• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat 12 Announcement is Imminent. Confirmed to be a Reboot.

Pelao

After the end of MK11 and its DLC, I was hoping for a new cast set in the past, during the time of the Great Kung Lao (that somehow still had Scorpion and Sub-Zero). If it's yet ANOTHER reminagination of MK1, I hope they at least change a LOT of things.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo

Confirmed to be a Reboot​

But the last 3 games was one giant reboot....

Given the whole time travel thing though in MK9-11, I think better decision would be start completely from scratch after restoration of the timeline in 12 after Aftermath (depending on which ending they'll be considering as canon and new starting point for 12). Time travel must not be a thing again cuz you can just do that all the time and fix nothing in the end story-wise.

Last edited:

Soltype

Fuck with all your reboots. Just give me bluray version of Mortal Kombat Annihilation.
I'd watch it, movie wasn't all bad.
pWpdr5W.gif

This teaser just follow MK11 story...Was obvious a restart. Who played mk11 knows that. Liu or Shang do whatever they want with the time...
Maybe Edboon did a plot twist with a Titan interference on the time.

I dont understand the complains...!?

necroticart

Neo Member
I still think we are getting a remake of MK 1- Trilogy. It's to soon for MK 12 I'm sure Ed and company would want to use UE5 for that release

MiguelItUp

I wonder if this is going to be a full on remake? I mean, it IS looking like it. Whatever, I don't care what it is, that story is all over the place. Just make it good, PLEASE. Lol.

Chances the female characters will be sexy again?
Hopefully they don't make the women more manly, and I hope won't have to wait for dlc to get original and sexy versions of characters again.

They did concede to give dlc sexy outfits. I refused to buy the game until that happened.. Thankfully by that time, they had a ultimate Kombat or something bundle and I got it for like $5 or 10... with all the dlc and costumes.
They lost 50some dollars though as I would of bought it day 1 if it wasn't for their sjw pandering bs.

MK has been my favorite fighter since the first. I have bought every new mainline game, even on got the portable version on vita, which was amazing.

Oh the clock is probably just "countdown" do announcement. Not reboot.

Last edited:

pepodmc_

Where is the confirmation of a reboot?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a reboot with some competent writers who can fully take advantage of what's there, but this doesn't confirm anything except that an announcement is com... koming soon.
did you play mk11? more specifically the aftermath expansion?

Last edited:

Cashon

Banned
did you play mk11? more specifically the aftermath expansion?
I did.

Confirmed is a very specific word that should only be used when something is actually, factually, known to be true. We would use journalistic standards for that word.

pepodmc_

I did.

Confirmed is a very specific word that should only be used when something is actually, factually, known to be true. We would use journalistic standards for that word.
the reboot will happen even if its still not confirmed. Its impossible to continue from the shang tsung ending with all the characters that died , and the liu kang ending means a reboot.
Sequel wise, makes a lot more sense to continue from the liu kang ending. You can restart again the story and start from very interesting events that never were used in a mk game before (aside of flashbacks or short mentions)
Debating about a word is meaningless in this case.

Cashon

Banned
the reboot will happen even if its still not confirmed. Its impossible to continue from the shang tsung ending with all the characters that died , and the liu kang ending means a reboot.
Sequel wise, makes a lot more sense to continue from the liu kang ending. You can restart again the story and start from very interesting events that never were used in a mk game before (aside of flashbacks or short mentions)
Debating about a word is meaningless in this case.
I mean... That's still just a sequel though. Just like (2011) was. It's just a reboot inside of a sequel. All of the history still happened. It would still just be all a result of the stuff that happened in Armageddon.

A real, true reboot would separate from the existing story in every way. It might have similar it identical story elements, but canonically it would be entirely stand-alone.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Reboot/Remake
Have it set in the 90's too
Could be great.

-Zelda-

Banned
Is this the only kind of stories they can tell? How many more times are they going to make a mortal kombat story focused around timey-whimey BS? I liked the MK 9 story, but it really want downhill after that. Tired of all these time resets. That being said: Day 1. Pre order if possible. Wish we could get MK 9 on PS5. Not that stream only stuff from the membership, but a physical rerelease.

Last edited:

Hot5pur

The question is, will they reboot the gameplay too? Feels like they've had the same stiff/clunky animations for a long time across MK and Injustice. Perhaps that's the NRS staple...

Ronin_7

Huh?

I hope you're right. I have my doubts.

They are announcing/teasing this way too early for it to line up with what Grubb said imo
Before this was teased, insiders were already saying MK 12 would be on the PlayStation Showcase so it line ups perfectly.

Top Bottom