• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat 11 female characters were purposely made less sexual according to NetherRealms.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I will say though that that is an awesome character design. She looks badass. Considerably more interesting than the cleavage jumpsuit most of the female characters have had in MK games.
I call it Tatooine Skarlet.

lukilladog

Meh, female characters that refuse to be sexy and boast their own natural beauty feels so artificial. Skipping this game.

Dacon

Banned
New Skarlet looks like a Mord Sith, so idk how I feel about the design objectively. It doesn't look bad though.

It just doesnt fit her.

Are we not allowed to like attractive people anymore? Should I be offended if I see a beautiful woman walking down the street? Should I call the police???

No! As a matter of fact you better not be good looking at all. If you are female, dont show your body that you worked for years to get in perfect shape. Be fat, be hairy, because now people are complaining they cant fit into a plane seat even though they weigh more than a hippo. Enjoy your minimalistic furniture and one seaters because soon that wont be ok either. XXXL incoming 🤣

As I've suggested in other topics, I don't for a second object to sex/ nudity or stuff like like that in games, I just don't count the the quality and/or exposure level of pixelated tits as a high priority in my buying decisions.

So Netherealms want to show their female players a little more respect. Cool. It's not gonna hurt the game for anybody else. If you want to play a fighting game and appease a hardon, you'll play DOA. Mortal Kombat was always about gratuitous violence, a completely different alleged moral ineptitude.

So unless you're a hormone riddled 13 year old boy who doesn't know better, keep it calm. Mortal Kombat will be fine, and if it's not, this won't be why.

what an absolutely stupid take on all of this. you should feel bad for having such an asinine opinion

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
So Netherealms want to show their female players a little more """respect."""
MORTAL_KOMBAT_11_2.jpg

At last I truly see.

The best way to show women respect is to... Brutally murder them! Thanks Mortal Kombat for this life lesson you wish to teach the children you're protecting by removing that evil sexy clothing.

Now I know why Dead or Alive had it all wrong all these years. Nobody dies even though the title implies death! In fact they should just rename it to "Alive" since they are doing the women respecting all wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Elcid

Banned
No shit. This is why when I picked up MKX and realized what they did I stopped supporting them. Didn't buy any DLC for it or Injustice 2. They can eat my ass if they think they'll get a single shekel out of this guy. I used to love NRS but this infuriated me. The jump from sexy in MK9 to butch in MKX was jarring. I noticed it immediately. Only character I liked was Cassie.

That's why SFV has gotten a shit ton of DLC sales from me. Sure they took Cammy's nipples and R. Mika's ass slap away but I get those, while I don't agree, I understand.

Sygma

I absolutely don't care about the girls being covered up as much as I don't care about them being sexy for the sake of fantasy. Cuz if you wank one off at the designs, at the end of the day its still you, your mind and your hand and there's nothing wrong with it.

Get a grip on reality instead I don't know. Shit is ridiculous man

shooter_mcgavin

Neo Member
Upset comments here exposes either the hypocrisy or character of people in this site. I have been following the discussions in this site for years the many of the complaints have usually been about the sexualization of female characters.

Now that developers are more conscious about this topic now people here are getting upset. So its either two things it's that members here are hypocrites and their outcry of developers sexlualizing female characters back then was just to pretend they care about women being depicted and portrayed better in video games or, just like everyone in the internet, they just need a reason to be angry about something.

Both doesn't show a good light on the people here really.

I got a good idea for a compromise, how about we have at least one female character who is scantily clad?

That's usually the way it goes for most fighting games anyway, Soul Calibur has always had Ivy but it's also always had more sensibly dressed characters as well, there's also Mai and King of Fighters, usually there's one female character who is real heavy on the "fanservice" and the others not as much.

Would that not be a good enough middle ground?

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Upset comments here exposes either the hypocrisy or character of people in this site. I have been following the discussions in this site for years the many of the complaints have usually been about the sexualization of female characters.
You do know most of those "people" left the site right? Otherwise even my sarcasm about the situation would be good as banned by now.

I got a good idea for a compromise, how about we have at least one female character who is scantily clad?

That's usually the way it goes for most fighting games anyway, Soul Calibur has always had Ivy but it's also always had more sensibly dressed characters as well, there's also Mai and King of Fighters, usually there's one female character who is real heavy on the "fanservice" and the others not as much.

