• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More ZoE sequel "news" from the Kojima Productions blog

Safe Bet

Banned
obonicus said:
Maybe Transformers 2 has reawakened America's hunger for giant humanoid robots doing pirouettes?
Better make your next ZoE now before Transformers runs the "giant robot theme" into the fucking dirt, again.

On a side-note:

G.I. Joe is dead to me.

DEAD

I've always been curious... is Zoe kind of an Evangelian ripoff? I'm basing this off the look of the mech things.

main_02.gif

Luigiv

Dra-Q said:
ZoE3 for Wii, with motion plus support.
Exactly what I was thinking. Though not if they just attempt to fit ZOE2's controls/moveset to the Wiimote. For Wiimote controls to work, the player's move set would need a slight revamp. Story-wise they could justify it by giving you a new mech.

Though knowing Kojima, If it does get greenlit, it'll be a PS3 and/or 360 project. Not that I'd have any problem with that. HD visuals are a fair enough trade for the intuitive controls that only exist in my head.

Johann

Totobeni said:
uh , damn all these MGSs...

anyway , Digno is what the sequel need , no Leo Stenbuck , Kojima please don't put that cry baby in Dingo's jehuty.

Similar to Zeta Gundam, I always thought of Dingo as the Kamille to Leo's Amuro. Leo has a deeper history with Jephuty. Dingo could do alright with any OF.

Callibretto said:
I was about to post something similar. I just have this gut feeling that Kojima will make more games on psp.

edit: I still have no idea how ZoE2 could bomb commercially. I'd expect some decent success in Japan at least. don't Japan love anime mecha shows? it has great gameplay, anime cutscenes, great music, cool mech design, anime tie in with dolores and idolo.

how the hell didn't it sell?

ZoE2 should have been the free game you got when you bought the MGS3: Snake Eater demo.

Although I'm not completely against these Wii/PSP ideas, I think the point of a new ZOE would be to make a big HD game, with online. Let's have Red Faction's GeoMod 2.0 in there as well!! You know you want it.

KTallguy

Banned
Although it's true that they will likely test the waters with a PSP (or maybe PSP2) title, I wish it would come out on a home console. ;(

I thought ZOE2 was not too "animu"... but I guess most people see 2D artwork for the characters and immediately back away... even though I felt that the game was pretty accessible from a narrative standpoint.

I think there is a middle ground between the crazy flying mechs and the more realistic walking tanks... Armored Core is closer than ZOE... Chromehounds is a bit more on the western side.... maybe there can be a happy medium somewhere.

Jonnyram

fistfulofmetal said:
Make the sequel but don't call it ZOE3. Especially if it didn't sell.

Zone of the Enders: Retribution, Fall 2012
FYI, ZOE2 wasn't even called ZOE2 in Japan, it was called Anubis. And it still bombed.

duckroll

Well like I said, what I suggested is what I feel to be the most realistic outcome based on the nature of the ZoE series, and the options Kojima Productions have at the moment. It's not an optimal outcome for most people, just like Peace Walker isn't an optimal outcome for a true follow up to MGS3, but the reality of the industry is what we have to accept. As long as the games are still made with a lot of care and polish, and they're fun to play, it's still a good outcome imo.

duckroll

speedpop said:
Is it wrong for me to actively want a lot of these games on handhelds?

I don't know. I think it depends on the game. Some games translate better to a handheld than others. I don't really think the PSP is ideal for any sort of fast based action game, because the controls kinda suck and it's pretty painful to hold it for an hour or so mashing buttons.

The other issue I have is that with PSP games, especially from Japanese developers, the multiplayer is often only ad-hoc, because of the nature of the user base. It's annoying when the multiplayer features are excellent and well thought out, but I'm unable to use it much or benefit from it at all unless I can find someone else who has the game and also a PS3 with Ad-hoc Party installed.

Jonnyram

duckroll said:
I don't know. I think it depends on the game. Some games translate better to a handheld than others. I don't really think the PSP is ideal for any sort of fast based action game, because the controls kinda suck and it's pretty painful to hold it for an hour or so mashing buttons.

The other issue I have is that with PSP games, especially from Japanese developers, the multiplayer is often only ad-hoc, because of the nature of the user base. It's annoying when the multiplayer features are excellent and well thought out, but I'm unable to use it much or benefit from it at all unless I can find someone else who has the game and also a PS3 with Ad-hoc Party installed.
If the only choice for ZOE3 were PSP or DS though, which would you prefer? :p

ArjanN

ram said:
snatcher - make a new snatcher game. i really love zone of the enders (both of them), but imo there is no need for a sequel.

