• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat 8 REVEALED IN ALL ITS GLOR...wait, what is this?

De-mon

Code:
Best
MKII
MK4 (It's a good game!)
UMK3
MK1 and Trilogy
MK3 (worst cast ever)
Armageddon
Deadly Alliance
Deception
Worst

mgsdoublespeakavi4.jpg

MK Deadly Alliance >>>>>> MK4

dark_chris

Gold Member
Cruzader said:
Next year, it will be:

MK vs WWE

Confirmed!

Tripple H vs Scorpion!!!!

I can imagine the pedigree as a fatality when as soon as the attack is done, the neck is snapped.

People's elbow...run one side then run to another...do lil taunt, elbow and for some reason the body explodes.

Stunner - Soon as the stunner is done, the head comes off.

Sorry, i am just too hyper today. XD

DuckRacer

Wolves Evolve said:
1. Project Gotham could have great damage system!
2. We want BMWs in Project Gotham.
3. BMW doesn't want their cars to flip.
4. Project Gotham doesn't have a great damage system.
what

Is that all true?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Seriously, were they really afraid that a DC-only Fighting game would NOT sell?

Xater

Duck said:
what

Is that all true?

That's news to you? That's the same reason why cars in GT don't flip.

Seriously, were they really afraid that a DC-only Fighting game would NOT sell?

Maybe they were afraid to not having a team with fighting game experience. why they went witht he MK guys is still a mystery. :D

After seeing those screengrabs from the trailer, I'm saddened that Street Fighter IV's the only 3D fighting game from the past few years with facial expressions.

Also, I need a new Killer Instinct. Stats!

I'm there. I think it'll be cool. Marvel vs Capcom made some boring Marvel characters suddenly come to life for me. Now maybe this MKvDC thing will do the same with DC characters.

Besides, I thought the video looked pretty sweet. Then again, I'm a huge fighting game fan anyway, and not the typical jaded douchebag here on GAF, so maybe I'm a bit biased. With Soul Calibur 4, Street Fighter 4, and King of Fighters 12 all hitting this year, I think there's enough traditional fighting game goodness there to make room for something crazy like Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe. Count me in.

fernoca

Ninja Scooter said:
from the video it looks like they're reusing the same ol' engine from last gen. Combat and graphics look the same. Thats a shame.
Totally different engine..
It may look similar, since you only see 2 characters throwing punches and kicks at each other..they also probably combined Sub-Zero's fighting styles from previous games into one..

Xater said:
Yeah and how about some facial animations?
The other games had them (even bruises and cuts in their faces as the fight went on), this will too....

The DC side of the game seems intringuing. Too bad my interest in the Mortal Kombat is zero. No, sub-zero (you got it?) :lol

/worst.joke.ever

It'd be cool to have a Marvel vs. DC with 2D sprites in HD though.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
De-mon said:
Code:
Best
MKII
MK4 (It's a good game!)
UMK3
MK1 and Trilogy
MK3 (worst cast ever)
Armageddon
Deadly Alliance
Deception
Worst

mgsdoublespeakavi4.jpg

As a fighting game, yeah, I guess Deadly Alliance had better balance and a better move list. But MK4 felt like MK2.5 to me in a lot of ways, so nostalgia probably made me forgive its faults. It was just good, stupid, arcadey fun. Deadly Alliance also had the misfortune of being released right after Soul Calibur and Virtua Fighter 4 locked down the console fighting game market.

MK vs DC is going to have the same problem if it releases in 2008. It will be going toe to toe with SFIV and Soul Calibur IV.

fernoca

SapientWolf said:
As a fighting game, yeah, I guess Deadly Alliance had better balance and a better move list. But MK4 felt like MK2.5 to me in a lot of ways, so nostalgia probably made me forgive its faults. It was just good, stupid, arcadey fun. Deadly Alliance also had the misfortune of being released right after Soul Calibur and Virtua Fighter 4 locked down the console fighting game market.

MK vs DC is going to have the same problem if it releases in 2008. It will be going toe to toe with SFIV and Soul Calibur IV.
That depends though..
On the mindset of the "hardcore gamer" yeah, SCIV, SFIV and VF5-R are going to be God inside a disc/Blu-Ray...while MK is shit. sucks, lame, whatever..

Yet, sales wise..MK never had any problems outselling them....we'll have to see if adding 'DC Universe' to the mix either helps it..or breaks it..

