• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X listed on Amazon UK (PC/XB1/PS4/360/PS3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaowebb

No. We have had these machines since 2005, and this has been the longest console generation ever (unless you count Atari 2600 as lasting until 1985 when NES came out despite the industry collapsing in 1983). It is time to fucking move on.

I don't want developers having to worry about the least common denominator being machines with 500mb of RAM and antiquated processors.

The fact that fighting games aren't typically that demanding of systems compared to other genres is actually a point IN FAVOR of having MKX be current gen and PC only. Because without having to release a gimped version, Ed Boon and company could shoot for the stars graphically since fighters aren't as demanding and make a game that looks eye-searingly good. And Mortal Kombat has always been a series that benefits from graphics moreso than other fighting series do (my opinion anyway).

Thats cute. Meanwhile I think I'll be busy not giving a shit that you think developers should marginalize fans, make LESS money by having fewer consoles they release on and ...well...in general I believe its just time to head over to Test Your Might and congratulate all the players who I know will be relieved to know that they will still be able to play MK10 without having to go in on new consoles yet.

But hey, have fun with your opinion that they owe you personally an egostroking by developing next gen/PC only and should piss on large areas of the market and potential profits to do so. Its okay though...I doubt you'll stick around anyhow. You only care about stats and are judging a game negatively that you haven't played, seen or know any news on by the fact that its catering to large crowds.

MormaPope

Banned
No. We have had these machines since 2005, and this has been the longest console generation ever (unless you count Atari 2600 as lasting until 1985 when NES came out despite the industry collapsing in 1983). It is time to fucking move on.

I don't want developers having to worry about the least common denominator being machines with 500mb of RAM and antiquated processors.

The fact that fighting games aren't typically that demanding of systems compared to other genres is actually a point IN FAVOR of having MKX be current gen and PC only. Because without having to release a gimped version, Ed Boon and company could shoot for the stars graphically since fighters aren't as demanding and make a game that looks eye-searingly good. And Mortal Kombat has always been a series that benefits from graphics moreso than other fighting series do (my opinion anyway).

People seem to forget one gigantic thing.

Development costs have spiked overall from each gen to the next. Development tools for current gen consoles are still young.

fernoca

We don't have any confirmation of the game even been developed on "those 2005 consoles" first. Heck, for all we know it was built with the PS4/One in mind and then the "2005 version" is downscaled, at lower res, less details, less character damage, etc.

Lets wait till they show (whatever) tomorrow and then some more until there are more impressions. It is quite dumb to assume right now that the game is been held back by the "2005 consoles" when we don't know anything else.

catmario

Anyway, It seems that many guys hates cross-gen. Every time cross-gen title is happening, It always shows better graphics on current-gen(PS4/XBONE). And even gameplay look always same between all versions. Why many people hates cross-gen?

shaowebb

People seem to forget one gigantic thing.

Development costs have spiked overall from each gen to the next. Development tools for current gen consoles are still young.

Exactly. New hardware also means new pipeline and its a long road learning how to maximize development time for new consoles. Case in point...how long did it take for the 360 to start seeing stuff as great as Bioshock? Many years...

Cost is everything. Maximizing profit= MAJOR. New consoles haven't been out long enough to have an install base worth marginalizing last gen console owners. Developers need to maximize profits to succeed. Going crossgen is necessary here. From a development standpoint its smart for profits. From a player standpoint it shows they are considering player wallets and do not wish to isolate fans who haven't bought the next gen consoles. This insures the most people will play which only strengthens the brand popularity and this title on the market.

This is smart and good for EVERYBODY. Sorry folks can't use MK10 to wave around stats and lord their backlog's capabilities over everyone.
No I'm not. Those types of complainers don't even play. They just get a game, hang out for a few days, shelve and spend all their times on forums bitching about how unimpressed they were with everything they ever touched to lord over folks some more.

Whatever, the rest of us can enjoy playing and enjoying a sequel for what it is and enjoy it for what we should be buying it for...THE GAMEPLAY.

