• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More movie like the goonies?

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
E.T. and Super 8 spring to mind.

Also Stranger Things, but that's not a movie.

Monster House is animated, from 2006, but did a really nice job capturing that "80s kids movie" feel, I thought. I even watched it recently on cable and held up.

220px-Go_Kids_DVD_Cover.jpg

Also known as Frog Dreaming and The Quest.

GreekWolf

Goonies a terrible movie? That's a first

Eh, it has it's charming moments but more than a few dubious 80's relics. All the fat kid and racial jokes didn't age that well, tbh.

Spielberg was much better with this in Hook, even if the story was all over the place.

Hari Seldon

Lol I recently rewatched Monster Squad after not watching it for oh 20+ years. I cannot believe the shit I used to watch as a kid. The answer to bullying is to find a bigger bully. Kids peeping into windows at girls undressing. I think the one kid is smoking at one point. God damn hahahaha.

Patrick S.

Banned
I watched this in the theater as a kid, scared me shitless. In Germany it's called "Joey". Highly recommended little gem.

51XW6RA3G3L.jpg

(Holy crap, is the American poster for it ugly)

Bitanator

Gold Diggers: The Secret of Bear Mountain

Christina Ricci and Anna Chlumsky. The movie is dogshit but I have nostalgia for it becasue i watched it as a kid

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
Honestly I never was crazy about adventures in babysitting. It has it's moments, but it's not a classic.

just the poster alone invokes adventure..is this a good movie?

One of my favorites. If you haven't seen it, you're in for a treat. I did also enjoy the modern remake, The Sitter, with Jonah Hill and Sam Rockwell.

--

Also, being that Heavyweights was mentioned here, it would be a crime not to mention CAMP NOWHERE.

517EYGECHNL.jpg

Related, but maybe someone can help me with this: There's some movie I have never been able to remember that is loosely in this vein (kids adventure / coming of age). An older cousin and I rented it way back.

It's about two towns of kids (might be British) that are bitter rivals for some reason. They antagonize each other and get into various fights / battles. There is, inevitably, some group of girls that both are interested in? There's a definite forest feature involved and they end up doing some dares at some point? I feel like I may of dreamt it at this point, lol.

Anyway, yeah, Goonies is a tough act to follow. One move I always loved that had a sweet adventure theme was DuckTales the Movie: Treasure of the Lost Lamp :)

DiscoJer

I really like The Gate. The end is perhaps a bit formulaic, but it's really a great depiction of kids life in the 1980s.

Less a gang of friends than a boy, his best friend, his sister, and her two friends. But still.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Related, but maybe someone can help me with this: There's some movie I have never been able to remember that is loosely in this vein (kids adventure / coming of age). An older cousin and I rented it way back.

It's about two towns of kids (might be British) that are bitter rivals for some reason. They antagonize each other and get into various fights / battles. There is, inevitably, some group of girls that both are interested in? There's a definite forest feature involved and they end up doing some dares at some point? I feel like I may of dreamt it at this point, lol.

Anyway, yeah, Goonies is a tough act to follow. One move I always loved that had a sweet adventure theme was DuckTales the Movie: Treasure of the Lost Lamp :)

War of the Buttons?

sphinx

the piano man
Stand by Me like The Goonies???

what the hell are you people smoking,

Goonies is about awesome adventures with your friends, Stand by Me is all negative and obscure, is a drama movie through and through

game-boi

Monster Squad and The Gate are the true best answers here. Both are made around the same time and closest in terms of "friendship" sensibility, even if The Gate goes for more horror than adventure.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
Stand by Me like The Goonies???

what the hell are you people smoking,

Goonies is about awesome adventures with your friends, Stand by Me is all negative and obscure, is a drama movie through and through

City of God is more Goonies like than Stand By Me.

E.T, Monster Squad, Flight of the Navigator, Radio Flyer, Gremlins, Honey I Shrunk the Kids.

Some of those are a stretch but I think they're the best candidates.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Fuck yes, thank you! lol, that's totally it.

RottenTomatoes says, "There are no critic reviews yet for War of the Buttons. Keep checking Rotten Tomatoes for updates!"

Classic.

Well it came out before reviews being online was a thing, let alone review aggregate sites.

Top Bottom