Insane Metal said:
wat

MK4 ahead of MK1, 3 and UMK3 :O

NO WAI DUDE
Yes way! MK1 is too old now, I still love it but I'm not picking up my Game Gear version (since my Mega Drive is out of commision) anytime soon. I hated MK3's cast but UMK3 fixed that, but I've always liked MK4 better.
De-mon said:
Deadly Alliance is shit, one of the worst collectaton games I've ever been hyped for. There was some awful combat engine in there somewhere.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Prime crotch said:
Until Tao Feng I've always thought John Tobias was the one responsible to make MK 2 so good, now I think it was some kind of weird combination between Boon and Tobias since they've never got it right again when working alone.

As far as favorite MK goes mine are:

Best
MKII
MK4 (It's a good game!)
UMK3
MK1 and Trilogy
MK3 (worst cast ever)
Armageddon
Deadly Alliance
Deception
Worst

Agreed. Mortal Kombat II is by far the best, and Mortal Kombat 4 is actually a decent game. Not to mention having those terrific endings. I had fun with Ultimate Mortal Kombat, and Trilogy.. but after enough years of playing, the lack of quality even in the 'good' Mortal Kombats is very apparent.

The series created a few decent characters, but it's beyond repair now.

Cynar

SketchTheArtist said:
After seeing those screengrabs from the trailer, I'm saddened that Street Fighter IV's the only 3D fighting game from the past few years with facial expressions.

Also, I need a new Killer Instinct. Stats!

Brawl has facial expressions.

Anyway, that trailer didn't look that bad, I'm curious how it'll play.

Dina

EvilMario said:
Agreed. Mortal Kombat II is by far the best, and Mortal Kombat 4 is actually a decent game. Not to mention having those terrific endings. I had fun with Ultimate Mortal Kombat, and Trilogy.. but after enough years of playing, the lack of quality even in the 'good' Mortal Kombats is very apparent.

The series created a few decent characters, but it's beyond repair now.

How you guys score MK4 above any MK3 iteration is beyond me.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
fernoca said:
That depends though..
On the mindset of the "hardcore gamer" yeah, SCIV, SFIV and VF5-R are going to be God inside a disc/Blu-Ray...while MK is shit. sucks, lame, whatever..

Yet, sales wise..MK never had any problems outselling them....we'll have to see if adding 'DC Universe' to the mix either helps it..or breaks it..
Street Fighter 2 alone outsold every MK game combined.

According to metacritic:

MK: Deadly Alliance: 81, 81, 79
MK: Deception: 81, 81, 77
MK: Armageddon: 77, 75, 71

I dunno guys. Those scores aren't amazing, but don't jive with the current GAFpinion.

Is it generally agreed upon that the "baditude" of the Mortal Kombat series has become intolerable? I don't know, maybe it was cool to kids in the 90s, but the over the top, gory decapitations and what not doesn't make me feel any more compelled to play a Mortal Kombat game than for instance, a Street Fighter game.

LakeEarth

Shockgamer said:
According to metacritic:

MK: Deadly Alliance: 81, 81, 79
MK: Deception: 81, 81, 77
MK: Armageddon: 77, 75, 71

I dunno guys. Those scores aren't amazing, but don't jive with the current GAFpinion.
The high scores of these games were more due to all the little modes they put into them, ie puzzle mode, chess mode, story mode, etc. If the games were rated entirely by its fighting engine, they'd be way lower.

Dali

fernoca said:
That depends though..

Maybe... Maybe... in the U.S., but total worldwide sales? I'd like to see some numbers as I'm pretty sure for all intents and purposes, MK doesn't even exist in Japan.

edit:

From Wiki's list of best-selling games:

PS2 - Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance (1.7 million in US)
PS2 - Tekken Tag Tournament (2.06 million approximately, 1.61 million in US,[18] 457,000
in Japan)
PS2 - Tekken 4 (1.778 million approximately, 1.46 million in US,[18] 318,000 in Japan)
PSP - Tekken: Dark Resurrection (1 million)
GCN - Soulcalibur II (1.09 approximately, 1 million in US, 99,000 in Japan)
DC - Soul Calibur (1 million)
Xbox - Dead or Alive 3 (1.06 million)
360 - Dead or Alive 4 (1 million)

Only million+ games were listed and I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I think this at least calls into question your "never had any problems outselling them" claim.

I excluded older MK's because no one is disputing the quality of those based on sales, but Street Fighter II for the SNES alone sold more than MK2 and MK3 combined for SNES and Genesis.

ZeoVGM

Banned
btkadams said:
ew.... defintiely not buying this. why cant they just make a new 2d mortal kombat.

It doesn't have to be 2D.