Raonak

Banned
Man, after arkham knight, i was hoping cross gen would be going away...

then again, this is a 2.5D fighting game, it isn't really resource starved.

meanspartan

Thats cute. Meanwhile I think I'll be busy not giving a shit that you think developers should marginalize fans, make LESS money by having fewer consoles they release on and ...well...in general I believe its just time to head over to Test Your Might and congratulate all the players who I know will be relieved to know that they will still be able to play MK10 without having to go in on new consoles yet.

But hey, have fun with your opinion that they owe you personally an egostroking by developing next gen/PC only and should piss on large areas of the market and potential profits to do so. Its okay though...I doubt you'll stick around anyhow. You only care about stats and are judging a game negatively that you haven't played, seen or know any news on by the fact that its catering to large crowds.

Huh? By making a game that fits their vision without having to worry about fitting that vision onto old tech they are "marginalizing fans"? Ya, I get not everyone has upgraded to current gen yet, but it's not as if MKX won't be there waiting for them once they finally decide to. Did people think Nintendo marginalized fans when they didn't release Super Mario 64 on SNES? lol

But no reason to get animated about this, you won already. I think we are going to have a very long cross-gen era this time. Business-wise, it makes perfect sense. I just wish that weren't the case.

The Super Mario 64 example is telling actually. Until this generation, cross gen was limited because you simply COULDN'T release current-gen games on last-gen hardware as the tech difference forbade this. Now, old as Ps3/360 are, they are still HD machines and as such can handle ports. And this helps a publisher's bottom line at the expense of gamers. Take Watch Dogs for instance. According to Digital Foundry, Ps3 players got a game which frequently dipped well below 30fps. Current gen owners meanwhile have a game that may have been that much better had it not had to concern itself with the least common denominator. Nobody really got a game fully made for their platform.

Or, look at Arkham Knight and how wonderful it looks to be. Last gen owners HAVE Batman games, three of them. I am glad with this one Rocksteady is moving on and focusing on current tech only.

But anyway, I'm rambling so I'll stop. I apologize for coming off a bit heated in my reply earlier, I hope you see my perspective a bit better.

EDIT: Oh and I DID go over to testyourmight.com to see if indeed I was kind of being a dick in wanting to deny these people the game on last gen, but it seems like plenty there aren't thrilled about cross-gen either: http://testyourmight.com/threads/mortal-kombat-x-listing-surfaces-on-amazon-uk.43388/

I haven't even bought a PS4 or XB1 yet because of their current lineups not enticing me at all, but another cross generation game holy shite. Seems like the 360 and PS3 are going to get at least decent western developer support well into next year at this rate (Japanese support will also still be coming to the PS3 for a while yet I suppose).

i honestly couldn't stand the last two years of ownership of the 360 before i got a ps4 on launch day. GOW eleventeen, halo whatever, blah blah blah. alot of people say that last gen ran three years too long for a reason. anything, and i mean anything different is a breath of fresh air.

if your a dedicated gamer, and your holding on to your old console, its because you cant afford a new one. whether it be because your too young to have a job, or just cant make ends meet at the moment. that simple.

EulaCapra

Can't believe MK vs. DC is numerically considered as Mortal Kombat 8. Eww. Oh well, let's hope they're taking the opportunity in the milestone for something juicy.

Light_Wav3

Neo Member
Can't believe MK vs. DC is numerically considered as Mortal Kombat 8. Eww. Oh well, let's hope they're taking the opportunity in the milestone for something juicy.

Actually Mortal Kombat Armageddon is considered MK8, not MK vs DCU.

Edit: I stand corrected. You are right Eula. Thanks fernoca.

On topic, I'm okay with cross-gen, though I do hope the focus is on XOne, PS4, and PC first, with the PS3 and 360 being a down port from that (though still pushing those consoles to the edge).

first screenshots of ps3 and 360 versions released

6P5YB.jpg

20120501190414.jpg

fernoca

Actually Mortal Kombat Armageddon is considered MK8, not MK vs DCU.

