• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The interesting thing about the NRS tournament was that they used the upcoming patched version and we saw some of the changes such as Kung Lao's spin with almost no push back on block, Skarlet's back throw doing 11% and armor on Reptile's EX slide(why is he getting any buff wtf?).

After this patch the complaining about Kung Lao has to stop. There will be no excuse not to punish spin and supposedly low hat will have less advantage on hit and more recovery on block.

There's a bunch of chatter about other fixes. Scorpion's leg takedown will be safer, Cage losing the ability to f+3,2~nut punch, faster startup on Sindel's ex scream. Should be a substantial update. It's coming before Devaststion(second week of October) and may be the final patch.

djkimothy

Kung lao could have 1000 frames of recovery on a blocked spin, negative push back, with an enchanted pink bow on his head, and they'll still find complaints.

A least there's no more damage nerf...

sleepykyo

Osu 16 Bit said:
The interesting thing about the NRS tournament was that they used the upcoming patched version and we saw some of the changes such as Kung Lao's spin with almost no push back on block, Skarlet's back throw doing 11% and armor on Reptile's EX slide(why is he getting any buff wtf?).

I still think Kung Lao is getting Ryu'ed.

As for Reptile, it's obvious despite being for one of the most popular (possibly even more then Kung Lao) characters in tourneys, he is obviously grossly under powered. They probably just figured every should have an armored move that has a lots of horizontal movement.

If they're going to be handing out armor I want armor on EX Cutter. Armor on EX Ass isn't good enough.

I suppose I should be grateful they're not doing anything to air fan or d+1. Kitana will have gone through the whole patch cycle basically untouched.

sleepykyo

Osu 16 Bit said:
If they're going to be handing out armor I want armor on EX Cutter. Armor on EX Ass isn't good enough.

I suppose I should be grateful they're not doing anything to air fan or d+1. Kitana will have gone through the whole patch cycle basically untouched.

Weren't they going to reduce the damage on the fans?

Cutter is too popular. Try and politic for armor on b,d + 3 instead.

sleepykyo said:
Weren't they going to reduce the damage on the fans?

Cutter is too popular. Try and politic for armor on b,d + 3 instead.

The rumor about increased scaling on EX fans is false. The only change to Kitana will be fixing a glitch where scaling is reset when an opponent jumps into a ground fan.

Good point. It'd give that move a use.

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, I searched and couldn't find anything.

Is the online code shareable on the PS3 version? I've yet to activate mine and friend mistankenly just threw it away.

So is MK gaf officially dead? :(

Some TRMK folks are trying to make an MK HD Mugen project happen. Looks really neat, although I'm not sure how versatile Mugen actually is in terms of doing stuff like alpha blending. I think its amazing how close the artist got that UMK3 scorpion to look to the filmed sprite.

Scorp_final.gif
Scorpion-MK-Ultimate-Mortal-kombat-3-Stance.gif

fernoca

infinityBCRT said:

Some TRMK folks are trying to make an MK HD Mugen project happen. Looks really neat, although I'm not sure how versatile Mugen actually is in terms of doing stuff like alpha blending. I think its amazing how close the artist got that UMK3 scorpion to look to the filmed sprite.

Scorp_final.gif
Yeah, dead-er than the Vita!! :p
Nah, just kidding...about the Vita, though is not like MK GAF wasn't really alive. Many were disappointed with the online, others with the DLC, others with misc. problems like the retro-costume/desync issues.

Even games like MvC3 which are apparently hated even more; are still quite active. Heck, MvC3 got 3 OTs even when the original opinion was of disappointment about the online and overall package. Still, is interest of GAF more than the actual games. Black Ops..one of the best selling games this gen; which millions play daily online and the thread in here is not as active as; lets say Halo Reach which it's on OT #6.

But no need to be sad, the game's excellent, plays even better and did great in sales. It still appears in tournaments here and there and played by many...just not in here. :p

Plus sometimes WB themselves didn't helped the situation. The desync issues, the "lets release an all characters package for $15 on PSN that late", the overall disappointing MK Kollection...are seen as "MK going back to its old ways".

