• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More than anything, Breath of the Wild feels like the direct evolution of Wind Waker

Shaanyboi

Banned
One of my fondest memories of playing Wind Waker was during a relatively scripted sequence about a third of the way through the story. The game turns to night, the clouds become stormy, and you're tasked with making your way across to different points on the map to continue the plot. On the journey back towards my home island, I suppose I had strayed off the intended path from what was intended as an enormous Octorok emerged from the waters and I was slowly pulled in towards it by a whirlpool. I didn't expect this to happen, and I didn't know it could happen. But... it was happening! It was an accidental sequence that i'd just bumped into, but with the mood of the story already so thick at that point in the game, I was convinced this was an intentional boss fight. Instead, the Great Sea's own dangers interacted with me in a moment of emergent gameplay that couldn't have been better timed.

gfs_336996_2_1.jpg

I remember being fully onboard with Wind Waker since its unveiling. The art style was bold, there were a host of cool new mechanics, and there was just so much potential. Also, it was Zelda. What I didn't expect was setting the game in the vast ocean, and just how much that changed the experience. The worlds in the N64 games were so tailored around the progression of your abilities, Wind Waker ended up feeling like the first true step towards the open world Zelda in 3D. While your ability to interact with the various islands was obviously limited by your tools, you atleast felt like you could sail around and see everything.

Even away from the actual islands though, the ocean really sold its sense of place. Whether it was being attacked by sharks, coming across enemy watchtowers, or even stumbling across a fucking ghost ship, it all sold a perfect feeling of adventure. Wind Waker was not without its problems, but it never failed with its world. With so much to find (or miss), along with it came so much to explore.

But it goes beyond its overworld. Wind Waker introduced a ton of mechanics that evolved its predecessors' core. Dedicated stealth mechanics, opening the game with a pseudo-dungeon without your sword. Even the combat was improved, not just in its movement, but in its tactics. I remember picking up a slain enemy's weapon and being amazed. I remember a rush of possibilities going through my head, thinking "Well what if I could sheathe an enemy's weapon for myself? How many other weapons could there be?!" Sadly, this element wasn't really developed, but it nevertheless laid the groundwork for my imagined "perfect Zelda." My friends and I were largely crazy about Diablo 2 at the time, and I began picturing a blend of Zelda's sense of adventure with Diablo's ability to let the player obsess over the minutia of their skills and weapons.

5165.WiiU_5F00_WindWakerHD_5F00_082113_5F00_Scrn08.jpg_2D00_610x0.jpg

These evolutions only made the disappointment of Twilight Princess all the more disheartening. Not only was the game so strictly linear, its world was ultimately a waste. Its overworld was mostly empty, with little to find or do. It never really sold its setting or your place in it. Mechanics introduced in Wind Waker were dropped and many of Twilight Princess' own great ideas went unfulfilled in comparison to their potential.

In many obvious ways, Twilight Princess is the spiritual successor to Ocarina of Time, only with many more technical advancements and with a blatant intent to ape popular fantasy films of the time ("Hey, this Lord of the Rings thing seems popular..."). A proposed "Wind Waker 2" from an official Nintendo briefing ultimately ended up being nothing more than suggestion. While Wind Waker's characters and art style did live on through the DS games, none of its key concepts carried forward. Back on console, Skyward Sword managed to be even more linear than before, while being its own bizarre thing in the grand scheme of the franchise.

This is what makes Breath of the Wild so interesting. When Nintendo gave its massive E3 focus on the new game last year, the drastic shift in direction clearly left an impression, but it's only just now that I feel capable of being able to articulate why:

Breath of the Wild feels the first true sequel to the gameplay of Wind Waker

Aside from "Link on a horse, in a field," the game seems to share so many concepts that originated in Wind Waker. Picking up dropped weapons returns, however the game instead wholly embraces it as a key resource as you make your way through the game. For the first time in almost 15 years, the world in a console Zelda game can feel open (in no small part thanks to Link Between Worlds and the popularity of games like Skyrim). There's a re-emerged focus on stealth, so much so that there's a noise meter on your default HUD.

