• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X will have console exclusive guest characters

Jawmuncher

If Sony and Microsoft were smart, they have would let these characters be playable on either console.

That way, you are getting free promotion for the game these characters are from, and they won't be banned in the tournaments.

While no chance in hell. I've wanted to see something like that for ages.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
PS4 - Big Boss
XB1 - Master Chief
Steam - Team Fortress 2 Heavy

The Flash

Banned
Why all these kiddie-type characters. You want to see Sackboy get ripped shreds and every stich pulled out or you want to see that boy getting is heart ripped out, what skillset would they even have for the boy from RIME?

I personally want Sweet Tooth or Joel and on Xbox Master Chief or Conker

Conker is already using his guest privileges to be in Project Spark

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
alan wake and his fleshlight for xbone pls

%2091971d1384362372-thermogenic-list-futurama-fry-not%20.att

Compbros

Compbros you play fighting games, so you know KI and MK play entirely different from each other? It's like including Heihachi in Soul Calibur. Just a fun thing between to developers (Boon digs KI, the DH/IG team digs KI. Hell Iron Galaxy and NetherRealm are both Chicago developers.)

Again, that's all Namco umbrella unlike some first party game sending their character to a third-party game.

Also it still needs Microsoft's sign off, they aren't allowed to do whatever they want. Boon may love it, IG may love it, but without MS' go ahead it can't happen and MS may not want to include a character in a game that may take focus off of there's. I'm trying to figure out why MS would allow that. Again, advertising is a key reason but it could also sate people for KI, have them check out the demo and little else, or even turn them off the game because the character is "better" in MKX.

Ashing far as characters that could fit Playstation would have to be Kratos or sweet tooth. Microsoft will probably put in the guy from Ryse
lol

Not a Soul Calibur II fan, eh?

Nah I love SC2, love playing Link. I just think the time for platform exclusive characters (that end up being DLC the next day like Vader and Yoda for PS3 and 360 in SC4) is over.

Why is a free bonus character shit?

Not the fact that they are free, just the fact that they are platform specific. Just would prefer if every platform had access to the same characters.

Compbros

You gave off the notion that someone wouldn't bother checking out Killer Instinct because they'd already have access to one KI character. I think if anything that would make a person more open to checking out KI if they thought the guest character was badass.

Ah, I'm sorry I worded it like that, my mistake as I've argued in the past that characters in a game can be advertising for your comic or game or what have you. My problem is that MKX may take focus away from KI so why would MS want to advertise another FG by including a character from their fighting game? If it was another genre then it'd be fine but you're now advertising a competitor, I don't know if MS or WB would want that.

Who says they won't? Again it's not all business even in corporate settings top managers do approve stuff their employees want to do.

Sure, if we are talking about Master Chief, but we are talking about KI characters here.

It is all business, everything they do must make "business" sense. MS may not want to advertise another game in the same genre as there's by putting one of their characters in it. WB may feel the same about not advertising KI in their fighting game.

KI characters may not be exempt, have you seen the fatalities in MKX? I'm not sure if MS would want Jago's eyes popping out before his head explodes. Who knows though?

theWB27

Nah I love SC2, love playing Link. I just think the time for platform exclusive characters (that end up being DLC the next day like Vader and Yoda for PS3 and 360 in SC4) is over.

Not the fact that they are free, just the fact that they are platform specific. Just would prefer if every platform had access to the same characters.

So you'd rather the characters come from a universe where they can be on any platforms rather than come from the platforms staple of characters?

If the characters were exclusive to a platform to begin then what's the harm? You'd never see Kratos on a MS platform and you won't see Master Chief on a Sony platform. It's just that..a bonus.

Khezu

To be honest, I don't think the Xbone version will even get a guest character.

I think only the PS4 version will, and it will be Delsin from Infamous Second Son.

So you'd rather the characters come from a universe where they can be on any platforms rather than come from the platforms staple of characters?

Yes.

I like the idea of characters from specific platforms but not if it excludes them from being on other platforms if you get what I mean. And since they are exclusive to platforms they would never be on the other ones anyway of course.

If the characters were exclusive to a platform to begin then what's the harm? You'd never see Kratos on a MS platform and you won't see Master Chief on a Sony platform. It's just that..a bonus.
I get that it's just a bonus I just think its odd.

malfcn

Delsin with 2 different powers would fit in.

How did the Soul Calibur characters work out?
There was Spawn and Link.
Then in another it was Star Killer and Yoda.

Exclusive characters are kind of dumb.

jbug617

Banned
I think a Sony guest character is confirmed because it was at their E3 conference so I can see them keep an association with the game. MS didn't allow NRS to put a console character for the 360 version so let's see if they can make it happen this time.

Drayco21

I'm expecting Delsin and Fulgore. I imagine both would work pretty well, and are the kind of characters the console makers would want to push as advertising.

Top Bottom