• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat 11 female characters were purposely made less sexual according to NetherRealms.

Jon Neu

Banned
I LOVE this sentence from him.

People need to realize how stupid it was for female fighters to be fighting in bathing suits. It was always super stupid.

No, girls fighting in bathing suits are awesome.

Female sexyness is the best thing ever, only puritans dislike it.

Jon Neu

Banned
I think the more realistic games get, the more often we are going to have conversations about how gaming should reflect the real world more often. Or at least close the gap. Stuff starts to look goofy when the character looks realistic, but the setting or her clothes don't. If it's Anime, did it's easier to get lost in the fantasy.

Your type don’t want more realistic games, because that means you wouldn’t have women in anything that requires physical power.

And by the way, I don’t know were you live, but here in Europe you can see women wearing sexy outfits all the time. I would argue there is nothing more realistic than a woman trying to look as sexy and provocative as possible.

Last edited:

Airola

I usually think to myself, could I play this in front of my wife and not look like a creepy pervert? If the answer is no, then I usually don't buy the game.

If your wife plays a fighting game with some shirtless dude, does she look like a creepy pervert? If not, why should playing a game with scantily clad women make people look creepy perverts either?

Saber

It's not bullshit if feminism is largely based on extermination of the male gaze.

And female gaze? Or it doesn't exist because males are fantasy? Spider-man only wearing underwear...anybody even remembers that?

I think we're running in circles here. Sexiness goes both sides. Unless you guys pretend that sexy males doesn't exist at all(or pretend so they can extend their dreaming without worries).

Ariesfirebomb

Neo Member
The problem is feminists outrage are much more scarier of outrage of other all other type gamers of combined, it’s like 5% of them yet they hold so much power. Feminists are showcasing how online bullying can be scary.

Something tells me you don’t actually know any women who identify as feminists/womanists.

Here’s the thing, most women don’t care about this sort of thing. However it’s comical to expect women to run around with gigantic breasts, tiny waists and expect them to pull of lethal combos.

The redesigns for this (and Doa 6) are honestly great.

I’m not sure what this forum has against games “growing up”, but y’all gotta get the fuck out of 2002.

Jon Neu

Banned
Something tells me you don’t actually know any women who identify as feminists/womanists.

Good no true scotchman fallacy there.

Here’s the thing, most women don’t care about this sort of thing.

That's true. And that's because -fortunately-, most women don't consider themselves feminists.

it’s comical to expect women to run around with gigantic breasts, tiny waists and expect them to pull of lethal combos.

So you don't want women in fighting and games based on anything that involves phyisical strength?

Because it's comical to expect women to compete with far more faster, stronger and mentally prepared men.

Most women in any situation of danger just scream in panic and get paralyzed by fear.

But you know, it's almost as if videogames could be just fantasies with over the top characters and situations.

I’m not sure what this forum has against games “growing up”, but y’all gotta get the fuck out of 2002.

If you seriously think this is "growin up", I'm truly sorry for you.

Petrae

Here’s the thing, most women don’t care about this sort of thing. However it’s comical to expect women to run around with gigantic breasts, tiny waists and expect them to pull of lethal combos.

It’s also comical to expect people to punch opponents so hard that it removes the heads and spines from their bodies— or to see any of the other fatalities in the games.

If the games are truly going to “grow up”, then that means getting rid of the double standard. No more fatalities, either. Just punching and kicking.

All of this insistence that video games have to “grow up” is really fucking disappointing to me, though, as video games used to be about fun. It’s too bad that fun is no longer allowed in modern video gaming, or frowned upon at the very least. It’s all about real life issues and sociopolitical stances now— the same bullshit we’re all involuntarily embroiled in when it comes to reality, we’re now swimming in it in video games.

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
nz_angela_15.jpg

Won’t some noble video game designer please cover these poor women up

stickkidsam

I've never been a huge MK guy.

That said, it's pretty obvious how completely full of shit their reasons are lol

They're concerned with the "maturity" of walking into a fight with revealing clothing; ignoring the context, character, and behaviors of the fighters themselves. This a blood sport, with warriors of all lands competing for glory in the most over the top ways possible. They'd deck you in the face and then rip your nuts (or ovaries, wouldn't wanna assume) off before you could say "impractical chainmail bikini".

Dunki

Meanwhile this is going on on twitter right now.