The first two MK games last gen were very fun.

But I thought this was supposed to bring MK back to its roots and they do that by adding DC characters and taking out the violence?

Alright?

Prime crotch said:
This is why.

2dl5qh.gif

2dgrhhj.gif

Kabal is one of my favorite characters in the series. Strikers is a good one also. I really don´t understand this MK3 rant. Game is great, the combos system was a nice addition to the series and the best until now.

Insane Metal said:
Kabal is one of my favorite characters in the series. Strikers is a good one also. I really don´t understand this MK3 rant. Game is great, the combos system was a nice addition to the series and the best until now.
I'm not saying the game was bad, but it's far from being my favorite, it's more than just the awful new characters and removal of the old ones. The dial-in combo system sounded like a great idea but it was broken, since you could just mash your way into victory, but overall it just wasn't as appealing as MKII.

NIghtWolf

I remember me playing MK 3 and trilogy...pss at those 3d MK they wack nothing like the 2ds combats. I remember johnny cage from MK2 lol!

Anyways, midway never realized that the series needed to be 2d, they very intelligent imo.

JdFoX187

Banned
I would have loved to have seen Mortal Kombat literally go back to its roots and do a Street Fighter IV-style 2.5D game with all of the blood and stuff from the original games. The last few games just got too cartoony for their own good. I mean Bo-Ri-Choo puking all over the floor and causing the other person to slip? Stupid.

The other thing that really worries me is the use of the Unreal 3 engine for this. Does it have the capabilities for a fighter?

How is this any different from Capcom vs Marvel series? besides the 2d concept?

its the same shit , nothing makes sense anymore.

Jill valentine vs Wolverine , HOWD THAT HAPPEN?

Kingpen

SuperAndroid17 said:

It actually is a little different then the marvel vs capcom series. Because Mortal Kombat has made all its money on gore and fatalites, I'm not sure they can match up the 2 universes and have everything compatible. I don't think DC Comics would allow us seeing Sub Zero spine-rip Superman or Batman's head out of their body.

Marvel vs. Capcom didn't have to worry about this since there was no blood or fatalities....

Trakdown

SuperAndroid17 said:

Because Capcom wasn't coming off of a steady stream of shit titles, that's how. The Vs. series did well because it was based off of the COTA engine, which was a great, fun fighting game system. Their X-men game was great, the SF games were great, so crossing them up was no problem.

MK, meanwhile, has a huge fucking laundry lists of problems from their last effort: tired engine that's been merely "ok" and has been used for the last three games. Storylines weren't done well. TONS of reused assets in Armageddon (Blaze is Onaga on fire for the most part). And of course, the worst finisher system since Time Killers.

None of this is fixed by adding DC. Even worse, we get "finishers", not fatalities. And all this when we were told that MK was going back to its roots. Funny, I don't remember MK starting off as a low rent DOA clone.

What baffles me is how people can call the recent games shitty while still praising the originals. The original MK games (YES EVEN MK2) were unbalanced and broken. The controls were passable but more than a little stiff in some aspects.

I'm curious as to what charges can be levied against the recent games that wouldn't apply equally strongly against the originals besides "I'm tired of MK" or "this isn't precisely the same game I played in my youth".

CO_Andy

Segata Sanshiro said:
What baffles me is how people can call the recent games shitty while still praising the originals. The original MK games (YES EVEN MK2) were unbalanced and broken. The controls were passable but more than a little stiff in some aspects.

I'm curious as to what charges can be levied against the recent games that wouldn't apply equally strongly against the originals besides "I'm tired of MK" or "this isn't precisely the same game I played in my youth".
I liked MK better back when there weren't massive combo move lists to remember.

Uno Ill Nino said:
I'm there. I think it'll be cool. Marvel vs Capcom made some boring Marvel characters suddenly come to life for me. Now maybe this MKvDC thing will do the same with DC characters.

The thing is Capcom is a competent, if not excellent (usually) dev who has made a number of consistently good fighting games in the past. Midway on the other hand is a fairly average-mediocre dev with a relatively crappy fighting game series

I remember when I was in 6th grade, some kid tried to fight me because I kept using Kabal's "Jump foward kick, quickly use the dash move, combo, and repeat". He got pissed off because that's all I would do. I just sat there continuing to play on. :lol

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Hey, maybe they can add Gears of War characters, since it's Midway, and they're using UE3.0, and DC is already doing a Gears comic.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I looked at the screenshots, and wow, no facial expressions. Perhaps the TNA Impact guys should have helped on the graphics...

Top Bottom