1. Mortal Kombat
  2. Mortal Kombat II
  3. Mortal Kombat 3 / Ultimate
  4. Mortal Kombat 4 / Gold
  5. Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance
  6. Mortal Kombat Deception
  7. Mortal Kombat Armageddon
  8. Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe
  9. Mortal Kombat (2011)
Deadly Alliance's logo was a five (V) too.

Light_Wav3

Neo Member
  1. Mortal Kombat
  2. Mortal Kombat II
  9. Mortal Kombat (2011)

Hahaha. Well I can't count today. Thanks :).

mcz117chief

So wait...people are bitching that they went crossgen to allow everyone to play a sequel they waited years for so they wouldn't force fans to have to shell out hundreds of extra dollars to play it on next gen?

Sorry to piss in your cheerios graphics whores, but this is no sign the game will look bad. Remember some of the stuff we saw on the PS3 and 360? They are easily capable of making a great looking fighter. Boohoo it might not try to go all crazy like KI did with particle effects...doesn't mean they'll make shit models. And in case you forgot...all anyone talked about when MK9 first launched was how great it looked. Yeah it had some wonky models but in its launch days its stages and presentation was tops.

Since then we've seen stuff like DOA5 and such, and while they were hit or miss in Injustice they are definitely improving. Its not an engine thing...its a modeler thing. Check out the high poly models they baked to their low poly's sometime. Shit is great. They still have to improve on doing low poly models prior to baking so they don't turn out off, but going next gen exclusive wont fucking fix that. Its a modeler thing...not a console thing.

Its NRS. They'll make the models as good as they can, and then try to put together a LARGER fighting game than the competition with tons of single player mode stuff for ALL players to enjoy.

Go piss and moan about exclusives elsewhere IMO. Going next gen instead of crossgen aint gonna give you what you want. It'd only isolate fans from the game. Making it so all the MK fans can enjoy this is a major nod to their fans that they aren't going to wall them out of the sequel they hoped to enjoy. Fact that they have PC listed the same year as the rest is great. 360 and PS3 can handle good looking models just fine as DOA5 proves. Its the NRS modelers you should care about if you want to only care about graphics ...not the platforms they release it on.

I swear some folks dont buy games to actually play and enjoy them these fucking days. Seems like some folks just buy them to wave around stats at players of other games as if to say "You guys are still eating shit ? Look at my fancy caviar game here!"

Playing games. Enjoying them. Thats the point. Graphics implementation can be done crossgen and easily. Its on the modelers. Only thing you couldn't do cross gen is shit like the particle effects in KI and while pretty it doesn't make or break gameplay. Get over it and learn to have fun again you elitist shits that can't let other people enjoy getting more of something they love.

Sick of this shit.

A hero of NeoGAF. Thank you, sir, for saying what all true gamers think :)

Lol that's the vita version right? Looked like crap but it was such a great port! Injustice vita is nowhere near as good.

The game looks good enough when you actually play it on a Vita, these pure screenshots dont really do the game any justice :D And it runs smoothly and is a fully featured port.

vita_kombat2.jpg

1. Mortal Kombat
  2. Mortal Kombat II
  9. Mortal Kombat (2011)

Looking at the list, does the Mk community just consider trilogy an upgrade to mk3/ ultimate? I always considered it a different game.

Hmm. I don't think I have ever played regular 3 so i'm not sure how similar they were.

Aske

Hopefully MKX will be as significant an upgrade from MK9 as MK9 was from Armageddon. The game needs to feel much more slick: I hope NRS has been playing a lot of KI. I'd also love to see MK return to its roots in terms of attempted realism; but as long as the fighting mechanics get enough love I'll be happy if the aesthetic stays the same. Cannot wait!

vg260

Some seem to focus on "lol UE3" when the UE in Mortal Kombat and Injustice was heavily modified to have visuals at 720p AND 60fps on consoles back then.

This one we don't even know (probably by tomorrow we will) and in the worst case scenario it could be a quick HD port like Injustice on PS4: 1080p and 60fps.