But wow, that looks neat..any more pics/gifs?

Nemesis_

Sw4cy.gif
dJ02Z.gif

Best thing about these games is tha that the Ninjas won't require extensive remodelling =P

The project is apparently in the early stages, so fingers crossed it comes to fruition. They're starting with MK1 and moving up from there, which makes sense really.

Someone also posted this mock up, not sure if they're involved with the project or not....

niSmS.jpg

GrayFoxPL

infinityBCRT said:

Scorp_final.gif

Uh, again fan artists make "real devs" look like talentless fools.

Much respect.

infinityBCRT said:

Scorp_final.gif
I said holy shit.

Well-done.

fernoca

Yeah. There are not many pics of Daniel Pesina as the ninjas. From MKI that's one of the few; from MKII there are a few scans from a GamePro article and this one:

KGTc9.jpg

Same for Ho Sung Pak (also Liu Kang) as Shang Tsung:

7T6Kl.jpg

Farseer M

Neo Member
Hi,
sorry for my question: I have the PS3 version of this game, and during single player mode I found the secret battle against Noob Saibot.
I was playing with Jonny Cage and during the battle I made the X-ray move at the same time as the Noob X-ray move. The result is that the PS3 frooze.
I found a video made from a boy with the same situation and he said the problem happens only when the ps3 is connected to PSN.
Some of you saw this bug? Is it resolved?

I've found it:
http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/mortal-kombat/show_msgs.php?pid=961031&topic_id=m-1-59658930

DasRaven

mr. puppy said:
so is the mortal kombat competitive scene dead? I haven't heard anything about it since Evo, and this thread is looking....not alive

No, MK still has it's scene, but it is concentrated mostly on dedicated websites rather than GAF. See SoulCalibur for another example.
This thread never had the continuing activity of AE or MVC3, so it never got moved to the Community tab ghetto. Thus this thread doesn't get many posts anymore and when it does, they are off topic.

fernoca

Yep. The thread's dead for the most part, but the game's quite alive. People not talking about it much on here doesn't mean the "scene" is dead. TestYourMight, MKOnline, TRMK and many other forums/sites continue following and playing it; and creating mini-tournaments of their own too.

The game was expected to don't be as big in here as MvC3 or SSFIV: AE; same way Black Ops is not as big as Halo Reach. Doesn't mean that the games are not been played per se.

sleepykyo

DasRaven said:
No, MK still has it's scene, but it is concentrated mostly on dedicated websites rather than GAF. See SoulCalibur for another example.
This thread never had the continuing activity of AE or MVC3, so it never got moved to the Community tab ghetto. Thus this thread doesn't get many posts anymore and when it does, they are off topic.

???? This thread shows up in the community thread for me.

mr. puppy said:
so is the mortal kombat competitive scene dead? I haven't heard anything about it since Evo, and this thread is looking....not alive

Seems to vary by region. Dead on west coast and somewhat vibrant on the east coast.

Mileena

Banned
mr. puppy said:
pretty much. I've stopped playing it because all my friends did and the people online are so bad they're not worth playing. This game has zero chance to be a feature game at EVO next year. It's nowhere near deep enough to hold the interest of competitive fighting game players. Also the engine fucking blows.

fernoca

In general, Ed Boon answered a few questions yesterday on his Twitter:
  • They're already working on a new project, but "kan't say" more about it.
  • DLC/sales were way better/bigger than expected, but at the moment there are no plans for more DLC.
  • More patches and more support for the game is coming (unlike the rumor of this recent patch been the last one)
  • Netherealm is working closely with Other Ocean for the patch to "fix" the Arcade Kollection.

And misc. stuff: :)p)
  • He won't buy Arkham City, because he's getting a free copy from WB.
  • Loving Gears of War 3.
  • Would've loved Marcus Phoenix as an extra character for MK.

corkscrewblow said:
pretty much. I've stopped playing it because all my friends did and the people online are so bad they're not worth playing. This game has zero chance to be a feature game at EVO next year. It's nowhere near deep enough to hold the interest of competitive fighting game players. Also the engine fucking blows.

This had a great turnout and hype top 8 at Evo and has continued to be featured at every major tournament since and the forseeable future.