Would that not be a good enough middle ground?
You have the right idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nickolaidas

I wonder … if NRS would go and say they will never (again) have gay characters on their games, would people here still complain about 'pandering to a specific demographic' and bowing to the whims of certain social teams? Or would they not give a fuck, as long as their boobs are safe and sound?

This is a problem that NRS set themselves into. Making their female character designs more and more slutty in the previous games, they have now amassed a specific target group which likes the slutty costume design.

But here's the thing: companies' stances on various things change, as times change. Marvel and DC are no longer dressing their female characters in the way they did back in the 90s or the 60s. Fashion and sex appeal evolves, and just like people, video game character design evolves with them. And while some people abhor this change, some others applaud it. Some call it maturity and growth; others call it puritanism and catering to SJWs. Perhaps it's both. Perhaps it's neither. This is a decision that changes the look of MK for a lot of people, and there are going to be some complaints.

Now, while I understand that both sides have their rights and wrongs in this matter, I *do* think that cancelling one's pre-order because Sonya doesn't look like a stripper is way too much of an overreaction.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Which probably explains why the members here have started to become more "alt-right". I suppose that explains a lot

“Either with us (“us” being a flowing definition changing by the day) or against us (likely you will be found to be against the new definition of “us” at some point, better get used to it...)”...

Although to stay in the Gaming World let me quote Crazy Taxi’s original sound track:

“Them and Us said:
Despite that he saw blatant similarity
He struggled to find a distinctive moiety
All he found was vulgar superficiality
But he focused it to sharpness
And shared it with the others
It signified his anger and misery
Them and us
Lobbying determined through a mire of disbelievers
Them and us
Dire perpetuation and incongruous insistence
That there really is a difference
Between them and us
Hate is a simple manifestation
Of the deep-seated self-directed frustration
All it does is promote fear and consternation
It's the inability
To justify the enemy
And it fills us all with trepidation
Them and us
Bending the significance to match a whimsied fable
Them and us
Tumult for the ignorant and purpose for the violence
A confused loose alliance forming
Them and us
I heard him say
We can take them all
(but he didn't know who they were,
And he didn't know who we were.
And there wasn't any reason or
Motive, or value, to his story,
Just allegory, imitation glory,
And a desperate feeble search for a friend)

Shmunter

Which probably explains why the members here have started to become more "alt-right". I suppose that explains a lot

Seems you aren’t fully aware of what alt right means, don’t blame you. It’s thrust around so liberally it has taken on a multitude of definitions depending what rock you look under. Certainly it is so wide in its definition, anyone and everyone can be thrown into the category by the accuser at will. Very useful tool in shutting down discussion and discrediting the opponent.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I looked up the old sprites and newer MK female costumes to compare, and they went from boob windows that show about 30% of ~C cups on Mileena/Jade etc to 50% of E+ cups on the same characters. No wonder they had to scale it back a bit. Without getting caught up in the air quoting, false equivalence, straw men, and everything else that's toxic to discussion, I've simply never seen the point in sexualised characters in games other than to appeal to 14 year old boys and see no problem with relying on a game's actual merits to sell units regardless of the reasons. Is the end product a good MK game?

Iggzy

Ed Boon might think that in reality fighters wouldn't wear revealing clothing, and I might agree with that, if it wasn't mortal kombat universe with ninjas shooting ice hadoukens.

shooter_mcgavin

Neo Member
Seems you aren’t fully aware of what alt right means, don’t blame you. It’s thrust around so liberally it has taken on a multitude of definitions depending what rock you look under. Certainly it is so wide in its definition, anyone and everyone can be thrown into the category by the accuser at will. Very useful tool in shutting down discussion and discrediting the opponent.

Whatever you describe it's made this forums much worse which is why I was shocked when I visited here a few months ago. I wasn't sure what happened after the sexual misconduct of the Neogaf founder broke out since I wasn't paying much attention to this site (or videogames) the past 2 years since I spent most of my time traveling but it seems the mass exodus of members and comments from recent members have taken things for the worse.

