• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat 2 vs. Mortal Kombat 3

Raw64life

MKII. Did not at all appreciate the roster gutting and all the shit characters they were replaced with. It wasn't an accident that they rushed out an UMK3 with all the characters back in so quickly afterwards. At least Street Fighter made up for it with the best gameplay in a fighting game ever when they did it.

MK 2

Perfect roster, perfect stages, perfect fatalities and environment fatalities.

MK 3 was fine, it was a little too different to the previous games (the run button changed things for the worse - not for the better). The storyline was getting a little ridiculous at that point in time as well.

Current reptile is best reptile. I can't understand why people want a generic ninja so bad. Just go back and play MK2 ffs.

MK2 is better than MK3, but UMK3 is better than both of them. The simplicity of 2 makes it sort of pure, which I appreciate though.

Newboi

When I consider the arcade versions, I have to go with MK2. However, I feel that MK3 had better home console ports, especially UKM3.

Ugggh, the home console ports of UMK3 on SNES was terrible. Only like 5 stages, no Sheeva and removed sound bits. MK2 SNES port was almost perfect to me

and done.

I have to disagree (not with 2 being better than 3- but with the posts that make a claim yet don't attempt to justify it at all).

In my circle of friends, 2 saw a lot more playtime- tons. We just never got into three as much. Some of those in our circle liked playing a lot of different characters, so all of the extra stuff meant they had to pick one character if they wanted to be competitive.

I still wish a form of Trilogy had ended up on arcade. Something a little more polished than what we had. We played that one a bunch- even though it had a lot of jank- and loved some of the auto stuff.

lebowski4ever

Neo Member
loved mk2.. bossed it in the arcades. remember doing matches with shang tsung, and when it cames to fatalities, changing into sub zero, freezing them, then changing into johnny cage and doing the 3 head knock off. hated mk3 with a passion.

ScOULaris

Current reptile is best reptile. I can't understand why people want a generic ninja so bad. Just go back and play MK2 ffs.

You're wrong. Ninja Reptile was so much better than all the reptilian designs that he's suffered through ever since MK4. He was a badass creature disguised in human form. You'd only see hints of his secret reptilian identity whenever he'd remove his mask. Just the way it should be.

Mortal Kombat was always about graphics and atmosphere. Probably the most shallow fighting game series to this day. the best thing about it was it reveled in it's simplicity. MK2 was a nice upgrade and iteration to the first game. MK3 tried piling on more stuff and it was just bloated. The purity was lost and never regained. It is not a good fighting game or even a good mortal kombat game. MK2 was still a shlocky martial arts flick in arcade form. Mk3 was a carnival of absurdity and stupidity. The magic was gone for sure in that game.

Rezae

I played much more MK2 at the arcades and much more MK3 at home on my PS1.

MK2 had a much better roster and atmosphere IMO. Seemed a bit looser and unpredictable compared to MK3, where it seemed like it was all about the dial-it-in combos. The gameplay overall was real sharp though in MK3. Due to overall feel, roster, and simply the "fun" factor, I really enjoyed MK2 more.

UMK3 was amazing though, and fixed a lot of my complaints with the original.

Waldini

Whoa. Many thread. Great feels.

Started Mortal Kombat on the PC. When the sequel arrived I gasped at the graphical improvement. Loved the roster :)

Yes, I always "cheated" the Goro fight. Jump, kick, jump, kick.

When I was playing through MK2 and faced Kintaro I tried the same thing. Only to get smacked to the other side of the screen/level.

Loved the atmosphere, loved the fighters.

Mortal Kombat 3 was OK at best. Didn't spend much time playing it. Skipped Mortal Kombat 4 and started playing MK again when MK9 hit stores.

Dereck

I don't believe that people dislike Reptilian Reptile because he looks like a Reptile, they seem to dislike it because usually the Reptilian costumes just are not good. I think people would be fine with the Reptilian look if the design was good.

Personally I'm a fan of the alternate costume from MK4 which gives us the best of both worlds.

y4SIsr9.jpg

I don't believe that people dislike Reptilian Reptile because he looks like a Reptile, they seem to dislike it because usually the Reptilian costumes just are not good. I think people would be fine with the Reptilian look if the design was good.

Personally I'm a fan of the alternate costume from MK4 which gives us the best of both worlds.

y4SIsr9.jpg

Still my fave reptile look, along with MK Armageddon/Shaolin Monks

gimmmick

MK2 was the better game in the arcade and was the one we always went back too that wasn't named street fighter. Though mk3 was a fucking blast to play. The run mechanics and combos were really what really what made the title shine. Though overal product, mk2 was the better game imo.

correojon

MK2 all the way, I can´t count the hours I poured into it playing against my brother. MK3 was cool when it came out, but the Fatalities were a massive step down from those in MK2. They were stupid compared to the simplicity and crudeness to most MK2 Fatalities (still Mk is the best in this aspect as they seemed more "real"). Squishing your opponent with a MK arcade machine? Yell at them so their soul leaves the body horrified and escapes running? Turn into a giant and step on them? The animalities were also lame.

The fighting system in MK2 was much better, it relied more in outsmarting your opponent and resulted in much more fun and interesting fights. In MK3 reflexes and good inputs were everything and one good combo could take almost half your health bar. You just needed to attack as fast as possible hoping that your opponent wouldn´t be able to react in time. The roster was much more balanced in 2 as well, everyone had their tricks and was usable: Kitana was the queen of air battles, Scorpion (offensively) and Baraka (defensively) could dominate both air and ground, Sub Zero and Shang Tsung were great zoning characters, Mileena was a purple blaze, Liu Kang could rush or fight from far, Jax was a beast in close quarters but also had some tricks for long range, Reptile was the weirdest and had the most surprising tactics... In MK3 however, there were some overpowered characters like Liu Kang and Kabal which couldn´t be matched by anyone else and other useless characters.

I love both games, but there´s no kontest.

I'm a big MK fan but MK 3 was never my cup of tea, I played MK 1-2 for many hours as a young lad and find myself returning to these games quite often as they are still fun to play (bullshit A.I aside) I used to enjoy MK triolgy and UMK3 but style over substance. I'm still a big fan of the series and will be for the rest of my days so here is a complete list of my favys from best to worst, I know the OP did not ask for this but any excuse to talk about MK.

MK2>MK>MK9>MK:SM>MKX>MK:T>UMK3>MK:D>MK4>MK:DA>MK3>MKA

.Anema

Mortal Kombat 2 has better rooster, better fatality, better character design, better stages... So, for me, MKII is a better game.

Oemenia

Banned
I thought this would be a good place to ask but I've got the Arcade Kollection on PS3, when I play UMK3 it seems to only repeat half the stages. I'm playing against my friend a lot and it's got really boring seeing the same few.

Top Bottom