• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat 8 REVEALED IN ALL ITS GLOR...wait, what is this?

Foil

I don't even know what to say... I guess they really do want to kill any remaining interest I have in Mortal Kombat.

sajj316

Tiduz said:

Excellent rant on youtube. Yes, I felt as though I've been kicked in the nuts as well. Makes an excellent point about reinventing yourself but why add DC Comics? Also good point about the DC Comic fanboys that would go nuts if the storyline is not in line with the DC Universe as well as each characters image. My brother is a huge Batman fan, I wonder what he thinks.

sajj316

Reilly said:
I'm sure this has been mentioned already, but a DC vs. Marvel fighting game would be awesome.

That would make sense ... DC versus MK ...

Sorry dude, :( too upset to even finish my comment :(

tralfazz

Hey Midway, since you are getting MK all crazy why not add Brock Sampson. Opponent's own finger up his own ass or Brock's for a fatality would be great. Insta-buy!

Fine, I'll do it...

"So Batman, what are your comments on the new Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe game?"

batmanoface.jpg

Wonderdog

You all gotta admit, Midway is in pretty tough spot. Their last few big budget games tanked (Stranglehold, UT3, Blacksite). It's not to hard see that they're hard up for money.

But, they have this hardcore franchise that's always sold OK and few options but to open it up and try to make it more mainstream friendly. So, you add DC to the mix, getting comic book fans and consumers who have the slightest idea of who Batman and Superman are. You take out the super gore and Fatalities to make it T-rated (which will more than likely allow them to market it more heavily around the world). Then, you revamp the combat controls and dumb them down for the masses.

I can see how Midway might see this as a good business decision, but holy lord, they really do seem to be pissing off everyone else in the process.

Wonderdog said:
You all gotta admit, Midway is in pretty tough spot. Their last few big budget games tanked (Stranglehold, UT3, Blacksite). It's not to hard see that they're hard up for money.

But, they have this hardcore franchise that's always sold OK and few options but to open it up and try to make it more mainstream friendly. So, you add DC to the mix, getting comic book fans and consumers who have the slightest idea of who Batman and Superman are. You take out the super gore and Fatalities to make it T-rated (which will more than likely allow them to market it more heavily around the world). Then, you revamp the combat controls and dumb them down for the masses.

I can see how Midway might see this as a good business decision, but holy lord, they really do seem to be pissing off everyone else in the process.

You have a good point but they had this idea before those 3 games tanked. Boon said hes wanted to do a crossover game for a long time now. Plus there was some link to where they had something copywrited since like 02.

Wonderdog

BlueSummers said:
You have a good point but they had this idea before those 3 games tanked. Boon said hes wanted to do a crossover game for a long time now. Plus there was some link to where they had something copywrited since like 02.

Two words: contingency plan.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
sajj316 said:
That would make sense ... DC versus MK ...

Sorry dude, :( too upset to even finish my comment :(

This makes as much sense as Marvel vs. Capcom. i.e. Neither make any sense and MvC (and it's previous games) were all fun. This could turn out the be good, stupid fun too. Never know.

KdoubleA

I'm even more disappointed now that I've seen the trailer. I was pretty hyped up when Ed Boon first announced that they'll recreate MK for the next-gen consoles and I was hopeful they'd take the fighting mechanics in the right direction. However, looking at that trailer, it seems very similar to their last bunch of attempts only with a different graphics engine...Even the blocky animation is the same...I know it's wrong to judge and quickly jump to conclusions based on something small like this but really, this just looks the same...only with DC characters and no blood, gore, or fatalities :(

Kintaro said:
This makes as much sense as Marvel vs. Capcom. i.e. Neither make any sense and MvC (and it's previous games) were all fun. This could turn out the be good, stupid fun too. Never know.

Ok, everyone bringing up the Marvel Vs Capcom thing need to realize this...

The game was made AFTER we saw a very competent game engine running the X-Men Child of The Atom game before we got MVC. We knew what to expect and knew the original game was good. Mortal Kombat's been sucking cock longer than Sonic now.