As much as many badly want declaring the MK scene dead over and over again doesn't make it true.

fernoca

Patch notes, apparently the newest patch (finally?) solves the desync issues caused by the preorder-retros of the Xbox 360 version (originally, the solution was to download them again).

Asked a friend to give it try as I no longer have the game (or a console).

Patch Notes:
Released: 09/23/2011
Xbox 360: V 0.144S-234-77c814ec
PlayStation 3: V ????-??? [update version 1.??]

General Gameplay Fixes/Tweaks

• Fixed a couple of crash scenarios.
• DLC billboards should now behave correctly on Xbox
• You should no longer see online desyncs on Xbox that are related to alternate costumes or classic costume DLC packs.
• MOTD handling and displaying code was tweaked.
• Fixed a bug that could have resulted in tweakvars getting corrupted.
• Fixed a crash in player select if you tried to exit out while the dlc box was open.
• With the exception of Human Cyrax and Human Sektor, everyone’s alternate costumes should behave the same as their primary costumes and have the exact same move properties.
• You can now block after a dash forward is completed if it was cancelled into from a special move. Canceling out of a dash into another dash was normalized for most of the characters. Dash Block canceling remains the same.
• Wakeup attacks should have better invulnerability on them if done in the first 4 frames of the wakeup window. (this was added as a hotfix tweakable value)
• You no longer get a completely free throw attempt after someone blocks your jump punch. The opponent has less block hit frames but chained combos from a jump punch will remain the same.
• There were several reactions that could freeze players just before they landed from attacks and reactions such as Kano’s Airball and Cyrax’s Net air reaction.
• Made many minor hitbox adjustments.
• Tweaked the negative edge window.
• Several low attacks were being parried incorrectly.
• Nightwolf and Kenshi can no longer still absorb a projectile if they get hit out of their enhanced reflects before the recovery frames start.​

Baraka
• Baraka's Blade Spin move starts up faster and is safer when blocked.
• Baraka's Enhanced Blade Charge (Blade Rush) attack goes farther now.
• Baraka’s Chop Chop no longer auto corrects mid-move.
• Baraka’s has a new D1 low poke.​

Cyber Subzero
• Cyber Subzero can no longer handcuff certain characters by catching a wakeup attack with his enhanced Ice Parry.​

Cyrax
• Cyrax's Buzzsaw is an overhead block and safer when blocked
• Cyrax's Bombs will no longer pop someone up who is in a 2nd Net reaction or in a Buzzsaw reaction.
• Cyrax's mk3 costume should behave the same as the primary costume now.​

Ermac
• Ermac can no longer leave an invisible fireball collision around.
• Fixed damage scaling a few of his reactions.​

Jade
• All of Jade's Enhanced Boomerangs (Reboomerang) will now return when the first hit is blocked.
• Jade’s Staff Grab is slightly safer when blocked.
• Jade’s U3 attack (Pole Vault) can be ducked.
• Jade’s 4,F3 kick (Polecat) is safer when blocked.​

Jax
• The armor on Jax's Enhanced Dash Punch (Dash Fist) and X-Ray (Briggs Bash) now starts instantly.
• Added armor to the startup of Jax's Enhanced Elbow (Elite Smash).
• Jax's projectiles (Energy Wave) recover a tiny bit faster.
• Jax’s towards 3 attack (Big Leg) is now an overhead.
• Jax can no longer frame trap someone with his Gotcha Grab.​

Johnny Cage
• Johnny Cage's F3,2 (Take Two) no longer true combos into 2in1’d special moves
• Johnny Cage's Nut Punch does slightly less damage.
• Johnny Cage's sweep kick has less advantage on block or hit.​

Kabal
• Kabal can no longer leave an invisible fireball collision around.
• Removed a couple unavoidable block traps with Kabal. (with F2 and 4)​

Kano
• If you don’t charge and hold the Enhanced Kano Ball it will now keep its armor.
• Kano’s Enhanced Knife Toss recovers faster.​

Kitana
• Kitana's Fan reactions on an airborne opponent damage scale correctly now.
• Kitana's X-Ray (Fan-Tastic) can no longer be reflected.​