Last edited:

K1Expwy

I'm really not against NRS taking this stance. I want creators and developers to make and publish what they want o make, then let the market decide if there's demand for more.
The problem comes from NRS posturing as though they have a choice in the matter, as physical/digital platform holders clamp down on anything that's perceived to appeal to male heterosexuality. They aren't taking a stand, they're falling in line.

joe_zazen

I'm really not against NRS taking this stance. I want creators and developers to make and publish what they want o make, then let the market decide if there's demand for more.
The problem comes from NRS posturing as though they have a choice in the matter, as physical/digital platform holders clamp down on anything that's perceived to appeal to male heterosexuality. They aren't taking a stand, they're falling in line.

That is the thing, this is all driven by corporate demand for max ROI when talking AAA products from majors. It is irritating when any other rationale is trotted out. Like the folks making Mortal FUCKING Kombat are some kind of cultral warriors fighting against the MAN and tearing down the system instead of the mercenary confectioners they are.

Iorv3th

However it’s comical to expect women to run around with gigantic breasts, tiny waists and expect them to pull of lethal combos.

Your argument for gamers "growing up" over the outfits is really funny when they reveal johnny cage and showing him punching baraka in the balls. We are clearly stuck in 2002 here. Just ignore all complaints. It's just people stuck in the past that want bikini fighters.......

Dacon

Banned
However it’s comical to expect women to run around with gigantic breasts, tiny waists and expect them to pull of lethal combos.

There's literally someone in this game ripping somebody's face off with their bare hands, a fatally where a girl kicks a guys spine out from his balls yet somehow it's large breasts (which everyone was ok with in MK9, I don't remember any streamers laughing at the characters breasts, the faces however were a different story) that are comical. Your standards for "growing up" are bizarre. MK has always been ridiculous over the top silliness. Why take issue with it in one area but not in the other?

Meanwhile this is going on on twitter right now.

I mean, this game made Jax and Liu Kang sexy af, but the females don't get the same treatment. Also, the bikini fighters comments are really dumb. MK's had some skimpy outfits but plenty of them are elaborate costumes that are still titillating. Putting all of the costumes on the same level as literal bikinis in something like DOA, is pretty telling.

Last edited:

Pimpbaa

I don't think there is something wrong with the male gaze, it is natural.

Which is why it can never be exterminated unless someone starts exterminating all males. It is natural, will always exist, and the people who don't like that are just going to have to deal with it.

This is precisely why I am buying fewer modern games and more “retro.”
I play video games to escape reality, not to indulge in it. That’s why the bikini armor trope works in video games- there are already so many unrealistic fantasy factors.
I’ve never understood the “violence good, sex bad” mentality. Netherrealms think they are being more ‘mature’ and ‘respectful’ by removing sexy visuals while leaving depictions of mutilating and defiling the human body? Lulz okay doodz, wuteverz helps u sleep at night.
I’ll probably eventually get Burka Kombat 11 once it spirals down to the $20 range tho.

zenspider

Which probably explains why the members here have started to become more "alt-right". I suppose that explains a lot

I'm a dyed in the wool leftie. The majority here is left-leaning - look up the political matrix thread.

You're putting us in the "Joe Rogan box". Just because we can talk - and listen! - to people with views we disagree with, it's tempting to put us in an 'alt-right adjacent' category. It's nonsense.

zenspider

Your type don’t want more realistic games, because that means you wouldn’t have women in anything that requires physical power.

Wow. That's some real talk right there. It's a rough package, but we should admit that we're trading in unrealities here, and what a female is wearing in combat is as strange a place to draw the line as is a 120 lb female fighting a male in peak physical condition at all, and not getting obliterated.

Equality does not mean symmetry.

Last edited:

stickkidsam

The saddest thing I'm seeing here is that some people think "growing up" means making things as limited and inoffensive as possible.

Did your guys inner child get their skull ripped off by Scorpion or something?

EDIT:
To clarify, I don't mean sad as an insult. It genuinely is a bummer when people think growing up means you can't just have stupid fun.

Last edited:

KonradLaw

Classic conservatism did a lot of controlling social values through shame and labeling. Now it's the liberal's turn to shine, but somehow, they're working towards some of the same goals.

I posted this earlier in the thread, but a LOT of the sort of comments being made by Fox News in this video sound disturbingly similar to the sort of arguments made attacking those who enjoy having sexualized characters in video games today.

People who created free love revolution and tried to levitate Pentagon with their minds later became conservative boomers.
Plus I think generally americans are puritan by nature. It seems to run much deeper than any politics. So whatever side dominates in mainstream will go for morality nonense and censorship. Convervatives did it when they had the upper hand, now liberals do, but they do the same. The arguments slightly changed, but at it's core it;'s the same thing.

