• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat: Komplete Edition |OT| Because "ultimate" is so 1995.

Just wanted to give props to 16bit for handing CD the fan. The title of "best Kitana" should be worth more than just a best of 3 though.

Thanks. I'm glad the community seemed to have enjoyed that moment. Truth is CD is a superior player. He'd still be even if I had managed to win that 2/3 set.

fernoca

IGN posted some impressions of the Vita game.
"Mortal Kombat on Vita will offer a separate tier of bonus challenge missions that feature not only many that rely on the Vita's touchscreen and accelerometer capabilities as well as some that just weren't featured on the console version for timing or logistical issues. Mortal Kombat will also feature the full challenge tower from the original release, as well as the story mode from the console game and all of the DLC characters and costumes. The bonus challenge tower will include new modes like Test Your Slice and Test Your Might, as well as some featuring the previously DLC-only characters (Skarlet, Kenshi, Rain, Freddy Krueger) that couldn't have been implemented in the original release. You'll also get new Crypt unlocks, which include cool new elements like concept art for the new characters."

"In our session, we were also given a crack at Ad Hoc play, which ran extremely well. There was very little lag or slowdown in our session, and matches didn't dip below 60 frames per second during combat. While it remains to be seen if the game will be able to keep the smooth clip during infrastructure play online, the whole experience was very fast and satisfying."​

fernoca

Vita version, finally has a release date:

The game is due out in North America on May 1 and in Europe on May 4. The portable version of last year's fighting hit has all sorts of extra bonuses that make use of Vita's touch screen, including finger-swiping fatalities.​

Updated the main post accordingly.

Just posting because I've finally picked this up and all the extras are on the disc here (euro 360), no DLC codes.
I thought it worth mentioning because I know it's important to some people.

90sRobots

This is $30 at Gamestop until the 7th.

I had OG MK9 for PS3 until it died; got it for 360 now. Now I want it again for PS3 because of online friends and Kratos.

Anyway, does this fall under the Fallout 3 GOTY rule where there's ALL-NEW trophies to slave over since it's a different SKU? And the DLC is on the disc?

DasRaven

This is $30 at Gamestop until the 7th.

I had OG MK9 for PS3 until it died; got it for 360 now. Now I want it again for PS3 because of online friends and Kratos.

Anyway, does this fall under the Fallout 3 GOTY rule where there's ALL-NEW trophies to slave over since it's a different SKU? And the DLC is on the disc?

Thanks. Time for me to upgrade then. I was waiting/hoping for a DD release, but $30 is the right price for me.
To answer your questions, trophies/saves/records from the original also apply to the K.E. All DLC is on the disc.

Unicorn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td_C-bhsGSE

New vita video from PAX. Looks like that advert showing Subbie and Scorpie fighting in RL libraries and subways wasn't too off the mark.

Edit: he said only in practice mode :(

In that video he mentioned alternate costumes for the DLC characters which "they weren't able to do in the console release" which is weird, since people were able to view them last year.

So, will the GOTY version for ps3/360 have those alternate costumes for the DLC characters that weren't "available" before?

fernoca

In that video he mentioned alternate costumes for the DLC characters which "they weren't able to do in the console release" which is weird, since people were able to view them last year.

So, will the GOTY version for ps3/360 have those alternate costumes for the DLC characters that weren't "available" before?

At the moment, there are no plans for a "GOTY", since the Komplete Edition is seen as that.
There are rumors of a possible Wii U port with added content, but just a rumor for now.

From what I remember, the only costume that some managed to see was Skarlet, even though Boon denied its existence.

J77DS.jpg

It was apparently obtained through the same hack from unfinished code found on the disc and the leak from PartnerNet that got some to try out an unfinished Skarlet. So, they're technically right in that they weren't able to do them/finish them (since both leak/hack were incomplete data with unfinished moves, animations, etc.) That second "leak" was what "revealed" Fujin (a sound file) and the MK3-cybers back then.

The vita version apparently has nerfed some combos(presumably for Jax, Cyrax and
Smoke) but they're currently not patching console to match it. A shame.

