• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat: Komplete Edition |OT| Because "ultimate" is so 1995.

It's not like the Vita costumes would fit the console game. The character models are significantly lower poly in the Vita version.

Those models were pretty much already created though in higher resolution. We've seen MK2 female ninja, MK2 male ninja, and UMK3 male ninja minus the mask (and I bet they had created the masked version too). But for whatever reason they held it back-- maybe they thought that people wanted the costumes so badly on the console version that it would be a selling point for the Vita version? Remember that the first costume pack was labelled "costume pack 1".

@MUWANdo

Banned
Those models were pretty much already created though in higher resolution. We've seen MK2 female ninja, MK2 male ninja, and UMK3 male ninja minus the mask (and I bet they had created the masked version too). But for whatever reason they held it back-- maybe they thought that people wanted the costumes so badly on the console version that it would be a selling point for the Vita version? Remember that the first costume pack was labelled "costume pack 1".

Maybe they were already done for the console version but someone determined that the other DLC wasn't selling well enough to bother releasing 'em, so they stuck 'em in the Vita version as a little bonus.

Dahbomb

I am having trouble starting 4 player local tag team matches. I select 4 player mode, Versus and when I get to the select side screen only the 1 player controller is able to move. The rest of the controllers remain static in the middle. How do I get them to activate and move to their appropriate sides? This is killing me that I don't know how to do it.

fernoca

It seems to be a mix of things.
The impression I got what that aside the 4 DLC characters, they pretty much were finished with the console versions.

Then comes the Vita version. Aside the costumes been already planned for the DLC/consoles (as seen by not only the retro ninjas already been in consoles so they just needed to change the colors); Skarlett's alternate costume was already done for the console version (and even shown around)...yet never released.

Then add to that, that some of the added challenges in the Vita version, won't use the extra-Vita-aspects (gyros, touch, etc.) because those challenges were already planned for the console versions, but they didn't had time to finish them. They could release them, but it seems that rather than finishing it on consoles, they decided to finish it for the Vita as an added bonus.

They already said that DLC sold better than they expected, so more than losing interest because of sales it was probably a decision that was already taken, but then they made a version for the Vita and decided to throw that into that other version. Afterall , the Vita version like the Batman iPhone game; while done in-house, were done by smaller teams rather than the entire team; so the team that made the "main game" seem to be busy at the moment with something else (plus they've already said they are doing something else :p).

Phloxy

I am having trouble starting 4 player local tag team matches. I select 4 player mode, Versus and when I get to the select side screen only the 1 player controller is able to move. The rest of the controllers remain static in the middle. How do I get them to activate and move to their appropriate sides? This is killing me that I don't know how to do it.

At the main menu you have to scroll to the right or hit R1 to cycle between single player and 4 player mode. Then you can move the controllers over.

Maybe they were already done for the console version but someone determined that the other DLC wasn't selling well enough to bother releasing 'em, so they stuck 'em in the Vita version as a little bonus.

DLC definitely sold well. Especially the costumes and the Freddy DLC. It just kinda sucks because I want those costumes that are Vita exclusive, but I don't want them in a downscaled fashion. They are leaving free money on the table by not releasing the unreleased costumes as DLC.

Terrell

Afterall , the Vita version like the Batman iPhone game; while done in-house, were done by smaller teams rather than the entire team; so the team that made the "main game" seem to be busy at the moment with something else (plus they've already said they are doing something else :p).

Yeah, they're working on new DLC for the WiiU version, obviously. LOL

DLC definitely sold well. Especially the costumes and the Freddy DLC. It just kinda sucks because I want those costumes that are Vita exclusive, but I don't want them in a downscaled fashion. They are leaving free money on the table by not releasing the unreleased costumes as DLC.

This is what I don't get... DLC sells well, extends the viability of the game, but isn't released?
I'd bet money they're doing more but wanted to wait for the release of the Komplete Edition and Vita version at WB's request before they distributed it.