But most importantly, I feel, the game looks to want to re-establish a naturalistic connection between you and the environment. Taking wind into consideration with how you might approach an enemy outpost. Finding food, and campsites. Noticing the natural features of your environment to help you explore.

Or stumbling onto a boss in the overworld, entirely by accident...

1990149_0.jpg

The joy I felt in Wind Waker didn't just derive from its style, its traditional Zelda gameplay, or its personality. The joy I felt was getting lost. Every new island was a mystery being uncovered, and moving towards the horizon would make 14-year old Shaanyboi completely lose himself in the possibilities.

It may be really easy and reductive to summarize everything I've posted as "Yo, I'm really excited for Breath of the Wild, guys." And... I mean it's not inaccurate. But the key difference is that while I've still managed to enjoy my time with most of the Zelda games to come out since 2003, I feel like this is the first real evolution of Zelda I've been waiting to see for almost 14 years. And I can't wait to get lost again.

TL;DR - yo I'm really excited for Breath of the Wild. Also it has alot of similarities to Wind Waker. Pce.

Also when the fuck do we get a spiritual sequel to Majora's Mask. Come on, Nintendo.

It feels pretty far from Wind Waker to me. I'd put it conceptually closest to Skyward Sword, especially in regards to free form item usage and versatility. And of course stamina bars.

Maybe if the giant world is empty with just a few points of interest and swarms of annoying peahats it'd be more like Wind Waker.

Magnus

Agreed wholeheartedly. I fell off the Zelda train after Ocarina, which, for all its wins, felt like a retread of ALttP in so many ways for me. Wind Waker grabbed me, big time. Loved it to death, even with its crazy ass Triforce hunt. Couldn't get through Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword, and now, I'm feeling a huge pull towards this new game, Breath of the Wild. I'll be there, day one, on the Switch.

It feels pretty far from Wind Waker to me. I'd put it conceptually closest to Skyward Sword, especially in regards to free form item usage and versatility. And of course stamina bars.

Maybe if the giant world is empty with just a few points of interest and swarms of annoying peahats it'd be more like Wind Waker.
Yep, I'm not getting it.

Wind Waker has dedicated stealth mechanics?

Aldric

TWW is just a worse version of OoT. BotW is a pretty big departure from this formula and harkens back to the original NES game. l don't see the comparison, even the artstyle is more reminiscent of an HD Skyward Sword.

Wind Waker is my least-favorite 3D Zelda by a wide margin, and a huge step back from Majora's Mask in nearly every respect. Beyond it being a really pretty-looking game, I don't hold it in very high esteem.

Breath of the Wild seems to be everything that Wind Waker and its two follow-ups were not.

I don't really see the comparison, but I'm glad we're all excited for it anyway.

Makonero

Had a dungeon map. ;)

It had dedicated mechanics, yeah. Crawling, wall hugging, peaking around corners.

also barrels you could hide in and move around, searchlights you had to avoid and could turn off by beating monsters with their own sticks, and a lot more.

god I love that game

Solid Raiden

Neo Member
I admit to being one of those teenagers who was initially dissapointed by the cell shaded style of wind waker when it released and refused to buy a GameCube when it released because of it. When I finally bought a GameCube at RE4's release I decided to give it a try and fell in love with it. It is certainly one of the best 3D Zelda adventures.
With the exception of A Link Between Worlds, it's been a while since I've absolutely loved a Zelda game. Twilight Princess and the DS games had some terrible design decisions and Skyward Sword is the only Zelda title I've never purchased (I hated motion controls).
Breath of the Wild looks like everything I've ever wanted in a 3D Zelda game. I am so damn hyped.

Ripenen

Vast emptiness? That would be bad. What made LTTP and OOT so great is how every area felt distinct yet still connected, with lots of cool stuff to find in each area.

WW had large areas of ocean with nothing. It worked well in some ways, like creating a kind of eerie sense of isolation. However, it also dragged down the pace of the game and discouraged exploration.

The dungeons in Wind Waker weren't great, but the bosses were even worse. A lot of the boss music aside from the last (which is amazing) is pretty bad too.