A) Snatcher doesn't need a sequel either.

B) Policenauts.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Johann said:
Similar to Zeta Gundam, I always thought of Dingo as the Kamille to Leo's Amuro. Leo has a deeper history with Jephuty. Dingo could do alright with any OF.

what "deeper " history ? ZOE2 gave Dingo a deeper history with Jehuty than Leo and a , so same thing happened for Dingo with Jehuty , and he Dingo/Jehuty accomplished way way more than what Leo did , plus Leo has his Vic Viper now , and the fact that Dingo is a better pilot than Leo ( D-man defeated Anubis , Leo run away like a wuss ).

and as characters , Dingo Egret is more interesting than Leo Stenbuck , his history is dark and unknown and better to make story for sequels , he also not "pure" all the way like Leo Stunfuck , not annoying and funny too .

Kimosabae

Banned
If this is released on anything less than an HD console, I'll ignore it. Call me superficial or whatever, but a large portion of ZOE2's appeal for me was its brain-melting presentation. Even if they manage to push the Wii, DS or PSP to their absolute limits, the human imagination will only weep at what could have been.

Make it multiplatform. Put in a demo for MGS whatever-the-fuck. Actually market the damn thing and it should do okay.

When the ZOE2 released in 2003, my friends had never even heard of it, and we were all hardcore into games back then.

-Kye

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I really don't want to see a game that looked so good before take a step backwards by going to the wii.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Just release it on both the Sony and Microsoft console. Boom, at least one or two million sales right there.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
TTP said:
This. Re-mastered a la GOW1&2 plus Trophies.

if Sony can hire some studio to port 3rd party PS2 games to PS3 with their own money I don't think Konami and other publishers will say no to them and will allow many of their PS2 games to get this GOW1/2 remastered treatment , but for now porting games to PS3 costs money , and I don't think publishers see it as profitable yet.

K.Jack said:
Just release it on both the Sony and Microsoft console. Boom, at least one or two million sales right there.

"Hey look, a game I've never heard about."

"Fuck that shit, the new call of duty is out."

=

profit?

spidye said:
:lol :lol :lol
He has a point, ZOE2 is pushing all sorts of crazy particle effects that the Wii probably can't replicate. That said, I'd rather play it on the Wii with dated last-gen graphics than on PS360 with dated last-gen controls.

Kimosabae

Banned
nincompoop said:
He has a point, ZOE2 is pushing all sorts of crazy particle effects that the Wii probably can't replicate. That said, I'd rather play it on the Wii with dated last-gen graphics than on PS360 with dated last-gen controls.

"Last-Gen Controls"???

WOW, someone spiked the Nintendo Kool-Aid.

DY_nasty said:
I really don't want to see a game that looked so good before take a step backwards by going to the wii.

It's more true to say that it would be better on a more capable console since ZoE2 on the PS2 had a spotty frame rate. And in general, unless the game was drastically changed, ZoE as it was on the PS2 wouldn't make any sense with Wii controls. If it's something different, then why not.

I think it would be cool if the sequel to ZoE2, basically a fast paced action game, was on PS3/360/PC while a side story was on the Wii that took place before Orbital Frames were all over the place. ZoE2 had you piloting a POS mech at the start and you always see POS mechs that need saving throughout the game. The Wii game could be you in full control of one of those mechs set before Jehuty and Anubus were made, maybe having something to do with helping those building them.

If it was a PSP game, they'd probably make it like Monster Hunter where you play a member of a squad and could hook up with three others to tackle various stages. That would be fun too.

If it was a DS game, they could make it like the GBA ZoE games or something.

My preference would be a sequel to ZoE2 for the PS3/360/PC, but I'd go with whatever option. I just want Zero Shift to still be in the game.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
ninj4junpei said:
<3 <3 <3 At the very least, we need a sequel to this.

not sequel to that ( since it was related to the shitty anime series iirc ) , but JRPG game based on ZOE for the DS will be kinda cool.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Speaking of ZOE2 not selling, I grabbed a shrinkwrapped copy of it on the cheap a few years back. Never had the time to open it - wonder if it's worth any money?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
nincompoop said:
Yeah, I'm really not trying to take a shot at the wii or stir up anything. Banhammers fly sideways on the gaming side and I want to keep my head as low as possible. But I don't think that taking a game that was as visually impressive as ZoE2 was at the time (despite its questionable frame rate at times) will be served any justice by putting its successor on the wii - which simply isn't known for that kind of thing.

