• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat 8 REVEALED IN ALL ITS GLOR...wait, what is this?

Lol. Such rage. I'd hate to see what you'd do to somebody actually ruining your precious series with a shot at relevance. Guess head ripping just doesn't pay the bills. :'(

Draft

Shockgamer said:
Lol. Such rage. I'd hate to see what you'd do to somebody actually ruining your precious series with a shot at relevance. Guess head ripping just doesn't pay the bills. :'(
Precious as a turd. MK hasn't been decent since the second one, and it hasn't been halfway decent since the Dreamcast game. Don't mistake my disgust at the further desecration of MK's corpse as anger. I resolved myself to this series' fate long ago.

Though maybe you'd be mad to know that the recent games, in spite of being ass jenkem, sell millions of copies a piece and are perhaps the most relevant fighters being made today.

Mad? Eh. Not really. Good for them I guess. My attachment to the fighting genre is casual at best.

Though if MK by itself sold so well, I could only imagine how this is going to do next to a Dark Knight DVD release. *whistles*

twinturbo2 said:
I just found out that there will be another Blitz: The League game. Midway am redeemed. :D

I desire new NBA Jam.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
NO FATALITIES!

YOU GUYS WILL BUY IT ANYWAY!

And LOL, why didn't they JUST make a DC fighting game instead?!?!?!!

Teknoman

Draft said:
You fucking newb.

Sub Zero has the gross MK fatality. The gory, awesome fatality that defined the entire series.

Freezing you into a block of ice. I wish I could freeze you into a block of ice.

I thought Kano was always the defined guy. The whole heart ripping thing.

Caj814

Draft said:
You fucking newb.

Sub Zero has the gross MK fatality. The gory, awesome fatality that defined the entire series.

Freezing you into a block of ice. I wish I could freeze you into a block of ice.

I thought it was the original Spine Rip from MK1?Thats was the one always mentioned in news stories with the soccer moms having a fit.:lol

Khalid-S

Some screen caps

picture2479b8.png

picture464b63.png

picture5ef0cb.png

picture7c652e.png

picture89e9dd.png

picture9f537c.png

picture1012746.png

picture111a8b2.png

picture1206650.png

picture147ddc2.png

picture15bbcbd.png

Caj814 said:
I thought it was the original Spine Rip from MK1?Thats was the one always mentioned in news stories with the soccer moms having a fit.:lol

Sub-Zero's MK1 fatality is the Spine Rip.

I was more of a kiss of death fan myself.

Also:
picture15bbcbd.png
:lol

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Why is it that we can get photorealistic models in games but the blood effects haven't advanced past what they were doing in 92?

SapientWolf said:
Notice that I didn't say MK games.

Notice you still said photo-realistic :lol

Also to answer yours question it's because in fighter you can choose from stylistic blood, Tekken explosions or ending up like Tao Feng.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Spirit of Jazz said:
Notice you still said photo-realistic :lol

Also to answer yours question it's because in fighter you can choose from stylistic blood, Tekken explosions or ending up like Tao Feng.

Eiji said:
impact17.jpg

Holy crap! That looks real!

And about the blood... It's the same particle effect in almost every game. You don't see a lot of bleeding cuts, gashes, lacerations, bloody noses, etc. It's rarely even treated like a liquid, so you don't see it pooling, dripping, or spreading. And I guess I shouldn't complain, because the sight of blood makes me faint. I just thought it was weird that so few advancements have been made with blood and gore all these years.

:(

Man, the character actually look good. Sub-zero and Scorpion are looking more "human", I mean, their bodies are not huge with enormous arms like in MKV and beyond, they look way better now. But WTF with this DC thing. WTF, Boon.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Caj814 said:

Subby had an awesome Spine Rip in Deception I think. Made MK1's look retarded.

picture111a8b2.png

what normally happens when you uppercut someone in MK? that's right, you're rewarded with a gallon of blood going everywhere. sadly tis not the case here.

shuri

Banned
Let's have a serious discussion here about mk's fatalities.

It's obvious that it was getting REALLY HARD to try to come up with new interesting fatalities in MK: Deception and MK:Deadly alliance. Even when MK3 came out, the fatalities were decried by fans as being uninspired. Nothing will ever match the grittyness and shock factors of the fatalities of the first two games.

In MK4, the lack of inspiration was beginning to show. There's only so many ways you can kill someone; it also didnt help that the medias were really down on violence at the time, so Midway had to go down the 'wacky' fatalities way.

I've been a non-weird MK fan since the first game randomly popped up at the local arcade (and it was NOTHING like we had ever seen before back then).. but think about the whole situation from Boon's perspective..