WW has its charms but is certainly not one of my favorites. TP and SS handily run circles around it.

But, OP, I see what you're saying. There are definitely elements lifted from it, but I don't think it's really going to feel like WW.

Gsnap

I can see where you're coming from. To me, it seems like a combination of many things Zelda has played around with in the past, but never fully committed to. And then those things are now fully committed to and taken to the next level, along with new things.

Wind Waker played around with taking enemy weapons, BotW goes all in with it.

OoT and TP had horses, BotW takes it to the next level.

Skyward sword had item upgrades and different collectibles for upgrades.

Zelda 1 had the open structure.

There's probably a lot more I could mention if I thought about it. And of course along with those there's a ton of new stuff like the runes, shield surfing, cooking, etc.

It's all of Zelda's history put together, fully committing to each system, and putting many unique twists on them as well.

Pat

Breath of the Wild actually takes the best aspects of many, if not all, Zelda games.

I'm sure the direction analyzed what made each entry of the series good (and bad) and constructed the overall setting based on that, which they never really did before.

Muninn

Banned
For art style I definitely agree. It does seem to be ripping from a lot of the past games and even games out side of the series for sure.

To be honest I don't buy the idea that this game is being innovative at all really. We'll see. It does look very good.

To me, the posts saying it's a worse OOT seem odd when Twilight Princess came right after.

With the first three 3D Zelda games, it felt like each one really honed in on a specific aspect of the Zelda formula. OOT really emphasized the dungeons, MM really emphasized the sidequests and towns, and Wind Waker really emphasized the exploration aspects. Then you had Twilight Princess, which felt like it was focusing on the same stuff as OOT, and not quite executing at the same level.

Breath of the Wild feels like it obviously shares the same focus on exploration as Wind Walker, so I can totally see where OP is coming from.

Please don't say that. Wind Waker is a boring game with boring dungeons. I don't want Breath of the Wild to bore me to sleep.

Shaanyboi

Banned
For art style I definitely agree. It does seem to be ripping from a lot of the past games and even games out side of the series for sure.

To be honest I don't buy the idea that this game is being innovative at all really. We'll see. It does look very good.
I can't think of many open world games like this which use the environment to facilitate gameplay and problem-solving the way BOTW does. These aren't ideas that hadn't been attempted before (Far Cry 2 etc.), but more often than not, the open world tends to be nothing more than a hub.

Raven117

TWW is just a worse version of OoT. BotW is a pretty big departure from this formula and harkens back to the original NES game. l don't see the comparison, even the artstyle is more reminiscent of an HD Skyward Sword.

Having not played BotW, I was getting original Zelda vibes. And by that, I mean..."Its dangerous to go Alone, take this." And away you go.

We will see how open it really is and how the world is populated (this is the big one...Japanese Open Worlds have yet to actually give you something to do in a big open world with stuff in it to do and see).

Rodin

You forgot to mention that BotW uses pretty much the same mechanic to unveil the map, adapted to the new world and its level design (verticality and all).

In Wind Waker it was this

In Breath of the Wild the towers do the same thing (fill a blank space with the terrain conformation).

EDIT: nvm lol

The fuck are you on about? It's either OoT, MM, SS or ALBW. Not Windu Waika.

But these discussions will soon stop, anyway.

What?

No.
Nonono.

Don't get me wrong, I really liked SS, maybe more than most. I'd rank it above TP, but below the rest when talking about 3D Zeldas. But it's not the best anything.

Ninjimbo

Ice cold, but it's tough to disagree. I don't see a lot of Wind Waker in this either. Maybe the graphics but that's about it.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
WW is the best worst Zelda.
TP is the worst best Zelda.
SS is the worst worst Zelda.
MM is the best best Zelda.
Oot is Zelda.

What?

No.
Nonono.

Don't get me wrong, I really liked SS, maybe more than most. I'd rank it above TP, but below the rest when talking about 3D Zeldas.

Skyward Sword's dungeons are the most consistently good out of all the 3D zeldas save MM (which wins because it has both the fewest and Stone Tower). It has great ones like pirate ship and cistern but without total garbage like Goron Mines to bog it down.

Top Bottom