I'd be interested in buying this but there's something on the back of my mind saying this won't be the final re-issue.

I'm hoping thats the case. I'd love it if they created an Ultimate version with the extra costumes plus also added playable/balanced bosses, cyber smoke and some of the missing stages (like the Portal & Kombat Tomb). But it sounds like they've already moved on to their next project.

$60? Really? Four characters and a year later and they release it at full price? Was considering giving it a shot, but not at full price.

Yeah, really. $60 is dumb. Better fighting games are rereleased with actual new content for $40.

Yes, but do they come with a digital copy of the film and soundtrack? You may not like the fact that you are forced into paying for these items, but you can't just sit there and say all you are getting is DLC.

Yes, but do they come with a digital copy of the film and soundtrack? You may not like the fact that you are forced into paying for these items, but you can't just sit there and say all you are getting is DLC.

I didn't know these were included, nice. That kind of info should be in the OP, which seems a bit short to me, aside from the Vita stuff.

What is weird is that the game is below £25 here.

fernoca

I didn't know these were included, nice. That kind of info should be in the OP, which seems a bit short to me, aside from the Vita stuff.

What is weird is that the game is below £25 here.

Then, read the OP. :p

Why the price difference? Why $59.99 in the US?
Aside the extra content on the disc, the US version includes digital copies* of the 1995 Mortal Kombat movie and the 2011-soundtrack
'Songs Inspired by the Warriors'; along an extra track. UK version doesn't includes those 2 extras. (*in a voucher)

OP is short, because the original MK OT was...quite big. (which is linked at the end of the main post)

Then, read the OP. :p

Why the price difference? Why $59.99 in the US?
Aside the extra content on the disc, the US version includes digital copies* of the 1995 Mortal Kombat movie and the 2011-soundtrack
'Songs Inspired by the Warriors'; along an extra track. UK version doesn't includes those 2 extras. (*in a voucher)

OP is short, because the original MK OT was...quite big. (which is linked at the end of the main post)

Must be secondapps/my iPhone fucking something up then because I definitely can't see the part you quoted in the OP, all I see are the Vita details and the links to the original OT. Sorry for the uncalled for comment then.

Edit: just checked without second apps, yeah, it has trouble parsing the OP and like 90% of the info is missing with it. Probably an image tag or something. My apologies, again. :)

fernoca

Must be secondapps/my iPhone fucking something up then because I definitely can't see the part you quoted in the OP, all I see are the Vita details and the links to the original OT. Sorry for the uncalled for comment then.

Edit: just checked without second apps, yeah, it has trouble parsing the OP and like 90% of the info is missing with it. Probably an image tag or something. My apologies, again. :)

Probably related to the "dividers" been images, as for some reason instead one one long line, it created one divided in half; so had to put them as images if I anted the whole line.
Considering adding just a bunch of short-dashes.

Going to do that and fix some typos then. :p

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Didn't see the update on it being pre-patched up to (decently) playable online. Any word on this?

Anyone know if the PSN multiplayer is peer-to-peer, or dependent on some servers that won't be around in a few years?

fernoca

Didn't see the update on it being pre-patched up to (decently) playable online. Any word on this?

Anyone know if the PSN multiplayer is peer-to-peer, or dependent on some servers that won't be around in a few years?

Apparently, the game includes the patches; but I haven't been able to confirm that. PS3 version uses Gamespy (apparently) for lobbies, spetactator (i.e. King of the Hill), chat, etc.; but the game is peer-to-peer. Though if it will be around in a few years, noone knows. :p

I'm itching to get the Vita version. The delay was probably caused by Sony's desire to spread out game releases a bit, but having to wait an extra 2 months here in the EU is kinda painful.