El Sloth

Banned
Re-posting this in all the fighting game threads:

This seems like a good time to post that I just set up what I hope to be a FGC catch-all channel for GAF on IRC:

#gafilluminati (props to Stabby McSter for the name!)

on Dorksnet servers (irc.wiicafe.com, irc.gamecubecafe.com, irc.browsingtheinternet.com))

Mibbit link for those that don't have a chat program:
http://mibbit.com/?channel=#gafilluminati&server=irc.browsingtheinternet.com

I recommend downloading XChat or mIRC though.

It's pretty quiet right now, but it was only literally just made 20 minutes ago. Probably best used during streams, but come and talk about whatever the hell you guys want.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
The vita version apparently has nerfed some combos(presumably for Jax, Cyrax and
Smoke) but they're currently not patching console to match it. A shame.

Smoke? What did they do to him since, AFAIR, he doesn't have any glitches (other than the smoke bomb that was patched a long time ago). As far as Jax, I can see them nerfing his corner game since it's brutal, and I freaking hope they nerfed the shit out of Cyrax.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
SteeloDMZ is the Vita username for those who want to play this thing online.

I'd consider myself pretty competitive, so expect a good fight.

fernoca

Added the fight anywhere clips and the klassic skins trailer for the Vita version; in the main post.:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What about the Vita version?
While the PS Vita version won't carry a subtitle like 'Komplete Edition', much less 'Vitality'; don't be fooled... it's getting the "komplete" version of the PS3 game
(minus 3D and the digital soundtrack/movie), along with other features; including:
  • You can activate the 'Special Bar' by touching the screen
  • You can perform fatalities, by swiping a finger on the screen
  • A second Challenge Tower with 150 new challenges; including many that use the Vita extra capabilities like touchscreen, gryos, etc.
  • 12-new retro costumes
  • An alternate costume for each of the original 4 DLC characters
  • More unlockable artwork

Videos:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

fernoca

The PS3 version of Komplete edition does NOT have (or need) an online pass.
Still waiting on confirmation on that. I've been told by a few people, but all had online passes from the previous game and redeemed the codes for the movie/soundtrack; so they didn't know if it was hidden in there.
And online ,most people seem similar (ie. had one from the previous game)

If you can confirm that there's no online pass in your download history and you can play online, I'll update the main post and probably make a new thread to "announce it" for those still on the fence.

EDIT: Going to post a thread about it anyway, just in case.

Slurmer

Banned
Is it just me or is the komplete edition way buggier than vanilla mk9? Lots of freezing at the title screen for me forcing me ro reset my ps3

fernoca

Is it just me or is the komplete edition way buggier than vanilla mk9? Lots of freezing at the title screen for me forcing me ro reset my ps3
If you had data from vanilla MK9 (aside the saves) erase it. I read about some people having problems and it was because they were playing the Komplete Edition, while having all patches and DLC saved; which caused for some conflicts between the disc and the installed data.

Also make sure you're not downloading stuff online (on the PS3 or PC); since if your unit is online it always checks for updates at first and the check it's sometimes slower and sometimes even crashes the start-up because of that. Try if possible with the PS3 offline too.

Of course it all varies from person to person.

If you still have problems? Check the disc and/or other games. Maybe exchange for another copy of the game if possible.

At the moment, there are no plans for a "GOTY", since the Komplete Edition is seen as that.
There are rumors of a possible Wii U port with added content, but just a rumor for now.

From what I remember, the only costume that some managed to see was Skarlet, even though Boon denied its existence.

It was apparently obtained through the same hack from unfinished code found on the disc and the leak from PartnerNet that got some to try out an unfinished Skarlet. So, they're technically right in that they weren't able to do them/finish them (since both leak/hack were incomplete data with unfinished moves, animations, etc.) That second "leak" was what "revealed" Fujin (a sound file) and the MK3-cybers back then.

Oh man, if there was a Wii U port with the additional costumes, I'd cry. It would just make it even more sad that they haven't brought those costumes to PS3/360.

Slurmer

Banned
If you had data from vanilla MK9 (aside the saves) erase it. I read about some people having problems and it was because they were playing the Komplete Edition, while having all patches and DLC saved; which caused for some conflicts between the disc and the installed data.

