• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X Day 1 Patch [probably DOESN'T decrease token rate]

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Until they charge money to unlock them.

And it's not "nothing", its 3 complete characters, 1 of which I want to use.

And please don't "son" me.

Sorry but for all that's wrong with the game right now, low-res character models with movesets from the previous game aren't complete characters. That's some random NPC fights, and that's not a valid complaint IMO.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Was thinking about buying this at launch, but now I definitely won't. Will wait for $5 Complete Edition with all the costumes, characters, DLC, etc. Plus mods and unlocking everything unlocked in a second.

RM8

Was thinking about buying this at launch, but now I definitely won't. Will wait for $5 Complete Edition with all the costumes, characters, DLC, etc. Plus mods and unlocking everything unlocked in a second.
This is really the best thing to do. Lesson learned :/

Sorry but for all that's wrong with the game right now, low-res character models with movesets from the previous game aren't complete characters. That's some random NPC fights, and that's not a valid complaint IMO.
How is it not a valid complaint? Because other things suck more?

Can you show me another game that locks non boss chars away as cp only in story only?

Better yet, why do you feel the need to brush it off?

Kouichi

Warner Brothers DLC and pre-order practices have been about as bad as the other notable companies for a while now, so it's shame to see them continue to get worse. I know Arkham Knight already has pre order content, but I'm afraid of what other shitty practices might affect that game.

biRdy

Until they charge money to unlock them.

And it's not "nothing", its 3 complete characters, 1 of which I want to use.

And please don't "son" me.

They are not complete at all, if you notice they have no variations and tanya basically uses Kitana's move set. Rain is pretty much his same self from MK9 (though I wish he was in)

They are not complete at all, if you notice they have no variations and tanya basically uses Kitana's move set. Rain is pretty much his same self from MK9 (though I wish he was in)
Yeah I wanna use Rain. I'd bet they are going to release them in one form or another... for money.

Karak

My big issue is that I reviewed a game that is now altered in its risk versus reward pattern. For many that might not matter but I break down my reviews with sections for both Funfactor and Longevity both of which this would have at the very least been taken into account for.

My big issue is that I reviewed a game that is now altered in its risk versus reward pattern. For many that might not matter but I break down my reviews with sections for both Funfactor and Longevity both of which this would have at the very least been taken into account for.
Can you verify what the reddit poster reported? With screenshots preferably, but a yes or no will do.

vg260

We really need someone to verify on a clean first-run because it might drop if something is repeated. I'm playing without the patch regardless.

Karak

Can you verify what the reddit poster reported? With screenshots preferably, but a yes or no will do.

I noticed a very large dropoff in payoffs but took it to be some kind of reduced payout due to repeated performances or lack of doing fatalities and so forth. However once I jumped into Test your Might and a couple other modes again...something seemed dramatically off. I am going through the hours of video footage to see if I can match something up.

Regardless it would not have changed the entire reviews score for me, but I would have liked to have felt it out, if it did indeed change.

I noticed a very large dropoff in payoffs but took it to be some kind of reduced payout due to repeated performances or lack of doing fatalities and so forth. However once I jumped into Test your Might again...something seemed dramatically off. I am going through the hours of video footage to see if I can match something up.
That Test your Might is suspect, the other dropoff was present in MK9, I believe. Thanks for doing this.

AwShucks

Glad I don't really care about any of these stuff the tokens are needed for. And that I decided to wait until it hit $40

Seriously guys, Warner are a fucking dodgy publisher and I'm not surprised to see you hem pull this shit. They'll find ways to fuck with Arkham Knight too and make it much less appealing, I'm sure.

RM8

Seriously guys, Warner are a fucking dodgy publisher and I'm not surprised to see you hem pull this shit. They'll find ways to fuck with Arkham Knight too and make it much less appealing, I'm sure.
They can get away with it because MK and DC are brands people love :/

Man, I'm so not used to this crap. I guess I'm mostly a fan of better developers / publishers, this is my first time dealing with this "AAA broken wallet-grabbing" thing.

Hmmm...this doesn't bother me that much.

I mean its crappy that WB is doing this, but I will still buy the game and unlock as much as I can, however I will not drop 20 dollars to unlock all the krypt items. Thats half the fun in these mk games.

ItIsOkBro

You know, there's a chance that all this may have been a big misunderstanding.

Here's what the reddit user was doing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZNUfVy2xhQ

Basically using story mode chapter select to go back to the final boss and beat him over and over again, earning 2500 koins each.

Maybe with patch 1.01 you get 2500 koins the first time and then less coins for doing it again.

Edzi

Basically using story mode chapter select to go back to the final boss and beat him over and over again, earning 2500 koins each.

Maybe with patch 1.01 you get 2500 koins the first time and then less coins for doing it again.

I'm waiting for some people to actually try this and post their results.

Wasn't that the same deal in MK9?

Kuno

That seems like an exploit rather than WB trying to screw us over.

Card Boy

Banned
and this is why i didn't pre-order and am waiting for the Ultimate Kollection. I knew day 1 buyers would have the shitter experience.

Chabbles

And this is why people shouldn't be so quick to defend these shady MT's to begin with like in the thread yesterday. When they put these little microtransaction mechanics into games, they will design them to push the player to buy them one way or another, it might be subtle or blatant. And its a slippery sloop, whats next ?

Ultimodragon64

Neo Member
I'm pretty sure you only got a full amount of koins during your first play through in MK9. Could this be the same thing? And if so, would everyone calm down?

tariniel

Jesus, this + all the PC issues I've been reading about makes this one a no-go at full price. I'll try it when it hits $10 on Steam during holiday sales.

I'm pretty sure you only got a full amount of koins during your first play through in MK9. Could this be the same thing? And if so, would everyone calm down?
If it is simply as the other poster point out with it patching it so it won't give you the full amount per story mode completion then yeah I understand it a bit.
Wouldn't the patch notes say "fixed koin bug" or something in it?
Although we know that the final reward is now 1500 instead of 2500 according to some users, so they did lower it.

ItIsOkBro

Can someone please for the love of god complete story mode for the first time, with patch 101, and report how much koins you get?

The most recent youtube playthrough I could find was one day ago, definitely after patch 1.01, and he won 5000 koins

8rmatfH.png

LAM09

Do you think that games just make themselves? It is and will always be about the money, companies need to operate and pay employees.

Nope, but this practice is shady IMO. I'm not a fan of DLC content in terms of characters, coins, weapons, etc. You should earn such things in the game themselves by completing certain objectives.

The gaming business was doing fine before such things were introduced.

So I'm not trying to defend this, cause it's super shitty no matter how you spin it, but is there any list of what exactly they changed? All I've seen is some reference to a friend of a friend off reddit.

Was it every way of acquiring koins? Just that one boss fight? Was every method reduced by 90%?

There's a weird lack of actual information.

Quoting myself from the last page.

I'm all for internet mobs, and if it's true, it's justified, but the internet is about to explode over what's apparently unverified information.

-MD-

I can deal with the PC issues because it's nothing new but this patch annoys the fuck out of me.

I have to invest 12x the time just so they can push their $20 dlc? Fuck outta here.

LakeEarth

Put the pitchforks down, guys. The 2500 coin payout for beating the boss might be a "first time only" kind of thing. He poster might have just confused it for the patch.

Kuno

Put the pitchforks down, guys. The 2500 coin payout for beating the boss might be a "first time only" kind of thing. He poster might have just confused it for the patch.

Time to close the thread, people.

Top Bottom