Someone on TRMK mentioned that this game has some improvements

C-Sword from TRMK said:
Someone just posted this on another MK board 1) The title screen actually reads Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition. 2) There is an extra trailer for Mortal Kombat legacy in the Announcement Trailers section 3) The dlc Characters have nekropolis spots. Kenshi and Rain are next to kratos. Skarlet and Freddy are next to Quan Chi. 4) If you have beaten the game with the dlc characters before their endings are viewable in the Necropolis 5) Saves from previous edition work on this edition 6) Graphics glitches like Mileena's hair going through her neck have been fixed. Also stages like the Flesh pits have been lightened up a tad to bring out detail 7) the music has been raised up a notch or two. Still not like it should be but louder than before

DasRaven

Those are all good, necessary updates that I hope will come as patches to the original disc.
Alternately, I'd like MK:KE come out as a PS3 DD. That'd get me to double dip.

Those are all good, necessary updates that I hope will come as patches to the original disc.
Alternately, I'd like MK:KE come out as a PS3 DD. That'd get me to double dip.

Fuck. I've already triple dipped (MK9 360, MK9 PS3, MK9 GoD). I'll end up buying this game two more times if they release MK Komplete on GoD and PSN. Its a good thing I've held back on getting the PSN version...

DasRaven

Fuck. I've already triple dipped (MK9 360, MK9 PS3, MK9 GoD). I'll end up buying this game two more times if they release MK Komplete on GoD and PSN. Its a good thing I've held back on getting the PSN version...

I've only single-dipped so far, but I did buy the Tournament Edition (PS3).
I'm not dipping again until KE is available as a DD and the Vita bonuses are available as DLC for it. I want that Test Your Balance pit stage and those costumes.

fernoca

I've only single-dipped so far, but I did buy the Tournament Edition (PS3).
I'm not dipping again until KE is available as a DD and the Vita bonuses are available as DLC for it. I want that Test Your Balance pit stage and those costumes.

Those were made specifically for the Vita because of the gyros on it. The challenges that were originally planned for the console games were others; like the ones were you play as Shao Kahn (and could possibly the ones that appear; but they already said that for DLC, they weren't going to add modes like that or to expand the Story Mode). The costumes could appear since the base-work was already done for the console versions, but there are no plans at the moment.

Guess, like Rain..people should go to Twitter and official forums to share their opinion about that.

DasRaven

Those were made specifically for the Vita because of the gyros on it. The challenges that were originally planned for the console games were others; like the ones were you play as Shao Kahn (and could possibly the ones that appear; but they already said that for DLC, they weren't going to add modes like that or to expand the Story Mode). The costumes could appear since the base-work was already done for the console versions, but there are no plans at the moment.

Guess, like Rain..people should go to Twitter and official forums to share their opinion about that.

Yes, I just want the costumes for the reasons you stated and a stage that uses the TYBalance pit since there were too few stage fatalities in the original game. They can keep all the rest Vita exclusive.
Reading further, it seems the KE didn't even get the Vita version's select screen with spaces for the DLC characters. What's up with that? That seems like very low hanging fruit compared to adding Nekropolis slots for the DLC characters.

sleepykyo

Apparently, the game includes the patches; but I haven't been able to confirm that. PS3 version uses Gamespy (apparently) for lobbies, spetactator (i.e. King of the Hill), chat, etc.; but the game is peer-to-peer. Though if it will be around in a few years, noone knows. :p

Currently playing Gotham City Impostors, Gamespy is still awful on PSN/SEN.

Do I need an "Online Pass" to play this online?
Like the version that was released last year, an online pass is indeed required to play. All new copies include one already.
Gamestop gave online passes, to used buyers of the original game; but is unknown if they'll do the same for this version.

If you already have an Online Pass and buy this version, you don't need to redeem the one in this version or buy a new one.
The Online Pass carries a price of $9.99/800 Microsoft Points, by separate.​

Just an FYI... i figured this had been known for a while, but you don't need an Online Pass anymore. Not for the Komplete Edition and not for the regular edition. It was patched out a while ago.