Also make sure you're not downloading stuff online (on the PS3 or PC); since if your unit is online it always checks for updates at first and the check it's sometimes slower and sometimes even crashes the start-up because of that. Try if possible with the PS3 offline too.

Of course it all varies from person to person.

If you still have problems? Check the disc and/or other games. Maybe exchange for another copy of the game if possible.

Hey thanks so much! This fixed it.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
sorry for the random bump but this game and it's horrible net code needs to be discussed more. Mk I be trying to love you but before I can you kick me offline.

Psn: leoj89

Not seeing a lot of people talking about mk9 (console version) anymore which is surprising since this years evo has it listed at $23,000 for the prize.

What makes the other fighting games so much deeper than mk?

edit: I'm still rocking vanilla with all the dlc. the old thread was locked and I didnt know where else to post this.

Getting back into MK because of the Vita version. It's a shame they won't release the remaining alternate outfits for consoles as well as the ones seen in the challenge tower (cyber reptile). Guess they don't want to pony up for an update... even though I'd pay for such dlc...

crap so i am just starting to get into this game on PS3, loving the story mode so far (currently stuck on Goro) BUT:

My R2 block button somehow keeps getting "stuck" whenever i hold down R2 to block for longer periods..

is this normal or is there a way around it? Is my controller button screwed up or something? I don't notice these issues in other games so not sure.

fernoca

Fire effects on PS3 are slightly pixelated/low res, but that aside..aside the Kratos stuff; yeah same one. PS3 version also supports 3D.

Galdelico

Also, there were some slight graphical advantages to the PS3 version, if I'm not mistaken.
I have in on PS3 as well (because of the more contents) but graphically speaking the game looks sharper and generally better on 360.

Btw, I booted it up last night after quite a long time and I had to download a pretty big patch (150 megs or something): do you guys know what's that about? I basically stopped playing MK after Freddy came out.

Archon473

Fire effects on PS3 are slightly pixelated/low res, but that aside..aside the Kratos stuff; yeah same one. PS3 version also supports 3D.

I think the color on the 360 is really pastel and bland compared to the PS3. I think the graphics are identical and players are just showing their console bias.

fernoca

I think the color on the 360 is really pastel and bland compared to the PS3. I think the graphics are identical and players are just showing their console bias.
There's no console bias at least on my case (Mortal Kombat bias if anything :p). The fire effects are pixelated on PS3 (check Scorpion's victory pose for reference, or in Test your Luck the X-ray/etc. icons that appear through a match) and Shao Kahn's Throne Room dosn''t run at 720p on PS3 (but is the only arena with said problem).

Digital Foundry noted those things too:

"Interestingly, on one particular stage - Shao Kahn's Throne Room - the overall impression is of a sub-HD presentation on PS3 around the 680p area. We're not entirely sure about the reasoning behind this, as it does seem localised to just this stage, which doesn't look to us like the most taxing in the game."

"On the other hand we see that texture filtering is better on the 360, sporting higher levels of anisotropic filtering (AF), whilst the alpha buffers - smoke, fire and so on - are rendered in quarter resolution on the PS3. However, only some of these effects are actually filtered, leading to visible pixellation in some scenes. "​

Contrast/color balance seems better on the PS3, plus it also has more content; which I also noted.

Mxrz

Picked up the Komplete edition on sale. (Woo!)

Jade seems really weak. But Reptile is all good. DLC characters are better than expected. And cheesing Shao Kahn brought back memories.

Unicorn

There's no console bias at least on my case (Mortal Kombat bias if anything :p). The fire effects are pixelated on PS3 (check Scorpion's victory pose for reference, or in Test your Luck the X-ray/etc. icons that appear through a match) and Shao Kahn's Throne Room dosn''t run at 720p on PS3 (but is the only arena with said problem).

Digital Foundry noted those things too:

"Interestingly, on one particular stage - Shao Kahn's Throne Room - the overall impression is of a sub-HD presentation on PS3 around the 680p area. We're not entirely sure about the reasoning behind this, as it does seem localised to just this stage, which doesn't look to us like the most taxing in the game."

