• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More movie like the goonies?

Any more movies like the goonies you guys recommend?

As a kid I used to love that movie,
I've always wanted to go on adventures with my friends (and I did)

but I never came across a movie like that again.

Some come close like super 8 or the tv series stranger things on netflix.

So, any other movies like this?

foxdvd

There are many great movies that are better than the Goonies that came out in the 80's. E.T.....Star Wars...ect...but NO movie captures the 80's for me like The Goonies. It is the first movie I took a date to...and every time I watch it it makes me feel good inside...

SeanC

Monster Squad
ET
The Explorers
The Lost Boys
Super 8
Fright Night
The Sandlot
Stand By Me
Honey I Shrunk the Kids
The Wizard

Some are more teens but I get that "Goonie feeling" from these.

airjoca

E.T.
Flight of The Navigator
Honey, I Shrunk The Kids
The Last Starfighter
The NeverEnding Story
Hook

There's nothing quite like The Goonies.

BTails

I love 80s kids adventure movies. The Gate is a good one, though it starts to delve a bit TOO far into "Horror" category as well.

I thought the animated movie Monster House that came out around 10 years ago was a good return to that style. It's a shame the movie didn't do so well, as it was a decent family flick.

btrboyev

The Outsiders, they are a bit older but has the same kind of feel to it

How? There isn't one remotely similar thing about them. You are comparing a greaser movie where a gang of dudes fight each other to a movie with a bunch of kids who who go hunt for a treasure being chased by criminals.

i would suggest like The Princess Bride or Willow.

sure it's not 80's suburbia, but it sounds like you're looking for adventure. and those are two solid 80's adventure movies

Also, The Sandlot.

50s-60s Suburbia. group of kids have an "adventure" to get their "treasure" back.

could try Gremlins and Back to the Future too.... but i think those steer a bit too far from what you want specifically...

SeanC

Loved Explorers as a kid, not sure if it would still hold up today though

Yeah, it kind of doesn't in the third act. Up until then, though, I still kinda love it.

Not sure if it qualifies because it spends a lot of time with adults too, but "IT" is certainly in the vibe. It doesn't hold up really well, it's made for TV, but it's kind of close.

Edit: Someone mentioned The Last Starfighter, another one I'd include certainly. It doesn't hold up at all but it's incredibly nostalgic and wish-fulfillment for teenage video game dreams. Wargames too.

EulaCapra

Besides Super 8 and Stranger Things...

Zathura
Gremlins
Earth to Echo maybe?
The Adventures of Tintin (animated adventure)

Stand by Me
It
Monster Squad
Dreamcatcher
Sandlot
The Explorers
Goosebumps
Hocus Pocus
The Mighty Ducks
The Neverending Story
Red Dawn (original)
Toy Soldiers