• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat 8 REVEALED IN ALL ITS GLOR...wait, what is this?

indie85

Banned
45737145549ac-47-1.jpg

Get Oooooover here!

luffeN

Beaulieu said:
you guys realise that in the OP it says that all the info is under embargo until the 18th

yeah, but it says at the event.. so maybe one screen or something like that for the internetz

EDIT: !!!!!!! omg !!! it says !! countdown complete... thats it :*(

Flakster99

Jesus Christ I feel old. MK 8? I was a skinny 19 yr getting ready for college when I inserted my first quarter in a MK machine for the first time in '92. If memory serves, it was Bijoux at the Lincoln Mall in St. Catharines. :D

luffeN

Flakster99 said:
Jesus Christ I feel old. MK 8? I was a skinny 19 yr getting ready for college when I inserted my first quarter in a MK machine for the first time in '92. If memory serves, it was Bijoux at the Lincoln Mall in St. Catharines. :D

wow, so now you are
that's reaaaaaaaaaalllyyy oooold

:p

sajj316

maybe this year, they'll add a self fatality. I would buy the game if I could do the chiropractor sub zero fatality on myself ;)

luffeN

sajj316 said:
maybe this year, they'll add a self fatality. I would buy the game if I could do the chiropractor sub zero fatality on myself ;)

there was something like that, right? harakiri?

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
well sotryline wise...everyone is dead.....except the new guy from the last game's storyline mode.

If it's a new start, then I would only expect this to WarGods 2.0

eve241

I loved MK2/3/UMK3 but none of the 3d games have grabbed me. I hope I'm impressed even slightly 25 mins from now.

n1n9tean

Banned
Will they continue to introduce shitty new characters like "Meat?" All you have to do to a thing like him is just throw a bucket of alcohol at him and it's oversville. :lol

sajj316

raYne said:
I still have over 5 hours left on my countdown.

I'm prepared to be disappointed.

I don't think this will stop the internet from publishing but all contents from the revealing will be released on April 18th (tomorrow).

I for one am very excited about this. Mortal Kombat was the alternative for Street Fighter II back in the day. I guess it was the digitized characters that did it for me :D I hope they go back to the original formula. I still think they will keep the game in 3D but its critical that they emulate 2D in gameplay a la Street Fighter IV.

I liked the last few MK games. They aren't very technically sound, or well-balanced, but they are a lot of fun to play with your friends.

Which really, is all MK ever was.

raYne

sajj316 said:
I don't think this will stop the internet from publishing but all contents from the revealing will be released on April 18th (tomorrow).

I for one am very excited about this. Mortal Kombat was the alternative for Street Fighter II back in the day. I guess it was the digitized characters that did it for me :D I hope they go back to the original formula. I still think they will keep the game in 3D but its critical that they emulate 2D in gameplay a la Street Fighter IV.
Oh, I know the reveal isn't 'till tomorrow.

It's two seperate statements. One stating my timer isn't up and the other saying that I'm prepared for disappointment in general.

NeonZ

n1n9tean said:
Will they continue to introduce shitty new characters like "Meat?" All you have to do to a thing like him is just throw a bucket of alcohol at him and it's oversville. :lol

He wasn't a new character though. He first appeared in MK4 as a secret skin for any character. MKA made him a real character, but that was only because its entire gimmick for the line up was featuring everyone from the main MK fighting games.

I'm not saying that their current designs are good though, they should really fire the guy who designed the konquest characters from Armageddon. Most of his designs are just horrible on paper, even worse than the 3d models.
The new Striker was decent, but his proportions were just wrong in the artwork, though the 3d model thankfully fixed that.

Baker

Banned
Flakster99 said:

Haha. I was 13 and at the Peoria, IL Alladin's Castle.

I even ran and got my mom afterwards to show her how some guy at the arcade could pull peoples' heads off.

I remember buying the SNES version at Kmart when it came out too. I took the instruction book to school because I was a fucking nerd and thought it'd make me look cool.

Flakster99

Baker said:
Haha. I was 13 and at the Peoria, IL Alladin's Castle.

I even ran and got my mom afterwards to show her how some guy at the arcade could pull peoples' heads off.

I remember buying the SNES version at Kmart when it came out too. I took the instruction book to school because I was a fucking nerd and thought it'd make me look cool.

Hey man, we're all nerds. ;)
Some say it was the shock factor that enabled and pushed MK's popularity, I would like to add it was that curiosity of the unknown that equally impressed me.

Anyways, here's hopping the unveiling tickles my curiosity.

Baker

Banned
Flakster99 said:
Some say it was the shock factor that enabled and pushed MK's popularity, I would like to add it was that curiosity of the unknown that equally impressed me.

That and the fact that MKII is one of the best fighters ever.

I haven't really liked the series since, but I still buy them all.

GCQuinton

RiZ III said:
I was 10 or 11 when I played the first MK. Good times.

Same here. Good times, indeed :lol

Seriously though, I really do hope they're taking the steps to refresh this franchise like they say they are. It looks like by the end of the day (or week), we'll know something.

NeonZ

virtuafightermaster said:
Why MK7? There was never an official MK5 and MK6

It's MK8. Deadly Alliance, Deception and Armageddon count, even though they don't have numbers anywhere in their titles.

JdFoX187

Banned
RiverBed said:
maybe because I'm in Australia, it finished early yet I don't see anything.
I think it goes by the system clock. Where is Midway located? I'm guessing at 3 p.m. in that timezone is when something will happen.

raYne

Baker said:
But you wouldn't have a thread for MK8 if it wasn't for people like me.
Until the reveal shows that it's actually something worth looking forward to, unlike the last.. 6, that's not really a good thing.

;)

Top Bottom