Actually 60 fps, in the controllable fight parts, but 30 fps for transitions, supers, clashes on PS3, 360, and PS4 :(

Injustice should count as MK10 since they shoe horned Scorpion in there for no good reason.

Raitaro

Getting quite curious myself, despite being mostly a casual fan of MK. Love to bask in the enthusiasm of other people regarding MK though.

What I find very impressive, and saddening at the same time, is that NetherRealm managed to create 3 fighting games (MK 9, Injustice, and MK 10) in the same span of time that Capcom used to create SF4 and release its many iterations up to Ultra. Sure, they did also release Street Fighter x Tekken, but again using very similar assets.

How can it be that Ed Boon seems to have no problem getting new fighting games greenlit at WB, both old and new IP's even, while Ono at Capcom seems to have trouble even getting SF5 greenlit despite the mega success of SF4? I really have no clue, but what I do know is that I would like to see both series / developers continue to flourish in tandem.

Getting quite curious myself, despite being mostly a casual fan of MK. Love to bask in the enthusiasm of other people regarding MK though.

What I find very impressive, and saddening at the same time, is that NetherRealm managed to create 3 fighting games (MK 9, Injustice, and MK 10) in the same span of time that Capcom used to create SF4 and release its many iterations up to Ultra. Sure, they did also release Street Fighter x Tekken, but again using very similar assets.

How can it be that Ed Boon seems to have no problem getting new fighting games greenlit at WB, both old and new IP's even, while Ono at Capcom seems to have trouble even getting SF5 greenlit despite the mega success of SF4? I really have no clue, but what I do know is that I would like to see both series / developers continue to flourish in tandem.

I know this is going to sound like a disgruntled fan response, but Capcom in general has mismanaged the majority of all their IP's. Ironic considering they probably have the greatest line up of franchises in regards to third party developers.

SMZC

So hyped for this. I'm not a fan of fighting games overall, but I've always enjoyed MK (saved for the PS2 ones, which I didn't play at the time). If there's anything I'm hoping for in MKX, it's for it to feature a darker and more somber style. MK9 was great, but I'd like the violence to be less cartoonish and more realistic, in a way. I loved that they went back to what makes the series what it is in that game, but in that effort to go back to the violence and gore, things like the character damage and some of the fatalities and X-Rays were so over the top and overdone that, more often than not, they looked more comical and cartoonish rather than something disturbing to look at. I'd still very much like the series to retain its sense of humor, obviously, but with this darker, more disturbing tone. Something in the lines of MK1-2-3, where, somehow, "simply" ripping someone's head and spine off was (and still is) more impactful than seeing the same character pulling said spine off in addition to using it to break his frozen opponent into a thousand little pieces.

As for the whole cross-gen ordeal, normally I'm in favor of developers making full use of the best hardware available in consoles, but I have to agree with this:

Bitching about this being cross gen is LAUGHABLE. What would change gameplay wise if this was only on current gen consoles? What can be added to a 2D styled Mortal Kombat game that would melt last gen consoles? Tell me, anybody. What can be added that couldn't be added on last gen hardware? It only being on current gen consoles so it can extra effects and better textures sounds like excellent reasoning.

clockpunk

All I hope for are: Frost, and plenty of costumes/fatalities/bone-breaking brutal moves (forget what they are called - just more than a single for each charater to make things a little different each fight).

Always thought NR missed a trick by not releasing remakes of classic fatalities - even as DLC, I'd have bought any additional sets. Same with costumes, in which the team sadly only ever puts out a minimum amount for each character.

KemoSabe

Just bury this fucking last gen.
Nobody needs it anymore.

With stuff like this they should have delayed nextgen until 2015...

No platforms were listed in the trailer and this was posted in the other thread. Maybe the amazon listing was wrong about PS3/360?

Fueled by next-gen technology, Mortal Kombat X combines unparalleled, cinematic presentation with dynamic gameplay to create an unprecedented Kombat experience.

Featuring an original track by Wiz Khalifa titled "Can't Be Stopped."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom