route" (if it even works), and the right is supposedly the humanity first option, though all choices translate into barely any variation of your endgame that is "shown", not left for interpretation/left out for speculation. Even though ME1 and 2's endgame choices translated into almost no variation in the grand scheme of things, they felt and looked thematically different from each other with what information was given to the viewer/player.

2) The conflict is between the organic races of th galaxy and Reapers. Organics vs. Reapers. How is this a new problem???

Reapers are not specifically classified as "synthetic", especially in ME2 and 3. The strong ties to the Geth are there in ME1 which leads to that association in the Reapers, but Legion's story in ME2 and 3 strongly dissociate the reapers from being purely synthetic, only for that to reappear at the very end of ME3 as (spoiler, lol)
agents of the catalyst

The themes of ME1 and 2 as taken through the differing Paragon/Renegade inputs was either stopping the Reapers at the cost of everyone other than humans and humanity, or playing the peacemaker in an attempt (that should not have worked out as well as it did in most regards) to get everyone in the galaxy on humanity's side and fight for the greater good.

That is not how ME3's ending occurs, or at least, without high levels of stretching things out to categorize them as similar. The previous leaked ending of the "old" endgame had
the endings as either telling the reapers to fuck off and let the universe try to stop dark energy on their own, or sacrifice humanity to form the 'uber' reaper to try and put a stop to the ever growing dark energy
That is much more in line with the central thematic 'choices' in the ME games, though far from perfect.

Edit: The middle is NOT the "high road", the left is arguably the "peacemaker route" (if it even works), and the right is supposedly the humanity first option, though all choices translate into barely any variation of your endgame that is "shown", not left for interpretation/left out for speculation. Even though ME1 and 2's endgame choices translated into almost no variation in the grand scheme of things, they felt and looked thematically different from each other with what information was given to the viewer/player.

Several things here:

1) That was the unenlightened theme of the first game. Your character (and humanity) grew throughout the series. That view was what ultimately definied Cerberus and the last two games helped to contrast why Cerberus was different that the rest of humanity. Particularly after the first game, Renegade =/= Human Supremacist.

2) The ending you mentioned wasn't the leaked ending. That was something that original head writer for ME1 and 2 Drew Karpyshyn discussed as his idea of how things could've ended. Its actually farther off, because it casts the Reapers in a completely different light than the unknowable evil they were. The fact that people embrace that is nuts because on of the biggest complaints about the end as it is how it came out of nowhere. THAT would've come out of nowhere!

3) I can't see how controlling the Reapers is considered more of a peacemaker route than synthesis. But I do understand and agree with the complaint that the way the endings are presented is too similar. That was somewhat disappointing (even though the 4th/'worst' ending is uniquely harrowing in its bleakness).

Reapers are not specifically classified as "synthetic", especially in ME2 and 3. The strong ties to the Geth are there in ME1 which leads to that association in the Reapers, but Legion's story in ME2 and 3 strongly dissociate the reapers from being purely synthetic, only for that to reappear at the very end of ME3 as (spoiler, lol)
agents of the catalyst

That's not how I remember it. Geth saw them as more of an EXTREMELY advanced synthetic compared to themselves. ME2 made it clear that Reapers are built from processed organics, but to say they are not synthetic is quite the stretch.

I seriously think you did not pay attention at all to what actually happened in ME3, or what I said. Holy shit.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Several things here:

1) That was the unenlightened theme of the first game. Your character (and humanity) grew throughout the series. That view was what ultimately definied Cerberus and the last two games helped to contrast why Cerberus was different that the rest of humanity. Particularly after the first game, Renegade =/= Human Supremacist.

Uh, Renegade Shep in ME2 is quite an asshole. It's been a long time since my renegade playthrough, but if nothing else, giving the IM the Collector base pretty much screams Humans first, that we should be the ones to lead the new reaper-free galaxy with our dominant technology. The problem with ME2 is that a lot of the "morality" choices were relegated to character side missions and smaller things, instead of relating to ME1's thematic choices.

ME3 renegade is about sacrificing attachments/friends or potential unknown possibilities that could lead to dire situations down the timeline for the "good" of the greater galaxy.

2) The ending you mentioned wasn't the leaked ending. That was something that original head writer for ME1 and 2 Drew Karpyshyn discussed as his idea of how things could've ended. Its actually farther off, because it casts the Reapers in a completely different light than the unknowable evil they were. The fact that people embrace that is nuts because on of the biggest complaints about the end as it is how it came out of nowhere. THAT would've come out of nowhere!

Oh, I thought it still was in the leaked ending. Will have to go find that again. On the 2nd point, to be fair, ME3's plot would have been quite different and probably played up the Dark Energy aspect a lot more i.e. Haestrom from ME2 if that had been the planned endgame.

3) I can't see how controlling the Reapers is considered more of a peacemaker route than synthesis. But I do understand and agree with the complaint that the way the endings are presented is too similar. That was somewhat disappointing (even though the 4th/'worst' ending is uniquely harrowing in its bleakness).

The middle ending is a parody of "free will/choice." If everyone
is the same i.e. cyborg
, how could there be fighting? Easy, just because everyone's similar doesn't prevent either synthetics from still appearing in the future or from having the current species fighting in the future, at least, with all the scant info that we have on such a process in the universe itself.

That's not how I remember it. Geth saw them as more of an EXTREMELY advanced synthetic compared to themselves. ME2 made it clear that Reapers are built from processed organics, but to say they are not synthetic is quite the stretch.

They're only synthetic in the sense
that they are a machine-like collective of intelligence with advanced technology.
The middle implies, at least to me, that
since everyone is now like them, there is no need to purge organics, since there aren't any "pure" organics in the entire universe.

MechaX

The fact that people embrace that is nuts because on of the biggest complaints about the end as it is how it came out of nowhere. THAT would've come out of nowhere!

Not really, since ME2 hinted around that like crazy.

"Synthetics will inevitably rise up to destroy organics" is a completely new problem when considering what Saren went through with Sovereign and how the Geth have always been made to look like the victims as soon as you even got Legion in ME2.

Also the planned motivation would have actually tied into the title of the series and the very basis of the ME setting, and not just one particular theme out of many that was seemingly already resolved in many players' playthroughs.

Top Bottom