• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat movie trailer is here, and damn that looks good !

Sub LOOKS SO FREAKING GOOD, I'm gonna cum
giphy.webp

I wanna cum too...

That was Epic...aaaand I need a towel

Last edited:
That was announced a long time ago along with the main actors. It's actually funny, because the actress doesn't have any experience which makes her an obvious diversity hire.
I mean, it would have been fine-ish if it was Tanya, but isn't Mileena supposed to be Eurasion/Takartan? Like Edenia/Kitana would be like Mixed race if it was Earthrealm and Mileena should look more like her instead of what we have now? Personally see Tanya as more Hispanic Rather than Black. Sometimes her outfit makes me think more Oriental/Aztec/Egyptian combination.

I have a bad feeling Cole is going to be the new "Alice"

Last edited:

McCheese

Looks fantastic, not going to win any awards but seems like a fun 90's action movie that understands what fans of the game want to see in movie form.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Looks surprisingly good.

Between this and Sonic, it looks like videogame movies might not automatically be total pieces of shit now? The original MK movie was great of course, but there's been dozens of other bad videogame movies since.

The story could suck donkey ass out of a straw and processed through a funnel of solidified crap compounded with enough force to turn malleable matter and rubber with sand paper for 135 hours to turn it into a barely polished turd and I still wouldn't give a crap as long as they nail the fight scenes, and have nothing but fight scenes.

Fight choregraphy looks great. Cinematography is pretty hit and miss. I was wondering if it were a netflix series at some shots.

Aggelos

Last edited:

Inspector Q

As far as I can tell, Cole is supposed to be a new character that acts are the audience's POV for the film instead of having one of the main MK characters being the fresh newbie.
Yeah, I heard something like that as well. I still think they can throw it in at the end of the movie where he takes on the stage name of Johnny Cage. But who knows? Could just be a completely different character.

What's weird, though, is that they could have just went with Johnny Cage anyway as the audience's POV character. Hotshot movie star/martial artist who gets in way over his head with all this supernatural shit.

I guess we will see how it turns out.

Meh. I'm going to pass. Looks pretty bad. Way too much importance put on Sub-Zero only for us to shift to some BS character they came up with. Cole is the new Alice.

I'll just rewatch the 90s film when this hits.

Last edited:
Looks brilliant. Can't wait for all the miserable clowns to comment about how it's not the next Citizen Kane or something.
It's a game movie, it's sticking to 90% of the source material, characters look like they're supposed to and Milla Jovovich is no where in sight.
Happy Days!

Clap Good Job GIF by Team Coco

Excess

Meh, looks decent, but I was hoping for a darker take on it, something more R-rated and grounded in reality for adults who grew up on this game as a kid and had to deal with the constant shaming by mainstream media labeling it too violent for children. Granted, its a difficult task to with MK lore, but I think the Rebirth short back in 2010 nailed that vibe perfectly.

Imotekh

I'm cautiously optimistic. What I struggled to get a sense of besides one sequence with Skorpion there is how the fight choreography will go. I think Kung Lao could actually be incredible on screen (I'm picturing a bloodier version of Cap's shield).

Handled correctly the film could function as a sort of alternative marvel movie where you've got various super powered characters going at it but they actually kill each other in gory ways.

Also, looked for a moment like we might get Noob Saibot...

Vaelka

Would it really be that hard to give Mileena sharp teeth at least?
It doesn't even look like Mileena, it just looks like she has smeared blood around her cheeks.

Meh, looks decent, but I was hoping for a darker take on it, something more R-rated and grounded in reality for adults who grew up on this game as a kid and had to deal with the constant shaming by mainstream media labeling it too violent for children. Granted, its a difficult task to with MK lore, but I think the Rebirth short back in 2010 nailed that vibe perfectly.

this 10 year old short even seems to have a larger production value than this movie lol

now i don't completely dislike the new mortal kombat trailer but it does leave me wanting much more for it being a movie

it looks more like something that would be on the cw channel

Banned

well half the short film is shot in the dark to hide all the shortcomings... so yeah of course it does

bitbydeath

Nah, I just want fights not drama bullshit.

bitbydeath

For some reason anime fighting and gareth evans have ruined ny expectations of what "dope fight scenes" are lol imagine if the director of the raid got his hands on these fight scenes.
The actor who plays Sub-Zero is one of the stars from that movie so I wouldn’t count out the fighting just yet.

bitbydeath

How many different characters gonna be responsible for removing Jax's arms? :pie_thinking: :messenger_tears_of_joy:
The director spoke on this on IGN.
Again, Mortal Kombat diehards know that something bad will usually happen to Jax’s arms--in one take on his origin they are damaged beyond repair by Prince Goro, while in another Ermac uses telekinesis to rip them clean off--all so he can wind up with his signature robotic arms, as seen later in the trailer.

“In this film we needed to drive a few certain characters and narratives, and so given that [Jax losing his arms] had been done a couple of different ways in the past, we felt we had a bit of license to do that again here,” McQuoid said. “We've really tried to be very truthful and true to the canon where we can be, but every now and again, we might deviate slightly where we felt that it was okay to do so.”

Top Bottom