I am not a liberal and I am not even from the US (I see myself as more of a left leaning centrist in my ideology) but when recent comments here involves people upset that female characters being depicted with less sexuality, when there's an outrage when games censoring "fan service" images of pre-teen female characters, and people considering charities supporting trans-gender children as "political" then something is wrong here.

I am not going to hijack this topic but I am glad CaptainFalcon64 mentioned most of the members left. It's reassuring, at least, that it's not gamers whose view points have shifted but the ones from this group.

Anyways enjoy the discussion folks I said my part.

Shmunter

Whatever you describe it's made this forums much worse which is why I was shocked when I visited here a few months ago. I wasn't sure what happened after the sexual misconduct of the Neogaf founder broke out since I wasn't paying much attention to this site (or videogames) the past 2 years since I spent most of my time traveling but it seems the mass exodus of members and comments from recent members have taken things for the worse.

I am not a liberal and I am not even from the US (I see myself as more of a left leaning centrist in my ideology) but when recent comments here involves people upset that female characters being depicted with less sexuality, when there's an outrage when games censoring "fan service" images of pre-teen female characters, and people considering charities supporting trans-gender children as "political" then something is wrong here.

I am not going to hijack this topic but I am glad CaptainFalcon64 mentioned most of the members left. It's reassuring, at least, that it's not gamers whose view points have shifted but the ones from this group.

Anyways enjoy the discussion folks I said my part.

And here in lies the point. Your opinion is welcome just as anybody else’s. You saying you think the site is worse because people are expression an opinions you don’t agree with? That is an issue for your person self only. The freedom is actually desirable.

Even then, you see more sjw’s here than any number of the equivalent opposite side of the spectrum. Progressives are more then welcome as long as they engage in civil discourse. Hate groups and extremists are not.

Who’s arguing for Pre-teen sexuality?

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
. I wasn't sure what happened after the sexual misconduct of the Neogaf founder broke out since I wasn't paying much attention to this site (or videogames) the past 2 years since I spent most of my time traveling
Sure Jan.gif

Go ree off somewhere else

bilderberg

Since when has wanting women to be more covered up been anything other than a conservative stance? Now it's evidence for being alt-right? Dude's trolling.

Petrae

Western video gaming has gone severely left, and it’s trying very hard to take Japanese gaming with it— through censorship, if necessary, as we’ve seen multiple times with Sony. It’s not even pandering— more and more Western game developers are Liberal, and that line of sociopolitical thinking is injected into the games they make.

The continuing foolish double standard of graphic violence and brutal murder being okay but even the hint of sexually suggestive content isn’t sucks. The references to Jack Thompson don’t make sense, because Thompson would still be outraged that killing and violence are instrumental components of many of today’s video games— and even though Mortal Kombat now “respects” women through sanitized character designs, there’s still no hesitation in brutally beating and eventually murdering them.

Sygma

Western video gaming has gone severely left, and it’s trying very hard to take Japanese gaming with it— through censorship, if necessary, as we’ve seen multiple times with Sony. It’s not even pandering— more and more Western game developers are Liberal, and that line of sociopolitical thinking is injected into the games they make.

The continuing foolish double standard of graphic violence and brutal murder being okay but even the hint of sexually suggestive content isn’t sucks. The references to Jack Thompson don’t make sense, because Thompson would still be outraged that killing and violence are instrumental components of many of today’s video games— and even though Mortal Kombat now “respects” women through sanitized character designs, there’s still no hesitation in brutally beating and eventually murdering them.

I still don't get why sex is such a bad thing in terms of "ideology"

I got plenty of issues with how The last of us 2 was revealed starting with a guy pretty much eviscerating an alive prisoner and you'd see all the goods coming out from the belly, which further escalated on some of the most gruesome bodies explosions / beheading (via a machete) I've seen in a video game, period

Like for some reason, its all good and people wanted EVEN GORIER after the reveal. But imaginary sex symbols ? nah fam lock it up

Last edited:
lmao the people talking about "respecting women" always sound like the biggest dildos. its more fedora guys but just in different areas
I still don't get why sex is such a bad thing in terms of "ideology"

there is nothing wrong with sex sexuality or enjoying or wanting to find things sexy. its the very nature of our being. the problem is society has gone full circle. it was once that we should try and embrace sex but now its once again by "open minded" people that sexuality is bad and you are a bad person for having such thoughts. its fucking weird how puritanical people have become and they try to label it as "respect" or even that its in bad taste to even like such things. its fucking bizarre

lock2k

Banned
Hating prudish behavior = alt right now. lol

What has happened to thr left? I never leaned left but boy I miss the old school left that was counter culture. This new left has lost its purpose. You guys were supposed to be anti-establishment, not prudish with pastor-like mentality in regards to sex.