Now, if they were to try and release multiple titles and set aside some sort of side story for the wii, psp, or ds then I don't think anyone would have a problem with that. However, I think that the next 'big' ZoE title would have to be PS3/360/PC release.

I salivate at the though of more ZoE. You could even say my frothing demand for it increases.

I would love a current gen (or even next gen) HD AAA game. ZoE 2 was impressive back in the day, I loved that game, and I loved the "previous story" bonus, since I never got to play the first one.

I think I'd even bite if they did another strategy spin-off for the psp (or DS, I'm easy like a sunday morning).

How to make it a best-seller, though? It doesn't have a well-known (in America, at least, I believe) franchise name attached to it (Hell, I don't even know how well known is the franchise in Japan), but I don't think the game was complicated or too niche. It's an action game, for crying out loud, not so different from ninja gaiden; you battle a bunch of foes in gloriously rendered graphics, got close melee attacks, ranged weaponry, upgrades, etc. There's no customization, no tinkering with stats, nothing, the game is 100% action with some entertaining cutscenes thrown in for good measure.

Maybe if they added co-op? It's worked for the other capcom franchises.

Make it a squad-based tactical robot action game. Call it Zone of the Enders: Tactical Robot Action. Don't forget to include huge bosses!

[edit]

DY_nasty said:
Now, if they were to try and release multiple titles and set aside some sort of side story for the wii, psp, or ds then I don't think anyone would have a problem with that. However, I think that the next 'big' ZoE title would have to be PS3/360/PC release.
:D

sonicmj1

nincompoop said:

I don't think ZoE would be that well-served by Wii controls. You'd lose as much as you'd gain.

Camera would be pretty rough (you'd probably have to exclusively rely on lock-on), and I can't imagine how you'd control height while managing your 2D movement, at least not without getting rid of a lot of pretty important buttons.

If they make it for Handhelds I'd hope they make it a SRPG like Fist of Mars. I don't like playing fast paced action games on those cramped controls.

ArjanN

Fimbulvetr said:
"Hey look, a game I've never heard about."

"Fuck that shit, the new call of duty is out."

=

profit?

Just release it during a period there's no Call of Duty (by Infinity ward anyway) coming out + marketing + multiplatform = profit

rvy

Banned
ArjanN said:
Just release it during a period there's no Call of Duty (by Infinity ward anyway) coming out + marketing + multiplatform = profit
Not everyone is an elitist and posts on GAF, you know.

duckroll

kaching said:
Well, what made them think that was a better title for Japan?

Why not? It's not very different from how Gundam shows are not called "Gundam II" or whatever. Like how Mobile Suit Gundam became Mobile Suit Gundam Zeta, and so on. It was called Anubis: Zone of the Enders in Japan. The US title was Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner. The JP title is much better imo.

Gravijah

Kimosabae said:
If this is released on anything less than an HD console, I'll ignore it. Call me superficial or whatever, but a large portion of ZOE2's appeal for me was its brain-melting presentation. Even if they manage to push the Wii, DS or PSP to their absolute limits, the human imagination will only weep at what could have been.

Make it multiplatform. Put in a demo for MGS whatever-the-fuck. Actually market the damn thing and it should do okay.

When the ZOE2 released in 2003, my friends had never even heard of it, and we were all hardcore into games back then.

-Kye

So... you want it on the PC?

Totobeni said:
not sequel to that ( since it was related to the shitty anime series iirc ) , but JRPG game based on ZOE for the DS will be kinda cool.
I really liked the story and characters, actually. Another SRPG ZoE on the DS would be fantastic.
duckroll said:
Can't we have ZoE3 on PSP and ZoE Testament 2 on DS? :D
*high five*

I'm would be very skeptical of a ZoE on the PSP. When I think of high speed action, I don't think PSP in the slightest.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
ArjanN said:
True, every multiplatform game with marketing and a non Fall release date makes money.

I mean, that's why the industry lost hundreds of millions of dollars as a whole last quarter. They were just all so successful with this strategy.

zoku88

duckroll said:
Why not? It's not very different from how Gundam shows are not called "Gundam II" or whatever. Like how Mobile Suit Gundam became Mobile Suit Gundam Zeta, and so on. It was called Anubis: Zone of the Enders in Japan. The US title was Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner. The JP title is much better imo.
I don't think either title is particularly good/bad. They're both, at least, accurate. (one tells you the main enemy and one tells you that there is a new pilot.) *shrug*

Top Bottom