Kung Lao
• Removed the pushback on Kunglao's spin when blocked.
• Ground Hat now leaves both players at neutral when hit close and leaves Kung Lao at a disadvantage when blocked up close.
• Kung Lao's overhead hat attack is slightly safer when blocked.​

Liu Kang
• Liu Kang's Parry now can correctly give a first hit bonus!​

Nightwolf
• Nightwolf's reflect should work better as a wakeup attack.​

Noob
• Noob's Teleport Slam should connect better with some opponents.
• Noob should no longer be hit on the ground after he is up in the air for his teleport.
• Noob’s Shadow Charge hits overhead.​

Quan Chi
• Fixed an issue where Quan Chi's Skull Projectile (Skull Ball) could sometimes become invisible.
• Added some armor to the Quan Chi’s Enhanced Sky Drop (Sky Stomp).​

Raiden
• Raiden can no longer unavoidably frame trap someone with his Vicinity Blast.
• Raiden has 2 additional recovery frames on his normal Teleport.
• Raiden can’t be hit during his Enhanced Teleport (Sparkport).​

Reptile
• Reptile whiffed Elbow Dash now builds slightly less meter.
• Reptile is held slightly longer after knocking someone down with the Elbow Dash.
• A blocked Reptile Elbow Dash no longer pushes back.
• Reptile's Enhanced Slide (Slime Trail) now has armor on it.
• Reptile can no longer leave an invisible Forceball collision around.​

Scorpion
• Scorpion's Leg Takedown is safer when blocked.
• Scorpion's Enhanced Leg Takedown (Takeout) now has armor on it.​

Sektor
• Sektor can now 2in1 into the front and behind Up Missiles
• Sektor's mk3 outfit should behave the same as the primary costume
• Sektor's backjets will no longer get stuck firing, wasting precious fuel. (Yay!)
• Sektor’s X-Ray (Massive Missile) can no longer be reflected.​

Shang Tsung
• The armor on Shang’s Enhanced Soul Steal now starts instantly
• Shang Tsung’s Enhanced Soul Steal (Soul Capture) activates faster.​

Sheeva
• Sheeva's Fireball is a mid block now and the Enhanced Fireball (Fire Blast) is an overhead.
• Sheeva's Ground Pound can correctly give a first hit bonus!
• Sheeva's Enhanced Jump Stomp (Jump Crush) now has armor on it.
• Sheeva's Air Grab has better anti-air collision on it.​

Sindel
• Sindel can no longer leave behind an invisible fireball collision around.
• Sindel’s B1 attack is a low block.
• Sindel's regular Scream is slightly faster and the Enhanced Scream is a lot faster now.
• Sindel’s Scream (Yell) can no longer be parried.​

Smoke
• It’s no longer possible to handcuff opponents with Smoke’s Vibration (Shake) Parry.​

Sonya
• The armor on Sonya's cartwheel (Krazy Legs) lasts until the first collision and Archkick's (Arc Wave) armor lasts until her arch is almost over.
• Sonya's 1,1,4 (Fierce Assault) no longer true combos into 2in1’d special moves from it.
• Sonya's 3,1,4 (Beat Up) no longer true combos into 2in1’d special moves from it.​

Stryker
• Stryker's Enhanced Baton (Baton Bash) Sweep’s 2nd hit is an overhead and is safer when blocked.
• Stryker's Grenades recover slightly faster.
• Stryker's Baton Roll starts up faster and the enhanced version has armor on it for a longer time.
• Stryker's Grenade Toss and Baton Sweep do slightly more damage.
• Stryker’s B1,2,2 (Beatdown) combo is safer when blocked.​

Sub Zero
• Fixed some of the Ground Freeze reaction properties which were causing some other gameplay issues.
• Sub Zero's Enhanced Slide (Power Slide) now has armor.
• The opponent is frozen for 10 additional frames to allow him to at least get a slide in for some trade cases were he could get nothing before.​