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
Wait. Is it Liberal or Conservative? Make up your minds.

Classic conservatism did a lot of controlling social values through shame and labeling. Now it's the liberal's turn to shine, but somehow, they're working towards some of the same goals.

I posted this earlier in the thread, but a LOT of the sort of comments being made by Fox News in this video sound disturbingly similar to the sort of arguments made attacking those who enjoy having sexualized characters in video games today.

Last edited:
lmao at not wearing a bikini to a fight. you realize in real professional fights both men and women wear very little clothing

but i guess a jacket will protect you against a monster with sword hands

Last edited:
There it is a burka in anything but name.

"Thank you for covering all the women and making the game Shria-compliant!
I am very happy that the good people at Nether Realm agree that women showing skin is an abomination and an affront to god. Together we can undo all the “progress” of the women’s rights movement, and put women in their rightful place once and for all.”

zenspider

Hell yeah, it matters.

I don't play Xenoblade Chronicles 2 around the wife. Even though I like the game itself, some of the characters are... um... I don't necessarily want to be seen playing that. :)

I wouldn't be into Dead or Alive anyway but if I did I'd be sure to play when she isn't around.

We watched Game of Thrones plenty so with Mortal Kombat I feel like she's far more likely to be put off by the violence rather than any costumes a character might wear.

It does feel like MK might be pandering to a crowd that may not be into their games or maybe it's something to do with e-sports. It's not automatically bad but I think it's a bit unfortunate if their customer designs are informed by fear of social media backlash.

I feel you on this, but I still think it should remain in the realm of personal taste and not pearl-clutching morality as policy.

iconmaster iconmaster made a great point: the radical left has made more inroads to influence pop culture than the Christian Right and Moral Majority ever did at the height of it's influence - and it's likely coming from less people who play the modern zeitgiest game better.

It's hilarious and it's sad. What happened to the libertarian left?

Elcid

Banned
Alt-right isn't even a real thing at this point. It has no real leader. The media keeps appointing supposed leaders. Now they're claiming Ben Shapiro is a supposed alt-right leader when supposedly being alt-right means your anti-Semitic. It's nonsense.

Fake

Which probably explains why the members here have started to become more "alt-right".
Sorry to break your heart, but I'm left. I don't support Trump neither that stupid Bolsonaro. I just not paranoiac. Feel free to enter in my profile and follow my twitter if you doub.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Classic conservatism did a lot of controlling social values through shame and labeling. Now it's the liberal's turn to shine, but somehow, they're working towards some of the same goals.

I posted this earlier in the thread, but a LOT of the sort of comments being made by Fox News in this video sound disturbingly similar to the sort of arguments made attacking those who enjoy having sexualized characters in video games today.

Fuck authoritarianism.

joe_zazen

The sanctimonious or hypocritical attitude of Western developers these days seems to be, if you are disappointed in our direction, too bad. It’s fine going into a new direction, but don’t have double standards when it comes to your decisions. I’m almost getting a bf5 and new tomb raider vibes from this.

The way it works at every corporate media company in 2019 is that everything has to go through sensitivity vetters, i.e. specialists who are paid to flag potentially problematic content and have the creators remove it. Any team that explains their product’s design choices without referencing this is not telling you the real story. & there are many types: selling in China, you need a vetter for that, selling to Millenials, you need a whole team for that, trying to snag that middle east oil money, yup better make that team bigger. This isnt art, it is the videogame equivalent of doritos.

Bkdk

The problem is feminists outrage are much more scarier of outrage of other all other type gamers of combined, it’s like 5% of them yet they hold so much power. Feminists are showcasing how online bullying can be scary.

I actually like most of the MK11 female designs, maybe skarlet's face looks kinda weird, but on the other hand with mask on she looks sexy as fuck imo :D

Top Bottom