RiZ III

Cow Mengde said:

The game was made AFTER we saw a very competent game engine running the X-Men Child of The Atom game before we got MVC. We knew what to expect and knew the original game was good. Mortal Kombat's been sucking cock longer than Sonic now.

If its been sucking so much, why are you wasting your time in an MK thread :lol

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Cow Mengde said:

Actually, all that needs to be realized is that the Vs. games made no sense at all (sans Capcom vs. SNK, SNK vs. Capcom). Period. Still fun though. Also, more people like MK still than people like to make out. Armageddon still sold well and this one will as well. No one takes these games are serious fighters and they fuck around with them and enjoy them. A lower rating may also invite more people picking it up as parents will chill a bit more and DC fans will check it out too. It's a good move.

No one in this thread is saying MK is any sort of serious fighter and has never been taken as one either so I don't understand all the grief. It's a fun fuck around fighter.

RiZ III said:
At least you admit you're just troll.

No, I'm just not retarded.

Actually, all that needs to be realized is that the Vs. games made no sense at all (sans Capcom vs. SNK, SNK vs. Capcom). Period. Still fun though. Also, more people like MK still than people like to make out. Armageddon still sold well and this one will as well. No one takes these games are serious fighters and they fuck around with them and enjoy them. A lower rating may also invite more people picking it up as parents will chill a bit more and DC fans will check it out too. It's a good move.

No one in this thread is saying MK is any sort of serious fighter and has never been taken as one either so I don't understand all the grief. It's a fun fuck around fighter.

No, I meant that there was something to go on with the Capcom Vs games. The idea isn't so far fetched due to them giving us COTA before releasing MVC. The SNK Vs game is a dream come true.

Mooreberg

sp0rsk said:
Why does this franchise still get sequels?

What other industry has a company actively making sequels to something that was popular over 10 years ago and died a horrible death?

If he wants to make something new, fucking make something new.

It's the fighting game equivalent of Sonic The Hedgehog (the Sonic 3D fighter not withstanding).

Guy Legend

Cow Mengde said:

The game was made AFTER we saw a very competent game engine running the X-Men Child of The Atom game before we got MVC. We knew what to expect and knew the original game was good.

The Marvel vs Capcom comparison has more to do with concept. For some who think it's ridiculous to see this combination of characters, it's perfectly valid how crazy it is to pair Thanos vs Jill Valentine, Servbot vs Venom, or Mega Man vs Wolverine, etc. Xmen children of the atom and Marvel super heroes were great games, so a combination collection made sense and was a lot of fun.

Similarly, this could prove to be an exciting combination of characters, expanding MK and DC appeal across categories. The dark story lines and mythologies of MK could fit very will in a fusion of DC characters.

Mortal Kombat's been sucking cock longer than Sonic now.

No. Take a look back at the overall scores the last MK games have been getting, much better than people are giving them credit for. Deadly Alliance was rated very well, Deception did just fine. Armageddon was largely a rehash and collection of all the MK characters, and the ratings dipped...though never to shit levels.

I said earlier that I was going to reserve judgement on this game. Then I found out it will be rated T.

Mortal Kombat being rated teen is as absurd as Live Free or Die Hard being PG-13.

Me=Dissapointed

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i'm surprised to see so many people who expected so much from a mortal kombat game. at this point, feeling any passing interest whatsoever is a shock.

RiZ III

beelzebozo said:
i'm surprised to see so many people who expected so much from a mortal kombat game. at this point, feeling any passing interest whatsoever is a shock.

I don't think anyone really cared about it, this thread was dead until the DC rumor was almost confirmed to be true. At that point people(http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10790158&postcount=1170) who haven't played MK in the past 10 years decided it would be a great opportunity to flame and be trolls.

Dante

RiZ III said:
I don't think anyone really cared about it, this thread was dead until the DC rumor was almost confirmed to be true. At that point people(http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10790158&postcount=1170) who haven't played MK in the past 10 years decided it would be a great opportunity to flame and be trolls.