Freddy Krueger
• Freddy’s Nightmare Stance can’t be repeated instantly anymore.
• Fixed a bug where Freddy could get stuck being immune to projectiles.
• Freddy forward and backward Teleports (Hell Shift) build slightly less meter.
• Some of Freddy reactions were not damage scaling correctly.
• Tweaked the recovery on some of Freddy specials.​

Kenshi
• Kenshi’s X-Ray (Soul Blade) can no longer be reflected.
• Kenshi is freed up sooner now when he absorbs a projectile with his (Blade Absorb)
• Kenshi’s F2,2,B1 (Absentminded) reaction no longer lets opponents be hit just as they hit the ground.​

Skarlet
• Skarlet has an additional 10 frames before she can cancel out of her normal dagger toss.
• Skarlet can no longer 2in1 cancel out of her Slide attack from her Red Dash.
• Skarlet’s back throw now does normal damage.
• Skarlet can do her U3 (Lifting Leg) attack from a dash now.​

fernoca

Osu 16 Bit said:
This had a great turnout and hype top 8 at Evo and has continued to be featured at every major tournament since and the forseeable future.

As much as many badly want declaring the MK scene dead over and over again doesn't make it true.
Yep. While MK may not get the word around this forums at least, about tournaments and "the scene"; one only needs to go at a place like TestYourMight.com, were they've been talking about tournaments in Dublin, Pakistan, Paris, US, and all over the world...just in the last days.

That doesn't mean that it will be at EVO2012; since they don't have every fighter in there; but MK at the moment is not dead.

It says it's only for airborne but the scaling on a regular ground fan is different so ground fan now does 6%(1% less). All of her combos were effected because of this.

fernoca

TestYourMight still talking about tournaments and misc. stuff.

Surprised me that they were talking about the tournaments here in Puerto Rico and a few videos too (with commentary in spanish). (The comments in teh site in spanish are basically talking about AZ Broseph Sektor's been quite offensive)

There's a "bigger one" with preliminaries on October and the finals in December during our local 'Gaming Xplosion Fest'.

Medalion

Banned
I got this game finally for the Xbox 360 after months it has been out

Such an awesome game and reawoken my love for the franchise as a game and not just these web revitalizations

When news came out about Freddy Krueger being a DLC I was intruiged and made me want to seek out this game

I have not yet got any Microsoft points to get him but I will soon enough

The tutorial section is not what I thought it would be, I thought they were going to teach you every single move/fatality but it only gives a few basics... oh well they can't hand everything to you I guess

fernoca

Medalion said:
I got this game finally for the Xbox 360 after months it has been out

Such an awesome game and reawoken my love for the franchise as a game and not just these web revitalizations

When news came out about Freddy Krueger being a DLC I was intruiged and made me want to seek out this game

I have not yet got any Microsoft points to get him but I will soon enough

The tutorial section is not what I thought it would be, I thought they were going to teach you every single move/fatality but it only gives a few basics... oh well they can't hand everything to you I guess
Glad to see you're enjoying it.

There's a Fatality Trainer section, which you can use to practice fatalities (i.e. exact position, etc.). There's a practice mode, were you can set a few parameters and practice all moves/combos with an AI controlled character.

Also, remember you can unlock alternate costumes by either finishing Ladder mode with each character, or buying the specific krypt.

And, the Story Mode is relatively long. :)

Oh, and for those that missed it: Mortal Kombat "the movie" was officially announced by WB/New Line Cinema. Will be a full reboot, and won't have ties to the short series or the "Rebirth" short. Right now is in early stages (script, etc.); but the director is the same as the "Rebirth" short film (and legacy short series: Kevin Tancharoen. The script's from Oren Uziel who also wrote the "Rebirth" short film.

GrayFoxPL

Today I've gone back to the game as I played different shit for couple of weeks.

Wtf happened? Only two rooms? Last time I checked was 10+. Also laggy as fuck.

I'm playing Kollection way more to be honest.

Fantasmo

Well the problem is, at least in my eyes, that too few characters are well rounded enough to hang with top tier. Its boring choosing the same 8 or so characters constantly. I love the whole roster, but if I want to choose weaker characters I have to play KOTH where I can rack up a 60 streak. I imagine that's not fun for intermittent players. If I want decent challenge, I have to play in rooms but I can't choose lower tier characters. If I did I wouldn't stand a chance and often they won't rematch. If I miraculously win, they rage quit.

