• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat 8 REVEALED IN ALL ITS GLOR...wait, what is this?

turk128

This makes EA Chicago's defunct Marvel fighter look like a masterpiece (I actually really liked what they were doing style wise with that game).

turk128 said:
This makes EA Chicago's defunct Marvel fighter look like a masterpiece (I actually really liked what they were doing style wise with that game).

Easy to praise a game that never came out.
This one is just announced and people are writing it off.

Draft

Eiji said:
4hfdax.gif
4hfdax.gif
4hfdax.gif
4hfdax.gif

So good. Best MK by far. The only black mark is the inexplicable removal of Sub Zero's fatality. Everything else is amazing.

pgtl_10

OokieSpookie said:

Well the recent Mortal Kombat games are the American equivalent to the recent Sonic games.

pgtl_10

apocalidiot

Some of us like the series and hope it returns to its former glory. Ed Boon improved the series bit by bit and there was some hope for this game until the news.

turk128

OokieSpookie said:
The same can be said for the Marvel game from EA Chicago. Now we have about the same amount of media and info about both but looking back... it looks leaps and bounds better than this on every level.

Monocle

I'm regarding this game with extremely cautious optimism, because Deadly Alliance, Deception and Armageddon all appeal to me as aperitifs to the far more substantial fare of Tekken, Virtua Fighter and Soul Calibur. As long as one doesn't make the mistake of holding Mortal Kombat to the standards of serious fighting games, there's a measure of fun to be had in each entry of the series.

Regrettably, Gamespot's preview doesn't exactly have me brimming with confidence that MK vs DC will be any good. Klose Kombat and Freefall Kombat sound like classic examples of Midway's tendency to forgo deep gameplay mechanics for a cheap gimmick. The loss of Fatalities is an especially hard pill to swallow, but it's probably for the best after the hideous abomination that is Armageddon's Create-a-Fatality system. Also, the physics don't appear to be much of a step above Midway's offerings in the previous generation (though it's obviously too early to tell for sure). Still, if nothing else, I think MK vs DC has the potential to be an amusing diversion as long as its combo system retains the freeform patchworky quality that makes MKDA, MKD and--to a lesser extent--MKA so accessible. I'll consider picking it up when it hits the bargain bin, pending further details. (I can has roster infos?)

pgtl_10 said:
apocalidiot

Some of us like the series and hope it returns to its former glory. Ed Boon improved the series bit by bit and there was some hope for this game until the news.

I love the series too, but not everything is going to change back to how it was. I kind of realized that after I came to terms with never getting Halo CE online. At least you bastards got MK3 online for XBLA...

Pachinko

Wow this is such a bad idea , midway is going to go bankrupt thanks to stuff like this.

I mean is there even a single person in this thread who was interested in this game at all after it was officially unveiled as MK VS DC ?

It's going to get a ton of pity rentals and that's about it.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Khalid-S said:
Some screen caps

picture2479b8.png
I love fighting games. Hell, I even love mortal kombat. But this is just crazy. :lol

It might be so crazy it could actually be fun... :x I can't wait to get my hands on this.

Anyanka

Free fall and close kombat looks super lame. It's just going to be canned paper/rock/scissors sequences. As always Ed will talk big and fail. Remember "air combat" last time? Wow it's canned strings...but like, in the air! Hopefully nobody listens to him again.

DC crossover is worth it if I can play Aquaman.

Xater said:
Yeah and how about some facial animations?
We'll have to wait for them to show a character whose facial expression ever changes first.

Boon says the game will still have "Finishers", just not "Fatalities". For most of the people who made the last few MK games into million sellers, it will suffice, I'm quite sure.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
Segata Sanshiro said:
Boon says the game will still have "Finishers", just not "Fatalities". For most of the people who made the last few MK games into million sellers, it will suffice, I'm quite sure.

I can't believe the day has come where there will be a MK game without Fatalities.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Anyanka said:
Free fall and close kombat looks super lame. It's just going to be canned paper/rock/scissors sequences. As always Ed will talk big and fail. Remember "air combat" last time? Wow it's canned strings...but like, in the air! Hopefully nobody listens to him again.

DC crossover is worth it if I can play Aquaman.

You gotta remember - back when Ed was designing the original Mortal Kombat, he flat out admitted in an interview (it might have been in EGM, I don't recall) that he went to an arcade and tried to play Street Fighter... and couldn't comprehend how it the game worked.

Therefore, he set out to make a fighter even HE could play...

Dizzle24

This is a late April Fools joke, right?

RIGHT?

I mean, seriously.

I will wait to see how this develops... but..seriously.

WTF Midway. :lol

Corporate logic:

1. DC characters could fight Mortal Kombat characters!
2. DC characters cannot be seen to die.
3. No fatalities.
4. Mortal Kombat is not mortal.

1. Project Gotham could have great damage system!
2. We want BMWs in Project Gotham.
3. BMW doesn't want their cars to flip.
4. Project Gotham doesn't have a great damage system.

Well done, capitalism. Well fucking done.

I hope everybody involved get pushed into a spike pit.

krackerjack said:
Congratulations MKII, you are still the best in the series.

I wish the people at Midway would get their heads out of their ass and remember what it was they did to draw in drones of people to the arcade when MK2 hit. Maybe it was the timing, maybe it was that period in time itself, maybe it was something unexplained....but it sure as hell wasn't this.

Until Tao Feng I've always thought John Tobias was the one responsible to make MK 2 so good, now I think it was some kind of weird combination between Boon and Tobias since they've never got it right again when working alone.

As far as favorite MK goes mine are:

Best
MKII
MK4 (It's a good game!)
UMK3
MK1 and Trilogy
MK3 (worst cast ever)
Armageddon
Deadly Alliance
Deception
Worst

FFChris

Wolves Evolve said:
Corporate logic:

3. No fatalities.

Urm, actually we'd prefer you to call it the ball pit from now on. Thanks.

Dever

Banned
Wolves Evolve said:
Corporate logic:

3. No fatalities.

Seriously. I can't fathom how they managed to decide that playable Batman > fatalities. It just doesn't... make... sense...

nightside

the only thing that could redeem this game will be the chance to kick sub-zero in the nuts using lobo.

that's it

edit: bad english:lol

nightside said:
the only thing that could redime this game will be the chance to kick sub-zero in the nuts using lobo.

that's it

Did you mean 'redeem'? 'Re-dime' is what is being done to us.

Stop lying to yourself everybody.. Mortal Kombat... is over. It needed a total overhaul, it got an undermine.

Courtesy of someone who works at Zipper, who was e-mailed by his friend at Midway:

You should have been there when they announced it to the Midway staff last year, I swear some dude in the back row yelled out “lame”.

Needless to say it was not a well received idea from a lot of people who worked there.

:lol

You know what I want to see next?

Bankruptcy Vs. Midway

Madman

Cruzader said:
Next year, it will be:

MK vs WWE

Confirmed!

Tripple H vs Scorpion!!!!
They could re-introduce fatalities, and have people's head pop when they are hit by the Five Knuckle Shuffle.

Prime crotch said:
Until Tao Feng I've always thought John Tobias was the one responsible to make MK 2 so good, now I think it was some kind of weird combination between Boon and Tobias since they've never got it right again when working alone.

As far as favorite MK goes mine are:

Best
MKII
MK4 (It's a good game!)
UMK3
MK1 and Trilogy
MK3 (worst cast ever)
Armageddon
Deadly Alliance
Deception
Worst
wat