I thought it looked great, but please push the envelope with the enviornments. Multi level, etc. The best part of the vid was fighting while falling, I hope there's a ton of surprises like that.

a.wd

Man imagine the fatalities...

green lantern imagines a giant chainsaw up your ass,

Martian manhunter turns into an emo version of you and you kill yourself,

Superman reduces you to your component atoms,

flash 100 foot kicks your nuts out your back,

batman takes you to jail....introduces you to bubba....

I dunno this could at least be funny....

I thought the fatalities were out for this one. This game is not going to be M rated either. I am so excited BTW.....................:lol

Yeah........I'm a liar

LowParry

I don't think DC would want their characters to be decapitated by Scorpions spear. So the lack of fatalities is quite -quite- disturbing.

LowParry

"But, and this is the biggy, there won't be bone crunching, spine shattering fatalities. Instead, Ed intends to include finishing moves, which will work similarly to fatalities in that they will be spectacular attacks designed to finish your opponent, but they won't involve tearing Batman's head off, or pulling Superman's heart out and showing it to him."

I think a little part of my Mortal Kombat side just died. I'm very sad.

Struct09

I love the MK games (Deadly Alliance and Deception included), but this game is going to have to get damn good reviews to get my attention :-/

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Don't know if this was posted. Don't care if it was:

CHICAGO - April 18 , 2008 – Midway Games Inc. (NYSE: MWY), a leading interactive entertainment software publisher and developer, today announced Mortal Kombat® vs. DC Universe, licensed by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. When a cataclysmic force merges conquerors from two universes, conflict is inevitable. Kombat forces friends to fight, worlds to collide, and unlikely alliances to be forged. In order to save all they know, the heroes and villains of Mortal Kombat must wage war against the combined might of the DC Universe (DCU). How can either side prevail when rage blinds them to the dark threat poised to destroy them all?

For the first time ever Scorpion, Sub Zero and the warriors from Midway's billion-dollar fighting franchise face off against Batman, Superman and other iconic and powerful DC Super Heroes, featuring signature attacks for both sides and a unique and intertwining storyline, written as a collaboration between the Mortal Kombat creative team and top comic scribes Jimmy Palmiotti (Painkiller Jane, Marvel Nights, Jonah Hex, 21 Down) and Justin Gray (Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, JLA Classified, Punisher Red X-Mas, The Resistance) MK vs. DCU is slated to ship for the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system and Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft in Fall 2008.

"It is a truly unique and extremely exciting effort to be teaming up with Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and DC Comics for the first Mortal Kombat game on next generation platforms," said Ed Boon, co-creator and executive producer for Mortal Kombat at Midway Amusement Games. "The DC Universe characters are some of the most popular and enduring characters in the world. By combining them with the Mortal Kombat mythology, all new gameplay modes and features, plus a completely unique storyline crafted by top comic writers, players will now be able to answer the question: what would happen if Batman fought Sub Zero?"

"Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe will provide a wide audience of fans and gamers match-ups of their favorite characters in battles like they've never experienced before," said Scott Johnson, Vice President, Business Development for Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. "Midway's new Mortal Kombat gameplay paired with DC Comics' popular characters will offer players a multitude of combat options and incredible face offs."

"For the first time, players will be able to go toe to toe with DC and MK characters in both arena and story mode," said John Nee, Senior Vice President, Business Development for DC Comics. "We've worked very closely with Midway to bring an authentic DCU flavor to their Kombat and the result features our characters like they've never been seen before."

Download Trailer
Download Trailer Download Trailer

About MK vs. DCU

For the first time ever Scorpion, Sub-Zero and the Mortal Kombat warriors battle with Batman, Superman and other popular DC Universe Super Heroes. Choose your side and challenge your opponents with a new fighting system including Freefall Kombat and Klose Kombat along with dynamic multi-tiered environments. Plus, pick your favorite character from MK or DCU and pursue a fighting adventure in the new single player mode with an intertwined storyline and two unique perspectives.

And MAJOR :lol :lol at how shitty the trailer looked. My God that was terrible.

Top Bottom