• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X will have console exclusive guest characters

SerTapTap

Aw yiss time to main Darth Vader again.

Seriously though, while I'm mostly okay/indifferent to most platform exclusive/timed exclusive DLC because it's crap, characters in a fighting game are a huge addition. Then again, they're also nothing new--SC2's roster is the first example I can think of where a mutiplat advertised different content on each platform day one (as opposed to enhanced ports.)

Xbox One - Damocles of Ryse would be badass
PS4- Nariko of Heavenly Sword

Don't play with my heart

Yoda

Awww Yea! Xbox avatars.

This can't end well... What about the competitive play and one person is only good with ps4 character but at evo they only use x1?

(Don't just say learn someone else say that person has played other tournaments and has gotten first place with an account exclusive character what then?)

(My question from yesterday when the announcement was made.)

MK doesn't have a competitive scene :).

Compbros

Why not? A Killer Instinct character is the first most plausible ex. character I thought about for the X1.

Because why would MS advertise another fighting game by including one of the characters from their FG? Sure, it could be looked at as advertising but it could also be looked at as "why check out KI when I can play a KI character in MKX?".

erawsd

They should do the Witcher for PC. Since WB is publishing in some territories it wouldn't be that far fetched.

SerTapTap

Because why would MS advertise another fighting game by including one of the characters from their FG? Sure, it could be looked at as advertising but it could also be looked at as "why check out KI when I can play a KI character in MKX?".

If KI were premium only you might have a point, but it might also encourage people to download the "F2P"/super demo version KI has.

Khezu

I don't want a KI guest character. 90% chance it would be Jago, and he kinda sucks.

Would rather have the Keith David from Halo, or a Gears character.

Compbros

Awww Yea! Xbox avatars.

This can't end well... What about the competitive play and one person is only good with ps4 character but at evo they only use x1?

(Don't just say learn someone else say that person has played other tournaments and has gotten first place with an account exclusive character what then?)

(My question from yesterday when the announcement was made.)

Console exclusive characters are banned.

Jawmuncher

Yeah X1 is definitely going to be a Killer instinct character.

With no Kratos i'm wondering who could really fit.
Sweet Tooth as said earlier seems like the best fit.

It's gotta be a KI character for the XBone right?

For the PS4... I don't really know. They could go with Kratos again but that wouldn't be exciting at all. Maybe Sweet Tooth or Nariko from Heavenly Sword? Or maybe the new girl from Hellblade?

For PC it's guaranteed to be something weird like a TF2 character

Lord Fagan

Will PC have Gaben?

...Yeah. If this is the angle we're talking about, I'm sold on this idea.

gabenvszombies.jpg

Never been much of a fan of this console exclusivity horseshit, but life is full of little exceptions.

Hugstable

Banned
PC: Gaben Fighter
Fatality: Steam Sales

PS: Sackboy
Fatality: Stamp/Sticker Attack

Xbox: Cole Traaaaaain
Fatality: COLE TRAIIIIIN WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Remeard

I could see Geralt on PC and a Killer Instinct character for Xbone. As for PS4... I'm not really sure, Deslin is a little too real of a character, as are a lot of Sony's mascots.

As much as I'd love to have Sackboy with all of his wacky gadgets, not gonna happen. Kratos for a second time? Maybe. Maybe they're waiting for a TGS IP announcement?

Or...

Sir_daniel_fortesque.jpg

2San

Because it's fun and their employees are up for it. It's not all business in the gaming industry.

REV 09

Am I the only dude who would go nuts for Marcus Fenix in here? I mean, I know it wouldn't be super conventional, but I think they could do it, and the chainsaw on the Lancer would make for some great Fatalities
That would possibly push me to actually get the XB version. Fenix could be a great fit.

Compbros

Because it's fun and their employees are up for it. It's not all business in the gaming industry.

MS still has to put their stamp of approval on it. The team may be easy going but the decision makers aren't.

Edit: For example, when Kratos was in MK9 they wouldn't allow humiliating fatalities on him. That's the "business" side.

Khezu

They should do the Witcher for PC. Since WB is publishing in some territories it wouldn't be that far fetched.

That's what I have been pushing for.
Old man Geralt would be perfect.
He would even fit in well with the variations.
Swordmanship
Alchemy
Magic.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

I wonder how many people didn't bother checking out Tekken because Soul Calibur 2 had Heihachi?

El Sabroso

Didn't MS secure most tourneys or did I imagine that?

they get instabanned because in competitive play you could play any of the ps of xbox version, so if you learned the ps exclusive character and the tournament is played on xbox version, you have a new problem

Silky

Banned

Compbros you play fighting games, so you know KI and MK play entirely different from each other? It's like including Heihachi in Soul Calibur. Just a fun thing between to developers (Boon digs KI, the DH/IG team digs KI. Hell Iron Galaxy and NetherRealm are both Chicago developers.)

Khezu

For the record, Neatherrealm are not making the PC version in house, it's being ported by a secondary developer, probably High Voltage Software.

That would probably significantly lower the chances of a PC guest character.

kirblar

they get instabanned because in competitive play you could play any of the ps of xbox version, so if you learned the ps exclusive character and the tournament is played on xbox version, you have a new problem
Yup, unfortunately this is what happens.

But they're still awesome for casual play.

2San

MS still has to put their stamp of approval on it. The team may be easy going but the decision makers aren't.
Who says they won't? Again it's not all business even in corporate settings top managers do approve stuff their employees want to do.
Edit: For example, when Kratos was in MK9 they wouldn't allow humiliating fatalities on him. That's the "business" side.
Sure, if we are talking about Master Chief, but we are talking about KI characters here.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
That's not an exclusive title under a different umbrella, that's all Namco.

You gave off the notion that someone wouldn't bother checking out Killer Instinct because they'd already have access to one KI character. I think if anything that would make a person more open to checking out KI if they thought the guest character was badass.

If Sony and Microsoft were smart, they have would let these characters be playable on either console.

That way, you are getting free promotion for the game these characters are from, and they won't be banned in the tournaments.

Remark

Banned
Hoping for the kid from RIME...or Sackboy.
Why all these kiddie-type characters. You want to see Sackboy get ripped shreds and every stich pulled out or you want to see that boy getting is heart ripped out, what skillset would they even have for the boy from RIME?

I personally want Sweet Tooth or Joel and on Xbox Master Chief or Conker

Top Bottom