• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat 2 vs. Mortal Kombat 3

Gono

Banned
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=812155

8k0A4lx.jpg

Tz9og26.jpg

D0wI7Ps.jpg

xs0gump.png

Holy mother of Shang Tsung.

Cancelled?

sad-baby-o.gif

Carnby

MK2 by far. So many quarters spent.

I hardly touched MK3, something about the art style turned me off.

And the fatalities.
And the dial combos.
And the Shao Kahn death sequence.
And the music.
And the Anamalites.

Everything about MK3 was inferior.

Skynet87

Neo Member
Looking at the screen for MK3, there was no scorpion? I loved this game but I didn't even realize till now that there was no scorpion.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Looking at the screen for MK3, there was no scorpion? I loved this game but I didn't even realize till now that there was no scorpion.
Yeah, but he was in UMK3. I'm pretty sure that was the plan from the beginning.

dcx4610

I still enjoyed MK3 but it kinda jumped the shark. Way too many characters, palette swaps, goofy Fatalities and a silly story.

MK2 had excellent gameplay but I thought that one too got too silly. I'm a firm supporter of MK1 and it's rip off of Enter the Dragon. I liked seeing actual humans and ninjas with a bit of camp added in. All of the Outworld stuff ruined the series to me.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yeah, but he was in UMK3. I'm pretty sure that was the plan from the beginning.

Nope, the plan from the beginning was that they needed to hire a new cast of Mo-cap actors because they reneged on a verbal agreement to pay them better royalties on MK1 and 2 when those became gigantic.

nikos

MK2 was the best one IMO. I believe it came out when I was living in Greece, and I had to import it from the U.S. as a 10 year old.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Nope, the plan from the beginning was that they needed to hire a new cast of Mo-cap actors because they reneged on a verbal agreement to pay them better royalties on MK1 and 2 when those became gigantic.
But does this really mean that they couldn't have Scorpion – a guy who wears a mask to begin with – in the original release of the game if they really wanted to?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
But does this really mean that they couldn't have Scorpion – a guy who wears a mask to begin with – in the original release of the game if they really wanted to?

Who knows? It's clear they wanted a clean break. Maybe they were worried about a lawsuit, stranger things have happened.

Zolbrod

I put lots of hours into 1 and 2, but I just hated the look and feel of 3.
Never looked back at the series until 9, which was fantastic.

Aesthetically, the cyborgs were far inferior to the regular ninjas. And Sub Zero's new costume in MK3 was terrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible imo. The standard ninja SZ and Scorpion have always been the best.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
MK2: better music, fatalities, mystery, aesthetics, and better pit fatalities

Edit: even the pain screams are better in MK2. God MK3 was bad

Bog

Junior Ace
MK2 is just plain amazing. MK3 was fine, and exciting, when it was fresh and new, but MK2 still holds up. So much more strategy when you're not just running and dialing combos.

It was simply a much more cohesive game. It also had better secrets. I remember the first time I saw a friendship - it kind of blew my mind lol.

Oh yea! I remember clearly the first time I saw one. My friend and me freaked out and spent the rest of the afternoon losing against the cpu hoping to see another one. It was Shang Tsung's rainbow.

I have the Arcade Kollection on 360. Played/finished MK1 in a reasonable time frame. MK2? Nope. That bullshit game can take a long walk off a short pier. The AI is an absolute joke. Its one game that needs to be less "arcade perfect" to actually be any fun in SP mode. Im guessing when most people say MK2 is great they have to be talking about PvP because the SP is the very definition of un-fun. The only way to beat opponents past the 6th or 7th Kombatant in SP mode is to cheese a certain pattern of flying/summersault kicks over & over. Sucks balls. Played it recently, got to the final boss, lost what seemed like 1000 times & said F this, life is too short.

Is the SP in MK3 any better or is it the same BS designed to suck quarters out of pockets at the arcade by making the AI impossible?

Why aren't we comparing mk2 to umk3? UMK3 is better gameplay wise, but I'm better at MK2 so I personally like the game better haha (I used to play MK2 somewhat competitively). MK2 has superior character designs too, but gameplay is what matters so UMK3 got it beat. MK2 was broken as fuck, Jax and Mileena dominated that game and no one else came close.

MK2 has better stages and atmosphere. And fatalities. MK3 (UMK3) has better gameplay.

Yep. Once again I'll admit that I personally prefer MK2 (was never good at UMK3), but UMK3 is a way better game when you're talking about straight up competitive gameplay.

Also, Trilogy is a broken mess. Stay away.

Valkrai

I have the Arcade Kollection on 360. Played/finished MK1 in a reasonable time frame. MK2? Nope. That bullshit game can take a long walk off a short pier. The AI is an absolute joke. Its one game that needs to be less "arcade perfect" to actually be any fun in SP mode. Im guessing when most people say MK2 is great they have to be talking about PvP because the SP is the very definition of un-fun. The only way to beat opponents past the 6th or 7th Kombatant in SP mode is to cheese a certain pattern of flying/summersault kicks over & over. Sucks balls. Played it recently, got to the final boss, lost what seemed like 1000 times & said F this, life is too short.

Is the SP in MK3 any better or is it the same BS designed to suck quarters out of pockets at the arcade by making the AI impossible?

IMO it's even worse than MK2. The bullshit starts at the third enemy and gets even more frustrating. Good luck beating Shao Kahn, he can fuck right off.

If you get to Shao Kahn in MK2, just pick Mileena and keep doing the teleport kick continuously. Fight Cheese with cheese.

And yeah, I think the MK3/UMK3 AI is worse.

IMO it's even worse than MK2. The bullshit starts at the third enemy and gets even more frustrating. Good luck beating Shao Kahn, he can fuck right off.

Lol I was afraid of that.

If you get to Shao Kahn in MK2, just pick Mileena and keep doing the teleport kick continuously. Fight Cheese with cheese.

And yeah, I think the MK3/UMK3 AI is worse.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. Mileena, my dear, get ready.

Side Note: Was the SP mode on any of the console versions actually playable/fun? I seem to remember playing MK 1 &/or MK2 on a buddy's SNES & we had a good time playing against the CPU, not just each other. But maybe my memory is playing tricks on me....

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Side Note: Was the SP mode on any of the console versions actually playable/fun? I seem to remember playing MK 1 &/or MK2 on a buddy's SNES & we had a good time playing against the CPU, not just each other. But maybe my memory is playing tricks on me....

I got the PS1 classic version of MK2 on PS3. AI was horrible and vicious. Turned me off of the game entirely.

I actually really like that.

Huh. To each his or her own, I suppose. Personally I'd rank his MKX face even lower than his dopey MK4 face.

MK2 was the better game but both were so damn good. That sound when you put your coin in and start to select your character. I also love the dial-a-combo's for whatever reason. The music was fantastic in 3 as well.

Jaeger

Agh, you're right. I'd rank his MKX face just above his dopey MK4 face.

Let me ask you this. If MKX Reptile was like a horror film villain or fantasy film character, would you dislike the design still? Same storyline. Ancient lizard man race who fights in Mortal Kombat tournaments to the death.

No Scorpion and no Raiden automatically make OG MK3 the inferior game. Fatalities were also better in MK2.

But man, single player in MK2 is broken. Anything after the 3rd CPU opponent and you stand no chance...

KingJ2002

MK2 easily... I hated MK3 until Ultimate... and even then... nothing could capture the magic MK2 brought until MK9 was released.

Top Bottom