"On the other hand we see that texture filtering is better on the 360, sporting higher levels of anisotropic filtering (AF), whilst the alpha buffers - smoke, fire and so on - are rendered in quarter resolution on the PS3. However, only some of these effects are actually filtered, leading to visible pixellation in some scenes. "​

Contrast/color balance seems better on the PS3, plus it also has more content; which I also noted.
This is what I was trying to refer to from memory.

I was obviously all wrong.

haha, no bias here, btw.

Picked up the Komplete edition on sale. (Woo!)

Jade seems really weak. But Reptile is all good. DLC characters are better than expected. And cheesing Shao Kahn brought back memories.

I had some fun toying around with Jade, but yeah, Reptile has got some mother-fuckin' options.

shaowebb

I'm probably gonna start playing this in few months once graduation and work settle into place. I can't afford the distraction yet, but with I:GAU on the horizon I'm interested in checking this thing out because I've always liked its streams. I'm thinking I'll choose Smoke or Noob. I like how unique they seem from other character's I've ever tried.

Archon473

Smoke destroys. Jade and Noob are relatively weak but have a chance against all but the best characters/players. Kombat Network and TSTLP are good sources for MK9 footage. I have no idea what happened to TestYourMight; that domain has been offline for a month now.

Jayhawk

The MLG VODs are also a good source for top-level MK play footage. I'm sorry I can't give specific links right now, since I'm at work.

shaowebb

Smoke destroys. Jade and Noob are relatively weak but have a chance against all but the best characters/players. Kombat Network and TSTLP are good sources for MK9 footage. I have no idea what happened to TestYourMight; that domain has been offline for a month now.

More like a little over a week, but they brought back a temporary UltimateMK forum as they try to repair their server that died. They'll merge the content once its fixed. I hang out their a lot for I:GAU since Rathalos told me about the place getting the occasional view from NRS.

But yeah Smoke's ability to teleport his opponent with a fast projectile is one of the coolest things I've ever seen so I like the idea of using him once I get enough work done in Animation to finally land a career with someone.

Mxrz

Shao Kahn seems like a bad mugen character. Guessing they wanted an SNK boss, but instead of a better AI, they went the lazy way. Meh.

Archon473

The MLG VODs are also a good source for top-level MK play footage. I'm sorry I can't give specific links right now, since I'm at work.

http://tv.majorleaguegaming.com/events/21-summer-championship#1879

Good stuff, shaowebb. I remember the letter you drafted to Netherrealm regarding Injustice. I am glad MLG is keeping MK alive and Injustice is looking mighty fresh.

Shao Kahn seems like a bad mugen character. Guessing they wanted an SNK boss, but instead of a better AI, they went the lazy way. Meh.

Knockdown Shao Kahn, dash forward crossover jump. He always whiffs his upward-swinging hammer and you can full punish.

Mxrz

Yeah, noticed he's very easy to exploit with the awful AI. I did try to fight him straight in the story mode, but meh. Hyper armor on moves killed that idea quick. teleport/uppercut all day.

That "Master each character" trophy seems absurd. 24 hours per character is like 500-600 hours isn't it? Sheesh.

Archon473

If you play Tag Kombat, you will earn time for both characters. The popular method is to leave your console powered overnight sitting in Tag Training. I settled for 91% completion and will one year earn "My Kung Fu Is Strongest" legitimately.

Alright, so now i am up to Shao Kahn in what i am guessing is the final fight...

yeah, needless to say, i am pissed now since i tried to beat him for the last, say, 3 hours? no dice.

I literally tried EVERY fucking strategy that has been posted on forums, googled for an hour alone and tried staying far away, shooting bolts, waiting for the hammer throw, teleporting and uppercutting or sweeping him etc, tried being close up jumping over his head sweeping or kicking him, waiting for his taunts to go off then fly towards him and smash him into the walls.

Do all of these moves work? Sure they do...

Do they work consistently? No fucking way, and THAT is what he gets me with.. EVERY.SINGLE.FUCKING.TIME >:O(

In the end, it is ALWAYS Shao Khan who wins since one or two of his moves take off almost half my health oftentimes while i chip away at his bar like an idiot trying to be patient!

And no i am NOT about to turn down the difficulty, that son of a bitch is going down sometime (either that or my controller shall meet it's end)

Top Bottom