Last edited:

GrayFoxRJ

Banned
Which probably explains why the members here have started to become more "alt-right". I suppose that explains a lot
I'm not an US citizen, don't know very much about stereotypes and extremes, but from my understanding through research, it seems that real alt-right are extremist minorities very much condensed to 4chans and deep web and southern communities in the us, right?

Like, not liking purposefully made Agendas that are left-leaning (and somewhat Puritan in spirits) does not equal to being an alt-right.

Am I wrong? I know there is a lot of cringe in the discussions in circles that doesn't like this kind of approach to gaming, and it is our right. Every person has a different reasoning when it comes to changes, we are logical beings... but calling them alt right - literally white supremacists- because they dislike neurotical fellows or they disagree with some boobies in a video game seems to be a little too much.

And ERA/Twitter/Tumblr mates in general are very Radical in their mixed marxistic approach to public shaming when it goes against what they believe, so this is one of the reasons people don't like them

I'm all for not even mentioning these folks here. It's not like keep talking about this will change anything, but the right to discuss should never be ad hominem questioned even if you don't like the arguments

Last edited:

Shmunter

I'm not an US citizen, don't know very much about stereotypes and extremes, but from my understanding through research, it seems that real alt-right are extremist minorities very much condensed to 4chans and deep web and southern communities in the us, right?

Like, not liking purposefully made Agendas that are left-leaning (and somewhat Puritan in spirits) does not equal to being an alt-right.

Am I wrong? I know there is a lot of cringe in the discussions in circles that doesn't like this kind of approach to gaming, and it is our right. Every person has a different reasoning when it comes to changes, we are logical beings... but calling them alt right - literally white supremacists- because they dislike neurotical fellows or they disagree with some boobies in a video game seems to be a little too much.

And ERA/Twitter/Tumblr mates in general are very Radical in their mixed marxistic approach to public shaming when it goes against what they believe, so this is one of the reasons people don't like them

I'm all for not even mentioning these folks here. It's not like keep talking about this will change anything, but the right to discuss should never be ad hominem questioned even if you don't like the arguments

Because...

images

Which is why it can never be exterminated unless someone starts exterminating all males. It is natural, will always exist, and the people who don't like that are just going to have to deal with it.
Give it time.
Resetera's rhetoric is scary in some of their more political threads. They openly say things like "I want blood" and fantasize about rounding old males in rooms and opening machine guns to fix hate crimes and the us political system.

Dacon

Banned
Believe me when I say that I do. It's not the fact that they are shirtless that they think it's sexy.

My friend Kat literally just told me "Why wouldnt I think a shirtless attractive man is sexy" and she then proceeded to gush about how hot this guy she saw at a concert was and how much she loved his arms.

EDIT: and now I wish I hadnt asked bc now shes still going on about hot dudes

Last edited:

Closer

My friend Kat literally just told me "Why wouldnt I think a shirtless attractive man is sexy" and she then proceeded to gush about how hot this guy she saw at a concert was and how much she loved his arms.

EDIT: and now I wish I hadnt asked bc now shes still going on about hot dudes

You must have different kind of friends. People I know think shirtless are just hot. They way they act and whatever is what makes them sexy.

Ar¢tos

As a gay man, I can clearly say that there basically nothing attractive in the male designs of this game. They could be showing double the amount of skin and i would still have a resting bitch face while looking at them. It's the faces that attract me, muscles and abs do absolutely nothing for me, except induce sleep, and those face sure need a lot of work to become attractive (the ones that don't have some sort of mask).

There are no neckbeard women in the world.

I hate to break it to you but this is what a woman looks like now

c5e2e2ff72a780d65499640f1f6f5d9b.jpg

and if you live in the US or Europe don't you dare question her womanhood and extreme femininity or you will be hanged by your ankles lol

Last edited:

Closer

I hate to break it to you but this is what a woman looks like now

~huge ass image~

and if you live in the US or Europe don't you dare question her womanhood and extreme femininity or you will be hanged by your ankles lol

Good for me that I don't live where that's what women looks like.

Last edited:
I'm not transphobic. They can live their life happily and I don't care. I'll be happy for them if they are close to me.

But you just said that it's good for you that you don't live in the same country with Transwomen, that's Transphobia. sorry but you get minus 5 woke point for that one, hope you do better next time dude.

Top Bottom