I'm really considering picking up MK, but I have what might be an odd question. Given the $60 price tag for Komplete, would it be cheaper to buy the vanilla game plus the DLC characters and costumes? Would I be missing out on anything going that route?

I'm really considering picking up MK, but I have what might be an odd question. Given the $60 price tag for Komplete, would it be cheaper to buy the vanilla game plus the DLC characters and costumes? Would I be missing out on anything going that route?

This has the first MK film attached to it, so you'd be missing that. Gamewise, I think you'd only miss costumes?

DasRaven

Yes, it would be cheaper assuming you buy the game used. The only significant loss would be the ability to rewatch a DLC character's ending sequence without playing through ladder mode with them again. At least this is all we can tell from day1 buyers of KE so far.

fernoca

Thanks.

The film I can do without, but costumes? Dammit. I was hoping they were all available as DLC.

Hmm.

They're all available as DLC.

This costumes were originally given by preordering the game, inside select copies, buying the full-retro pack and with
the individual character data of the extra DLC characters
. All this, rounding an 6+ hours Story Mode, Ladder Mode
(basically arcade mode with individual "what ifs" endings), Tag-Team, various 'Test' Modes,
artwork, music and both local and online multiplayer; all on the disc.​

And..

Can I play online with people that don't have this version (and vice-versa)?
Yes, as long as the person with the regular version has the necessary downloads.*

With the releases of the DLC, individual packs were released for free that included the data of said characters, along 2 retro costumes.
The retro costumes were free to use for anyone, the rest of the data allowed people that didn't purchased the extra character(s), to play with people that did.​

All the pre-order retros can be purchased for $5/400 Microsoft Points and the rest of them are free with the DLC character data.

Original OT said:
Klassic Kostume Pack
Price: $4.99 (PSN) / 400 Microsoft Points (XLM)
Kontent: Classic costumes that were once exclusive for preorders, etc. for Scorpion*, Sub-Zero*, Reptile*, Ermac, Kitana, Mileena and Jade.
*: Includes a retro fatality
(See 'What to buy' section for more information and artwork.)

The only vouchers in this 'komplete' are for the online pass, the movie and the soundtrack.

Does the Vita version have tag in the game like the console versions
Yep (check the description):
ft8DL.jpg

Can be played single (Tag Ladder), multi (Versus -local and online-).

Just checked PSN, and I'm looking at at least $25 for all the character/costume DLC. And that's assuming I can find the vanilla game for under $30.

Fuck it, I'll just buy Komplete. :D

Currently playing Gotham City Impostors, Gamespy is still awful on PSN/SEN.

Gamespy only offers the hosting of the servers, all of the code is written by the developers.

Also, last I checked, PS2 servers for MK Deception and Armageddon are still running, so as long as IGN doesn't decide to get out of the server business, I'd expect the servers to continue to run. My guess is, Gamespy just reduces the number of boxes running the server for old games to only one or two after several years.

Terrell

Anyone else sad that the male ninjas were the only ones to get classic fatalities?

Raiden's from MK4?
Sonya's kiss of death?
Baraka's MK2 fatality? (possibly one of the most gruesome ever done, despite being so simple)
Kitana's kiss of death?

FRIENDSHIPS?! (srsly, better than Babalities by a WIDE margin)

Terrell

Mileena should have the nails one

I was thinking more like re-working her Man Eater fatality, where it shows her tearing off a limb, having a chow, fades to black, moves to the next limb, fades to black and then shows her picking at their bones with a fully bloodied face.

A lot of the classic ones are too goofy to really work unless they were re-done a bit, like some of them already have been.

SuperBonk

Just wanted to give props to 16bit for handing CD the fan. The title of "best Kitana" should be worth more than just a best of 3 though.

Also, really glad to see PigoftheHut go to Cyber Sub in grand finals, even if it didn't work out for him. I learned CSZ because of his guides and it was the first time I had seen one in tournament.

Top Bottom