MK1 had 7 characters, one fatality per character
Mk2 had 12, 2 fatals per character
Mk3+UMK3+MKT had over 35 characters, 2 fatals per character
Mk4 had around 16 rejetcs, 2 fatals
MK:DA had around 20 people, two fatals
MK:DE had around 20 people, two fatals each

So that's around 170+ original fatalities that had to be designed over the years. There's only so many ways you can cut heads and rip arms. The whole custom fatality thing for MK:armageddon was actually awesome for the random factor. I actually enjoyed it.

Can you people honestly come up with fatalities that would be interesting? I remember being 13 and coming up with stuff, but they were eventually all made their way into the games over the years, which isnt surprising considering how hard it is to come up with stuff as the series advanced.

I think they are going to go with finishing moves along the lines of neck-crackings, limbs-breakings and various magic-style stuff like soul-stealing and electrocution. That's about as far as they will be able to go.

I can't imagine what kind of design nightmare it is for the team now that they've really come up with everything.

mr stroke

Ether_Snake said:
THERE ARE NONE. It has been announced.

really WTF is this???!!!
Take what has been the BIGGEST selling point of the franchise and get rid of it?:lol
Sad really.....even more so because this was supposed to be the big comeback title for the MK series. I was hoping for dark and bloody but oh well. Still day 1(as long as there is online)

they probably dont want fatalities because DC doesnt want to see their characters get ripped to shreds. Kind of like Gran turismo series and car damage

mr stroke

shuri said:
Let's have a serious discussion here about mk's fatalities.

It's obvious that it was getting REALLY HARD to try to come up with new interesting fatalities in MK: Deception and MK:Deadly alliance. Even when MK3 came out, the fatalities were decried by fans as being uninspired. Nothing will ever match the grittyness and shock factors of the fatalities of the first two games.

In MK4, the lack of inspiration was beginning to show. There's only so many ways you can kill someone; it also didnt help that the medias were really down on violence at the time, so Midway had to go down the 'wacky' fatalities way.

I've been a non-weird MK fan since the first game randomly popped up at the local arcade (and it was NOTHING like we had ever seen before back then).. but think about the whole situation from Boon's perspective..

MK1 had 7 characters, one fatality per character
Mk2 had 12, 2 fatals per character
Mk3+UMK3+MKT had over 35 characters, 2 fatals per character
Mk4 had around 16 rejetcs, 2 fatals
MK:DA had around 20 people, two fatals
MK:DE had around 20 people, two fatals each

So that's around 170+ original fatalities that had to be designed over the years. There's only so many ways you can cut heads and rip arms. The whole custom fatality thing for MK:armageddon was actually awesome for the random factor. I actually enjoyed it.

Can you people honestly come up with fatalities that would be interesting? I remember being 13 and coming up with stuff, but they were eventually all made their way into the games over the years, which isnt surprising considering how hard it is to come up with stuff as the series advanced.

I think they are going to go with finishing moves along the lines of neck-crackings, limbs-breakings and various magic-style stuff like soul-stealing and electrocution. That's about as far as they will be able to go.

I can't imagine what kind of design nightmare it is for the team now that they've really come up with everything.

I agree that coming up with new ideas can be hard, but with all the "next gen" power here they should be able to at least find ways to present old ones with better graphics/presentation. Trust me, there are a million ways to die.

Ferrio

Banned
You guys are totally wrong. Fatalities didn't define Mortal Kombat.

Shitty gameplay and bad art did. By the looks of it, I'm sure they'll deliver. No need to worry, your precious MK will be the same.

Acid08

Banned
I'm....uh......I don't even know. MK always holds a special place in my heart. MK2 was the first game I ever beat when I was a little tyke. This though.....

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Ferrio said:

Shitty gameplay and bad art did. By the looks of it, I'm sure they'll deliver. No need to worry, your precious MK will be the same.
MK and MK2 were arguably the most realistic looking games in the arcade when they were released, and the gameplay was better than the hopeless SF clones glutting the market. It's hard to imagine that now that the series is in such a decline, but at the time it was a solid, if gimmicky, 2nd tier fighter.

The true shit were the blatant rip-offs like Time Killers.

RiZ III

Ferrio said:

Ferrio is just mad because MK games didn't have enough fan service:lol

Congratulations MKII, you are still the best in the series.

I wish the people at Midway would get their heads out of their ass and remember what it was they did to draw in drones of people to the arcade when MK2 hit. Maybe it was the timing, maybe it was that period in time itself, maybe it was something unexplained....but it sure as hell wasn't this.

Have fun going up against Tekken 6 and VF5:R...sheesh

pgtl_10

From a business perspective why would Midway stuff DC into the series? Mortal Kombat is more successful than most of the old fighters. It was only fighters you could argue that it would sell pretty well. Street Fighter sales could not endure like Mortal Kombat. Adding DC characters might help from a sales perspective but ultimately destroy the series because no blood or fatalities will put off a lot of MK's fans.

Top Bottom