I know there's a patch coming out, over a week late on PS3 already which is supposed to even out a lot of characters, and hopefully not everyone has given up.

I haven't noticed more lag, but that's probably bc I live near NYC. I imagine many players have given up elsewhere.

Xevren

GrayFoxPL said:
Today I've gone back to the as I played different shit for couple of weeks.

Is Kollection online fixed? I remember hearing how bad it was when it came out but have no idea if anything has come out to fix it yet. Kind of hoping it gets fixed before picking it up.

GrayFoxPL

Xevren said:
Is Kollection online fixed? I remember hearing how bad it was when it came out but have no idea if anything has come out to fix it yet. Kind of hoping it gets fixed before picking it up.

No patch yet. Coming "soon" supposedly. When is "soon" only Goro knows.

But Boon said NRS are helping them with it.

I'm playing offline mk2 and ultimate mk3 and to be honest it's immortal. Way more fun then playing MK9 offline. Game's so fast and dynamic. After a 6 hour session switching to MK9 makes it look slow and sleep inducting.

Xevren

I don't really have anyone locally that it's interested in playing it, so I can't really pick it up unless I just want to bore myself to death. I'll just keep an ear out whenever the patch comes out and hopefully it improves the online.

GrayFoxPL

Xevren said:
I don't really have anyone locally that it's interested in playing it, so I can't really pick it up unless I just want to bore myself to death. I'll just keep an ear out whenever the patch comes out and hopefully it improves the online.

I'm playing offline, alone. I never had anyone to play with seriously.

Mileena

Banned
GrayFoxPL said:
Today I've gone back to the game as I played different shit for couple of weeks.

The game is dying fast :(

netcode is rage and cancer-inducing

waiting for an update version or full sequel :(

It's a real shame, because design choice and mechanics wise it's my favorite fighter of this generation. (Glitches and such notwithstanding, I like the ideas they had for the gameplay design, not always how well they implemented them)

Fantasmo

Slamtastic said:
Thanks for the heads up, will go download (after downloading PS3 update), get blown up by netcode, and stop playing again.
Even I'm noticing lag now. Def less players.

Patchwise I like the changes but I expect many to leave. Sheevas a beast, I love her unduckable fireball, and Stryker can ex roll thru SubZero clone now. Nice.

Also, big change.. can't dash repeatedly as fast. Many ground techniques aren't possible anymore since you can't rush a guy and be in combo range anymore after certain moves.

I wonder if Sheeva can ex stomp thru KL spin. If so, she may be able to win now.

Jesus, Kano's EX forward ball has armor? LOL wow this is too easy now. I'm killing everyone

sleepykyo

GrayFoxPL said:

You answered your question. Unless you're a fan of MK and only Mortal Kombat there are at least 4 other fighters with better netcode.

Does anyone know if the PS3 patch did anything about the netcode? I'll probably download it anyway to see firsthand how the "balancing" went.

edit: Lol at Kitana's ground fan. Only does 6 (instead of 8) tops, the second hit is blockable at max range.

And Kung Lao low hat is garbage. Really wish I was a Reptile player right now.

Fantasmo

sleepykyo said:
You answered your question. Unless you're a fan of MK and only Mortal Kombat there are at least 4 other fighters with better netcode.

Does anyone know if the PS3 patch did anything about the netcode? I'll probably download it anyway to see firsthand how the "balancing" went.

edit: Lol at Kitana's ground fan. Only does 6 (instead of 8) tops, the second hit is blockable at max range.

And Kung Lao low hat is garbage. Really wish I was a Reptile player right now.
The netcode is fine guys. I live in NY tri state area, NJ to be specific.

I've got something like 14 million people that live within a 30 mile radius so I'm got a great chance to get snappy gameplay in any fighter.

Problem is Street Fighter has a much bigger active community. Mortal Kombat is much much smaller, so you will get lag unless you get lucky or you live near a huge population.

That's my take anyway since 80% of the time I get very smooth online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom